Pecan Pie Porter - Clown Shoes

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: jamie2dope on 11-12-2010

Ratings: 173 | Reviews: 62
1.91/5  rDev -49.3%

I picked up a bomber of this while passing thru Mass.

Appearance is dark brown with a thin tan head. The smell is extra sugary in an artificial way, kind of medicinal as well. Its` taste is even worse, more hyped up sweetness, like the candied peanuts a street car vendor sells. And there is also more of that medicinal quality, similar to a cough syrup. MF is so-so, fairly smooth. But with everything in mind, I did not enjoy this beer. Other selections from Clown Shoes I have enjoyed...oh well.

2.09/5  rDev -44.6%

22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a dark brown with an almost non-existent head. Maybe a very thin, slightly light brown head at most.

Smell is almost overpowering. Butterscotch with pecan and vanilla extracts.

Taste is much of the same. Heavy on the butterscotch, pecan and vanilla. Way too sweet. Almost sugary. Very cloying.

Has a syrupy thickness to it. Almost zero carbonation.

Luckily I split this one with some because I wouldn't have been able to finish the full 22oz. The smell, taste and mouthfeel were all too overpowering.

2.56/5  rDev -32.1%

Picked up at Leary's in Newburyport, MA.

I love Clown Shoes. Hoppy Feet is still a go-to when I need a substantial hoppy punch in the face. I was totally disappointed with this beer. It is not a bad beer; it simply isn't a good or great beer. The aromas muted to the point of indistinguishable. I truly don't understand the reviews up to this point. I could not discern the breadth and depth of flavors previously attributed to this beer. A bland porter.

2.61/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 24 ounce bottle into a euro mug. Served cool.

Got this beer at Blanchards in Allston MA. Dark brown body and a dark tan head. Smells of milk chocolate with a hint of brown sugar. Slight pecan smell. Taste is malty chocolate with a slight booze finish. Medium to full body and somewhat dry finish. Not a bad brew but a bit disappointing on the pecan part of it. Don't really taste any pecans.

2.74/5  rDev -27.3%

Transferred from tasting notes.

A- Solid finger head with chocolate brown head. Creamy with full lacing, thick retention. Very tiny bubbles and a almost pitch black body. The right angle in a decent light shows a mocha edging.

S- Super buttery. Super biscuity. This smells like pie crust with a nauseating sweetness to the back end. It really hurts to smell this after the first few discerning sniffs. Nutty, but not pecans.

T- That sweet aroma translates here in the opening with an almost burnt edging. The sweetness is nutty, not pecans at all, but malty sweetness all over some earthy flavors. Middle is biscuit malt that becomes overwhelmed by the finish within seconds. Finish is bitterly hopped that lingers and dominates in a manner that I really didn't want for this beer.

M- Thin, mild body. Some carbonation issues here; flat. Wish it was stronger mouthfeel. Lingers unfortunately strong making me think this is an extremely hopped porter.

D- No thank you. This is interesting, but I had to work through my 10 ounce pour. I am unimpressed with my first Clown Shoes. The alcohol doesn't present a problem, at least.

2.81/5  rDev -25.5%

Bottle consumed at Dark Lord Day. Served in a SAVOR snifter.

Pours a moderately-dark brown color with a thin off-white head that leaves just a speck of lacing there as it goes down. The nose brings forward some pecan as well as light toffee and butter. Almost reminiscent of cotton candy as you move into the flavor; it's just that sort of sweetness. Nuts and a bit of butter and toffee finish off the flavor. Not unpleasant, but not something I really enjoyed too much either. Mouthfeel was fairly smooth and one of the better aspects, but the creamy toffee still crept through. Not a bad beer, but not something I would seek out again.

2.86/5  rDev -24.1%

From 01/02/11 notes. Shared by nmann08 at a local tasting; thanks Nate.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of vanilla, sugar, sweet fruit, pecan pie. Way too sweet, very overpowering.

t - Tastes of sugar, vanilla, bready malts, pecan, sweet fruit, and alcohol. Again, very sweet and some alcohol as well. Not that great.

m - Medium to full body and low carbonation, smooth and creamy.

d - Overall I just didn't think this beer was very drinkable; it was way to sweet to me. I know some people liked it but didn't do it for me; lots of sugar and vanill in the nose and mouth. Wouldn't look to have again.

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

My mate Doopie had a bottle of this and hated it, so he forced me to take his other bottle from him so it wouldn't negatively influence his other beers. Thanks man!

From a bomber into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: A brown pour yields a three finger, medium looking, fluffy, light brown head with very great retention. Black body with piles of carbonation going nuts all over the place. Head slowly fades to a thick foam cap and clings to the sides of the glass. A good wisp remains until the end leaving some nice lacing. Head was solid, but the carbonation was out of control.

SMELL: Really smells like pecan pie. Nuts, buttery aroma, and doughy bread aromas. Some dark malts as well, but mostly buttery nuts. Quite bold as well.

TASTE: Not as bold as the nose, (un)fortunately. Dark malts and nut flavored, buttery bread. Lots of butter and nuts move into a pecan pie aftertaste that’s bold enough and lingers well. This is a pecan pie porter for sure. Believe the label. Buttery pecan nuts.

PALATE: Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes relatively dry on the palate. Fine here.

OVERALL: I’m not sure what to say. They wanted to brew a pecan pie porter, and they certainly succeeded. I’m not sure if pecan pie makes a great porter, but they certainly brewed exactly what the label says. Give it a try if you’re into pecan pie. For me, this was interesting, but ultimately a bit tough going and definitely difficult to score. Regardless, I will drink your rejects anytime Doops. Cheers!

3.13/5  rDev -17%

A: Pours a deep brown, basically black, with one full finger of brown head. The foam settles in a reasonably amount of time. There is a good amount of lacing left on the glass as it drinks.

S: I'm picking up sweet malt, caramel, and blueberries. Yup. It reminds me of blueberry pomegranate juice. It's overly sweet and the fruit notes dominate.

T: It starts out malty and fruity sweet. But there is an underlying grossness to this beer. It's stale, and a bit sour (not in a good way). There is a dry bitter funk that lingers on the palate long after the beer has been downed. I'm getting way more blueberry than pecan.

M: Full bodied beer. This starts out sweet, and finishes with an awful dry bitter funk that lingers forever.

O: I love the idea of a pecan pie porter (I love pecan pie and I love porters), but this is not a very good beer. It starts out ok, but it falls short on so many levels.

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pecan Pie Porter has a giant, sudsy head, like a foaming pitcher of root beer. It seems almost artificial, something you would see in a cartoon image of an overflowing mug of beer. I’ve never seen one like it. Golden brown foam rests atop a dark brown/black body.

It smells like a deconstructed pecan pie; toffee, cream, butter, sweet malts and vanilla. I wish I enjoyed the taste as much as I did the aroma. What I thought was going to be a sweet, dessert beer was really similar to an American brown ale, composed of toasted and bready malts, roasted nuts, and a slight mineralness. The body was medium and sticky, with a lingering sweetness.

To me, this was a very one-dimensional beer. It wasn’t much like pecan pie, and mixing that with a bitter brown ale made it not too drinkable. I wanted something more like oatmeal-type beer, but was left disappointed as it thinned out in the end

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Great color, good smell, great presentation. Even the taste, on the way down, was good, but this has a very odd aftertaste. Someone noted bitter -- I'd go as far to suggest that it's a pecan nut extract flavor and, a good 10-15 minutes after finishing it, I can still taste it. This is surely a sipping beer -- and perhaps one which must have the real pecan pie to balance it out. I didn't finish the bottle -- rare in my experience -- due to the aftertaste.

3.27/5  rDev -13.3%

Many thanks to portia99 for throwing this surprise in the box for me.

A: Black brew with a 1" black and tan head on an aggressive pour.

S: great nose here...caramel escaped as soon as the bottle was opened, a little chocolate, a little toffee. Smells a lot like the Jones Soda version did a few years ago.

T: Hmm...not nearly as sweet as it smells. Not a whole lot of flavor here - a little sweet kick at the finish that tastes chemically created. Makes me suspect we're dealing with artifical extracts to give this one its excellent smell.

M/D: More thin and watery than my nose wants to believe, and on the lower end compared to other Am Porters I've tried. Oily, soapy mouthfeel affects drinkability negatively.

3.34/5  rDev -11.4%

22oz brown glass pry-top bottle. No freshness date.

Pours a super thick motor-oil black with almost no bubbles at all. Nose is over-poweringly dense. Lots and lots of pecan extract, vanilla extract, molasses, and maple syrup.

Palate is super rich and thick, chewy really. Flavors match aromas, with lots of pecan and molasses. Really huge. Finish is long and cloying, thus the low drinkability score.

Notes: Like super thick, chewy stouts? This is for you. Too dense to be appropriately named Porter. Tastes like a lot of extracts, malt, flavor, etc. But it's almost so much extract that it's not artificial tasting. Wouldn't want to drink this again. FFO Southern Tier Creme Brulee.

3.43/5  rDev -9%

I had this beer last night out of a 22oz in a tulip glass.

It was dark, but the edges lightened up to a nice amber/brown. Head wasnt too strong.

The smell was overpowering. Molasses and vanilla, and, obviously, a ton of pecan extract. I mean A TON, probably a little too much. It was awesome -- I was actually in awe of the way this beer hit my nose.

The taste was a lot like the smell. However, it doesnt hit the tongue in the same way, and it is a little less pleasant. I was a little disappointed here.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, went down smooth. Not too bubbly on the tongue, rather pleasant.

The drinkability was not that high for me. I found myself not wanting to finish the entire bomber, which is not usually an issue for me. I think it was just a little too sweet, or too pecan-y. I hear they are re-releasing it in the spring without so much extract, and I look forward to it if true.

Overall it was an interesting, if not entirely positive, experience. I think my expectations were too high. I would like to try it again, maybe with a piece of pumpkin pie next time.

3.43/5  rDev -9%

A - Dark brown beer with an off-white head that left a lot of stick on the sides.

S - Very sweet, with vanilla and a pecan nut smell. Something like pie crust or graham crackers or something is in there, as well as a bit of roast from the malts.

T - Taste is about like the nose with lots of roasted pecans, roasted malt, sweetness, vanilla and a bit of chocolate coming through. Tastes pretty pleasant, but is more of a desert thing than a great drinking beer.

M - Creamy, soft carbonation, pretty full bodied.

O - An enjoyable beer, but not a great one. Didn't mind drinking it and would have it again, but the sweetness of it will make this beer hard for some to get down.

3.47/5  rDev -8%

Pours a deep black with a one-finger brown head. Average lacing and head retention. Really nice aroma. Smells of pecans, buttery crust, vanilla and dark fruit. Flavor follows, but mellower and not as well executed. Buttery start to the flavor. Roasted pecans and pecan butter. A little acidic towards the middle followed by some dark chocolate notes to cap it off. Flavor doesn't exactly mix well and the beer lacks smoothness and cohesion.

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short beige head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains bready malts, nuts, dark fruit and some spices.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of coffee, caramel, spices, dark fruit, nuts and some chocolate. Then a hearty roasted malt character quickly follows. The hops presence is mild but complementary and brings some balance. The after-taste is bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easy, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style while adding the pecan pie twist, it’s a bit different from your typical winter seasonals and is a good beer overall, but still falls into that group with most winter seasonal where I can either take them or leave them.

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%

750ml bottles brought home from my trip to boston for EBF/NotB. drank from my samuel adams perfect pint glass.

A- this one pours out an opaque dark brown colored body with a finger and a half of khaki colored head on top. the head lasts for a while before falling, and leaves behind small spots of lacing.

S- woah, this is going to be sweet. as soon as my nose nears the glass, i get big scents of cake batter and vanilla. lots of toasted pecan in here also. some chocolate towards the end.

T- yeah, its sweet. it starts out with the cake batter and toasted pecans that i could smell before quickly moving into the chocolate area. a little bit of vanilla comes out near the end, and a little bit of alcohol sneaks in also.

M- medium bodied, bordering on full. a nice lower level of carbonation really works here. very smooth and creamy.

D- definitely an interesting beer. a little over the top with sweetness, but i can see having this as an after dinner thing. id be willing to try it again sometime. a nice introduction to a new brewery.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Very dark with reddish brown edges and a thin coating of fine tan bubbles coating the surface of both the beer and about a half inch of the glass. Decent head retention. The aroma was quite roasty, bread and caramel, brown sugar and butter, a bit spicy. Pecans in the flavour, quite sweet with bitterness that didn't quite provide balance, toffee and butter, a hint of roast. Medium bodied with a bit of astringency, medium/low carbonation, fairly smooth, decent texture. Overall, I liked it -- the only (slight) issue I had was that I found it a bit too sweet for my tastes. Probably would have been better with dessert than on its own.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an interesting, complex, somewhat unusual beer. I like it, but it is not a beer for every occasion. It pours a dark mahogany matte color with not much light penetrating through. The head is fairly small, a bit of creaminess but very little head. The beer laces a bit. The nose is sweet nuttiness, definitely a cake like batter aroma, I can't necessarily detect the pecans in the nose. The nose is very unusual so pecans it is because it isn't something that you'll come across too often. The sweetish cookie dough, cake batter is a bit more pronounced.

The taste is roasted, slightly charred, nutty flavors, with some ABV warming notes underneath. The beer is quite smooth, very nutty, but with a slighly burnt ash quality. This is a medium bodied beer. The aftertaste is a bit much. There is definitely pecan or some type of brazil nut taste to the beer. I wouldn't have immediately pegged it as pecan, but for the name and the label. Nutty porter this certainly is, pecan in particular is maybe a bit tougher to pin down. This is an unusual offering that is worth seeking out.

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark brown opaque color with a small tan head. Below average lacing. Mediocre carbonation.

Smell: The nose smells of pecans, butterscotch, caramel, brown sugar, and toasted malts.

Taste: This beer arrives with a sweet punch of pecan pie followed by a lingering smoked finish once the sweetness subsides. Tastes like a perfect dessert beer. Malt, butter, and caramel notes are prominent. Hints of chocolate are in the background. The taste is just like the smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Average carbonation. Smooth, sweet, and creamy.

Ending notes: I was impressed by this beer. It was, however, a little on the sweet side. Overall, it's a very good dessert brew and I would recommend it as such.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Dark cola-brown, decent head and lacing

Smell: Butter pecan ice cream, vanilla, cocoa

Taste: A bit bitter with pecans, cocoa, toffee, vanilla and hops. Very nutty and a bit sweet.

Mouthfeel: Dry, perhaps a bit thin and acidic

Drinkability: My buddy killed his half of a bottle, I wasn't crazy about this one.

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stumbled across this curiosity at my local wine shop. Never heard of the brew nor the brewer, but there’s no way I’m about to pass up a beer whose label depicts Genghis Khan throwing pies at turkeys.

A: Pours black with a teensy bit of mocha head.

S: Very malty. Brown sugar’s big here, but not really getting the pecan pie thing they were going for. Chocolate, coffee, a bit of vanilla. Smells like a typical porter, I suppose, if a bit thin.

T: I guess it was silly of me to realistically think this would actually taste like pie. It doesn't. It tastes like beer. Which is good! Right? Caramelized sugar at the tip of the tongue is quickly overtaken by coffee and hops. Not nearly as sweet as I had expected. Bitter chocolate/coffee aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with barely-existent carbonation.

O: It’s not a bad beer - far from it – but it’s not the beer I wanted. No, it does not taste like pecan pie. It tastes like a slightly above average coffee porter.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip. Bottle generously provided by apollokim during the 'You Aint From Around Here?' BIF, thanks Kim!

A - A deep dark brown pour, with a 1.5-finger, tan head on top. Retention is pretty good, lasting a few minutes. Lacing is nice as well, covering a generous portion of the sides with thin lace.

S - Smell is much more sweeter than I would've expected, despite the pie that is glaring at me on the label. A delicious-smelling concoction of brown sugar, toasted pecans, bread crust, and a surprising amount of vanilla entice the nose. It's not on the same level of sweetness as say, Southern Tier's dessert beers, but it is approaching it.

T - Taste is a direct continuation of the nose. Big, big vanilla notes mixed an insane amount of nuttiness. This is a sweet beer, but I'm not sure I'd expect anything else. Some chocolate and coffee, but the majority of this beer is sugar, vanilla, and toasted pecans.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with lowish carbonation. Not too abrasive in the mouth but a tad bit watery. Aftertaste is all nutty sugar.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. Probably one of the most interesting and well-executed dessert beers I've had. Really nice flavors, but the sugar in this keeps it from being one you drink a lot of or too quickly.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Was color a basically opaque brown, with a light mocha brown head. Head didn't really exist, just had a small ring around the top. Aroma was sweet, almost too sweet. Reminded me a bit of a butter scotch and molasses. taste was halfway there. Parts of it was well balanced, a bit of malt, with a touch of hops, with some slightly overdone pecan pie. The other part was acidic and bitter. Depending on which part you tasted, it was either a solid porter, or an EH porter. Definitely better as it warmed up. Felt very good in the mouth, Coated extremely well, and was fairly nicely carbonated. Fairly drinkable, just a bit acidic in the mouth.

Pecan Pie Porter from Clown Shoes