Pecan Pie Porter | Clown Shoes

Added by jamie2dope on 11-12-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 186

22 oz bottle

A: Deep dark brown under a very small tan head. Very slight retention and some OK lace.

S: Sweet, really sweet, pecans, brown sugar, for some reason I'm picking up a strawberry hint, toasted malt.

T: Pecans, toasted and roasted malt, caramel, toffee, nutty, alcohol is hidden.

M/D: Full bodied, carbonation is a high. Good drinkability. A very interesting and solid beer.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

pretty standard dark brown porter color that is completely opaque with a large grayish khaki colored head that slowly recedes while clinging nicely to the glass.

holy shit. pecan pie is right. lots of toasted pecans, brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, vanilla, and creme brulee. not exactly like pecan pie, but very dessert-like.

flavor is a bit more porter-like that the aroma. some dark roasted malts bring some coffee and a touch of char into play along with the pecans and pie flavors that were present in the aroma. nice.

almost medium bodied with a watery finish that is this beer's weak point. carbonation level is okay. could use a creamier body to accentuate the sweetness.

drinks pretty well. could never do more than 1 in a sitting, but its a very well done dessert beer. not overly sweet, as the nutty and roasty flavors balance well.

4.49/5  rDev +20.4%

This one pours beautifully with a dark brownish/black color and a cream-colored frothy head. The head remained for a while and left a gorgeous lace.

The smell is exactly what I was hoping for when I read the name. It is popping with a fresh and spicy roasted pecan aroma. A hint of toasted malts comes through to provide a beautiful and mouth-watering sense of DESSERT!

The taste was also what I was hoping for as I generally do not love sweet beers. This base porter is actually dry...that's right, DRY! A plus for my personal taste.

My only caveat with the beer is that the pecan extract can leave a bit of a coating texture on your tongue, which I initially perceived as sweetness. That, however, was not enough to make me dislike this tasty porter.

This is definitely a beer that I would drink again. The nose is beautiful and I know plenty of people who would love this beer. An absolute must try for anyone who likes interesting beers.

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this with the real thing for dessert on Thanksgiving and continue to be impressed with Clown Shoes. This beer could have been horrible, but they did a good job of making a porter taste and smell like a pie. The smell is all butter and butter pecans with roast and chocolatey porter aromas. The taste is less sweet, actually hoppy, but you get a great nuttiness, vanilla, and a weird but nice fruitiness. I could only have a glass, so marking down on mouthfeel and drink, but overall, a very solid dessert beer.

2.56/5  rDev -31.4%

Picked up at Leary's in Newburyport, MA.

I love Clown Shoes. Hoppy Feet is still a go-to when I need a substantial hoppy punch in the face. I was totally disappointed with this beer. It is not a bad beer; it simply isn't a good or great beer. The aromas muted to the point of indistinguishable. I truly don't understand the reviews up to this point. I could not discern the breadth and depth of flavors previously attributed to this beer. A bland porter.

4.12/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two pint glasses. Thanks to HollyAnn for the assist! Extra special thanks to Jayli for this extra from our recent trade!

A: Pours a dark, cola-black with a creamy, khaki colored, two finger layer of foam that sported nice retention and some slight tendrils of sticky lace.

S: Holy crap! This smells good. Cookie dough/cake batter, butter pecan ice cream, vanilla, praelines, and cocoa.

T: Just as it smells with a pinch of espresso, bakers chocolate, roasted malt, and a definite (piney) hop presence.

M: Suprisingly dry and spicy considering how sweet and rich the aroma is. Oily and astringent with a lingering sweetness that spreads across the lips.

D: Something touting "Pecan Pie" could've gone horribly wrong. This, however, was pretty great. Thanks Jayli!

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

Consumed 11/18
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a rich, deep, dark chocolate brown that really borders on black. One finger of light brown head tops this brew. Head recedes relatively quickly and leaves minor wispy lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is buttery, strong vanilla, cake batter, pecan, and I swear I picked up a hint of blueberrry.

T: Taste is just fantastic. Starts with a nice chocolaty flavoring that quickly moves in to a nice buttery pecan nuttiness. Finish is a strong vanilla presence, a bit of coffee, and nice bitterness.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, nice silky feel the ends a touch chewy.

D: Goes down easily, VERY tasty, nice kick, somewhat filling, a nice variation of style. I'd love to grab a few more bottles of this one!

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

Great color, good smell, great presentation. Even the taste, on the way down, was good, but this has a very odd aftertaste. Someone noted bitter -- I'd go as far to suggest that it's a pecan nut extract flavor and, a good 10-15 minutes after finishing it, I can still taste it. This is surely a sipping beer -- and perhaps one which must have the real pecan pie to balance it out. I didn't finish the bottle -- rare in my experience -- due to the aftertaste.

3.62/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is an interesting, complex, somewhat unusual beer. I like it, but it is not a beer for every occasion. It pours a dark mahogany matte color with not much light penetrating through. The head is fairly small, a bit of creaminess but very little head. The beer laces a bit. The nose is sweet nuttiness, definitely a cake like batter aroma, I can't necessarily detect the pecans in the nose. The nose is very unusual so pecans it is because it isn't something that you'll come across too often. The sweetish cookie dough, cake batter is a bit more pronounced.

The taste is roasted, slightly charred, nutty flavors, with some ABV warming notes underneath. The beer is quite smooth, very nutty, but with a slighly burnt ash quality. This is a medium bodied beer. The aftertaste is a bit much. There is definitely pecan or some type of brazil nut taste to the beer. I wouldn't have immediately pegged it as pecan, but for the name and the label. Nutty porter this certainly is, pecan in particular is maybe a bit tougher to pin down. This is an unusual offering that is worth seeking out.

One of the best one from Ipswich breweries. I have tried all of the clown shoe series. All of them all exceptional. Pecan Pie just put you to holiday spirits. By the time you finish the bottle you are burping pecan pie,the beer is thick and full bodied.

4.27/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a 1pt. 6oz. bottle into a mug.

The color is a dark black with two fingers of foamy brownish head and some thick lacing left on the glass.

The smell is sweet with a big pecan flavor that is mixed with a bit of a cake bater flavor and a little bit of frosting as well. Some nutty flavor that is in the background.

The taste is full pecan flavor that is top to bottom full of the flavor of pecans. Some mixed nut flavor is evident in the background with a creamy nut flavor that seems to butter the different nut flavors together.

The feel of this beer is smooth and creamy and has a poppy twang that is a little lactic as well.

3.76/5  rDev +0.8%

I picked this up at Cardullo's in Harvard Square Cambridge MA and an attendant said it was so new they hadn't added the skew to the register yet. She also said she heard they had a hard time perfecting the recipe and eventually had to ship a very expensive pecan paste in from California to get it right.

Poured a reluctant to emerge 1.5" head. Dark like coffee. Does smell of pecan and burnt pie crust. Taste is good but if I didn't know it was pecan I may have guessed some other stout or porter. I'll admit it was very rich with a long finish, clearly a quality classy beer.

But here's the thing: I had a cheaper simpler cleaner pecan beer recently from Abita. To me that sample was more pecan and praline-like and I was just as happy with it. I gave Abita a B, I see no reason I could give this sample a higher score than Abita.

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

I like Pecan Pie and I like Porter, so lets see how the two mesh together in the newest beer from Clown Shoes. Pour is very dark, almost black in fact. Two fingers of tanned heading cap things off....not too much else to note, but it is a nice looking beer. Buttery pecans all the way in the nose, as well as some cake batter and crust. Taste is more of the same: Pecans, butter, chocolate, some smoke and charcoal, and ending on a somewhat bitter note. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy, feeling bigger than the ABV suggests. Drinkability is good, but this is still a sipper, one to take your time with. It also would make for a perfect pairing with the real thing. Might I even suggest making the pie with this beer. Overall this one is a definite success for Clown Shoes as far as I am concerned. When I first tasted it, I was reminded of some of the sweet/dessert oriented beers from Southern Tier (surprised they didn't come up with the idea first). This is definitely my favorite from CS so far. Cheers

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last