Hoppy Feet - Clown Shoes

Hoppy FeetHoppy Feet

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Black Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jlindros on 12-26-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hoppy Feet Alström Bros

Pellinore1, Nov 14, 2011

mater, Nov 14, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -25.4%

Served in a tumbler at The Tribes.

The Accidental Highway to Hell Tour continues! This stop pours a dark garnet-tinged black-brown topped by a finger of dusty tan micro-foam. The nose comprises chocolate, light roasted malts, dry pine needles, and very light sand (honestly, what my brain associates with this smell is sand...). The taste holds notes of coffee, darkly roasted malts, light leather, light char, sharp pine resin, and lime skin. Things come off decidedly bitter and acrid, to the point that my face evinces my body's inner wincing. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a smooth feel. Overall, what seems like a good beer decides to go all Mr. Hyde on my tongue, ruining everything. I'm not sure what happened, but it's just too darkly bitter and astringent for my liking.

TMoney2591, Nov 08, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Big fluffy and airy tan head dissipates slightly then pretty much chills in place with one finger of froth on top and thick swath of lace left clinging. Black with thin crimson edges at the light. Smells of malts, some melon, herbal hops, and distant notes of mint. Tastes a bit grainy and sweet with more melon goodness (quite subdued), distant black licorice sweetness, and oily hops. Mouth-feel is medium and thinner than expected but not to the point of weakness. Dry, slightly rough going down, but drinkability does not suffer. I don't notice even a hint of alcohol heat. Not the best ABA I've had, but a damn fine example that I would revisit often if it were available here.

stephens101, Nov 07, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: pours a chestnut brown color with a two finger head that lasts a long time. Thick lacing develops during the session.

Smell: dark chocolate, roasted malts, and some earthy pine comes through to the nose.

Taste: big roasted and bitter chocolate flavors are up front. Earthy notes, some tartness from citrusy hops, ad a hint of alcohol come through. Bitterness is bold and sharp.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp to start, less crisp and dry at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste here.

Overall: a very hoppy black IPA that hits the spot. A slow sipping beer, the bomber will last you nicely in a session.

Gavage, Nov 05, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A- It's black. For sure. Light tan head that stays for some time. Large bubble cling.

S - WOW. Blindfolded, I would think I was doing a huge DIPA. ..

T - Nice IPA like thing blended with a Brown ale.

M - Light bodied, good carb, good balance.

D - Nice overall, strange but it works.

srandycarter, Nov 03, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

I am actually a little surprised that I hadn't reviewed this one already as I have had it a number of times in different forms (tap, etc.) Let's give it a proper review finally.

Appearance: Pours a very dark black color, but the head was a medium tan, so it wasn't as dark as a Guinness or anything, but is still very dark. The head was about 3/4" at its apex and was made of various size bubbles. There was already a little bit of foam sticking as lace after the head started to fall.

Aroma: I got a healthy dose of citrusy American hops along with some chocolate and coffee notes from the malt. As the beer sits a bit, you can pick out some more floral hop notes and some dark caramel coming out.

Taste: The flavor follows the aroma pretty closely. It is hoppy in the beginning and then you get lots of dark malt influence. Initially the finish was quite acidic and was a little harsh, but subsequent sips are more enjoyable. I think that this is just high bittering hops mixed with some pretty high acidity from the malts. Your palate gets used to it quickly. The beer is getting more nutty as it warms. Even half-way through the bomber bottle, the finish is still pretty acidic and I am drinking more water than normal with this beer. The carbonation is adequate and helps the mouthfeel, while making the finish a little drier still, which doesn't help.

Opinion: Overall this is a pretty good beer. I like it that a lot of new breweries are making the Black IPA styles. This one is a little enthusiastic in the bittering hop department so that it makes it end a bit harsh when mixed with the dark malts and carbonation. I would like this beer to replace a bit of the dark malts with more chocolate to soften the malt profile up a bit and if it was still necessary, use a few less IBU's. This is at least my fourth time drinking this beer, so I apparently don't have TOO many issues with it.

SkeeterHawk, Nov 02, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Dark, dark brown almost black, with just a bit lighter highlights. Not much head, but what is there is a light mocha color and frothy in appearance. Lace is light.

Smell is wonderful. Dark roasted flavors and caramel sweetness. There is some light roasted coffee and some chocolate and just a hint of charred or burnt wood. Quite fantastic.

Taste is much like the nose. Roasted malts, coffee and chocolate. The coffee is much more prevalent and flavorful then in the nose. It is the dominant flavor. There is also some burnt sugar in the taste. I don't get a whole lot of hops, but they are there with a piney resin flavor. Very enjoyable!!

Mouth is silky and round. Body is pretty heavy and the finish is long and a bit dry.

Overall I really enjoyed this. I have recently come to love this style and this is not on top of the list of the ones I love, but is high on the list. Great to see this one distributed to Arizona.

azdback, Nov 02, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

22 oz bomber poured into Sam Adams glass. Nice head and lacing, dark but not opaque. Pine aroma mixed with alchohol and roasted malt. Taste is hoppy pine and citrus, nicely balanced by the dark malt backbone. Really crave the dry bitter mouthfeel - it's tough to sip this beer. This is a style I'm really becoming fond of and this is a nice blend of hoppy IPA and darkly roasted malt.

coldriver, Oct 30, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

A - Black, opaque, tall tan head, leaves a good bit of lacing. Low carbonation as far as I could tell by tilting glass.

S - Roasted malt followed by a bit of chocolate then some citrus hop notes.

T - The malt takes the front seat in this beer, lots of roasted and chocolate flavors. The first second had me thinking porter but then the citrus hop flavors start to come through, but never take over.

M - Moderate body, a bit of acidic bite from the roasted malt. Hope notes at end keep it feeling fresh.

O - A nice black IPA, will enjoy again.

steelerguy, Oct 28, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Big thanks to Joey for the hookup on this one...

Poured from a bomber into a RR snifter...

A - Pours black with a two finger khaki head. Head retention is not the best, but there is plenty of sticky lace that caots the glass...

S - Roasted/charred notes are promiante with some pine, and a hint of citrusy hops...

T - Dark roasted malts are the main focus here and they ride the wave all the way through. Don't pick up any citrus notes I thought I detected in the scent, but there is plenty of pine to be had. Finishes with a fairly smooth hop bittereness, and roast. Abv is well hidden...

M - Pretty thin. On the lighter side of a medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation...

O - Would have liked more hops in the mix. I did get a good amount of piney hops, but the dark roasted malts still felt a little over the top for my likings. Still glad I got a chance to try this one though, and the label is awesome. Very tranquil. Looking foward to trying some more Clown Shoes offerings in the future...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Oct 27, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Duvel tulip. Bottled 9/11 clearly shown on bottom right of front label - thank you!
Dark brown almost black with mahogany edges. It had a good sized foamy tan head that slowly settled into a thick collar and central foam cap. Great sheeting with lots sticking.

The aroma was dark malt, black bread, bitter chocolate on the malt side along with piney hops and a touch of grapefruit on the hop side. Not liking the blend for some reason. The taste is bitter from the start with little letup and not much to offset or balance it. Most black ales are pretty bitter but this one is beyond the normal and, for me, a touch too much on the bitter just to be bitter side. Also has an aspirin taste to it. Mouthfeel is medium with crisp carbonation and a very bitter aftertaste.

Overall, it was too bitter without any balance to it for me. If you like the very bitter ones then this is for you. If not, I'd not recommend. Just entered the TX market - welcome! Rotation - excited to try some of their other beers (already like the Clementine) but one of this one is enough for me for now. Might try again done the road as my bitter palate develops [N;N;BL]

TexIndy, Oct 26, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

4oz->Cuvee de Trolls Chalice
A ~ Black with an inch high cap of tan head that is a akin to frothed milk with a thick texture. Stout-like in body.

S ~ Coffee w/ Milk, Ashy wood, HOPS, and hints of vanilla bean & burnt caramel.

T ~ Roasted malt lending notes of Burnt wood, steadily fading into coffee...strong coffee. Hops are very floral & resinous, providing notes of forests & ripe fruit. A nice undercurrent of dark chocolate really carries everything home.

M ~ Bitterness on alll ends: Malt provides an initial sharp, woody bitterness, while hops continue bittering in a long lasting & resinous way. Very dry.

D ~ A black IPA with a simple charm that I enjoy quite a bit. Pick it up if you enjoy Imperial Stouts or Malt-forward Black IPAs. Definitely will revisit.

chocosushi, Oct 25, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +17.9%

Note: Reviewed from 5oz sample

A - Black with a slight beige foam. Decent lacing.

S - Scents of roasted malt, cocoa, and a mild hoppy aroma.

T - Freaking awesome! The flavor of mocha is about the best I can recall. There is a blended hop component too, but the dominant flavor is this mocha taste that is smooth, consistent, and rivals that of some major stotus. I'm wowed by this.

M - Smooth as silk, feels medium bodied yet has some major flavor. Perfect beer for imp stout lovers that don't want a heavy beer.

O - Easily the best black ale I've had. So glad to try this beer, and I'm getting a bottle as we speak.

socon67, Oct 21, 2011

Got this from a trade with CheezyBlaster. I've been looking forwad to this ale for a while, since I saw it reviewed by a top-notch local beer blogger Cleveland Food & Brews. So to say I'm pumped about this beer would be an understatement!

Has a roasted, coffee aroma, with chocolate nibs, bitter hops and hints of toffee.

Wonderfully bitter to start, with black coffee, dark chocolate, and oak are balanced by a healthy amount of smooth malt. Unlike so many IPA's, this glides in for a soft landing, even though it leaves a residual bitterness.

Medium bodied, there's a bit of creaminess in the finish.

Very tasty, very pleasant, this is one of the smoother examples of a black IPA that I've had. The nose opens as it warms, with more a more floral aroma than it had at the start. A quality brew, try one if you can!

TheHoppiest, Oct 21, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

On tap at The Good Life

L - black with a khaki colored head that thinned to a layer leaving a good coating on the inside of the glass.

S - bitter citrus rind and light roastiness.

T - citrus hops upfront with a roasted malty middle finishing dry and bitter.

F - medium bodied with a smooth feel.

O - a very enjoyable Black IPA.

JoeyBeerBelly, Oct 20, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -8%

Poured from 32oz bottle into snifter.

Appearance: a dark black color with a two finger white head that leaves thick lacing.

Smells: has a hay like hop smell with a real roasted malt character.

Tastes: I do taste the hops ,but I taste more of a dark malt flavor that does have a hint of chocolate but is very subtle.

Mouthfeel: quite smooth and mellow with the roasted aftertaste, but the sticky nice bitter taste lingerers for awhile. The roasted flavor covers the 7% and creates an easy drinking experience. I will buy another bottle, and I am interested to see how this compares to there 1.5 Hoppy Feet.

kennylopez, Oct 04, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours pitch black with white head and lacing.

Smells hoppy and malty.

T: Yeah, its an IPA, strong hops but luckily it doesn't stick around. Some malts but Hoppy feet is a prevalent name.

MF: Leaves a bit of a film or hops.

OA: nope not so much, not gonna drink it again.

Of the Clown shoes I tried I liked this one the least but won't hold it against them, I'm not a hop-head after all.

shoky01, Oct 03, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured from a bottle into a schooner during a regular meeting of my beer tasting club. Didn't check a best before date, but this was fresh out of the store.

A - starts out promising with a deep. dark black pour with a finger of tan head that left just a little streaky lacing on the glass

S - a bit unusual on the nose with not much for hops, but HUGE dark chocolate notes

T - again, not much for hops with this, but lots and lots of dark malts, and dark chocolate in particular. Accompanying the chocolate was some moderate sweetness; can't say this is what I was expecting at all!

M - in spite of its dark color and toasty malts this was still fairly light in body; it had a little carbonation and its bitterness stuck for a while in the back of the throat

D - goes down relatively easy

Overall I would have preferred a few more dimensions to this beer; it seemed like it was all chocolate and dark malts. Would have loved a bigger malt profile to balance it out. Hop in the Dark and Sublimely are better choices IMO.

DoktorZee, Oct 01, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: Dark chocolate brown with a thick foamy khaki head

Smell: Roasted chocolate and coffee

Taste: Hops predominate over the roasted maltiness. I'm a hop-head so this is one of the better black IPAs that I've tried.
Started good but finished kind of flat.

Mouthfeel: Moderate body with adequate carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly drinkable black IPA.

frognot, Oct 01, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

I have to get my hands on any Black IPA...or whatever style you wish to call it, I can so when I saw this on the shelves I knew it was a buy. Not to mention it's cooling down in Texas so having a beer that's not merely a "refreshing" beer is...refreshing in its own way.

The head grows thick, lovely off-white and creamy that looks very much like a Coke or root beer float. The beer looks like the thick stout, barely opaque only around the edges of the glass, a very dark brown.

Immediately up front when taking a whiff is a lot of roastiness from the roasted malts with coffee and cocoa. Floral, earthy hops add depth. There's sweet molasses and a sort of warm spiciness that's wine-like.

Clown Shoe's Black IPA is pretty damn hoppy from the 80 IBUs that can overpower the beer when first tried but once you let it warm up the other flavors come out much more. Lingering cocoa, coffee, and syrupy sweet notes round out the taste to make it much more satisfying. It's very tasty.

This is a medium-bodied beer but I do have to say I'd prefer it to be a bit more full-bodied. Not that it's watery though. It is, however, very drinkable, smooth, and creamy throughout.

BeardedRiker, Sep 28, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

22 oz bomber pours a dark crimson color, almost black, with a thick head of tan foam. Superb retention and decent lacing make this a good looking brew.

Nose displays equal amounts of orangey citric hops and lightly roasted malts. Little bit of burnt biscuits and dark bread show through, but overall a good, clean smelling black IPA.

Taste shows off the brighter, lighter and hop flavor side of this newfound style. Crisp and refreshing, it is quite drinkable. The hops are bitter, but back off a bit on the end and dont combine with heavily roasty, astringent malt to make the finish ashy and tongue-scraping. I dont want to say the malts are more in the background than most of the style, but the hops seem more vibrant and have a sharper flavor. Doesnt seem to have quite the complexity of a SSR...but it's a damn fine brew, one of the better BIPAs fo sho.

twiggamortis420, Sep 28, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours pitch black with a modest layer of tan foam.

Dark malt aroma, mostly a light coffee and a little chocolate. Fruity hop presence. I really like the balance.

Nice roast coffee base that lets the fruity hop bitterness stack up well. And, of course, the bitterness continues to increase. Personally, I was hoping there would be a more pronounced malt character. Body is on the heavier side, moderate carbonation compliments it well.

The nose was definitely suggesting more of a malt/hop balance, which was kind of disappointing because damn it smelled great! A brew I certainly suggest, especially to hop heads.

SkitzIrish3, Sep 27, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

BIPA? CDA? IBA? ABA? Whatever you call it, this stuff is delicious and I don't know why it has been a long time since I've had one. Clown Shoes just came to Texas and I figured that I'd give this bottle a shot. Served in a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

The body is a clear, dark mess. Not quite black, but more of a deep bloody garnet dulled with some brown. Not perfect, but not bad. The head is fluffy. It's tan, it's well formed and it stays around for a while. Since I'm a sucker for good head, this gets good points in my book.

My initial whiffs are straight pine hops. Like the Stone SSR, this thing seems to take the pine hop approach to balance the roast. As the head dies down, I can smell a hoppy fruit presence and then the roast. Nicely layered, but maybe a bit heavy on the roast for my tastes.

The body is definitely more stout than IPA. I kind of prefer it the other way around. The profile comes initially with a roasty flavor mixed with citrus (maybe orange?). The fruitiness dies down and blends into a hoppy bitterness that becomes a stale coffee that leaves lingering roasted and raw hop flavors. It has nice transitions and is well layered, but I'm not completely satisfied. It misses the raw, bold hoppiness of Stone's SSR and it's not as well rounded or clean as the SN Stout. This lies somewhere between the two, but I do wish it would pick more of a side (ideally more towards the rough and tumble SSR). This is a good beer, but it could be more assertive on one of two lines, either of which would make it a more impressive drink.

UTCengOwl, Sep 22, 2011
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Picked up a bomner from Total Wine in mid August for $5.99. Bottled on 6-14-11.

Beer poured a dark brown with a nice tan head that is leaving lacing behind.

Nose is wonderful - floral and citrus hops perfume this brew quite well.

Taste is a huge wallop of grapefruit and pine finishing with the roasted chocolate malt backbone trying to balance all those hops.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with adequate carbonation.

Overall this is a pretty solid brew. If you like bitter dark chocolate this brew is for you!

arizcards, Sep 18, 2011