Billionaire - Clown Shoes

BillionaireBillionaire

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Barleywine |  12.00% ABV

English Barleywine aged in European Cognac barrels.

(Beer added by: dwagner003 on 11-12-2013)

Rothobinide, Today at 01:24 AM

Burkbom23, Sep 08, 2014
4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

wethorseblanket, Sep 08, 2014
4.31/5  rDev +4.4%

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Billionaire a few months ago for $15.99 at The Lager Mill. Well It looks like this will be my 1,000th beer review, I always try and choose something a little different for these milestones and I thought a Cognac barrel aged Barelywine would fit the bill nicely, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, in typical clown shoes fashion it's a little weird and it goes with the name, plus it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice caramel brown color that took on more of a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and a half of creamy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness with the fruits being the first to show up and they impart a nice dark fruit aroma that has a nice juicy aspect that reminds me of some dark cherry juice with a good amount of a raisin aromas also coming through. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, caramel malt, light toffee and light butterscotch aromas. Up next comes the cognac barrels which impart a light woody, light vanilla and sherry like aromas. This beer had a really good aroma, it was fairly complex and I think the cognac barrel added a nice touch.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a light brown sugar like flavor to it and it's followed by the dark fruits still being the first to show up and they are a little lighter this time and it's the raisin that seems to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart all those nice aspects that it did in the aroma, but this time they show up just a little more. Up next comes the alcohol which is noticeable, but not overly strong and it's a little warming and it's followed by the barrel which imparts a light oak, vanilla and a flavor that's a little sherry like, but it does remind me a little of some of the Cognac I had in my younger days. This beer tasted very good, it had the same complexity as the aroma and all the aspect worked well together.

M- Fairly smooth, the alcohol was hidden decently, just under being cloying, a little sticky, velvety, not too crisp, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a higher amount of low carbonation. This beer had a very good mouthfeel, the carbonation was at just the right level.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and I thought it was a very good example of a Barrel Aged Barleywine, the Cognac barrels worked nicely and it seems like the flavors that they imparted complemented the caramel, toffee, and dark fruit base flavors of the Barleywine. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, the alcohol was decently hidden, just under being cloying, a little stick, velvety, not too crisp, a little filling and the taste did a great job of holding my attention, this is a great sipping beer and I think I wouldn't mind drinking the whole bottle to myself, but that would be my limit. What I like the most about this beer was the complexity and how well the cognac barrels worked with the barleywine base, those were the highlights to me. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't a single thing I would change about this beer it's great just the way it is. I would buy this beer again if I saw it, it's a little pricey, but it's worth it and I would recommend it to any barleywine or barrel aged beer fan. All in all I was very happy with this beer and a little impressed, I haven't had Cognac in years and I was never a big fan of it, but I thought the barrel really worked nicely with this beer and I think the flavors blended just as well with the base as Bourbon barrels do. So far it's up there as one of my favorite Clown Shoes beers and one of my favorite Barrel aged Barleywines. This beer made for a great beer to celebrate my 1,000th review with, it took me about four and half years for me to get this far, Cheers to a 1,000 more. Great job guys, this was a fantastic beer, keep up the hard work.

StoutHunter, Sep 07, 2014