2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blaecorn Unidragon - Clown Shoes

Blaecorn UnidragonBlaecorn Unidragon

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.50% ABV

(Beer added by: JamnesCameron on 09-25-2011)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 929 | Reviews: 269 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by tigg924:
tigg924

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Had on tap at BBC Cedarville--served into a tulip glass.

Appearance: black in color, 1/4inch head, opaque, minimal carbonation

Smell: roasted malt, dark chocolate, and alcohol

Taste: roasted malt, dark chocolate, creamy vanilla and alcohol--especially on the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: heavy bodied, moderate carbonation, sweet with roasty bitterness and alcohol burn at the end

Overall: An above average chocolate treat. I think the booziness in this one is a bit too overwhelming and dominates some of the other flavors. That separates it from others that I like more in the style. Not a bad beer, but there are others that I would go to first in the style.

11-21-2012 16:46:56 | More by tigg924

Qwest_35

04-10-2014 22:27:54 | More by Qwest_35
neurobot01

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%

Served into a large snifter at below cellar temp. Bottle date is 1/02/13 (I think); I bought it about two weeks ago from a place notorious for questionable storage practices, so we'll see...

Appearance: Nothing remarkable. Almost no head to speak of.

Smell: Very intriguing. A lot of spice notes—cinnamon and nutmeg—along with ample fruits: raisin, comice pear, maybe pink grapefruit. Much brighter than expected, with very little chocolate/coffee/dark fruit/roast character. As it warms, I get more vanilla in the nose.

Taste: My first reaction is that this tastes like an ABA—very hop-forward initial flavor. After that moves out of the way (and it takes a while), some chocolate, roast malts, and dried fig comes forward. As it warms, the first flavor gives way to something more like apple or pear. Not unenjoyable, but not what I typically associate with the style!

Feel: The mouthfeel actually suits the flavor profile quite nicely. It's surprisingly light and tingly for the style (still medium bodied overall). I'd honestly almost believe I was drinking some sort of sparkling white wine from a heavily toasted barrel, given the taste and feel.

Overall: This was miles away from what I was expecting. Maybe my bottle was stored poorly over the last 15 months, and therefore has morphed into a different beast, but I actually like this a lot!

04-09-2014 03:34:29 | More by neurobot01

Ontario (Canada)

04-05-2014 04:59:23 | More by jsnoek
Neorebel

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

As I pour a glass of Blaecorn Unidragon, I am not sure what to expect, except that it will very likely be tasty, as Clown Shoes is quite adept at crafting imperial stouts. It certainly looks properly dark, nearly like obsidian. I am seeing no signs of carbonation and just a little foam encircling the top of the brew.

The aroma is very fresh, almost flowery... with a hint of vanilla creme...however, there is a campfire-like aspect present as well. After a big sip washes over my palate, I find the flavor to be extremely malty, with sugary fruit esters at heart. But curiously, those flavors seem to be 'wrapped' in a blanket of pleasant smokiness and toasty/roasted grains.

It doesn't feel as heavy as one might think, I would put this at a 'medium.' Overall, the two dominant aspects to this beverage are balanced nicely. It's a little more sweet and malty than smoky, and that's the way it should be. An absolute pleasure for me to recommend to other RIS fans for sure!

04-04-2014 23:41:33 | More by Neorebel
PhatAtUT

04-04-2014 22:15:12 | More by PhatAtUT
MattXT

04-01-2014 18:22:40 | More by MattXT
Alextricity

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottled 7/8/13 and poured 3/31/14. A bit of age on this one, but not much. $11.99 bomber poured into all that was clean, a shaker pint (agh).

Appearance: Pitch black with the slightest bit of ruby on the edges. A surprising two finger, creamy tan head on it that stays around. That was unexpected to see from a 12.5% brew. There's even a wall of lacing for most of the glass! Looks phenomenal, especially given the ABV.

Smell: Smokey, roasty, chocolatey, and some caramel. Really nice smelling beer. The caramel sweetness knocks it up a bit because I didn't see it coming. Smokey character is also fairly significant. Very nice on the nose.

Taste/feel: Oh yeah, that's a big one. Blaecorn Unidragon has that sort of tangy yeast or whatever-the-hell-it-is thing to it and that's the first thing I notice. There's a medium/heavy feel with a fairly light carbonation. The flavor is a disappointment, at least when it's fresh out of the fridge, which strangely enough is normally where I prefer my RIS's temperature at. The taste on Blaecorn Unidragon is strangely light. You get the "big" feel of it with the alcohol warmth and the body and all of that, but the flavor -- at least when it's cold -- is just a deep roastiness with a slight smokiness on the finish. The bottle mentions "aggressive hops" and I suppose I get the slightest bit of earthy hops on the finish, as well as in the burps -- it gives it a black ale sort of vibe.

I think that the rating for this beer is about spot-on. Is it a good beer? Hell yeah, it's a good beer. $12 for a bomber good? No. I'd rather spend the extra $6 and get a legendary brew like Imperial Biscotti Break from Evil Twin, which is a mind blower. Blaecorn Unidragon is the very definition of a tasty, well-made, by-the-books sort of Russian Imperial Stout. I really do quite enjoy it, just not at its current price point, which I don't expect to change.

All-in-all, it's a tough call for this one. I can't recommend cellaring it just because it's already got a fairly mild flavor, but who knows, maybe it'd be a good idea (bottle recommends it). The nose on this brew had me very excited, but the flavor just left me a bit more than content. Roast, coffee, smoke, and a bit of earthy hoppiness. I like hoppiness in a black ale (strangely enough), but I never seem to love it in Imperial Stouts. I suppose I'd say... try this one for yourself and decide. It looks phenomenal, it smells fantastic, and has a great feel... but the taste has me wanting something more.

03-31-2014 17:37:48 | More by Alextricity