Double Skull Doppelbock Lager - Epic Brewing Company

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Doppelbock |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 12-31-2011

Originally brewed as liquid bread by fasting monks this Doppelbock is rich and filling. Crisp and delicious for the winter months.
3.16/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I got a bottle of Epic Brewing's Double Skull Doppelbock Lager that my friend brought over to share with me. It's been a while since I've had a Doppelbock and I'm interested to see what Epic can do with the style, so lets see how it goes. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got the typical Epic label layout with a couple skulls on it to go with the name, it's a little eye catching. It poured a clear slightly darker copper color that took on more of a caramel color when held to the light with a fingers worth of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't really leave any lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking beer, the head and lacing were a little weak, but the color was really nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight brown sugar like aroma to it followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a grainy, caramel malt, slightly nutty, and bread crust like aromas with a slight amount of doughy yeast in the background. Up next comes the hops which impart a slightly herbal and very earthy aroma that stands out a little more than it should. This beer had a decent aroma, but it wasn't the truest to style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight brown sugar like flavor to it followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those aspects that I got in the aroma with the grainy and caramel malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a light alcohol flavor that isn't too noticeable and it's followed by the hops that impart a light herbal flavor with the earthy hops sticking out the most, with a lower amount of bitterness and a grainy, caramel malt and earthy aftertaste. This was Ok tasting beer, but it wasn't really what I look for in the style and the earthyness stuck out too much.

M- Fairly smooth, a little rich, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and the lower carbonation worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was just ok and I didn't think it was a good example of Doppelbock, it lacked some of those nice roasted malt and dark fruit flavors that I look for in the style, but the alcohol wasn't too strong and the bitterness was at the right level. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little rich, a little filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, one glass is enough for me, I feel no need to drink another. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was a pretty nice looking beer and it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was strong earthy aspect, it would be better if it was toned down a good amount. I wouldn't buy this beer and I wouldn't recommend it as a good Doppelbock since it isn't the truest of the style to me. All in all I was little let down with this beer, Epic has proven to be pretty solid, but this one was lacking in most all aspects. It isn't close to my favorite of the style and it's one of my least favorite Epic beers. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some work.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Epic Brewing Double Skull Dopplebock Lager.

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a perfect pint glass. Served lightly chilled.

A) Copper colored brew with a full finger of cream colored head. The head slowly settles to a wispy dusting. Nice lacing too...

S) Malty sweetness... Caramel, a little butterscotch. Earthy hops, whiff of grass. Alcohol as it warms.

T) Follows the nose... Malty, buttery toast, caramel, earthy hops, and some spice on the backend. The alcohol stays pretty well hidden, but it's worth noting. Decent aftertaste...

M) Solid medium body with pretty soft carbonation. Goes down smooth enough. Bitter finish with a little booze.

O) I enjoyed this beer. I'd say a bit more at a colder temp. I'd rather drink a Celebrator or Korbinian, but this was a nice dinner beer.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Release # 17. ABV 8.1% per label. SLC # 1187 (whatever that means).

Pours a clear dark copper with a foamy tan head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small swaths form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of toasted malt, caramel, earth, and corn tortilla aromas. Taste is much the same with malt, caramel, toast, and earth flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of toast bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a fairly rich and filling quality in the taste.

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Clear brown colored beer with a medium sized light brown colored head.

Smells mildly sweet with lots of caramel and a herbal and soapy hop aroma. Mild nut and coffee aromas.

Tastes much like it smells. Mildly sweet with caramel and nuts. Slight soapy taste. Pecan nut flavor and slight pecan pie flavor. Slight vanilla taste.

Mouthfeel is thick.

Overall an OK Doppelbock. This is a bit sweeter than I like.

3.33/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle label info: Release #16, 8.5% ABV, Den# 1324

Poured out a nice copper red color and lots of active carbonation that produced a decent one-finger thick head. Slight caramel and taffy (i.e., the sugary candy) aroma. Flavor reinforced the malt smell plus had a big punch of hop bitterness. Medium bodied, crisp and clean finish.

An OK doppelbock that doesn't quite get much above average in all departments. The biggest thing is a rather weak and somewhat disjointed malt balance. Certainly not anything to avoid, but there are better examples of the style out there.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Bomber from the brewery. Release 17 was bottled Nov 2, 2013 according to the website. This batch was 8.1 ABV. Poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: Very clear garnet, a beautiful color. This pour had very little head on it.

Smell: All malts here with a dash of noble herbal hops. The malts have a deep caramel smell and are a but nutty. Very nice.

Taste: Not quite chocolate, more a sort of cola flavor. I know that may sound odd for a beer, but this works really well. The malts are the highlight here and this lager shows them off well. This maybe a bit sweeter than most. Not too shabby.

Mouthfeel: A little sticky, with a lingering subtle sweetness. The flavors are long lasting and coat the moat. The carbonation is on the lower side.

Overall: I have not had many doppel bocks, but I did enjoy this beer. I need to try a few more.

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

middle of the road for the style. its got a gorgeous dark copper color and an inch of cream colored head with decent lasting power. the nose is rich and sweet, lots of grain in this brew. caramel and toffee radiate from it, as do some more earthy smoked type of notes, big and bold and alcoholic too. the flavor is a lot like the nose, but doesn't quite find the balance or intrigue to make it world class. its a little heavy too, even for the style, which makes a bomber a lot to get through, but I appreciate it in a one bottle winter context, the strength of this got the best of me for sure. caramel type sweetness in the finish, dominates what would be quick finishing lager yeast. that part of the beer comes across sloppy, and despite all the good grain flavor here, I cant get past that bit. full bodied as they come, huge for a lager, and filling too. booze comes out only when it warms up, so watch out. could stand a touch more carbonation too, as it stands it felt more like a german based barleywine, not so much a dopplebock as I am accustomed to.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a minimal head and has a wine-colored brown, much the color of a fine cognac. The nose is somewhat elusive at first. The first noticeable impression is the great substantial mouth feel. Almost bready. The nutty flavors were fruity with a bit of raisins thrown in. Very dry lingering taste that is somewhat woody and mild brown sugars. Alcohol is noticeable in the taste, but not unpleasant at all. The ABV is a bit high for the style. I can imagine this would be great with some sauerkraut and a great braut and a pretzel. Very solid for the style, especially for the price. Going to stock up on this one.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a brownish amber with an off white head. Aroma is bready, some brown sugar, a little fruity. Flavor followed suit. A crisp, medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, I quite enjoyed this one. I actually didn't get much alcohol in the flavor or aroma as alluded to by so many others here, so it appears I got lucky. Gonna have to give this another shot for sure since I enjoyed it as much as I did, and also because I'd love to see if I got lucky or if they fixed the alcohol showing itself issue.

3.39/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful dark reddish amber color in the Duvel tulip. Plenty of foam in the glass and carbonation in the mouth. The aroma is a very funny sweet candy sort of smell. The first sip is just plain sweet. Burnt sugar, a perfumey peculiar flavor, and some bitterness in the aftertaste.

I'm not sure when, or with what, this beer would be the right drink, but I'm thinking gingerbread with a Jim Beam chaser. It definitely should be colder than the brief cooling I gave it in the refrigerator. I think ice cold would be good for this one. But I'm going to try a dose of it in the mediocre Wit I just opened. I like strong beers but this one doesn't have the complexity of something like the Shmaltz malt bombs. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Servall Liquor in San Diego.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%