Lubrication - Clown Shoes

good

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Black Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: busterthecat on 07-02-2011)

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

PLEASE NOTE THIS BEER IS NOT AN IPA!!!! Duh! Tastes like a black beer should. I love this beer. I've tried many black beers and most are too malty for my taste. On first try I felt like this is what I've been waiting for my whole life! I buy this when I'm feeling rich as the price of 10 bucks for a 4 pack is a bit pricey for regular enjoyment. I know that is has some orange flavor added and some purists will turn their nose up at this thought. I usually would feel the same as I don't like anything but beer in my beer however the orange is not noticeable to me and simply is part of the flavor's "build". If you tried this once and didn't like it I say try it again in a different environment.

4.68/5  rDev +30%

I love the name of this beer and the label is very cool, with it's retro looking package and tin man. The beer pours just like the name would insinuate...it's pretty thick and black looking, almost goopy and aHAH "OIL-LIKE". The head has pretty good retention with a taupe/tan coloring to it. The bubbles were fairly small, and maintained a film throughout drinking the beer.

The smell is gorgeous with strong espresso notes and a slight hint of grapefruit. I generally do not get that into the heavier styles of beer so the smell and color are a little bit on the side that scares me. I love coffee and grapefruit though, so let's see...

The mouth is surpisingly light and very well balanced. It has nice acidity and a great balance of malty sweetness and subtle hops. I am really digging this beer and finally understand why they made this their summer seasonal.

The finish is on the medium side for length, but I am really into this beer. It has awesome coffee character and fruity overtones. I'm diggin' it.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. Not a coffee drinker and thought it would have too much of a coffee taste but it didn't. Loved the color and the taste. Very rich and enjoyable after dinner. Not sure I would drink this on a daily basis but loved it and will definitelybuy more and recommend to my friends.

4.47/5  rDev +24.2%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

The color is a dark black with some slight maroon highlights and two finger of foamy brownish head and some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell is a little bit toasty and a little bit chocolate at first. There is some slight hop flavor in the back as a package deal in the nose and is pretty interesting.

The taste is dark malt flavor like a porter but has some slight zing on this that is wrapped in dark chocolate with some slight smoke flavor. A small bit of coffee flavor is way back there but present and ties things together in the very end.

The feel of this beer is medium body but has some nice creamy feel that is great. This is pretty drinkable and has some nice notes.

This would be a good beer to have with a cigar. There is a nice drinkable feel but also have a nice burnt flavor.

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

From one of my favorite breweries. Gregg Berman is my personal hero! Picked this one up after the Midwest Brewers Fest. Poured into a New Belgium Globe. Pours a jet black, no light gets through, even when tilting the glass. Big, two fingered light tan head drops slowly, leaving a nice wisp of foam and lacing. Can't be improved upon.

Aromas of big grapefruit hops overpower the roasted malt underneath. Some licorise hiding back there for good measure. Would like more hop aroma.

Flavors of big citric hops, grapefruit, grapefruit zest, and roasted malt mesh very nicely. Licorise on the fade of a medium finish. Would like a little more hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium/light, with a nice mouthcoating bitterness, mild astringency (a plus) and a good level of carbonation. A little more hop bite, I don't feel the pull at the back of the teeth.

Overall an excellent example of the style. Does not taste like a hoppy stout. Roast takes a back seat to the hops, and plays a minor role. Nicely done, Gregg!

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep black color, with a thin but dense off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains roasted malts, coffee chocolate and a good amount of hops.

T: The taste starts out with sweet flavors of chocolate and coffee that are quickly followed by a hearty roasted malt character. Then there’s a strong but not over-powering hops presence that comes in and creates a very good balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry but slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, decent kick, very good representation of style, this is a very nice ABA worth drinking for a whole evening.

4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

12 oz. Purchased a four pack. Four pack has the robot, bottles are a new design, kind of cool.

A: Dark, dark brown. Mahogony with black tinges. Medium head, some clump lace.

S: Chocolate, citrus, licorice, roast.

T: Espresso, dark chocolate, citrus. Pretty complex and in balance.

M: Light mouthfeel but this works for me.

This is a solid, ABA, BIPA, CDA, whatever!

4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

Drank this while reading the discussion last night. I enjoy the label art! The beer's got a brown/black color, big tan head, some lacing. Smells of dark chocolate, pine, light grapefruit hops, orange zest. The taste is not as bitter as hoppy feet, much easier to drink. Very good. A little light on the mouthfeel, but that made it more IPA like. Strong reccomend!

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours a pitch black color with a thin brown head into my glass. Irene's bearing down but won't stop me from having a beer.

Minty/piney hops are present in a way that literally blows my olfactory glands.

Hops dominate the palate in such a manner that it's equal to drinking hop juice. Very refined.

Lots of lingering mint/pine from the hops. Very balanced.

I like this example of the style. Recommended.

4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

Snagged a bottle of this at Julio's. I dont get whats so controversial about the artwork...anyways, poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a deep dark oily brown with a big mocha two finger head that slumps down to leave a quarter inch blanket and very, very nice side lacing.

S - Not quite as nice as Hoppy Feet. Light chocolate and bitter hops on the nose along with some roasted malts.

T - This is more like it. Nice chocolate and coffee followed with that nice bitter piney/grapefruit hops with just a light roasted malt. I think this tastes pretty much exactly like Hoppy Feet though, atleast, in my memory.

M - Better mouthfeel, I think, than Hoppy Feet. Enough carbonation to keep it crisp on the tongue. Still creamy and dry?

O - I really enjoying this offering from Clown Shoes. I just dont know though, I would need to taste it side by side with Hoppy Feet because right now in my memory they're both damn near identical brews. I have to give the edge to Hoppy Feet.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

A - Completely black in color, no light escapes this. 2 fingers tan head with lots of visible carbonation up the edges of the glass.

S - Nice roasted malts, coffee, toffee, rounded out with lots of earthy, piney hops. Pretty good smell for a black IPA.

T - This is where it shines. Malts take a back seat to the hops and they run the show. General bitterness up front flowing into earthy hops. There's a nice hint of chocolate to go with the hops in the middle of the flavor. Roasted flavors such as coffee and toffee are still there but the general bitterness still takes over much of the flavor.

M - Medium bodied, lots of carbonation. Finish is slightly wet and bitter with slight spicy hop taste.

O - This is a pretty good example of of Black IPA. One of the better ones I have had, at least for my taste in this style of beer.

Lubrication from Clown Shoes