Pecan Pie Porter - Clown Shoes

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: jamie2dope on 11-12-2010

Reviews by Neorebel:
4.32/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours dark brown with a healthy head. Decadent aroma of roasted malts, vanilla, spices, nutmeg, and pecan of course. The nose on it reminded me of Southern Tier's Pumking. After tasting it I have to say it is literally like drinking pecan pie in a glass as well. I usually am not one for sweets but I rather liked this beer. Very rich. Similar idea as their 'Brown Angel' in that it packs in several flavors without one overpowering the others somehow. I think I understand this brewery's style and I like it!

3.82/5  rDev +2.1%

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: dark brown in color, medium carbonation, 1/3 inch head, clear

Smell: deep brown sugar and toasted malt

Taste: brown sugar in big doses, nut, roasted malt in back, and some creaminess

Mouthfeel: very sweet with a bit of bitterness in the back, medium carbonation, heavy body

Drinkability: A very good beer but not a great one. I actually wish there was a bit more nuttiness in there. This one is very sweet and you will need to love sweet beers like Southern Tier's Creme Brullee to like this. That said I do, and could have a couple bombers.

3.72/5  rDev -0.5%

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle shared by Mark – thanks!

Pours a hazy brown color with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sweet toasted malts with large amounts of sugar-coated pecans, although the nuttiness of the pecans is lacking and they smell candied.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though less sweet and more nuanced. Toasted malt flavors kick things off and are evened out somewhat by drier caramel malts. Joining in shortly thereafter are nutty flavors with a distinct pecan sweetness. Near the end of the sip the sweetness fades a bit, carrying through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn’t have a problem finishing my glass although I'm not sure about another.

Overall I wasn’t a huge fan of this beer as the sweetness was a tad too much for me. I prefer Lazy Magnolia’s pecan-inspired beer more than this one, but the Clown Shoes version is still far from awful.

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

4.32/5  rDev +15.5%

Review from notes 1/29/11.

A: Pours black, or a very very deep brown, two fingers of mocha head with very slow dissipation. Left behind was very nice sudsy lacing on the glass.

S: Very nice aroma, pecans, pie crust, and some chocolate.

T: Very sweet, pecan pie comes through very nicely. They even get some crust flavor. There is a nice chocolate flavor that combined with the pecan pie is great.

M/D: Light to medium bodied. Very easy drinking and tasty, but over time I think the sweetness might be a bit much. Could probably drink a bomber in a night, but much happier to split it (as I did), and get some dessert with it.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

2.56/5  rDev -31.6%

Picked up at Leary's in Newburyport, MA.

I love Clown Shoes. Hoppy Feet is still a go-to when I need a substantial hoppy punch in the face. I was totally disappointed with this beer. It is not a bad beer; it simply isn't a good or great beer. The aromas muted to the point of indistinguishable. I truly don't understand the reviews up to this point. I could not discern the breadth and depth of flavors previously attributed to this beer. A bland porter.

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

I had this beer last night out of a 22oz in a tulip glass.

It was dark, but the edges lightened up to a nice amber/brown. Head wasnt too strong.

The smell was overpowering. Molasses and vanilla, and, obviously, a ton of pecan extract. I mean A TON, probably a little too much. It was awesome -- I was actually in awe of the way this beer hit my nose.

The taste was a lot like the smell. However, it doesnt hit the tongue in the same way, and it is a little less pleasant. I was a little disappointed here.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, went down smooth. Not too bubbly on the tongue, rather pleasant.

The drinkability was not that high for me. I found myself not wanting to finish the entire bomber, which is not usually an issue for me. I think it was just a little too sweet, or too pecan-y. I hear they are re-releasing it in the spring without so much extract, and I look forward to it if true.

Overall it was an interesting, if not entirely positive, experience. I think my expectations were too high. I would like to try it again, maybe with a piece of pumpkin pie next time.

4.27/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottled November 2011

This beer is deep brown, some red shows through in the light.

Smells like a sweet porter but I did catch notes of nuts, vanilla, and roast.

The taste really is like a pecan pie! Sweet, but not too sweet!

Mouthfeel is a little odd, but not too off putting.

Cool beer! Glad I tried it.

3.46/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pecan Pie Porter from Clown Shoes