Hoppy Feet - Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: jlindros on 12-26-2009

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,319 | Reviews: 409

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

a: pitch black with maybe a hint of brow, 2 finger frothy tan head. looks solid

s: smells very nice. roasted and toasted malts dominate the nose here, followed by milk chocolate, citrus & earthy hops.

t: follows the nose. roast/toasted malts, bittersweet chocolate. a hint of sweet cocoa as well. this then fades into a nice piney bitterness. also some citrus (grapefruit bitterness, pineapple) and earthy tea leaf-like flavors as well

m: on the lighter side of medium, but very well carbonated which makes it feel a little fuller

o: glad they distro to Cali now. if you're a fan of black ales, please give this a shot. not the best but a nice drinker

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.82/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic.

A: Black. Pours a 1 finger, tight, foamy, brown-white head. Stagnates in suspended animation. Head never fully settles. Some thick beer ring and more pervasive spotty lacing remains.

S: Roasted malt, sweet dark chocolate, and oak bark; all with a bit of a floral character.

T: Charred grains, unsweetened dark chocolate, black licorice, peat, and a slight oakiness.

M: Full, thick, and hearty. Earthy feel. Bitter finish lingers on the palate. Has a bit of an alkaline feel in the end.

D: Sip and enjoy.

Atmosphere is really strong. Great foamy, tight, lingering head, and plenty of persistent lacing. Nose is a great combination of of roasted grains, chocolate, and wood with a floral presence. Malt is charred and well-balanced with unsweetened bitter dark chocolate, licorice and peat, with a nice oaky tone. Earthy and hearty, but a bit of an alkaline character. Overall, this is a really good quaff.

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Hoppy Feet a couple weeks ago for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. It's been a little while since I've had a Black IPA and since I'm still working my way through the Clown Shoes line up I thought I would give this beer a shot, so let's see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up recently so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label, it goes good with the name of this brewery and while it's not the most eye catching label I still think it's nice. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through with three fingers of creamy medium tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I really liked the creamy tan head.

S- The aroma starts off with a fairly higher amount of sweetness followed by loads of malts that impart a roasted and chocolate like aroma with a slight bit of coffee in the background. Up next comes the hops which show up a fair amount and they impart some herbal and earthy hop aromas with citrus hops seeming to stick out the most imparting a nice grapefruit like aromas. This beer has a nice aroma, I thought it was fairly balanced and the hops and malt aspects were both nicely represented.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma and it starts off with the roasted malts that impart some roasted flavors with a slight bit of chocolate and coffee coming through but its a charred malt flavor that seems to come through the most. Up next comes the hops which impart a pretty big earthy and herbal hop flavor with hardly any citrus coming through. On the finish there's a high amount of bitterness, a little too much so and it had a roasted malt and bitter aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the hops flavors came through more with a little less bitterness.

M- Not too smooth, a little watery, oily, fairly dry, on the slightly lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, it was little thin and watery, plus it was a little on the oily side.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a fairly average example of the style, it looked good and it smelled nice, but when it got the taste, the charred malt and bitter hops showed up the most overpowering the roasty and citrus aspects that I like the most in the style. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't that smooth and the flavors didn't do a good job at holding my attention, one is enough for me, I feel no need to have another. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, I thought they were both nice, with the appearance being my favorite. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and mouthfeel, they were the weak point of this beer and they need some work. I wouldn't buy this beer again, there's many other Black IPA's I enjoy much more and I wouldn't recommend it. All in all I was let down with this beer, Clown Shoes seems to be pretty good with hoppy beers, but this one just didn't do it for me and I thought it was pretty damn rough around the edges. Better luck next time guys. So far this is my least favorite beer from Clown Shoes.

3.64/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Almost pitch black with two fingers of muddy and foamy head. The stick on the glass is outstanding and the head maintained at a quarter of an inch an hour deep.

S - licorice, hops, piney, caramel, malts.

T - Hops on the forefront, followed by a big creamy malt backbone, dry to finish. Anise flavor present.

O - Very solid and maybe my favorite I have tried from this style which is not my first choice.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

4.09/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hoppy Feet from Clown Shoes