Pecan Pie Porter - Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Porter |  7.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: jamie2dope on 11-12-2010)
1.04/5  rDev -72.4%

1.5/5  rDev -60.2%

1.88/5  rDev -50.1%

I picked up a bomber of this while passing thru Mass.

Appearance is dark brown with a thin tan head. The smell is extra sugary in an artificial way, kind of medicinal as well. Its` taste is even worse, more hyped up sweetness, like the candied peanuts a street car vendor sells. And there is also more of that medicinal quality, similar to a cough syrup. MF is so-so, fairly smooth. But with everything in mind, I did not enjoy this beer. Other selections from Clown Shoes I have enjoyed...oh well.

2.08/5  rDev -44.8%

22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with an almost non-existent head. Maybe a very thin, slightly light brown head at most.

Smell is almost overpowering. Butterscotch with pecan and vanilla extracts.

Taste is much of the same. Heavy on the butterscotch, pecan and vanilla. Way too sweet. Almost sugary. Very cloying.

Has a syrupy thickness to it. Almost zero carbonation.

Luckily I split this one with some because I wouldn't have been able to finish the full 22oz. The smell, taste and mouthfeel were all too overpowering.

2.58/5  rDev -31.6%

Picked up at Leary's in Newburyport, MA.

I love Clown Shoes. Hoppy Feet is still a go-to when I need a substantial hoppy punch in the face. I was totally disappointed with this beer. It is not a bad beer; it simply isn't a good or great beer. The aromas muted to the point of indistinguishable. I truly don't understand the reviews up to this point. I could not discern the breadth and depth of flavors previously attributed to this beer. A bland porter.

2.6/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 24 ounce bottle into a euro mug. Served cool.

Got this beer at Blanchards in Allston MA. Dark brown body and a dark tan head. Smells of milk chocolate with a hint of brown sugar. Slight pecan smell. Taste is malty chocolate with a slight booze finish. Medium to full body and somewhat dry finish. Not a bad brew but a bit disappointing on the pecan part of it. Don't really taste any pecans.

2.75/5  rDev -27.1%

Transferred from tasting notes.

A- Solid finger head with chocolate brown head. Creamy with full lacing, thick retention. Very tiny bubbles and a almost pitch black body. The right angle in a decent light shows a mocha edging.

S- Super buttery. Super biscuity. This smells like pie crust with a nauseating sweetness to the back end. It really hurts to smell this after the first few discerning sniffs. Nutty, but not pecans.

T- That sweet aroma translates here in the opening with an almost burnt edging. The sweetness is nutty, not pecans at all, but malty sweetness all over some earthy flavors. Middle is biscuit malt that becomes overwhelmed by the finish within seconds. Finish is bitterly hopped that lingers and dominates in a manner that I really didn't want for this beer.

M- Thin, mild body. Some carbonation issues here; flat. Wish it was stronger mouthfeel. Lingers unfortunately strong making me think this is an extremely hopped porter.

D- No thank you. This is interesting, but I had to work through my 10 ounce pour. I am unimpressed with my first Clown Shoes. The alcohol doesn't present a problem, at least.

2.83/5  rDev -24.9%

Bottle consumed at Dark Lord Day. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pours a moderately-dark brown color with a thin off-white head that leaves just a speck of lacing there as it goes down. The nose brings forward some pecan as well as light toffee and butter. Almost reminiscent of cotton candy as you move into the flavor; it's just that sort of sweetness. Nuts and a bit of butter and toffee finish off the flavor. Not unpleasant, but not something I really enjoyed too much either. Mouthfeel was fairly smooth and one of the better aspects, but the creamy toffee still crept through. Not a bad beer, but not something I would seek out again.

2.83/5  rDev -24.9%

From 01/02/11 notes. Shared by nmann08 at a local tasting; thanks Nate.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of vanilla, sugar, sweet fruit, pecan pie. Way too sweet, very overpowering.

t - Tastes of sugar, vanilla, bready malts, pecan, sweet fruit, and alcohol. Again, very sweet and some alcohol as well. Not that great.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation, smooth and creamy.

d - Overall I just didn't think this beer was very drinkable; it was way to sweet to me. I know some people liked it but didn't do it for me; lots of sugar and vanill in the nose and mouth. Wouldn't look to have again.

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pecan Pie Porter has a giant, sudsy head, like a foaming pitcher of root beer. It seems almost artificial, something you would see in a cartoon image of an overflowing mug of beer. I’ve never seen one like it. Golden brown foam rests atop a dark brown/black body.

It smells like a deconstructed pecan pie; toffee, cream, butter, sweet malts and vanilla. I wish I enjoyed the taste as much as I did the aroma. What I thought was going to be a sweet, dessert beer was really similar to an American brown ale, composed of toasted and bready malts, roasted nuts, and a slight mineralness. The body was medium and sticky, with a lingering sweetness.

To me, this was a very one-dimensional beer. It wasn’t much like pecan pie, and mixing that with a bitter brown ale made it not too drinkable. I wanted something more like oatmeal-type beer, but was left disappointed as it thinned out in the end

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

My mate Doopie had a bottle of this and hated it, so he forced me to take his other bottle from him so it wouldn't negatively influence his other beers. Thanks man!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: A brown pour yields a three finger, medium looking, fluffy, light brown head with very great retention. Black body with piles of carbonation going nuts all over the place. Head slowly fades to a thick foam cap and clings to the sides of the glass. A good wisp remains until the end leaving some nice lacing. Head was solid, but the carbonation was out of control.

SMELL: Really smells like pecan pie. Nuts, buttery aroma, and doughy bread aromas. Some dark malts as well, but mostly buttery nuts. Quite bold as well.

TASTE: Not as bold as the nose, (un)fortunately. Dark malts and nut flavored, buttery bread. Lots of butter and nuts move into a pecan pie aftertaste that’s bold enough and lingers well. This is a pecan pie porter for sure. Believe the label. Buttery pecan nuts.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes relatively dry on the palate. Fine here.

OVERALL: I’m not sure what to say. They wanted to brew a pecan pie porter, and they certainly succeeded. I’m not sure if pecan pie makes a great porter, but they certainly brewed exactly what the label says. Give it a try if you’re into pecan pie. For me, this was interesting, but ultimately a bit tough going and definitely difficult to score. Regardless, I will drink your rejects anytime Doops. Cheers!

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

A: Pours a deep brown, basically black, with one full finger of brown head. The foam settles in a reasonably amount of time. There is a good amount of lacing left on the glass as it drinks.

S: I'm picking up sweet malt, caramel, and blueberries. Yup. It reminds me of blueberry pomegranate juice. It's overly sweet and the fruit notes dominate.

T: It starts out malty and fruity sweet. But there is an underlying grossness to this beer. It's stale, and a bit sour (not in a good way). There is a dry bitter funk that lingers on the palate long after the beer has been downed. I'm getting way more blueberry than pecan.

M: Full bodied beer. This starts out sweet, and finishes with an awful dry bitter funk that lingers forever.

O: I love the idea of a pecan pie porter (I love pecan pie and I love porters), but this is not a very good beer. It starts out ok, but it falls short on so many levels.

3.13/5  rDev -17%

Great color, good smell, great presentation. Even the taste, on the way down, was good, but this has a very odd aftertaste. Someone noted bitter -- I'd go as far to suggest that it's a pecan nut extract flavor and, a good 10-15 minutes after finishing it, I can still taste it. This is surely a sipping beer -- and perhaps one which must have the real pecan pie to balance it out. I didn't finish the bottle -- rare in my experience -- due to the aftertaste.

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Many thanks to portia99 for throwing this surprise in the box for me.

A: Black brew with a 1" black and tan head on an aggressive pour.

S: great nose here...caramel escaped as soon as the bottle was opened, a little chocolate, a little toffee. Smells a lot like the Jones Soda version did a few years ago.

T: Hmm...not nearly as sweet as it smells. Not a whole lot of flavor here - a little sweet kick at the finish that tastes chemically created. Makes me suspect we're dealing with artifical extracts to give this one its excellent smell.

M/D: More thin and watery than my nose wants to believe, and on the lower end compared to other Am Porters I've tried. Oily, soapy mouthfeel affects drinkability negatively.

Pecan Pie Porter from Clown Shoes