Hammer Of The Holy - Clown Shoes

Hammer Of The HolyHammer Of The Holy

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Hammer of the Holy, an American Imperial Stout aged in 40-year old Jamaican rum barrels, incorporates holy water, signature dark malts, and malt smoked with vampire killing stakes. Dear Undead, "Die, monsters, die!"

(Beer added by: jim_carignan on 11-23-2013)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by StoutHunter:
StoutHunter

4.49/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Clown Shoes Hammer Of the Holy that was sent to me by Sean, thanks a lot Sean! I thought I missed my chance to try this beer, but Sean gave me a second chance to give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice and it does a good job of matching with the name and it reminds me of a card you could draw in some fantasy card game. It poured a nice dark black color that that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty and patchy lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly lower amount of high sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice dark roasted malt aromas with some roasted and chocolate aromas seeming to stick out the most along with just enough smoke coming through in the background. Up next comes the rum barrel which shows up nicely and is on the stronger side of medium, they impart some slightly woody, caramel, butterscotch, spices, and vanilla aroma with a slightly boozy aromas showing up in the background. This beer had a very good aroma, I really enjoy what the rum barrels added to the base of this beer.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this times there's a little bit of dark fruit flavors that mix in with the roasted and chocolate flavors. Up next comes the smoke which is right about at medium and it's followed by the rum barrels which impart all of those great aspects that they did in the aroma and it seems to show up the same amount with those spicy, vanilla, and caramel flavors coming through the most. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a slightly boozy flavors and smokey, chocolate and light rum barrel like aftertaste. I thought this was a very good beer, the rum barrel showed up just enough and it worked great with the base beer.

M- Pretty smooth, a little rich, slightly crisp, velvety, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a slightly lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very good and it worked very well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a very good beer and a very good example of a barrel aged Imperial Stout, all the aspects from the base beer came through like they should and they worked really nice with the complex rum barrel aspects. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was pretty smooth, a little rich, slightly crisp, velvety, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have a problem drinking a full bottle to myself, but I still think it's a nice beer to share and it's a great cold weather beer. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the 40 year old rum barrels worked with the smokey imperial stout base, they were a perfect match. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything that I disliked about this beer and there's isn't anything that I could think of to make it a better beer. I would for sure buy this beer, if I see it I will buy it as quickly as I can and I would recommend it to anyone who likes barrel aged imperial stouts, I think it's honestly a must try beer. All in all I really enjoyed this beer, I was a big fan of Vampire Slayer and I wasn't sure how the rum barrels would work with this beer, but that worked out really well and I think it's safe to say that I like this beer a little more than Vampire Slayer. I think it's my now my favorite Clown Shoes beers, it's my favorite rum barrel beer by a long shog and it's up there as one of the better barrel aged stouts I've had. Clown Shoes gave the base beer the right barrel treatment and it really payed off in the long run, they are becoming one of my favorite out of state breweries and I am they are continuing impressing me with there unique and creative beers. Great job guys, this was one awesome beer, keep up the great work. Thanks again Sean, you guys make some awesome beers.

04-16-2014 03:49:15 | More by StoutHunter

mctizzz

06-18-2014 00:53:22 | More by mctizzz
Rekrule

4.21/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very black. Beautiful

Nose: Very light in general. Heavy on the chocolate, roasted malt and coffee notes. Medium on rum, general booze and vanilla. Light, light soy sauce.

Taste: Follows the nose almost to a tee. The barrel treatment is delicate and compliments the base beer rather that covering it up or detracting from it.

Mouthfeel: Medium+ to Heavy, quite thick. Carbonation is spot on.

Overall: Very, very nice beer. Beautiful barrel treatment of the right base beer. Not a common occurrence in the beer world today. Recommended and a certain re-buy.

06-16-2014 23:59:10 | More by Rekrule
iheartmyTHO

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I guess I prefer my stouts to taste more dessert like aka chocolate, nut, and coffee notes. But the Hammer of the Holy does have a nice complexity to it. I definitely get the smoke flavor, the rum barrel, not so much. Maybe it's because of the rums I'm familiar with, lend themselves with more dessert-y flavors. There is a nice a fruitiness to this stout though - think of chocolate covered raisins.

06-13-2014 22:08:57 | More by iheartmyTHO

egrace84

05-26-2014 19:28:00 | More by egrace84
superspak

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 11/18/2013. Pours dense pitch black color with a 1-2 finger dense dark tan head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, caramel, roasted malt, toast, toffee, molasses, raisin, vanilla, oak, rum, dark bread, light smoke, and roasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt, rum barrel, and light-moderate smoke notes; with good strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, raisin, molasses, vanilla, oak, rum, light smoke, and roasted earthiness. Slight roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, raisin, molasses, vanilla, oak, rum, light smoke, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and robustness of dark/roasted malt, rum barrel, and light-moderate smoke flavors; with a great malt/barrel flavor balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and very full bodied; with a very creamy, slick, silky, and slightly chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent rum barrel aged imperial stout. All around great complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt, rum barrel, and light-moderate smoke flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

05-17-2014 04:27:36 | More by superspak