Ironhorse Chicago Common - Argus Brewery

Ironhorse Chicago CommonIronhorse Chicago Common

Argus Brewery visit their website
Illinois, United States

California Common / Steam Beer |  5.40% ABV

With the re-release of our Common beer, Argus Brewery offers a very unique American beer. This type of beer was brewed in the San Francisco Bay Area from the mid 1800′s to the mid 1900′s, A hybrid style, it uses a lager yeast but is fermented at warmer temperatures typical of ale. Copper colored and medium bodied, Argus Ironhorse has full malt & spicy herbal hop flavors, producing a very unique character unlike any ale or lager.

(Beer added by: emerge077 on 08-08-2011)

2.5/5  rDev -23.1%

3.31/5  rDev +1.8%

The Ironhorse Common Steam Beer from Argus is decent steam beer. The beer poured a nice rich amber with thin white head that is leaving a lace. The scent carries a slight yeast like spice...so does the taste....I want to say rye....but not sure. The mouthfeel is medium in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a tasty beer.

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Landed this bottle from the local beer store for 99 cents. My first encounter with this brewery, and my second encounter with a California steam beer. My bottle's label is slightly different and says Argus California Style Steam.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Pours four giant fingers of towering pillowy off-white head. Massive column of carbonation bubbles streaming topside. Body is a brassy orange color with some clarity. Big fat sheets of lace.

S - Smell is a lot different than expected. Very yeasty, almost funky, lemon peels, and little else. Smell seems to imply more of Belgium than it does California, to me at least. As it warms, bananas and coffee grounds begin to creep out.

T - Taste follows the nose. Slight hint of grassy lemony hops, tons of funky yeast, lightly earthy coffee grounds, and some toasted malt presence. Light bitterness and malty char. Very different from what I expected, but interesting enough.

M - Feel ends quick and clean, with some slight bitterness but otherwise no lingering flavors of any kind. Dry on the finish. Carbonation is a bit coarse and could definitely be toned down a bit.

Overall, not a style I am too familiar with, so I can't really say how it fares to the others. Definitely nowhere near as good as the Furthermore Oscura I've had before, but this beer at least has me intrigued enough to want to try some of the other beers being brewed by Argus. A light drinkable beer with a moderate 5.40% abv, worth a try.

Argus California Style Steam ---3.5/5

2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

4.5/5  rDev +38.5%

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: Thick syrupy appearance. Thick, crystalline carbonation that I really like. Solid brown in color. Similar to Anchor Steam.

Smell: Not much from what I remember. A bit of hops and a heavy maltiness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Fermented sweetness that seemed to come from brown sugar or molasses. A bit thin in the finish.

Overall Drinkability: I would like to give this another shot.

3.9/5  rDev +20%

I went to the Argus Brewery with a friend today and was given a tour of their facility and a brief history of the area. The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable, and you could tell they loved what they did.

A – Nice caramel color with a light head

S – I could not discern much smell from this beer other than a light hop aroma.

T – I was very surprised by the bitterness of this beer mixed with the malts and sweetness.

M – A light bodied flavor with a nice hop bitterness

O - Very pleasant taste that made me want to drink more. I would love to try more of what this brewery has to offer.

Serving Type: On-tap

3.7/5  rDev +13.8%

I went to Argus Brewery today and got to tour the facility and meet the staff. They were all fantastic!

California Steam, as with the rest of Argus's beer, was a little surprising in its complexity. I got a lot of flavors. Mostly, however, what got me was that each of the beers I tried was a little bit on the sweet side--not so sweet as to be cloying, but certainly more sweet than one would expect from the class of beer that they are representing. Let it be known, I don't find this to be a problem, in fact, I rather approve.

California Steam really hit the nail on the head between the balance of malt and subdued bitterness.

a - Lovely deep caramel color with a rather small, light head.

s - There wasn't much smell to the beer, honestly. The aromatics were present, but they weren't there to punch you in the face. I'm generally okay with this, though.

t - The taste was really interesting. It is a rather bitter beer, but you wouldn't really guess it at first taste by the way the malts and the sweetness hit you first. The taste of the beer was smooth and the bitterness was rather intensely quiet...almost like an instrument trying to play fortissimo with an incredibly heavy mute. I approve.

m - Light, crisp, and pleasant.

o - Certainly, I would drink this again. It is a wonderful, versatile beer that represents its brewery quite well. Excellent quality, excellent taste.

Simply excellent.