Join our email list →

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States | website

English Barleywine | 12.00% ABV

Beer added by: dwagner003 on 11-12-2013

English Barleywine aged in European Cognac barrels.
Reviews by rdilauro:
3.69/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This one poured like a dark full stout minus the head. The first thing I noticed was that there was nothing in terms of nose or bouquet. I tried as hard as I could, getting my nose deep down into the glass, but , I came away with nothing... No malt, no hops, no alochol, nothing.

The first sip was as if someone just slammed dunked my head and it hurt! Seriously, this beer was BIG, BIG, no BIGGG. It was full round and BIG.

Again, no distinct aromas, but I did have a feeling of a big stout without the chocolate and coffee. If I didn't know this was a barley wine, I would have figured it to be a stout.

It detected wood on the flavor, not signaling out cognac, not as pronounced as some of the bourbon beers, but still it was woody. For the amount of alcohol, this really didn't have a typical alcohol burn

Everything was going ok until the finish. There was some taste, some odor, something that did not fit in with the beer, in fact it detracted from the overall quality of this beer.

I am glad I had this one, will I have it again? Probably not.

2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +9%

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

4.66/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Reddish chestnut with a slight, tan tinted foam cap and slight legs. Smell: some cognac on the nose with faint sherry Taste: Attacks creamy sweet follwed by a charge of sherry and malts with a growing bitterness wrapped in cognac. The flavor profile is wonderful. There is some fruit in there but the intensity of the cognac, malt, alcohol, and hops make it hard to pull out the fruit. Has an aspect of drinking a bourbon or a congac with the malt and alcohol – very creamy. Mouthfeel: Very creamy and chewy, with some slight warming.

4.44/5  rDev +7.5%

4.19/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sigh . . . I can't believe I finally opened my bottle of billionaire. Oh well, that's why we buy them right . . . To drink them ? This one poured a beautiful rich ruby color with no lacing. Aromas are dark fruits with the cognac lingering around for emphasis. Tastes luxurious and extravagant with caramel, raisins worn leather and oak are pulled together by the cognac barrels. Very little alcohol burn is noticeable. Though a couple of years on this bottle is probably to thank for that smoothness. Overall, glad I picked this up when I did. Billionaire has made for a really enjoyable drink tonight.

4.5/5  rDev +9%