Space Cake - Clown Shoes

Space CakeSpace Cake

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Why are Miracle Mike and his dog, Bionic, being chased by many evil laser beam shooting cupcakes and two giant layer cake mother ships? Because we're straight lunatic fools? Well, maybe, but with a few brains cells remaining we managed to craft Space Cake double IPA, utilizing citrusy Mosaic hops and an immaculate West Coast style malt backbone. Dude... Chill out. Enjoy some Space Cake.

(Beer added by: braican on 02-22-2014)
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.71/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Space Cake a couple weeks ago for $6.49 at The lager Mill. I'm in the mood for a Double IPA tonight and i thought I would give this one a try tonight, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it weirdly goes well with the name and in typical Clown Shoes style it's eye catching. It poured a nice hazy burnt orange color that took on more of a amber color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of creamy off white/ very light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed til the end and it left some nice patchy and spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the hops showing up first and they impart a mixture of citrus rind/ fruity hops and green onion like aromas with the fruity hops sticking out the most, but not by much and there's also some spicy hops that show up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart some nice caramel malt, slight bready and sweet malt like aromas that provide some nice balance. This beer had a nice aroma, but I could have gone without the green onion like hop aroma.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the citrus hops still sticking out the most and there seems to be a little bit of piney hops showing up in the back ground. Up next comes a slight alcohol flavor that's just slightly warming and it's followed by the malts which impart those same nice aspects that it did in the aroma. On the finish there's a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with a nice citrus rind hop and caramel and sweet malt like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice DIPA, it had some nice balance to it, but i still could have gone without the green onion aspect.

M- Fairly smooth, a little creamy, not too crisp, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a solid yet unique example of the style, it didn't go the usual route when it comes to this style, I can appreciate that and I felt like it worked well with this beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little creamy, not too crisp, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, I don't think I would have much of a problem drinking a bomber to myself, but I think that would be my limit, but I think it makes for a nice DIPA to enjoy on summer evening. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, it was just where it needed to be and I thought it was the highlight of this beer, the appearance was also pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was the green onion hop aspect, it wasn't too overpowering in this beer, but I think it would make this beer a little better if it wasn't even there to begin with. I might buy a bottle of this again and I would for sure get one if they choose to release it again. I would recommend this to anyone who likes their DIPA's balanced. All in all I thought this was a pretty solid DIPA, it was unique and it had just the right amount of balance to it. I think this beer is priced nicely. This isn't my favorite Clown Shoes beer or DIPA, but it's not a bad beer at all. Good job guys, I enjoyed this one, keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, Jul 26, 2014

AshlandNacho, Mar 28, 2014

sabitu, Jun 28, 2014

SpyderMan14, Jun 22, 2014
3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

In a snifter this beer was a clear gold color. There was a small head that left a smattering of lace.

Sweet malt aroma. Pine and earthy hops. No fruit. A bit on the timid side.

Caramel malt taste. Pine and earthy hops. Still no fruit. The taste was better than the aroma suggested.

Hoppy, malty. I missed the citrus.

Don't think I'd try this again.

lordofthewiens, May 07, 2014

freshflesh, Jun 28, 2014

77apm, Mar 29, 2014

JakerLou, Feb 28, 2014
4.51/5  rDev +12.2%

Jamielampert, Sep 07, 2014

aquazr1, Sep 06, 2014

22oz Bomber.Got off work and I decided to try this bad boy so I fired up a little Aerosmith and poured it into a 20 firestone glass.Nice golden color with a nice finger head.Good ipa with 9.0 abv.Will get the job done but it is not in the upper level of ipa`s.90 minute from Dogfish head and Ruination from Stone are much better but this is not a knock on this beer,it`s still quite solid.Nice hoppy beer.Give it a try if your into IPA`s.The Motley Drunkard out.

Motleydrunk56, Aug 25, 2014

Meyers1023, Sep 02, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

alienlifeforcecube, Mar 21, 2014

westcott, Jul 09, 2014

ccurrid, Apr 15, 2014

IrishGermanAmerican, Apr 11, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -6.7%

Amber in color with a slightly hazy complexion. A half inch khaki colored head rests on top. Brussels lacing. The aroma is a strong combination of piney hops and some floral hops. The flavor is overwhelmingly geared towards piney hops. The floral hops are also making their presence known. There's also a biscuity malt component that works to balance it out. The mouth is sticky and highly carbonated.

Franziskaner, Aug 17, 2014