Muffin Top - Clown Shoes

Muffin TopMuffin Top

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Belgian IPA |  10.00% ABV

Muffin Top combines the attributes of a Belgian Tripel with a huge burst of American hops. Intense flavors from the Belgian yeast, reminiscent of candied fruits, mix with the hop bitterness and sweet orange peel to create a unique take on a Belgian-Style ale.

(Beer added by: Reagan1984 on 09-02-2011)
View: Beers (27) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by dalahodson:
dalahodson

3.63/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

cloudy yellow in color, small cream color head that turns to a nice lace on top. The smell is of malt, hops and a citrus background. Not to bitter. Nice mouth feel with the taste just like it smells. At 10% you would expect a stronger alcohol flavor, but it is pleasantly missing. Very easy to drink.

03-23-2013 16:23:04 | More by dalahodson
DIPAFAN

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

07-30-2014 22:41:14 | More by DIPAFAN
hreb

Washington

4.13/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle poured into tapered glass. Beer pours relatively amber in color for an IPA, with a massive orange creamsicle colored head. Huge, tropical hop aroma is immediately evident. Pineapple, papaya. My sense of smell is not at 100% today but this really is one of the most fantastic smelling beers I've ever cracked (assuming you can abide the lack of citrus / pine cones). Flavor is similarly tropical. I think this might be the fruit punch of IPAs. And as promised, there's a good dose of Belgian yeasty goodness, throwing a well-placed curve ball into the brew. Orange peel and bitter orange soda mixed in there, too. I imagine this to be a really fresh brew. The flavors are strong and definitely unconventional, and I could easily see the flavor being divisive among connoisseurs. I commend Clown Shoes for the novel concept fabulously executed, but still I'll admit the flavor isn't exactly all beer, and I find it a bit tiresome after a while. Which is probably for the best given the well-masked 10.5% ABVs.

07-29-2014 02:04:51 | More by hreb
AleHunter805

07-25-2014 00:45:17 | More by AleHunter805
warnerry

07-21-2014 01:19:09 | More by warnerry
AgentMunky

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a tulip glass at Capitol Tap Room.

A: Great lacing. Golden hazy.

S: Citrus peel and floral sweetness.

T: Interesting and tasty! A little sweeter than I'd hoped; there are very citrusy hops amidst sweet malt and spicy-floral Belgian yeast. Aftertaste is obviously and pleasantly hoppy. Almost too much so.

M/O: Just a little thin and abrasive at times; then sugary sweet at others. Strange. I don't think I'd have another, but I'm glad I tried it.

07-20-2014 05:28:28 | More by AgentMunky

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

07-15-2014 03:46:31 | More by TigerOwl
woodychandler

4.26/5  rDev +11.8%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles and I have taken to enlisting aid in doing so. The real logjam comes in the form of bombers. Do not misunderstand me, I am capable of drinking the contents of a bomber by myself, but I am hesitant to do so. Bomb(er)s away!

Beek had taken off, but Justin Chlan was still game, so I pulled out this curiosity.

From the bottle: "Intense flavors, reminiscent of candied fruits, mix with American hops and sweet orange peel to create a unique take on a Begian-Style Ale."; "Disclaimer: No muffin tops were harmed in the production of this label."; "Belgian-Style Tripel india pale ale".

That description was as hard to get my mind around as Brew Dogs' Golden Stout that they made in Las Vegas. These are not styles, they are madness! Embrace the madness, I say!

Mine was "Bottled 2/2012" so I seized the reins and went with a nearly inverted pour! I think that my judgement may have been rendered compromised at that point in the day. My overly aggressive pour may have stirred up some sleeping beasts. I got a dense finger of tawny head from my ridiculous pour, but at least, it had good retention. Color was a slightly-hazy, deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13). I apologize for th lack of clarity as there probably had been some settling. Nose was odd and I got aged sharp cheddar cheese, fusel alcohol and candi sugar. Remind me, why did I feel the need to gild the lily and open this beast? Mouthfeel was medium but it brought the heat. Whew! There was no doubting its 10% ABV, but that might have been low, actually. Once the initial fire subsided, I began to taste a sugary fruitiness, which they called "candied fruits" and "intense" and I was not going to disagree. Finish left an alcohol burn that reminded me just how the length of my esophagus is laid out. I felt like a flame swallower with the circus! Dry? Gaspingly so! Pour me another, Justin. I am feeling rather poorly at the moment.

07-13-2014 15:58:30 | More by woodychandler

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

07-08-2014 06:05:58 | More by yumyab
biboergosum

3.76/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle. What would be wrong about destroying muffin tops (either kind) in the interest of producing a good beer?

This beer pours a slightly hazy, bright medium bronzed amber colour, with three fat fingers of puffy, bubbly, and loosely foamy ecru head, which leaves a bit of sudsy caveman painting lace around the glass as it quickly hies it outta there.

It smells of dank pine resin, overripe orange and white grapefruit peel, bready, biscuity pale malt, earthy, yeasty banana chips, grape licorice vines, further white sugar notes, and leafy, floral hops. The taste is more musty, forest floor detritus pine/leaf flora, simple syrup, a mixed citrus rind bitterness, grainy and mildly creamy pale malt, peppery yeast, and a prominent spicy leafiness.

The carbonation is fairly active and frothy in its ministrations, the body a dense medium weight, mostly smooth, and perhaps a tad creamy, in an airy sense. It finishes generally sweet, the sugar, pale malt, and fruitiness all proving a steady counterpoint to all the potential pine bitterness and alcohol astringency that never was.

For a Belgian IPA, this is good. For an all around enjoyable brew, it's so-so, the faults inherent in the style exacerbated by the extra sugary notes introduced by the brewer. Whatevs, it goes down better than I would have thought, is hoppy and boozy, and those spicy-ass tacos (love ya, Mom, thanks for having put the 'life' in larger than life) cooking in my kitchen will make an excellent pairing for the rest of this, methinks.

07-08-2014 06:04:29 | More by biboergosum