Fermentation Without Representation - Epic Brewing Company

Fermentation Without RepresentationFermentation Without Representation

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 11-06-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 276-300 | 301-325 | 326-350  | next › last »
drabmuh

Maryland

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I liked the DC Brau version slightly better. Served in a DC Brau pint glass because I don't have an Epic beer glass, get off my back.

Beer is dark brown and clear with a tan head with low retention, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma is sweet and spicy with only a hint of pumpkin.

Beer is not as pumpkiny as one might like, medium bodied, interesting but boring at the same time, mostly allspice coming through, it was fine but the Brau version was better.

11-18-2011 04:33:25 | More by drabmuh
mrsdrabmuh

Maryland

11-18-2011 03:18:46 | More by mrsdrabmuh
djre4orm

11-17-2011 19:50:12 | More by djre4orm
Thorpe429

3.55/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle picked up from Rick's in Alexandria. Served in a Three Floyds / Intelligentsia mini-snifter.

Pours a nearly-black deep brown color with a thin light tan head and not much in the way of lacing. Thin tan collar as it goes down. The nose carries some light pumpkin spice and plenty of porter character. Fairly roasty with a bit of chocolate. Faint spice. Flavor has chocolate and a fair amount of roast. Medium body with light carbonation and a nice full mouthfeel. Not over the top in any direction. Well done.

11-17-2011 02:17:36 | More by Thorpe429
horrorspecialty

11-16-2011 21:23:40 | More by horrorspecialty
Chaney

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

Release #1: Brewed on: October 2, 2011. Packaged on: October 17, 2011.

I poured this into my DuClaw Colossus snifter because Huzuhbendah still has my Cigar City one. Boo!!!

A: Poured a pitch black, with a soft, web-like mocha head that settled down into a small pile of sawdust. Porterific appearance!

S: I was really taken aback by the weirdness of the pumpkin spice mix in this setting and with Epic's/DC Brau's malt profile. Sort of a chocolate-squash compound with added vanilla beans, pumpkin pie spices (cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, etc), and slight bit of stomach acid.

T: I actually got more gourd and bitter chocolate than actual pumpkin spices. I would call this more of a vegetable-chocolate creation... something akin to zucchini bread rather than pumpkin pie. I got squash/pumpkin and a mere dash of the spice on the front and mid part of this, followed by a nice bitter coffee-raw cacao wallop on the finish.

M: This was remarkable well-tempered in terms of its use of spicy and sweet elements, and definitely had a "homemade" feel to it. Thick, but far from syrupy. Chocolately, but far from candy-like... and the carbonation was slight, and played second fiddle to everything else, just like I like it.

O: I think a lot of the negative reviews have been as a result of unfulfilled expectations. If you're looking for a decadent dessert beer, look elsewhere. This is not "T.R.E.A.T," nor does it claim to be. This is "S.Q.U.A.S.H.O.L.A.T.E!"

Bravo Epic and DC Brau... you should be very proud of this one.

11-15-2011 07:35:16 | More by Chaney
Rukasu

3.18/5  rDev -17%

The DC Brau edition is better. Period.

Tried the DC Brau version last week on tap, and really enjoyed it, so I stocked up on Epic's bottled version (Whole Foods Fair Lakes).

Epic's version has a great scent, faint spices, with a slight smokiness.

Appearance is on par with DC Brau's, but the taste is a little off.

It's definitely much more bitter, with an almost a lemon pucker factor. The alcohol content also seems to add a bit more 'warmth' than the DC Brau version, which isn't entirely a negative.

Otherwise it's fairly similar and am overall pleased with it, I just think DC Brau might have the edge here.

11-14-2011 01:45:38 | More by Rukasu
7ate9

2.33/5  rDev -39.2%

Pours nice and black with an attractive small-bead foam tan head. The sniff is not attractive, what little of it there is. Even after warming there is barely a thing to snuff on. Mild roast, slight veggie pumkin-squashiness, but most prominent is a metallic taste. I can only smell spices if I try to imagine it really hard with my brain parts. Taste follows pretty closely to the smell. A metallic twang on the finish really makes it hard to swallow. A bit light on body but the carbonation helps lend a nice fluffy full feeling. It's just not there.

11-13-2011 20:56:18 | More by 7ate9
Daniellobo

4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Pretty nice pumpkin porter, well rounded and a worthy collaboration.

Presentation: 22 oz brown capped bottle. Paper label with a simple light cream and soft orange range, with name of the brew and series/collaboration branding. I'm getting used to these labels and this is not one of the worst, still it feels a bit generic and trite design-wise (A bit of a pity to miss the opportunity to gain more visibility with the neat name of the brew). Side narrative offers a small note about the special and limited character of the brew. Notes release #2, and 7.9 % Alc. by Vol. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Black pour with deep brown edges, rich frothy head with nice retention and strong surface memory alongside pretty lacing. Quite a looker...

S - Pumpkin range, touch of spice and an emerging sense of roasted malts….

T - Nice roasted pumpkin sense, overall rich malty range with touches of chocolate and coffee under the flow of the pumpkin and spice. Small bitter spiced intensity in the finish, which is a bit unbalanced but nothing off-putting… Soft vanilla memory lingering in the aftertaste.

M - Medium body with medium/moderate carbonation. Pretty smooth flow with a nice lingering aftertaste.

O - Pretty nice brew, pleasing and well worth the try.

Notes: Glad to see a collaboration that tries something a touch unusual, and involving one of the best upcoming breweries in the region. EPIC on the other half of the equation is a nice surprise, this combo is among the best stuff I've tried from them.

11-13-2011 03:08:18 | More by Daniellobo
loren01

Oregon

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Pours into snifter a black color, small sized tan head with no lacing.
S: Smells much like a porter would. Roasted grains, chocolate and a little bit of spices and pumpkin
T: Lots of roasted malts, chocolate, coffee followed by a little pumpkin and pumkin spice flavor
M: Medium bodied, seems a little under carbonated and flat
O: This is an interesting beer, I think its the 1st pumpkin beer ive had thats been a dark beer. I kinda like the balance between the roasted malts and pumpkin.

11-12-2011 20:33:21 | More by loren01
billab914

3.83/5  rDev 0%

22oz bottle poured into my Dogfish glass. It poured black in color with a thick, foamy tan head to it. Very good head retention and lacing as I drank it.

The aroma shows some pumpkin pie spices to it, but it's milder and smoother then most pumpkin spiced beers. I also get some raw pumpkin mixing with some chocolaty, cocoa like flavors. I liked that the spices were a little more reserved.

In the taste I get a little more of the porter character coming out. I get a little more chocolate to it with a moderate roasty, slight coffee like flavors. The pumpkin and spices come in more on the back end. Again the spices are pretty mild and I get more of a raw pumpkin, squash like flavor.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and carbonation is moderate. Overall I thought it was a pretty good beer. I really liked that the spices were a little more reserved in it and some actual pumpkin seemed to come out. There are tons of spice bombs out there so it was a little refreshing for me that this was a little different. The porter characteristics were nice as well and the flavors worked pretty well together. Overall a pretty nice beer of the style.

11-12-2011 00:06:54 | More by billab914
siege06nd

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Alright, man I'm excited to try this one, a collaboration between Epic and one of my very favorite breweries, DC Brau. Poured into my Guinness British pint glass....

A: This thing is black. Pitch black. If I didn't know any better, I'd say I was having a stout. Four fingers of mocha colored head explode upon pouring, and slowly fade to a light tan color, but only recede to two fingers. The head on this is extremely thick and very bubbly: bonus points.

S: Lots of raw pumpkin, allspice, cinnamon and clove. Giving it a hard swirl allows some of the sweet chocolate and the lightest of roasted coffee bean aromas to escape. This is a very pumpkin forward beer, but the porter characteristics begin to come out more as it warms and as you swirl it. One of the few pumpkin beers where I actually get more raw pumpkin than I do pumpkin spice. Very well done.

T: Smooth, creamy chocolate on the front with raw pumpkin and some pumpkin pie spices on the mid. Hmmmm. If the nose was pumpkin forward, the taste is very porter forward. A little creamier than I expected. Chocolate is the dominant flavor, followed by pie spices and coffee roast. A little too much porter and not enough pumpkin for my taste. Not bad, but a little disappointed.

M: Curiously flat feel to this. It's extremely thick and chewy and reminds me quite a bit of Guinness. But it seems under-carbonated. The balance also seems off, as the chocolate and coffee from the porter really kind of overwhelm the pumpkin. I'm having a hard time discerning the two.

O: In all fairness, I've never had a Pumpkin Porter before. That being said, I was disappointed by this one. Maybe I just don't like the style, but I felt that the pumpkin/porter flavors could have been integrated better, as the porter side of this beer dominates the pumpkin. The smell gave me a lot of promise, but ultimately, the taste didn't live up to it. Also think the carbonation on this needs to be ratcheted up a touch. This one is slightly flat, sticky sweet, and really heavy. A decent brew and worth checking out, but I don't see myself revisiting this.

11-10-2011 21:09:27 | More by siege06nd
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

Epic Collaboration with DC Brau.

From Epic's website:

"Brewed on: October 10, 2011. Packaged on: October 25, 2011.

Our first ever collaborative beer has all the familiar flavors of the season, but done with Epic style. To a base of strong, roasty, and chocolaty porter, we add 200 pounds of real pumpkin per batch, five spices and whole Madagascar vanilla beans. As you pour this deeply ruby brown beer, you’re greeted by the aroma of fresh cut squash,followed by rich chocolate. The flavor starts sweet with marshmallow,vanilla, and some pumpkin pie, then yields to a coffee roast and darkchocolate dryness. This beer is a great introduction for curious drinkers and a special holiday treat for fans of the style."

Poured into my new Cigar City snifter... pretty decent dark tan head... nice retention and lacing... the brew is deep dark brown that shows garnet highlights on the stem end of my glass.

Nose is a pretty good porter ... dry cocoa and then the spices come out swinging... clove.. ginger... nutmeg and cinnamon...

Flavor mirrors the nose with a sweet spice up front that gives way midpalate to a dry roasty malt and bittersweet chocolate... finish lingers with ginger and nutmeg.

Body is a solid medium with good small bubble carbonation.

I normally don't really appreciate beers with spices, but this one shows a judicious hand... nicely done, but finishing the bomber is going to be a chore for me.

4/3.5/4/4/3.5