Pecan Pie Porter - Clown Shoes

to view more.
Ratings: 173 | Reviews: 62
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stumbled across this curiosity at my local wine shop. Never heard of the brew nor the brewer, but there’s no way I’m about to pass up a beer whose label depicts Genghis Khan throwing pies at turkeys.

A: Pours black with a teensy bit of mocha head.

S: Very malty. Brown sugar’s big here, but not really getting the pecan pie thing they were going for. Chocolate, coffee, a bit of vanilla. Smells like a typical porter, I suppose, if a bit thin.

T: I guess it was silly of me to realistically think this would actually taste like pie. It doesn't. It tastes like beer. Which is good! Right? Caramelized sugar at the tip of the tongue is quickly overtaken by coffee and hops. Not nearly as sweet as I had expected. Bitter chocolate/coffee aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with barely-existent carbonation.

O: It’s not a bad beer - far from it – but it’s not the beer I wanted. No, it does not taste like pecan pie. It tastes like a slightly above average coffee porter.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass, it appears to be a standard porter (motor oil, dark roast coffee) with a nice, sudsy head. It looks great.

Smell of roasted dark malts. Not too much of a nose, but I never get much aromatics off porters.

Flavors of roasted malts edging on coffee and something very slightly pecan-esque. Even then you might be imagining something. Some hops to balance things out.

The mouthfeel is one area where the beer excels. Fine carbonation and very full from the elevated ABV.

Overall, the beer is a good representation of a porter. The pecan pie flavor is subtle, barely there.

-Boston Bottles

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pecan Pie Porter has a giant, sudsy head, like a foaming pitcher of root beer. It seems almost artificial, something you would see in a cartoon image of an overflowing mug of beer. I’ve never seen one like it. Golden brown foam rests atop a dark brown/black body.

It smells like a deconstructed pecan pie; toffee, cream, butter, sweet malts and vanilla. I wish I enjoyed the taste as much as I did the aroma. What I thought was going to be a sweet, dessert beer was really similar to an American brown ale, composed of toasted and bready malts, roasted nuts, and a slight mineralness. The body was medium and sticky, with a lingering sweetness.

To me, this was a very one-dimensional beer. It wasn’t much like pecan pie, and mixing that with a bitter brown ale made it not too drinkable. I wanted something more like oatmeal-type beer, but was left disappointed as it thinned out in the end

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a two-pour beer. Served with a half I ch of beige foam. Leaves ring lace after each sip. Dark brown color where light shines through only at the edge.

The smell is a combination of deeply roasted malts and a sour cherry kicker. I also detect a bit of yeast.

Think semi-sweet chocolate with some unsweetened raspberry juice. An attractive flavor. Creamy aftertaste with a touch alcohol warmth. Highl carbonated by also full bodied. An easy beer to drink.

Beautiful brown body with a frothy tan head.

Nose is sweet caramel malt.

Flavor is rich and dark. Carmelized sugars dominate, as I would expect from a Pecan Pie beer. Nuttiness and butter. Smooth and satisfying on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is slick, buttery smooth and coating. A mouthful.

Overall is surprisingly high. This is rich, but not overly so. I think they nailed what they were aiming at with this one, pecan pie in a bottle.

All fours, solid stuff.

3.13/5  rDev -17%

A: Pours a deep brown, basically black, with one full finger of brown head. The foam settles in a reasonably amount of time. There is a good amount of lacing left on the glass as it drinks.

S: I'm picking up sweet malt, caramel, and blueberries. Yup. It reminds me of blueberry pomegranate juice. It's overly sweet and the fruit notes dominate.

T: It starts out malty and fruity sweet. But there is an underlying grossness to this beer. It's stale, and a bit sour (not in a good way). There is a dry bitter funk that lingers on the palate long after the beer has been downed. I'm getting way more blueberry than pecan.

M: Full bodied beer. This starts out sweet, and finishes with an awful dry bitter funk that lingers forever.

O: I love the idea of a pecan pie porter (I love pecan pie and I love porters), but this is not a very good beer. It starts out ok, but it falls short on so many levels.

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottled November 2011

This beer is deep brown, some red shows through in the light.

Smells like a sweet porter but I did catch notes of nuts, vanilla, and roast.

The taste really is like a pecan pie! Sweet, but not too sweet!

Mouthfeel is a little odd, but not too off putting.

Cool beer! Glad I tried it.

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Bomber poured a clear dark reddish brown with a lasting tan head. Aromas of pecans, brown sugar, dark chocolate and graham crackers. Mouthfeel was medium bodied and smooth. Flavors of pecans, graham crackers, dark chocolate, carmel and brown sugar with a smooth lingering pecan finish. Easily one of the best pecan beers I've tasted!

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Dark tan head blankets a black beer underneath. Break apart retention hangs around for the whole glass and throws up a few lacey splotches.

Smells like pecan butter mocha ice cream. I brewed a chocolate peanut butter stout recently and it smelled similar this. Make of that what you will.

Smooth and roasty with pecan nut butter and sweet chocolate. Not unlike a peanut butter cup. There's a heavy film that coats my tongue after each swallow which I'm not sure if I like or not.

I'm a fan of just about anything with nuts or nut butters including this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a very dark brown with slight reddish highlight and a thin off-white head that settles to a slight haze.
S - Sweet aromas of milk chocolate, roasted nuts, caramel, and brown sugar. Very nice, I can definitely see "Pecan Pie"!
T - Yeah, it more or less tastes like Pecan Pie.Rich flavors of roasted nuts, caramel, brown sugar, and a touch of vanilla. Sweet, but still nicely drinkable and not too gimmicky (unlike the Southern Tier Blackwater offerings, which I can only do about a 4oz pour of).
M - Slick and slightly chewy, with a medium mouthfeel, good carbonation, and a nice bitter finish.
O - A very unique, fun beer that was quite drinkable, a rare feat for a "Dessert" beer.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Another fun brew from Clown Shoes.

Pours with a very aggressive head that is dark tan in color and had excellent retention. Deep brown in color with no light getting through.

Aroma is thick nutty and sweet. Wouldn’t pick out pecan specifically, but certainly a general nuttiness to the aroma.

Interesting flavor, I think I enjoy the aroma more. A slightly sweet nuttiness and roasted malt flavor rules the day here. The addition of the flavoring is perceptible but not quite overdone. Interesting.

I think a kick up in the body would do wonders for this beer. Just a touch thin. Frankly, it’s fine for a standard porter, but I think with the flavor profile a touch more body would do wonders for it. Reminds me a bit of Ballast Point Coffee Vanilla Porter. This is very smooth.

A decent little porter.

2.61/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 24 ounce bottle into a euro mug. Served cool.

Got this beer at Blanchards in Allston MA. Dark brown body and a dark tan head. Smells of milk chocolate with a hint of brown sugar. Slight pecan smell. Taste is malty chocolate with a slight booze finish. Medium to full body and somewhat dry finish. Not a bad brew but a bit disappointing on the pecan part of it. Don't really taste any pecans.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Very dark with reddish brown edges and a thin coating of fine tan bubbles coating the surface of both the beer and about a half inch of the glass. Decent head retention. The aroma was quite roasty, bread and caramel, brown sugar and butter, a bit spicy. Pecans in the flavour, quite sweet with bitterness that didn't quite provide balance, toffee and butter, a hint of roast. Medium bodied with a bit of astringency, medium/low carbonation, fairly smooth, decent texture. Overall, I liked it -- the only (slight) issue I had was that I found it a bit too sweet for my tastes. Probably would have been better with dessert than on its own.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Aroma: Floral hops initially. Dried fruits; apricot, raisin, plum, grapes. Sweet roasted malts.

Appearance: Black body with a creamy tan head.

Flavor: Extremely dark well roasted malts upfront. Slight coffee notes. Hints of fruit.

Mouthfeel: Smooth medium-heavy body. Long very slightly dry-bitter-burnt finish.

Overall: Smooth, balanced, and fairly complex. Not getting the pecan flavors but happy with the profile regardless of the label.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

22 fl oz brown bottle served in a tulip.

Opaque caramel in color. Creamy, coffee colored head filled with pools of bubbles. Spotted lacing with good strength.

Sweet vanilla and toffee aromas that are balanced nicely over a dry, hazelnut and coffee bean character. A pleasant dose of diacetyl given its accompaniment to the nutty, toasted malts. Notes of plum and cherry.

Fresh, roasted coffee beans, dry hazelnut and pecans. Notes of rich toffee and vanilla that provide a mild sweetness to the primarily dry, nutty flavors. The bitterness at mid-sip is a bit too intense for the flavor profile of this Porter. A bit too buttery prior to a surprising dose of fresh fruit: red apple, grape, and plum.

Full bodied. Dry and a bit rough on the palate, but it matches the aroma and flavors well.

A very interesting, unique Porter; however, all of the flavors don't quite marry perfectly.

4.32/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours dark brown with a healthy head. Decadent aroma of roasted malts, vanilla, spices, nutmeg, and pecan of course. The nose on it reminded me of Southern Tier's Pumking. After tasting it I have to say it is literally like drinking pecan pie in a glass as well. I usually am not one for sweets but I rather liked this beer. Very rich. Similar idea as their 'Brown Angel' in that it packs in several flavors without one overpowering the others somehow. I think I understand this brewery's style and I like it!

dark brown in color with a rich look to it. Some light hints of a reddish note poking through on the sides and the bottom of the glass. Nice touches of fine off white head forming on the top, nothing extreme though, maybe a half an inch or so. This faded down gracefully and left behind just a touch of lace on the edges of the glass.

The aroma was very nice and quite sweet as well. Rich notes of caramel, nuts, and a hint of brown sugar all playing very nicely. As it warmed up some hints of an earthy hop note started to take shape, as well as a nice underlying layer of grain. The flavor was just really top notch here. Rich and vibrant and amazingly complex. Starting with a wave of smooth caramel malts, evolving with an earthy hop tone that offered a nice balance to the sweet notes that had started it all. This was mellow and super smooth. Easing back down the original path, a nice touch of pecan then rolled across the tongue, mellowing out the finish and providing that last gasp of sweetness

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%

827th Review on BA
Bottle to Tulip
22oz bottle

2010 Vintage

Thanks to GuruDel for sharing

App- A deeper brown with some amber colored highlights running through the edges. A one finger pulled apart bubbly head was there and faded rather quickly. A small bit of dotted cling.

Smell- Smelled if it can sticky. A little bit of sugar with a lot of sweetness. Roasted notes come next with a pressed and bagged nut aroma. Small amounts to me of some whispy spice and vanilla.

Taste- This was a really sticky tasting beer. A lot of sweetness still remained and a lot of the pecan shined through. All in all it was very smooth and had a few ripples of flavors with roasted malts and just a touch of hops to add a little bitter to keep it balanced and not one-sided.

Mouth- Lighter-medium bodied and a medium carbonation level. A bit of the sticky sugars with a roasted pecan shined through on residual flavors.

Drink- This was a nice and clever beer. Unique, playful and well constructed for my 1st beer from Clown Shoes. As I mentioned it did remain balanced without overplaying the pecan flavor. It was there but integrated well. This would be good fresher I think.

1.91/5  rDev -49.3%

I picked up a bomber of this while passing thru Mass.

Appearance is dark brown with a thin tan head. The smell is extra sugary in an artificial way, kind of medicinal as well. Its` taste is even worse, more hyped up sweetness, like the candied peanuts a street car vendor sells. And there is also more of that medicinal quality, similar to a cough syrup. MF is so-so, fairly smooth. But with everything in mind, I did not enjoy this beer. Other selections from Clown Shoes I have enjoyed...oh well.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

My mate Doopie had a bottle of this and hated it, so he forced me to take his other bottle from him so it wouldn't negatively influence his other beers. Thanks man!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: A brown pour yields a three finger, medium looking, fluffy, light brown head with very great retention. Black body with piles of carbonation going nuts all over the place. Head slowly fades to a thick foam cap and clings to the sides of the glass. A good wisp remains until the end leaving some nice lacing. Head was solid, but the carbonation was out of control.

SMELL: Really smells like pecan pie. Nuts, buttery aroma, and doughy bread aromas. Some dark malts as well, but mostly buttery nuts. Quite bold as well.

TASTE: Not as bold as the nose, (un)fortunately. Dark malts and nut flavored, buttery bread. Lots of butter and nuts move into a pecan pie aftertaste that’s bold enough and lingers well. This is a pecan pie porter for sure. Believe the label. Buttery pecan nuts.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes relatively dry on the palate. Fine here.

OVERALL: I’m not sure what to say. They wanted to brew a pecan pie porter, and they certainly succeeded. I’m not sure if pecan pie makes a great porter, but they certainly brewed exactly what the label says. Give it a try if you’re into pecan pie. For me, this was interesting, but ultimately a bit tough going and definitely difficult to score. Regardless, I will drink your rejects anytime Doops. Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Bomber poured into a DFH snifter. Beer is black / brown, clear at the corners of the glass, thin off white head of small bubbles, some lacing low carbonation.

Aroma is sweet with chocolate and some sugar / caramel.

Beer is medium in body and really sweet, as advertised. It doesn't tastel ike Peacn Pie (in my opinion) but it has a definite kind of milk chocolate flavor that tastes pretty good. it is easy drinking and enjoyable. I'd have it again.

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle shared by Mark – thanks!

Pours a hazy brown color with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sweet toasted malts with large amounts of sugar-coated pecans, although the nuttiness of the pecans is lacking and they smell candied.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though less sweet and more nuanced. Toasted malt flavors kick things off and are evened out somewhat by drier caramel malts. Joining in shortly thereafter are nutty flavors with a distinct pecan sweetness. Near the end of the sip the sweetness fades a bit, carrying through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn’t have a problem finishing my glass although I'm not sure about another.

Overall I wasn’t a huge fan of this beer as the sweetness was a tad too much for me. I prefer Lazy Magnolia’s pecan-inspired beer more than this one, but the Clown Shoes version is still far from awful.

2.81/5  rDev -25.5%

Bottle consumed at Dark Lord Day. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pours a moderately-dark brown color with a thin off-white head that leaves just a speck of lacing there as it goes down. The nose brings forward some pecan as well as light toffee and butter. Almost reminiscent of cotton candy as you move into the flavor; it's just that sort of sweetness. Nuts and a bit of butter and toffee finish off the flavor. Not unpleasant, but not something I really enjoyed too much either. Mouthfeel was fairly smooth and one of the better aspects, but the creamy toffee still crept through. Not a bad beer, but not something I would seek out again.

4.52/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Clown Shoes beer have been among the best I've tried locally as I am getting into the craft beers. I thought I missed this one, then randomly was in a shop on the North shore and was able to grab it. The beer is mohogany brown with a big tan head. Not much lacing. The smell was awesome. Pie crust, vanilla, dark malt, a little hops. The tastd was a little less great, but well balanced, just a little thinner and less sweet than I thought it would be, but perhaps that is because I had it with an actual slice of Pecan Pie!

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle generously provided by apollokim during the 'You Aint From Around Here?' BIF, thanks Kim!

A - A deep dark brown pour, with a 1.5-finger, tan head on top. Retention is pretty good, lasting a few minutes. Lacing is nice as well, covering a generous portion of the sides with thin lace.

S - Smell is much more sweeter than I would've expected, despite the pie that is glaring at me on the label. A delicious-smelling concoction of brown sugar, toasted pecans, bread crust, and a surprising amount of vanilla entice the nose. It's not on the same level of sweetness as say, Southern Tier's dessert beers, but it is approaching it.

T - Taste is a direct continuation of the nose. Big, big vanilla notes mixed an insane amount of nuttiness. This is a sweet beer, but I'm not sure I'd expect anything else. Some chocolate and coffee, but the majority of this beer is sugar, vanilla, and toasted pecans.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with lowish carbonation. Not too abrasive in the mouth but a tad bit watery. Aftertaste is all nutty sugar.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. Probably one of the most interesting and well-executed dessert beers I've had. Really nice flavors, but the sugar in this keeps it from being one you drink a lot of or too quickly.

to view more.