Blaecorn Unidragon - Clown Shoes

Blaecorn UnidragonBlaecorn Unidragon

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.50% ABV

(Beer added by: JamnesCameron on 09-25-2011)
1.5/5  rDev -63.2%

*Had at the end of the day on Thanksgiving 2014 at cellar temperature, so I am writing what I remember a day latter.*

A- Looked like an imperial stout with the black as night body and thick khaki head. Good lacing. Looks impressive.

S- Sweet and smokey. My cousin that had a glass said it smelled like coffee without cream. I did find faint chocolate and biscuit/bready notes. The smokiness was the big smell I got.

T- Harsh in a bad way. I had a Bourbon County Barleywine (bottled 2013) earlier this month that was harsh, but that was enjoyable to drink. I don't think the flavors in this beer work very well. You get smokiness and a weird amount of bitterness. It's almost like a floral/earthy kind of bitterness. I purposely picked up this beer over a Clown Shoes American Imperial Stout so I could stay away from a hoppy kind of bitter imperial stout, but this Russian Imperial Stout is more American than traditional. It was smokey, almost in a bacon or sausage type manner. Malts had to take a backseat to the off-putting bitter flavors. A bready, yeasty quality was faintly noticeable. And the typical dark fruitiness is there. It was like dark fruits soaked in alcohol that had the slightest woody texture to it. That was the only redeeming quality of the beer.

M- Thick, rich, and full bodied. The body had a syrupy slickness to it. This is an awesome sipping beer.

If there was such a thing as an imperial black ipa, this would be it. At room temperature it was unpleasant to drink. The bitter plus smokiness was a real turnoff. I know imperial stouts are better towards room temperature, but maybe this could have been better cool. And I also think this beer would be best with a little age to it. I can't say don't ever try this. But if you do, please age this one.

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

2.63/5  rDev -35.5%

A - Hard pour produces a bubbly, thick tan head. The brew itself is an opaque, very very dark brown. Despite how dark this is, you can tell this is highly carbed. The head settles to a one finger thick cap that remains for some time.

S - Sweet molasses intertwines itself with bitter roasted malts. Some cocoal and dark chocolate mixed in. There are some phenols, and a small sense of booze.

T - Harshly roasted malts, I mean charred. The strongest flavor would be black licorice, which I am not so much a fan of. There are some strains of dark chocolate. A bit of subdued heat but the alcohol is not so much tasted.

M - Thick bodied stout. Fairly smooth despite the harsh taste, and a highly carbed brew. Best part of the beer for me.

O - I've heard stories about the "harshness" of this beer and I feel it's correct. I let this sit for a year or more, and I can tell how harsh it must be fresh. Not my favorite flavor in a stout thats for sure. If you like black licorice, this is your thin. Just be sure to sit on it for about a year or so.

2.63/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Chilled bottle into a glass -- thanks KevSal!

A: Pours -- get this -- black. With (shock) a tan head. Just like the other two in the series (Vampire Slayer and Angry Beast). Poor retention.

S: The bottle is room temperature, so I'm surprised by how muted the aromas are here; they open up a bit with swirling, but not a heck of a lot. Anise, dark fruit, roasted malt -- and that's about it.

T: Anise and dark fruit carry most of the beer, but they are not very pronounced. The flavor is pretty weak, especially in comparison to Vampire Slayer next to it on the table. I'm surprised that this is a bigger beer with less presence.

M: Full-bodied with creamy carbonation.

O: I liked this last in the 'horizontal.' Vampire Slayer is a superior beer, and it carries the blend of these two (Angry Beast). Maybe this bottle was poorly handled along the way, but it was unremarkable and devoid of much aroma or flavor.

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

2.75/5  rDev -32.6%

2.8/5  rDev -31.4%

2.88/5  rDev -29.4%

Reviewed from Blind BIF 6
poured into my Bruery snifter, as instructed.

A - Pours black as night, no light can get through this darkness. an inch of dark tan/khaki head-nice retention as a top layer of foam stays on this beer. as i swirl this beer, carbonation is released perfectly and the head reappears instantly. Very nice lacing, im in for a high abv beer... 4.5

S - this has got to be a bourbon bbl stout. the smell is phenomenol! Bourbon, vanilla, cherries, plums, chocolate, a bit of roasty coffee. 4.5

T - the taste is a little more astringent and the flavors of the nose do not come through at all. Lots of black patent roasty malt to this beer. Very high IBU's, something i do not typically enjoy in my stouts. this beer is so astringent I feel i need to hydrate. this beer tastes like it needs a couple years of age to get out of puberty. 2

M- the mouth feel is good, slightly thin for this style. could be a little thicker and a little creamier. 2.5

O - this beer is about to be a drain pour for me. the hoppy astringency are just not inviting to my palate at all. If I had to choose a style, Im going with Russian Imperial Stout.

The reveal: Blaecorn Unidragon. Thanks Alewatcher! This beer was a definite want but not at all what i was expecting from the reviews I have read. I am really glad I had the opportunity to try this beer!!! I hope I can get my hands on another to age!

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

Thanks for sharing, Rich.

Black in color with an khaki colored head. Intensely roasty with a metallic tinge to it. There's an ashy quality to it as well as some smoke and burnt toast. The flavor is really no better. I get lots of smoke, ash, and char. The metallic character is still there as is a mild acidity. Maybe some molasses, licorice, and dark chocolate, but sort of a moot point.

2.95/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HeeatherAnn for the assist!

Bottled 9/11

A: Pours a perfectly acceptable, inky black with a small yet creamy, mocha colored head. Retention was good withb a thin collar and whispy skim remaining after about 10 minutes.

S: Fudge, dark fruit, and a healthy amount of char. Quite a bit of nostril tickling solvent alcohol.

T: See above with waaaay more hot booziness. After a sip or two, that's all you can taste...after the stale & burnt firepit ashes, of course.

M: Starts off smooth and creamy enough...then the door swings the other way towards complete palate fatiguing booziness.

O: I had high hopes for this but I felt a little let down by the Clown this time. Yes, I do realize that it's 12.5% and a certain amount of booziness is to be expected, but this was off the charts to us. Felt raw and unfinished. Definitely needs more time in the bottle.

Blaecorn Unidragon from Clown Shoes