Pecan Pie Porter - Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Porter |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: jamie2dope on 11-12-2010)
Reviews by dtivp:

dtivp, Sep 15, 2013
3.82/5  rDev +1.3%

Ldgrem, Nov 15, 2014

VernonKell, Nov 15, 2012

JakerLou, Oct 12, 2013

Beerswag, Oct 03, 2013

megamass, May 18, 2013

Appearance: dark brown in color, medium carbonation, 1/3 inch head, clear

Smell: deep brown sugar and toasted malt

Taste: brown sugar in big doses, nut, roasted malt in back, and some creaminess

Mouthfeel: very sweet with a bit of bitterness in the back, medium carbonation, heavy body

Drinkability: A very good beer but not a great one. I actually wish there was a bit more nuttiness in there. This one is very sweet and you will need to love sweet beers like Southern Tier's Creme Brullee to like this. That said I do, and could have a couple bombers.

tigg924, Jan 09, 2011

Moo5152, Dec 14, 2013
3.72/5  rDev -1.3%

kwkdmk, Sep 28, 2014
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle shared by Mark – thanks!

Pours a hazy brown color with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of sweet toasted malts with large amounts of sugar-coated pecans, although the nuttiness of the pecans is lacking and they smell candied.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though less sweet and more nuanced. Toasted malt flavors kick things off and are evened out somewhat by drier caramel malts. Joining in shortly thereafter are nutty flavors with a distinct pecan sweetness. Near the end of the sip the sweetness fades a bit, carrying through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It’s got a nice thickness with decent carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn’t have a problem finishing my glass although I'm not sure about another.

Overall I wasn’t a huge fan of this beer as the sweetness was a tad too much for me. I prefer Lazy Magnolia’s pecan-inspired beer more than this one, but the Clown Shoes version is still far from awful.

glid02, May 27, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Trashcat, Thursday at 08:20 PM
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Jackp_43, Oct 26, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Review from notes 1/29/11.

A: Pours black, or a very very deep brown, two fingers of mocha head with very slow dissipation. Left behind was very nice sudsy lacing on the glass.

S: Very nice aroma, pecans, pie crust, and some chocolate.

T: Very sweet, pecan pie comes through very nicely. They even get some crust flavor. There is a nice chocolate flavor that combined with the pecan pie is great.

M/D: Light to medium bodied. Very easy drinking and tasty, but over time I think the sweetness might be a bit much. Could probably drink a bomber in a night, but much happier to split it (as I did), and get some dessert with it.

mdaschaf, Feb 23, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

RBM, Oct 31, 2012

leschkie, Dec 25, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Picked up at Leary's in Newburyport, MA.

I love Clown Shoes. Hoppy Feet is still a go-to when I need a substantial hoppy punch in the face. I was totally disappointed with this beer. It is not a bad beer; it simply isn't a good or great beer. The aromas muted to the point of indistinguishable. I truly don't understand the reviews up to this point. I could not discern the breadth and depth of flavors previously attributed to this beer. A bland porter.

telecomz, Nov 26, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

I had this beer last night out of a 22oz in a tulip glass.

It was dark, but the edges lightened up to a nice amber/brown. Head wasnt too strong.

The smell was overpowering. Molasses and vanilla, and, obviously, a ton of pecan extract. I mean A TON, probably a little too much. It was awesome -- I was actually in awe of the way this beer hit my nose.

The taste was a lot like the smell. However, it doesnt hit the tongue in the same way, and it is a little less pleasant. I was a little disappointed here.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, went down smooth. Not too bubbly on the tongue, rather pleasant.

The drinkability was not that high for me. I found myself not wanting to finish the entire bomber, which is not usually an issue for me. I think it was just a little too sweet, or too pecan-y. I hear they are re-releasing it in the spring without so much extract, and I look forward to it if true.

Overall it was an interesting, if not entirely positive, experience. I think my expectations were too high. I would like to try it again, maybe with a piece of pumpkin pie next time.

tkelley, Dec 08, 2010

Kevincredible, Oct 06, 2013

kattycakes603, Oct 26, 2014

OldIronLungs, Dec 08, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottled November 2011

This beer is deep brown, some red shows through in the light.

Smells like a sweet porter but I did catch notes of nuts, vanilla, and roast.

The taste really is like a pecan pie! Sweet, but not too sweet!

Mouthfeel is a little odd, but not too off putting.

Cool beer! Glad I tried it.

angusblackheart, Jan 19, 2012

Tarps68, Oct 06, 2014

Dcunicelli, Oct 15, 2013

WhitmansNiece, Nov 25, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

A - Pours a very dark brown with slight reddish highlight and a thin off-white head that settles to a slight haze.
S - Sweet aromas of milk chocolate, roasted nuts, caramel, and brown sugar. Very nice, I can definitely see "Pecan Pie"!
T - Yeah, it more or less tastes like Pecan Pie.Rich flavors of roasted nuts, caramel, brown sugar, and a touch of vanilla. Sweet, but still nicely drinkable and not too gimmicky (unlike the Southern Tier Blackwater offerings, which I can only do about a 4oz pour of).
M - Slick and slightly chewy, with a medium mouthfeel, good carbonation, and a nice bitter finish.
O - A very unique, fun beer that was quite drinkable, a rare feat for a "Dessert" beer.

jsanford, Jan 04, 2012