Pecan Pie Porter - Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Porter |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: jamie2dope on 11-12-2010)

WhitmansNiece, Nov 25, 2011

EZE123, Nov 27, 2011

sweisel80, Jan 16, 2012

One of the best one from Ipswich breweries. I have tried all of the clown shoe series. All of them all exceptional. Pecan Pie just put you to holiday spirits. By the time you finish the bottle you are burping pecan pie,the beer is thick and full bodied.

drdang, Nov 18, 2010

ejane, Dec 16, 2013

dkezx97, Dec 09, 2011

churchillea, Feb 10, 2012

Wizzman, Mar 04, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

Picked this up at Blanchard's in Allston. Holiday leftover?

A: Dark brown. Fluffy tan head. Nice lace.

S: Woaaaahhh! Pie crust, butter, pecans, chocolate, dark fruits, some hop. Sweet, very sweet.

T: Not as sweet as the nose but the flavors are all there. Finishes dry and roasty.

M: Low carbonation. Creamy.

D: Hard to take the bomber down, but doable.

Edit: Just tried this years version and it is better! More balance. Less overpowering nose, more pleasing mouthfeel. Great beer!!

BenjieK, Feb 05, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

cmbeddoe7997, Jun 27, 2014
4.7/5  rDev +24%

Picked this up on a whim considering I haven't had a bad brew from Clown Shoes. This one does not let me down! Poured into my duvel tulip.

A - Pour is a deep mahogany brown almost black with a nice healthy one finger tan head that slowly fades leaving nice side lacing and a good tan cloud.

S - Sweet mother of mercy. If I could give something higher than a 5 I would for this. At the appropriate temperature this porter is knock your socks off. Buttery pie crust and cake batter, carmel, vanilla, butter pecan icecream, and some chocolate.

T - Similar to the aromas, though much more muted. Still, its incredible how the piecrust and pecan nut flavour assaults the pallet. This is shocking how this profile can be made with the handful of ingrediants. Malty roastyness with full pecan pie flavours.

M - Nice and smooth and creamy with a slight dryness at the end. Low carbonation is typical here but man is this smooth and creamy.

D - Great taste, great mouthfeel, and a crazy good aroma. The aroma is very, very intense and reminds me of Southern Tier Pumpking. This is a very flavorful porter that delivers exactly what it claims it will. Can't go wrong.

rudzud, Dec 11, 2010

RBM, Oct 31, 2012

MichPaul, Sep 30, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Clown Shoes beer have been among the best I've tried locally as I am getting into the craft beers. I thought I missed this one, then randomly was in a shop on the North shore and was able to grab it. The beer is mohogany brown with a big tan head. Not much lacing. The smell was awesome. Pie crust, vanilla, dark malt, a little hops. The tastd was a little less great, but well balanced, just a little thinner and less sweet than I thought it would be, but perhaps that is because I had it with an actual slice of Pecan Pie!

wburch1967, May 06, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

This one pours beautifully with a dark brownish/black color and a cream-colored frothy head. The head remained for a while and left a gorgeous lace.

The smell is exactly what I was hoping for when I read the name. It is popping with a fresh and spicy roasted pecan aroma. A hint of toasted malts comes through to provide a beautiful and mouth-watering sense of DESSERT!

The taste was also what I was hoping for as I generally do not love sweet beers. This base porter is actually dry...that's right, DRY! A plus for my personal taste.

My only caveat with the beer is that the pecan extract can leave a bit of a coating texture on your tongue, which I initially perceived as sweetness. That, however, was not enough to make me dislike this tasty porter.

This is definitely a beer that I would drink again. The nose is beautiful and I know plenty of people who would love this beer. An absolute must try for anyone who likes interesting beers.

ambluhm, Dec 01, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured black into a tulip glass. Light brown head was large at first but dissipated quickly to a film that stayed throughout.

The aroma at first, when cold, wasn't smelling like pecans at all to me. I actually smelled a cross between sugary fruit candy, and marzipan. Once the brew warmed I did smell more of a pecan pie aroma which was nice. Very strong aroma.

The taste was more like toffee at first, then morphed into a more molasses, caramel, and sugary dessert. Once it warmed did I taste slightly bitter pecan on top of fairly strong vanilla and butter.

Mouthfeel is super smooth and creamy.

Drinkability was great - I couldn't put this one down once it warmed up after 5 minutes.

jbertsch, Dec 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

Review from notes 1/29/11.

A: Pours black, or a very very deep brown, two fingers of mocha head with very slow dissipation. Left behind was very nice sudsy lacing on the glass.

S: Very nice aroma, pecans, pie crust, and some chocolate.

T: Very sweet, pecan pie comes through very nicely. They even get some crust flavor. There is a nice chocolate flavor that combined with the pecan pie is great.

M/D: Light to medium bodied. Very easy drinking and tasty, but over time I think the sweetness might be a bit much. Could probably drink a bomber in a night, but much happier to split it (as I did), and get some dessert with it.

mdaschaf, Feb 23, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours dark brown with a healthy head. Decadent aroma of roasted malts, vanilla, spices, nutmeg, and pecan of course. The nose on it reminded me of Southern Tier's Pumking. After tasting it I have to say it is literally like drinking pecan pie in a glass as well. I usually am not one for sweets but I rather liked this beer. Very rich. Similar idea as their 'Brown Angel' in that it packs in several flavors without one overpowering the others somehow. I think I understand this brewery's style and I like it!

Neorebel, Nov 21, 2011

Consumed 11/18
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a rich, deep, dark chocolate brown that really borders on black. One finger of light brown head tops this brew. Head recedes relatively quickly and leaves minor wispy lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is buttery, strong vanilla, cake batter, pecan, and I swear I picked up a hint of blueberrry.

T: Taste is just fantastic. Starts with a nice chocolaty flavoring that quickly moves in to a nice buttery pecan nuttiness. Finish is a strong vanilla presence, a bit of coffee, and nice bitterness.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, nice silky feel the ends a touch chewy.

D: Goes down easily, VERY tasty, nice kick, somewhat filling, a nice variation of style. I'd love to grab a few more bottles of this one!

Jayli, Nov 23, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Had this with the real thing for dessert on Thanksgiving and continue to be impressed with Clown Shoes. This beer could have been horrible, but they did a good job of making a porter taste and smell like a pie. The smell is all butter and butter pecans with roast and chocolatey porter aromas. The taste is less sweet, actually hoppy, but you get a great nuttiness, vanilla, and a weird but nice fruitiness. I could only have a glass, so marking down on mouthfeel and drink, but overall, a very solid dessert beer.

BeerMusketeer, Nov 29, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottled November 2011

This beer is deep brown, some red shows through in the light.

Smells like a sweet porter but I did catch notes of nuts, vanilla, and roast.

The taste really is like a pecan pie! Sweet, but not too sweet!

Mouthfeel is a little odd, but not too off putting.

Cool beer! Glad I tried it.

angusblackheart, Jan 19, 2012

msondel, Dec 08, 2013

GuidedByBill, May 13, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a 1pt. 6oz. bottle into a mug.

The color is a dark black with two fingers of foamy brownish head and some thick lacing left on the glass.

The smell is sweet with a big pecan flavor that is mixed with a bit of a cake bater flavor and a little bit of frosting as well. Some nutty flavor that is in the background.

The taste is full pecan flavor that is top to bottom full of the flavor of pecans. Some mixed nut flavor is evident in the background with a creamy nut flavor that seems to butter the different nut flavors together.

The feel of this beer is smooth and creamy and has a poppy twang that is a little lactic as well.

Duhast500, Nov 16, 2010