Elder Brett: Saison-Brett Golden Ale - Epic Brewing Company

Elder Brett: Saison-Brett Golden AleElder Brett: Saison-Brett Golden Ale

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.80% ABV

Epic Brewing Company’s latest barrel-aged beer brings something new—wild yeast. This brew is a collaboration ale with Crooked Stave Artisan Brewing of Fort Collins, Colorado. Chad Yakobson, brewmaster/owner of Crooked Stave, is well known for his skill and knowledge in the brewing of sour and Brettanomyces driven beers. The beer was brewed at Epic by the two brewers. Kevin Crompton, Epic’s brewmaster, and Chad spent several weeks working on the recipe and selecting the proper Brett strains and barrels for the beer to morph from a golden Sasion into a Saison-Brett Golden Ale.

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 01-28-2012)
4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce bottle, Release #2 (9.6% ABV, Brewed on December 12, 2011. Packaged on November 14, 2012). Served in a Unibroue tulip, the beer pours a slightly hazy gold color with about a half inch white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. Aroma is very nice, the brew smells like apple juice, brett, green grapes, lemon peel, and some peach. Taste is similar to the aroma, the brew tastes like brett, green grapes/grape skins, white wine, green apples, bready malt/grain, pears, lemon peel and some light peppery spice. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, with a moderate amount of carbonation. I thought this was a good brew, I'd like to pick up some more. $11.99 a bottle.

bluejacket74, Feb 08, 2013

SupremePie, Feb 06, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Snifter, reviewed from notes. Thanks for sharing Dan!

A: Pour a very pale yellow, lighter than apple juice, with almost no head that faded into a thin collar leaving spotty lace.
S: Super brett on the nose, very earthy and dry. I get hints of green apple and vinous notes of white wine.
T: Buttery taste full of brett, smooth buttery oak, golden fruits, and white wine. I’m getting some sugary honey in the aftertaste. Spicy and dry.
M: Light clean and smooth mouthfeel with fine carbonation.
O: Very good, fairly complex, with a great brett-white wine profile. I enjoyed this one, thank again Dan.

scottfrie, Feb 03, 2013
4.11/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle into a tall tulip

A: Pours a very clear light golden color with active carbonation throughout. A finger of head forms on a fairly vigorous pour.

S: Reminds me of Crooked Stave. Very fruity - pineapple and lemon with a slight lactic sourness. A touch of barnyard and a nice white wine aroma.

T: Again, I am assuming they must have used Chad Yakobsen's yeast here - it reminds me of his beer. Light lactic acid with lemon peel, pineapple, and a hint of mustiness. The yeast is very distinct in his beers. I get a strong white wine flavor as well that pairs very well with the yeast to give a nice sweetness to balance the tartness and slight acidity. As I keep sipping, I get a grassiness and floral taste that adds to the complexity. No hint of ABV.

M: A bit on the thick side for the style with strong carbonation. Good.

O: I really like this beer - like I said, it really reminds me of Crooked Stave. I wish there was a bit more funk and spiciness to it, but the flavors mix very well together. It's insanely drinkable, too. The white wine and slight sourness supplement each other well and the tartness, floral and grassy nature, and slight funkiness complements this well. Oh, and so drinkable - I finished the bomber with no problem at all.

coreyfmcdonald, Feb 01, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

ste5venla, Jan 31, 2013

spoony, Jan 28, 2013
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Release #2. The bottle says 9.5%, but the website says 9.6%.

I love the concept of this beer. I like Saisons, I like Brett beers, I have been hearing great things about Crooked Stave, I dig the whole Mormon reference, and so on. But Epic missed a HUGE opportunity with this beer by not using Elder flowers, which I found intoxicating in Mamouche. I'm just saying.

To the beer!

It has a little chill haze, and a thin head that disappears post-haste, leaving little to no lacing. Smells good, though. It's a little funky, and promises to be sour. And sure enough, it IS sour. It's not mouth-puckering, though. It's like a liquid SweeTart, if one of the flavors were "funk".

This is a fun beer. It's fairly easy drinking. It never really develops beyond the initial impressions, however. I was hoping it would keep revealing itself to me over time.

DaveAnderson, Jan 26, 2013
3.49/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip out of a 22oz bomber.

Pours a clear medium gold with barely some thin wispy traces of a head. Plenty of carbonation with small bubbles rising throughout but all quickly dissipate when they reach the surface. No lacing either.

An average amount of funk in the aroma but not quite to the level that I was expecting. A little bit of grape and oak reminiscent of a Chardonnay along with lemon/lime and some white bread.

The brett is even less pronounced in the flavor, unfortunately. There is more grape skin and oak but it is subdued as well. A bit of tart lemon and lime come through nicely complimenting the tartness from the wild yeast. Mouthfeel is a bit thin which is ok for the style but the finish is not at all crisp and dry like it should be.

Overall, I am a bit disappointed with this beer. I really wish all of the flavors were more forward and less muddled. I was really hoping this was going to be a Brett bomb. An ok beer but really not worth putting tons of effort into seeking out.

rangerred, Jan 16, 2013

Jordantb313, Jan 12, 2013

AdamP, Jan 11, 2013
3.55/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours a very transparent apple juice color with almost no head. Very fruity (almost apple cider like) flavor, with a mild brett finish. The flavors are all very mild, while I prefer stronger flavors in my beer. Overall I enjoyed drinking this, and would order it on tap, but it is not anywhere close to being the best in this category. Purchased at Valley Beverage Company in Sherman Oaks, CA.

TheAngryBurrito, Jan 10, 2013
3.66/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I have a huge amount of respect for Crooked Stave, so I just had to give this one a shot. 2012 vintage:

Bright, clear straw gold with loads of quick consistent beading. A finger of stubborn paper white carbonation retains well, leaving a good amount of lacing behind.

Smells as bright as it looks... sour apples, sweet grains, not quite as pungent as I hoped.

Pale fruit skins and white grapes on the palate. Very light, very approachable... not what I would expect from Crooked Stave but it certainly is palatable. A subtle abstract funk surfaces at the finish, along with a rather wet mouthfeel. I'm excited to see what the brett does with some age on it.

yamar68, Jan 10, 2013

MarkyMOD, Jan 09, 2013
3.14/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Thanks Jeff. Served in a cervoise. Pale yellow. Bready and Bretty. Lemon and a bit of grain. Flavor a bit phenolic. Moderate carbonation. Dry.

Thorpe429, Jan 09, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

LambicKing, Jan 09, 2013

Hanzo, Jan 07, 2013

This bottle is release #2, which clocks in at 9.5% ABV

A: Very clear, light golden color. Very little head.

S: Definite white wine character, green grapes, lemon citrus, bananas, a little funk and tart.

T: The front is very smoothe and sweet, the middle brings in the tart funk with zesty lemons and chardonnay, finishes, semi dry with some grainy notes. Alcohol is fairly well covered, but you can clearly feel its warmth.

M: Light, and clean

O: Not as tart as I was expecting it to be. The aroma gives notes of that tart quality, but the flavor is much more smoothe and cider like. I enjoyed this beer, just not what I thought it was going to be.

cocojoe, Dec 31, 2012

SportsandJorts, Dec 24, 2012
4.9/5  rDev +21.9%

Release #2, 9.5% ABV. Purchased from Epic Brewery's store in Salt Lake on 12/14/12 and consumed on the same night. 22 oz. bomber into an epic pint glass.

A- Very light blonde color, crystal clear. Not much head to it, what little head it had dissipated very soon after pouring. No haze or cloudiness to this beer. Some bubbles rising up but not too heavily carbonated.

S- Smells sour,I pick up notes of apple and pear, maybe even some peach. Not much hop aroma but I love the smell of sour that is accompanied by a slight touch of alcohol scent. At 9.5% I would imagine it nearly impossible to hide the boozy smell.

T- Dear God this tastes like heaven as far as Saisons are concerned. Smooth where you want it to be smooth, crisp where you want it to be crisp, and sour where you want sour. It isn't overly winey like a lot of saisons, it still keeps it's beer character. Good malt notes and DELICIOUS fruity esters. It bites the tip of your tongue and finishes smooth. The perfect amount of carbonation. Despite being 9.5% I really can't taste much alcohol. Perfectly well balanced.

M- Light body, well attenuated. Perfect amount of carbonation. Not to sharp on the palate but also not to mild. This beer amazes me. The best Saison I have ever had.

O- As I mentioned, the best Saison I have ever had, and I have had quite a few, several being award winners. Perfect balance of fruity esters and malt. I could drink this often but at $12 a bottle, I' m afraid my wallet will only allow me to drink it on occasion, when released. In short, if you ever have the chance to try this beer...DO IT! Your palate will thank you.

Ryanbux, Dec 15, 2012

ZippyThePinhead, Dec 01, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Bomber directly from the brewery poured into my perfect pint. This one is from release two, with 9.5 %ABV. Epic website does not have info up for batch two. This was released fairly recently.

Appearance: A nice effervescent crystal clear pale straw. Lots of nice bubbles streaming to the surface, almost looks like champagne. Leaves a sheet of lacing as I drink it down.

Smell: I get a lot of white wine notes that smell very dry and almost sharp. I do not get "horse blanket". I am new to brett beers, so take my review with a grain of salt. I do get a musty cellar sort of smell, I do not recognize it so it must be from the Brett?

Taste: Starts out white wine like, then goes a little funky with a good mix of barrel and brett (I assume). The finish finally returns to more familiar "beer-like" territory at the end. The wine note is a touch sweet with fruit notes as the beer warms, but certainly not cloying. The grain note on the end is light with a cracker taste. Very complex. I do not want the bottle to end.

Mouthfeel: A lighter beer in the body with plentiful carbonation that is still smooth.

Overall: This is a very interesting take on beer and I am glad to have tried it. I certainly will not get it often with it being 12 a bottle, a little steep for my tastes. Very happy to have this available in the market. I hope they are careful with the yeast.

kagent777, Nov 27, 2012

JeffreyJDavis, Nov 27, 2012

Bottle from a tasting, thanks. Beer is yellow and mostly clear with a white head, moderate carbonation, a nice set of lacing.

Aroma is brett and there is a nice spicy floral notes.

Beer is decent, a nice brett funkiness and very floral in the palate. It doesn't seem like something i would like but it turns out to work together. I do like this beer, a lot. I'd have it again.

drabmuh, Nov 04, 2012