Utah Sage Saison - Epic Brewing Company

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 02-01-2012

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

The pour is cloudy yellow in color with a tall white head. Woah, certainly some sage in this beer. It’s really dominating and pretty much all I can smell. Maybe a bit of citrus peel and bread. The flavor is just as heavy on the sage. A light citrus note, some bread, and a hint of yeast. But mostly just sage. I liked it, but a small pour is enough.

3.21/5  rDev -18.9%

Looks really good,a solid inch of bone white head over a lemony orange body.
The nose is full of floral esters and big spice. white pepper, rosemary and sage, just like this pasta my wife hates from applebees. It is a little much though.
The spices are more subtle on the palate though, and this comes across as more of a well done saison here. The cabinent full of spices if there working with Lemon crispness, esters, white pepper and grass.
Mouthfeel is medium-full.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Release #3; Posting to help it get a score.

Pours a clear orange amber with a lovely thick, firm and long lasting pure white head. Really nice looking.

Nose is all fruity "saged" esters. Sage is really present but well integrated into the other fruit character of the nose. Really pleasant fresh sage, oranges, citrus and spice.

Mouthfeel is medium thin and crisp with nice medium carbonation.

Flavor profile drives this one. Full and rich assertive flavors of oranges and spice in the front palate that leads into a more complex semi-sweet sage/spice/pepper character. Well integrated and nice flavors without any one element just jumping out. I'm guessing that this would be really nice with Indian, Chinese and Thai food. Very interesting and inviting profiles.

Finish is a bit green herbed to me with a nice green pepper/celery bitter tone that is long lasting. Nice effort on this one.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

22 oz. bomber, Release #2,

A: Pours a lovely almost opaque ochre with a full 3 finger Duvel like head. Very creamy bubbles that stick around a lot, still have a 2 finger head well into the glass, reminds me of meringue.

S: Sage city, definitely reminescent of Du BUFF and all of its incarnations. Hints of clove and lemon. Smells like a spring meadow. Also a bit of the seaside/cove/seaweed on the back end. There are a myriad of ways to interpret this. Just lovely.

T: Flavour is quite herbal as I expect. Lemon zest, pepper, very yeasty and spicy. Rosemary and sage dominate with a hint of herbal wood, eucalyptus and lemongrass.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy, has a bigger mouthfeel than I expected. Creamy, spicy finish.

O: A very good saison. Fans of Du BUFF will certainly be a fan of this beer by Epic. Very well done, QPR is excellent, and this would make a very intriguing food pairing beer, I want some roast pheasant, who's with me? A first impression like this makes me want to run out and try everything they make.

3.13/5  rDev -21%

22oz bottle, Release #2. Pours clear yellow-gold with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet malts and turkey cooking spices (rosemary and sage?) that seem a bit out of place.

The flavor is sweet bready, slightly vegetal malts with a big spice finish (sage and rosemary) and a little mint. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with creamy carbonation.

Overall, an interesting concept, but a bit overly spiced and I wasn't really digging those spices in beer.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

Well this beer really surprised me, I didn't expect the herbal qualities in the smell to begin with.

It poured a very nice color, golden clear with a fairly carbonated head. Had to wait for the head to go down, didn't quite dissapear but leaves a 1/8th inch white head the entire way.

Smell was that between a christmas tree, rosemary, and fresh cut lawn. It was pleasant but a little unexpected for me.

The taste was just as herbal as the smell. The rosemary came through even more, but I tasted a good bit of lemon as well. It's very interesting and unique, I could see this pairing well with some seafood.

The mouthfeel was pleasant, I thought it was just right for the amount of flavor coming through. For other beers it may be too carbonated but it helps smooth out the herbal tones so it's not too strong of a taste.

Overall I would recomend this for a friend to experience. I feel it's something I glad to have tasted but I might not purchase again.

3.45/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Picked up tonight at Bier Thirty in Bown.... Poured into my small Cigar City snifter.... Pours a hazy light orange with a short lasting white head that leaves only a little lacing.

The nose is herbaceous... hard to pick any one herb out... a predominant lemon element is the bigger player.

On the palate, the herbs play a much larger role.... a significant amount of sage.... and what I think of rosemary comes out... Rosemary always makes me think of antiseptic qualities... again, a lemony note reminds us that this is a saison... light pale malts tie this brew together... but it still finishes fairly dry.

Body seems a touch heavy for the style.... carbonation is also maybe a little light.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last