Hoppy Feet - Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: jlindros on 12-26-2009

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoppy Feet Alström Bros
Reviews: 409 | Hads: 1,366
3.28/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours pitch black with white head and lacing.

Smells hoppy and malty.

T: Yeah, its an IPA, strong hops but luckily it doesn't stick around. Some malts but Hoppy feet is a prevalent name.

MF: Leaves a bit of a film or hops.

OA: nope not so much, not gonna drink it again.

Of the Clown shoes I tried I liked this one the least but won't hold it against them, I'm not a hop-head after all. (392 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -15.9%

Bomber from Slowbeer. Not sure of the brewing date.

Dark mahogany on the pour. Modest beige milkshakey head, recedes gradually to leave a 1cm raised ring and film.

Nose is quite roasty and nutty, showing chocolate milk, liquorice, baked caramel and hints of candy sugar. In time, a refined herbal hop character emerges, alongside some mild plasticy phenolics. Nice definition overall.

Slightly milder flavours. Lots of dry roast, bay leaves, mild pine, earthy herbal edge. A bit pallid overall.

Light body for 7% Pleasant silky carbonation, and a restrained bitterness which seems equally contributed by roast and hops.

Sound, drinkable and approachable, but it underachieves - especially as something purporting to be a black IPA. Strikes as more a regular stout or even a Schwarzbier. (791 characters)

22oz bottle poured into cervoise

A - Straight black with brown edging. Tannish head that left decent sticky lacing

S - Coffee roast, pine and lemon hops, smoke

T - Very smoky. The roasted malts almost are bordering on burnt. The citric hops are there, and are nice but they are a bit overshadowed by the ashy smokiness of it.

M - On the thinner side. Effervescent, and the smokiness leaves a weird aftertaste

D - Just another average BIPA. Nothing overwhelming but it isn't too bad. Could use a bit less smoke but not too hard to drink. (541 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -15.6%

Bottle courtesy of cadaugherty, Cheers my friend!

Poured into Stone IPA glass. Even with a careful pour a monstrous four finger cafe au lait head develops. The retention is very impressive. Broken moth eaten lacing is left clinging to the walls of the glass. The body appears black until the glass is held to the light. With the light beaming down a deep crimson brown color is shown. Very good looking American Black Ale.

The aroma is much more subdued than what I expected. The roasted malt sits pretty heavy, not a good sign in my opinion. The aroma is not really showing me what I would expect from the style, the malt is outweighing the hops. Pine and subtle soft citrus hops seem to be submerged by the malt. An issue of balance here, the beer smells good but is just out of balance.

Out of the glass strong roasted malt and dark chocolate coat the tongue. The piney hop flavor develops mid palate and is very complimentary but does not develop the intensity I expect. The roasted flavor is a bit bitter and astringent on the back of the palate. The flavor is not bad but just leads to confusion, not sure what style this is but it is not a Black IPA as labeled.

Medium bodied, moderate carbonation. While the deep roasted flavor lays of the tongue, the finish is quite dry.

Not a bad beer but a poor example of the style. With some expectations for the style this beer did not meet them. I can easily finish the bomber but it is just not what I wanted. I am not sure I would enjoy more than a single serving of this beer, not my thing. Glad to have had the opportunity. (1,582 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

A: Poured a nice dark black with with dark khaki head. Head stuck around for a while and did respectable lacing.

S: Great big pine. Like a great healthy wet forest. Juicy grapefruit swings in the back. Very fragrant. It smells dark with a bit of burned molasses and over toasted wheat bread.

T: Boom bitter. This thing is hugely bitter from start to finish. The bitterness actually overwhelms the actually hop notes of pine and mild citrus. I can tell the dark malt is there but its hard to distinguish from the bitterness. Some burnt toast and dark roasted malt.

M: Solid. Its not syrupy but fizzes a little on the tongue. Bigger than medium.

O: This one has elements of a great Black IPA but the complexities and nuances seem overwhelmed by the extreme bitterness. I dont think I will reach for another as the bitterness tended to grate on me from the very beginning. (873 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured into a snifter. Big thanks to Hojaminbag for this.

4.5 A: As with other Clown Shoes, this one has a good bit too much carbonation. Took several pours to get a full glass. Black in color. Three fingers of creamy/pillowy light brown head with very good retention and a good bit of lacing.

4.0 S: Piney hops foremost with grapefruit, earthiness, and a light citrusy component. Almost nearly as strong is a dry roastiness with slight touches of caramel and chocolate. Quite pleasant.

3.0 T: Hop bitterness combined with roasty bitterness is a bit overwhelming. Lots of pine, earth, and grapefruit with lesser amounts of of orange and nondescript fruitiness. Unfortunately, as with most black IPAs, the hop flavors clash with the roastiness. Again light caramel.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. Carbonation is a bit higher than I'd like. Not nearly as creamy as I'd like with an ashy aftertaste.

3.0 D: I was really looking forward to this one after having the 1.5 version (which was the only black IPA that I can say I've loved) at a tasting. This is more along the lines of a typical black IPA, where nothing works well with anything else. (1,145 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance - Poured this one into a regular pint glass and goodness does it foam up like crazy even on a slow pour. The carbonation seems almost out of control. Head is about 1 3/4" high that's tight foamy, extremely lasting and light cocoa tan color. Lots of sticky lace all around the glass. Takes forever just for it to go down enough for me to drink some. Color of the beer is a very dark brown, not quite black and it's murky but not quite opaque when held to the light.

Smell - Lots of piney and citrus hops that are really bright and vibrant (almost overly citrusy, did I really just say that?), some tropical fruit and also earthy overtones, bitter-sweetness like a light bittersweet chocolate, with a good amount of those roasted malts, and hints of coffee. Probably hoppier than I expecting and than I like. The hops seem to take too much of a center stage here. That said, not a bad brew by any means.

Taste - Follows the nose pretty well with a lot of bright piney and biting citrus hop flavors, some tropical fruit, lots of roast quality, some coffee and bittersweet chocolate notes. All those citrusy hops, roast, coffee, and chocolate add up to some pretty big bitterness in the finish. Again, a bit much on the hops for me. It just seems a bit too overly hoppy. Of course, I do enjoy American Black Ales and IPAs, so it's certainly not bad. I just compare this to what I feel is the quintessential American Black Ale, Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous, and it doesn't quite measure up to that one.

Mouthfeel - Consistency is light-medium and velvety, carbonation is actually very high and spritzy, body is medium, and the finish is average. The carbonation, I think, is actually too high for the beer. It's almost like it doesn't match up with the body/consistency of the beer. For all intents and purposes a decent mouthfeel.

Overall - For the style, not a bad beer at all. Seems to me that the hops are too high profile and cirtrusy and that the carbonation is way too high for this beer. The hops aren't detracting from the brew at all. The strong northwest hops are what the style is all about (there's a reason it was referred to as Cascadian Dark Ale at one time for the hops coming from the Cascade Mountain Range area in the NW), they're just a bit too strong for me in this beer. Or maybe the roast and dark malt isn't strong enough. The carbonation, though, is what does detract for the beer. Not a bad beer at all, like I've said, I just wish the carbonation wasn't so damn high. (2,509 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, with Jan. 2014 bottling date, served in a snifter.

Pours opaque and essentially black with a small, semi-durable head.

As per the looks, this is loaded with dark roasted grains. No shortage of hops either, but these two flavor components clash a bit, as is common with black IPAs. More burnt grain flavor and burnt toast than I'd prefer. Black coffee appears mid-taste and lingers on well after the swallow.

O: strongly flavored black IPA with hoppy, if not happy, feet. (490 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -13.6%

Looks black but not opaque. The color shinning through is a beautiful cherry. Light brown head started strong but is now having some trouble holding in the glass. Smells good, floral hop smell. I feel like I can smell the bitterness. Taste is quite bitter and surprisingly roasty in flavor. Very Porter-esk. I always think IBAs just taste like very bitter/hoppy porters. And get way better after aging, trying to tame the bitterness and flavor hops down, and bring out the maltiness. After reading the ABV of the beer, I can see why the flavors were so intense. Interesting beer, could use some adjustment for the sake of balance in my opinion. (644 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Black color, mostly black, a little bit of brown, dark tan head around 1". Aroma was really roasty, didn't impart much in the way of hops, I dunno, maybe its the 3000 miles but the hop quotient in Clown Shoes stuff has always been kind of missing for me.

Plenty of bitterness in the taste, still has the roastiness that I don't prefer in a black ale. Body is legitimate, not a thin beer, but nothing special. Just really wanted more of a discernable lush, green hop flavor. Too much burnt malt flavor. If you want to make a porter, go ahead, but call it that already, I realize it isn't as sexy these days to make a porter v. a black ale/ipa type of beer, but I dunno. (669 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

One of two bottles of Clown Shoes beer I found in the singles cooler at Coaltrain Wine and Liquor in Colorado Springs...

Slightly spicy, stronger piney hop aroma with hints of dark, roasted grains. Dark mahogany body with a very chunky, light tan head. Charred grain and espresso flavors with a sharp bitterness in the taste; slight hint of chocolate flavors. Light yet creamy, smooth feel; clean and dry.

A fair dark IPA. Too much biting bitterness in the taste takes away from an otherwise decent though unremarkable brew. (526 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours black wiith a small off-white head, some lace, fair head retention.

S: Piney hops, some white grape fruit with a lot of roasted malt.

T: Dark chocolate and pine, very hoppy with lemon and other citrus zest. Definitely has a green streak.

M: Medium-bodied, a tad acrid, with crisp carbonation, refreshing at points.

O: A fair black ale, it's to style, but a little clashing in flavours. An OK pickup if you like the style. (450 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet a couple weeks ago for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. It's been a little while since I've had a Black IPA and since I'm still working my way through the Clown Shoes line up I thought I would give this beer a shot, so let's see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up recently so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label, it goes good with the name of this brewery and while it's not the most eye catching label I still think it's nice. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through with three fingers of creamy medium tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I really liked the creamy tan head.

S- The aroma starts off with a fairly higher amount of sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart a roasted and chocolate like aroma with a slight bit of coffee in the background. Up next comes the hops which show up a fair amount and they impart some herbal and earthy hop aromas with citrus hops seeming to stick out the most imparting a nice grapefruit like aromas. This beer has a nice aroma, I thought it was fairly balanced and the hops and malt aspects were both nicely represented.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with the roasted malts that impart some roasted flavors with a slight bit of chocolate and coffee coming through but its a charred malt flavor that seems to come through the most. Up next comes the hops which impart a pretty big earthy and herbal hop flavor with hardly any citrus coming through. On the finish there's a high amount of bitterness, a little too much so and it had a roasted malt and bitter aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the hops flavors came through more with a little less bitterness.

M- Not too smooth, a little watery, oily, fairly dry, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, it was little thin and watery, plus it was a little on the oily side.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a fairly average example of the style, it looked good and it smelled nice, but when it got the taste, the charred malt and bitter hops showed up the most overpowering the roasty and citrus aspects that I like the most in the style. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I feel no need to have another. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they were both nice, with the appearance being my favorite. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were the weak point of this beer and they need some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, there's many other Black IPA's I enjoy much more and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I was let down with this beer, Clown Shoes seems to be pretty good with hoppy beers, but this one just didn't do it for me and I thought it was pretty damn rough around the edges. Better luck next time guys. So far this is my least favorite beer from Clown Shoes. (3,321 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -12.3%

Bomber poured into a duvel tulip. Extreme dark brown with a 2 finger tan head that shrinks to a quarter inch with nice lacing. Aroma is chocolate, coffee, pine, and toasted barley. Taste is toasted malt and barley, citrus, coffee, and semisweet chocolate are here too. Mouthfeel is thin to medium and it lingers. Real good black ipa (332 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to Greg (Reagan1984) for throwing this in as an extra and making me agree to review it, haha.

A - Just as one would expect from a "Black IPA". It pours dark and looks quite nice with a good sized, light head.

S - Hoppy and roasted. Pretty decent smelling.

T - The best word or expression I can think of to explain this is "meh". Nothing really stood out to me as great or horrible in the taste. It tastes like an East Coast IPA with some roasted flavors.

M - Good amount of carbonation and a very thin mouthfeel. It is not thick or syrupy like some IPA's and DIPA's are, which is fine with me.

D - If you like the style and like this beer, it is definitely drinkable. Personally, I was not wowed or blown away, but it is not a bad beer. (748 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber in Duluth earlier this evening...

Dark roasted malts (charcoal?) mingle with a dank piney hoppiness here... Malts seem to dominate and take over eventually as this warms... Definitely smelling more like a porter than a black IPA... Hops are there but they are an afterthought here...

Very porter-like with the earthy bitter dark roasted malts more or less dominating throughout... I mean, the hops might be stuck in there somewhere but they play a substandard role in this beer. The taste is pretty good but I guess I was expecting a Self Righteous Ale and this didn't fit the bill..

Glad I got to try this but won't be picking anymore up... (663 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark ale with a thin dissipating head. Notes of caramel malt on the nose. Some sweetness is offset by mild bitterness. Tabacco notes reminicient of a porter. A decent, drinkable beer, but nothing remarkable here. Not sure if I am a fan of the dark IPA style. (258 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a black color ale with a nice dark brown foamy head with good retention and light lacing. Aroma of light dry roasted malt notes with semi bitter hops profile. Taste is also a mix between some roasted malt notes with dry notes and some medium bitter hops flavours. Body is a bit light with good carbonation. Not bad though hops flavours could have been more upfront. (380 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured into a pint glass at Lord Hobo for $6.

Appearance: Very very dark, nearly opaque, with a rich mocha-colored head lingering at the top for a very long time, and after each sip.

Smell: I'm getting milk stout aromas here, which is weird. Bright and sweet dark sugars, brown mostly, along with ripe beets and beet sugar, some coffee with about five sugar packets, and more sugar. Not nauseatingly sweet, but it's getting there. So... where does the IPA come into play here?

Taste: Again, a lot of sweetness. Dark sugars, mild dark berries and fruit esters. Almost milk sugar and a milk-like taste to it in its richness, with some coffee and mild mocha. Lingering porter-like mild charred burnt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy, and one of the best things about the beer, with solid carbonation from first sip to last swallow.

Drinkability: I'm a bit confused, because this is supposed have IPA characteristics, no? But there were very few, if any. Hardly any hops or citrus flavors, and mostly porter or milk stout-like sweetness. Again, very, very confused. I can't say I didn't enjoy it, but for the style, either I don't dig it, it's deceiving, or something was weird with the brew here. Not sure. (1,217 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black color. 1/4 inch head of an off-tan color. Good retention and decent lacing. Smells of citrus hops, hint of pine, sweet malt, hint of roasted malt, hint of spice, and a hint of sugar. Fits the style of an American Black Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is a strong bitterness and slight dryness. Tastes of hops, roasted malt, hint of sweet malt, slight citrus, slight grass, and an odd grass/spice flavor that is very sharp. Overall, the bitterness is too strong and the accompanying flavors are muted or overshadowed. (575 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

poured cold and black to a sun king shaped pint glass with a huge, foamy off white head leaving sticky lace.

aroma of licorice and smoke.

big bitter smoky hops up front and to tell you the truth, that's about all i'm getting here. smoke, licorice, dark black almost burnt coffee.

light bodied, big carbonation, bitter.

overall - interesting, but too much smoke for me. (372 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Big thanks to Joey for the hookup on this one...

Poured from a bomber into a RR snifter...

A - Pours black with a two finger khaki head. Head retention is not the best, but there is plenty of sticky lace that caots the glass...

S - Roasted/charred notes are promiante with some pine, and a hint of citrusy hops...

T - Dark roasted malts are the main focus here and they ride the wave all the way through. Don't pick up any citrus notes I thought I detected in the scent, but there is plenty of pine to be had. Finishes with a fairly smooth hop bittereness, and roast. Abv is well hidden...

M - Pretty thin. On the lighter side of a medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation...

O - Would have liked more hops in the mix. I did get a good amount of piney hops, but the dark roasted malts still felt a little over the top for my likings. Still glad I got a chance to try this one though, and the label is awesome. Very tranquil. Looking foward to trying some more Clown Shoes offerings in the future...

Cheers... (1,024 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Deep, dark Brown but not totally opague, and a shade off of ruby. Really appealing thick foam, chocolate shake like.

S: Chocolate malt, sweet fruit, and a touch of light pine that quickly fades. On subsequant sniffs I pick up a nice interplay of hops and roasted malt.

T: Initially reaction is that it's weak and a tad watery. There a low sugariness which bows out quickly, then a good malt taste of buttery biscuit/breadiness. I generally like the bold, acidic citrus taste from the hops. Though the lingering taste is somewhat severe in its bitterness. Nice mouthfeel, almost creamy and good carbonation.

O: This brew not offensive in any way, but I felt that it should offer more. Black IPA is a new style and Ive only had a few. The taste notes are all good. To my palate it blends a good roastiness, will a couple of levels of chocolate, and a good quality hops. But what stops me from really liking this brew is overall impression that it's a little thin. I will try this again. (990 characters)

Review based on notes

A - Poured into a snifter with 3 fingers of white head. Black body with ruby tones around the edges. No visible carbonation or sediment.

S - Strong hoppy smell. Refreshing and bitter smell. Burnt malts.

T - Reminds me of a porter. Slightly more bitter than most porters. Decent malt backbone.

MF - On the heavier side, slightly chewy.

D - Fair. Strong aftertaste that stays on the tongue after you finish your drink. (443 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Man, I sure do wish there was some formal boundaries between Schwarz's, American Blacks, and Black IPAs. And I wish there was like some kind of Brewer's code that made sure they weren't improperly labeled.

This beer tastes like super roasted malt and decent kick of dry hops. It's more like a dry stout mixed with a little bit of citrusy American hops than it is an IPA. And there's nothing wrong with that, really, except for that this was labeled as a black IPA and I'm in the mood for a black IPA.

There's also a little inconsistency in the flavor, even though the aroma is pretty tight. It starts off like coffee, moves into a blend of dry and citrus hops, and then on the very back end there's this hint of like nitrogen, only it's not nitrogen it's just a little unpleasant medicinal gas. (798 characters)

Hoppy Feet from Clown Shoes