Utah Sage Saison - Epic Brewing Company

Utah Sage SaisonUtah Sage Saison

Epic Brewing Company visit their website
Utah, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 02-01-2012)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%

22 oz. bomber, Release #2,

A: Pours a lovely almost opaque ochre with a full 3 finger Duvel like head. Very creamy bubbles that stick around a lot, still have a 2 finger head well into the glass, reminds me of meringue.

S: Sage city, definitely reminescent of Du BUFF and all of its incarnations. Hints of clove and lemon. Smells like a spring meadow. Also a bit of the seaside/cove/seaweed on the back end. There are a myriad of ways to interpret this. Just lovely.

T: Flavour is quite herbal as I expect. Lemon zest, pepper, very yeasty and spicy. Rosemary and sage dominate with a hint of herbal wood, eucalyptus and lemongrass.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy, has a bigger mouthfeel than I expected. Creamy, spicy finish.

O: A very good saison. Fans of Du BUFF will certainly be a fan of this beer by Epic. Very well done, QPR is excellent, and this would make a very intriguing food pairing beer, I want some roast pheasant, who's with me? A first impression like this makes me want to run out and try everything they make.

4.43/5  rDev +13%

Thanks to jtd1969 for sharing this bottle with me.

A - hazy copper gold with a soft, white head

S - sage through and through

T - sage, mild yeast, herbal, orange peel, earthy

M - medium bodied, crisp, well carbonated

This was delicious. I love herbs in beer. This will be over the top for some, but for me this was fantastic. The yeast and malt laid a perfect foundation to play nice with the sage. I probably couldn't have more than one of these at a time, but I'll definitely have it again.

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Straight pour from 22oz pry-off bottle to a 25cl Duvel Single tulip; no clear bottling date here, but “RELEASE #5 7.5%ALC. /VOL” is printed in black ink on near the bottom-right corner of the label, parallel to the edge. According to the Epic website, this was brewed on July 20, 2012, and bottled on August 17, 2012 so this is about six and a half weeks old.

Appearance (5.0): The pour yields a solid 3-4 finger head that takes a very long time to die down, webs and spots of lace evenly-spaced all over the sides of the glass. The head is milk-white and cratery, and pretty much perfect. The body is a hazy yellow gold color. To be honest, I’m not sure the appearance can get much better, this is great.

Smell (4.0): Sage. Sage, sage, sage. Not surprising, quite frankly, and I do enjoy it. There’s some coriander underneath, along with a sweet, citrusy character like tangerine juice. There’s a nice, biscuity / bready malt character like fresh bread.

Taste (4.5): Like with the nose, the sage sticks out pretty clearly here, giving a light, earthy character along with a moderately bitter herbal flavor. The hops add a nice dimension here, with a moderate, pithy bitterness and moderate grapefruit note. The malt body fleshes it out, with more of that biscuity, fresh bread character. It finishes with a mild to moderate but long-lasting herbal bitterness; this is very nicely balanced, and just lovely.

Mouthfeel (3.5): A little subdued on the carbonation, tingling near the end but mostly just subtle for the duration. It’s just on the light side of medium and finishes slighty dry; no sign of any alcohol. Not a bad feel, but not as effervescent as it should be.

Overall (4.5): I love saisons, and I love sage. This does both very well, and the product is nicely balanced and drinks very well for a saison at 7.5% ABV. I’d love it if something like this was available in 12oz packages, this is too good to be a limited release in my opinion. The only thing I’d love to change with this is to bump up the citrusy hop flavor, especially considering this was hopped with Centennial, Citra, and Calypso, and dry-hopped with Citra. But this is great, and I enjoy it quite a bit.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked this one up on Small Business Saturday from the brewery. This is release 11 and was bottled Nov 12, 2013, So I am having it less than 3 weeks in the bottle. Good Deal! All breweries need to put this info on their websites, it can't be too hard to do. Bell's does this also.

Appearance: A slightly hazy light golden beer with a thin film of foam. No problems

Smell: Some nice herbs and spices picked up in the smell. A distinct, but not overpowering sage and floral aroma. I also get rosemary and the website confirms it. Awesome smell, reminds me of a spring garden.

Taste: The beer starts with a spicy note. I am not sure if this is from the yeast or the sage added or if the two just really work well together. A touch of floral hoppy bitterness keeps what little sweetness there is in check. A balanced, but not weak, mix of flavors.

Mouthfeel: Fine prickly carbonation lift the already lighter beer a little higher. There is a bit of slickness as well.

Overall: I really like this beer. Give this one a try for a nice recasting of a traditional saison. I really enjoyed it.

4.29/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy straw yellow with a thick foamy white head that leaves gobs of lacing with each sip. The scent is very strongly influenced by the sage and I love it. I would like to see more use of various herbs in beer. It makes sense with this style too. In addition to the sage is a scent of pepper and a musty yeast influence.

The taste is similar to the scent with a strong sage influence. It then progresses briefly to a unique citrus yeast flavor and sharply finishes with cracked pepper dryness. Great progression of flavor that is refreshing and unique. The mouthfeel is very lively with a lighter body. As the first beer I have had from this brewery I was very impressed and enjoyed the herbal qualities.

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Release #12

Served in a DC Brau can glass. I just finished a "Corruption," so I just used the same glass.

A: Poured out a glistening, apricot orange color, with a whopping 3-4 finger white head. Murky, cloudy, you know the drill.

S: Hmmm... Not a coriander bomb which is a pleasant departure. Actually, this had quite a gingersnap/sage disposition (hence the name, I guess) as well as some quality, orange juice infusion.

T: Exactly like the smell, and with a strong piny backbone imbedded in the spice component. Not too sweet and the fresh-filtered water flair was to die for.

M: Spritzy and bubbly, just the way I like my saisons. No syrup in this puppy.

O: I really dug it. I'm gonna have to remember the whole sage thing for my next saison home-brew.

Utah Sage Saison from Epic Brewing Company