Blaecorn Unidragon - Clown Shoes

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: JamnesCameron on 09-25-2011

Reviews: 332 | Hads: 1,448
4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours tar black, can't find any other color in it and I like that. Has a nice thick tan head. Smell is of dark chocolate, coffee, toffee, and a hint of dark ripe fruits reminiscent of fig. Initial sip reveals a pretty complex brew that doesn't have as much of the distinct chocolate or coffee flavors that the nose suggests. A plum/prune fruitiness is up front and the long lingering aftertaste is where the bitter dark chocolate, burnt caramel, and coffee comes into play. Thick rich mouthfeel that feels pretty good leaves me wanting more. High quality RIS, my first clown shoes experience has been a good one.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Serving type: Bomber

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black with a tan, half-inch thick head.

Smell: Unique smell. Smell the malts as a roasted smell. Small hint of booze.

Taste: Complex taste with lots of flavors. Hints of coffee and caramel with a strong, but subtle chocolate taste. Nutty aftertaste.

Overall: Good tasting imperial stout. Lots of flavors for your tongue to unmask. Enjoyable if you enjoy dark, chocolately/coffee stouts.

4.02/5  rDev -0.7%

22oz bottle dated 09/25/2012. Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

A: Pours a pitch black body, an abyss even when held to the light. A vigorous pour yields half an inch of mocha head, which dissipates quickly but maintains a nice ring and splotches on top as I drink the beer down.

S: Fudgy chocolate, roastiness, dark fruit, a little oxidization, a little alcohol.

T: A little hop bite even after two years, followed by roasted malt, some port sweetness, very dry, bitter chocolate, and more hops on the end. A little alcohol comes through, but is mostly just warming rather than an assertive flavor.

M: Pretty thick, but not at all syrupy, and starting to thin a little. Feels good, carries the flavors well, but doesn't stick around like the thickest/fudgiest stouts do.

O: This a nice, big RIS that is aging well, and will probably benefit from more time still. The alcohol is still pretty strong, and more dark fruit/port flavors are just beginning to emerge. I'll definitely pick up more to put away for awhile.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a thick, firm tan head, with remarkable retention. Brew is truly solid black, even against light. Fantastic label art. Lacing is nice where it appears. Everything about this beer looks awesome.

Smell very reminiscent of Founders Imperial Stout: banana chocolate smoothie with roasted barley. Perhaps a tad bit roastier and more bitter in the nose.

Tastes a lot like it smells: bitter roasty notes immediately up front, followed by some semi-sweet chocolate and banana, and finished off by a wave of thickly intertwined dark chocolate and roasted barley. Starts off bitter and sharp, rolling into smooth and creamy.

Earthy green hops, cacao, and barley all contribute to the bitterness in varying degrees.

Thick, almost chewy mouthfeel; creamy and silky. Long lasting finish; you'll be tasting this in your mouth, on your tongue and palate, and on your lips long after you've sent the liquid down to warm your belly.

This is up there with the best imperial stouts I've ever had, taking notes from all of them. FIS is a very clear parallel, but so are Ten-FIDY, Speedway Stout, and Narwhal. Absolutely delicious.

Another big beer that Clown Shoes hits out of the park!

4.24/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Great aroma of coffee/roasty notes, licorice, bakers chocolate mixed in there as well as a vanilla/sweet aroma that I can't put my finger on. Then when I took a drink it was like pow in the face with a smokey flavor I didn't really get on the nose. The smokey notes fade to chocolate and bitter coffee. The flavor is moslty dark roasty malts and lingering bitterness, so if you are looking for a more chocolate or sweet RIS I would pass on this. This body isn't very thick but the flavors sit on the palate for awhile. I keep smacking my lips and the beer just lingers which I am digging. The more I drink it the more impressed I get with it. When I first started it was like a low 4 now it's a solid 4.25. Might have pick on up to age.

4.84/5  rDev +19.5%

Opaque brown/black in nature stout that has a decent foamy tan head with minimal lacing. Smells of mostly roasted malts with nibs of chocolate and some coffee mixed in too. Tastes of bitter chocolate, dark brewed coffee, and roast. Smooth, and silky mouthfeel that finishes with a slight alcohol burn. Clown Shoes has produced another high quality stout that I have enjoyed greatly. Overall, not as good as Undead Party Crasher, but Blaecorn Unidragon holds it's own and I would try this one again.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bomber side-by-side comparison of Vampire Slayer (VS) @10% ABV and Blaecorn Unidragon (BU) @ 12.5% ABV. No visible dates but purchased on the same day. Poured into New Belgium Globes.

L: Both the VS and BU pour dark brown to black, VS maybe a little darker, but they are the same in the glass. Beige head on both is the same, okay retention on both.
S: Here is where the biggest difference shows through. BU has strong roast in the aroma, chocolate and light sweetness. VS has much more sweetness and a more full aroma without the strong and slightly rough bitterness of BU, also get some vanilla and similar flavors, maybe from the smoked malt.
T: BU is actual pretty moderate despite the stronger aroma, the roast and hops play a prominent role. VS is a lot sweeter than than BU
M: BU is a little thinner with less carb. Neither is overly full feeling.
O: Both very good and somewhat different imperial stouts. I think BU would become a significant winner with some age to mellow it out a bit.

4.95/5  rDev +22.2%

I told myself I wouldn't review a beer until I tried one that I would give a 5, and I wouldn't give a 5 until I tried a beer I literally thought was perfect. I never thought either criterion would be fulfilled. It has.

Poured into a glass mug an almost black body with a deep mahogany head that lasted a while. It smelled a beautiful aroma of roasted malt with slight hints of chocolate and anise. The flavor was a deep bot not immediately noticeable sweetness, with deliciously heavy malt and, again, slight hints of chocolate and anise. The mouthfeel was a perfect consistency, thick but not cloying, with mild carbonation.

Overall, this is exactly what a stout should be. I can't even imagine a better stout. Despite a whopping 12.5% ABV, the alcohol is barely noticeable in comparison to a mind-blowingly awesome flavor. Anybody who gets a chance to try this should absolutely pick up a bottle.

4.06/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a tulip glass

A: A blackish brown with a tawny brown one finger head that stayed for a bit. Settled down to foamy bubbles. Thick lacing.

S: Oaky, charred, anise, leather, chocolate and malts.

T: A nice warming caramel sweetness. Robust, following the nose, with a light hop bite on the finish. As it warms, flavors begin to pop up. More charred oak, more chocolate and brown sugar. The 12.5% begins to make itself known. Sip slowly and enjoy.

M: Medium to heavy with a dry, medium carbonation.

O: Glad I got to try this mystical creature. Clown Shoes always seems to please. A seductive, "hook you with its horn" stout.

4.01/5  rDev -1%

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Color was a completely opaque, very dark brown/black color, with a thin light brown head. A bit of side cling with the head, but not much. Strong aroma, seemed to be slighty brown sugar sweet up front, maybe some caramel, with a bit of smoke in the back. Little bit of alcohol present as well. Tasted remarkably like it smelled, slghtly burnt brown sugar, with just a hint of fruit. A bit of bitter booze taste as well. A slighty funny feel in the mouth. Coated very well, but the tongue tingled as if there was a lot of carbonation which there wasn't. Slightly offputting. Overall a solid beer, perhaps aged a bit too long.

Bottled 10/11

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

22 oz.

Pours jet black with a light tan lacing for a head.

Smells of cocoa, brown sugar, oak, and dry piney hops.

Tastes of cocoa, coffee, walnut, brown sugar malts, and mild dry bitter hops.

Medium to full body with tingly carbonation on the tongue.

A very nice stout which is more hoppy than is usual for this style, but it works well. Flavors and aromas are good, goes down very easy. Worth seeking out.

4.19/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 55 degree refrigerated bottle into a Teku glass. As the pour flows, you notice this beer's viscosity is not as creamy as other RISs out there, the color however is pitch black and you couldn't get a ray of light through it if you shun the sun against it - beautiful. It forms a creamy, carbonated, mocha-colored head of about 1.5 inches that slowly dissipates leaving a persistent lace of alcohol and foam behind.

Predominant aroma is coffee and cacao nibs. You can also pick up a faint boozy aroma that (due to the strong coffee presence) reminds me of Kahlua. There is a certain spiciness on the tail end of is smell I can't quite place, but it reminds me of black/strong tea. Its taste closely resembles its aroma, very coffee forward, dark chocolate notes and a spiciness you expect in exotic southeast Asian teas. There is an espresso-like bitterness that follows every sip which carries the coffee and cacao flavors even further - I like it (not hoppy at all). Generally speaking in both flavor and taste - it reminds me significantly of Epic's Big Bad Baptist.

Mouthfeel wise I would love to have a creamier feel on this beer - it would do so much for its flavors. However, its not thin either, its somewhere in between. I like the level of carbonation that helps put its flavors forward and in general its drinkability is great.

Overall this is a pretty solid RIS offering that can easily compete with the big boys out there - I wish it had a creamier texture and that the coffee in both the aroma and taste was less pronounced but being a coffee lover it only takes a couple of sips to get used to and love this. I have not tried the other Clown Shoe IS offerings but have most of them in my cellar and am really excited to try them soon.

4.01/5  rDev -1%

Served into a large snifter at below cellar temp. Bottle date is 1/02/13 (I think); I bought it about two weeks ago from a place notorious for questionable storage practices, so we'll see...

Appearance: Nothing remarkable. Almost no head to speak of.

Smell: Very intriguing. A lot of spice notes—cinnamon and nutmeg—along with ample fruits: raisin, comice pear, maybe pink grapefruit. Much brighter than expected, with very little chocolate/coffee/dark fruit/roast character. As it warms, I get more vanilla in the nose.

Taste: My first reaction is that this tastes like an ABA—very hop-forward initial flavor. After that moves out of the way (and it takes a while), some chocolate, roast malts, and dried fig comes forward. As it warms, the first flavor gives way to something more like apple or pear. Not unenjoyable, but not what I typically associate with the style!

Feel: The mouthfeel actually suits the flavor profile quite nicely. It's surprisingly light and tingly for the style (still medium bodied overall). I'd honestly almost believe I was drinking some sort of sparkling white wine from a heavily toasted barrel, given the taste and feel.

Overall: This was miles away from what I was expecting. Maybe my bottle was stored poorly over the last 15 months, and therefore has morphed into a different beast, but I actually like this a lot!

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

As I pour a glass of Blaecorn Unidragon, I am not sure what to expect, except that it will very likely be tasty, as Clown Shoes is quite adept at crafting imperial stouts. It certainly looks properly dark, nearly like obsidian. I am seeing no signs of carbonation and just a little foam encircling the top of the brew.

The aroma is very fresh, almost flowery... with a hint of vanilla creme...however, there is a campfire-like aspect present as well. After a big sip washes over my palate, I find the flavor to be extremely malty, with sugary fruit esters at heart. But curiously, those flavors seem to be 'wrapped' in a blanket of pleasant smokiness and toasty/roasted grains.

It doesn't feel as heavy as one might think, I would put this at a 'medium.' Overall, the two dominant aspects to this beverage are balanced nicely. It's a little more sweet and malty than smoky, and that's the way it should be. An absolute pleasure for me to recommend to other RIS fans for sure!

4.11/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottled 7/8/13 and poured 3/31/14. A bit of age on this one, but not much. $11.99 bomber poured into all that was clean, a shaker pint (agh).

Appearance: Pitch black with the slightest bit of ruby on the edges. A surprising two finger, creamy tan head on it that stays around. That was unexpected to see from a 12.5% brew. There's even a wall of lacing for most of the glass! Looks phenomenal, especially given the ABV.

Smell: Smokey, roasty, chocolatey, and some caramel. Really nice smelling beer. The caramel sweetness knocks it up a bit because I didn't see it coming. Smokey character is also fairly significant. Very nice on the nose.

Taste/feel: Oh yeah, that's a big one. Blaecorn Unidragon has that sort of tangy yeast or whatever-the-hell-it-is thing to it and that's the first thing I notice. There's a medium/heavy feel with a fairly light carbonation. The flavor is a disappointment, at least when it's fresh out of the fridge, which strangely enough is normally where I prefer my RIS's temperature at. The taste on Blaecorn Unidragon is strangely light. You get the "big" feel of it with the alcohol warmth and the body and all of that, but the flavor -- at least when it's cold -- is just a deep roastiness with a slight smokiness on the finish. The bottle mentions "aggressive hops" and I suppose I get the slightest bit of earthy hops on the finish, as well as in the burps -- it gives it a black ale sort of vibe.

I think that the rating for this beer is about spot-on. Is it a good beer? Hell yeah, it's a good beer. $12 for a bomber good? No. I'd rather spend the extra $6 and get a legendary brew like Imperial Biscotti Break from Evil Twin, which is a mind blower. Blaecorn Unidragon is the very definition of a tasty, well-made, by-the-books sort of Russian Imperial Stout. I really do quite enjoy it, just not at its current price point, which I don't expect to change.

All-in-all, it's a tough call for this one. I can't recommend cellaring it just because it's already got a fairly mild flavor, but who knows, maybe it'd be a good idea (bottle recommends it). The nose on this brew had me very excited, but the flavor just left me a bit more than content. Roast, coffee, smoke, and a bit of earthy hoppiness. I like hoppiness in a black ale (strangely enough), but I never seem to love it in Imperial Stouts. I suppose I'd say... try this one for yourself and decide. It looks phenomenal, it smells fantastic, and has a great feel... but the taste has me wanting something more.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

It was a very good beer what can I say? The taste was good but not the best. There is a bit of an after taste that kinda bugs me a bit and when I drank it it was a bit foamy. It didn't take much for it to hit me which I like. It would take at least 9 beers for it to hit me halfway through this bottle. As you can see I'm not a beer master or anything but this beer was really good.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

the bottle is probably 8ish months old

A: poured into a snifter to be very black with a very viscous pour that requires a lot of vigor to get some dense tan head formation. the head fades quickly to a collar around the edge of the glass
S: smells of coffee, bitter chocolate, roasted malt and burnt sugar
T: tastes of coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, some charred wood, and a bit of residual sweetness. swallow brings more coffee and chocolate with a bit more charred wood and some burnt sugar
M: full in the mouth with a nice but not overly apparent carbonation. finish is a bit dry
O: Fantastic RIS. It hits all the right marks for the style and drinks like a 12.5% beer should. for a 12.5% beer the alcohol is very well hidden.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Blackish dark brown/tan with a foamy, thick 12 inch head, lots of sticky lacing.

Smell - Roasted malts, raisin, plum, fig, molasses, chocolate, cocoa, not really abundant aromas.

Taste - First sip starts out very roasted, smokey malts. Thick charcoal flavor with traces of raisin and plum with a minor cherry sweet flavor. Nice amount of bitter hops with bitter coffee comes in after the first wave of smoked malts. A little yeasty sweet note mixed with molasses adds a sweet note to a rather overly bitter beer. Alcohol adds a little warmth in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Roasted malts nail tongue. Coffee and chocolate coat the palate along with some hops and sugars. Aftertaste is malty, bitter, coffee and chocolate with a little alcohol.

Overall - A good solid and ris. Really surprised by the roasted smoked flavor, and also the amount of hops and bitter coffee flavor. The coffee/expresso bitter flavor left on the tongue is a odd flavor, and a turnoff to me honestly. Still, I can drink this and enjoy it but its not my favorite ris.

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle purchased from Wines and More in Mansfield, MA.

Pours a pretty dark black, with a one inch head mocha head, and really good sticky lacing on the glass.

Smells include heavy roasted malt, smoke, coffee, and chocolate.

Very roasty beer, for sure- this has a strong underlying bitterness throughout the whole bomber. The chocolate flavor is at times sweet, like cocoa powder, and at times pretty bitter, like dark chocolate. Some dark fruit flavors as well, plum mainly.

Creamy mouthfeel and fairly thick body, low carbonation. The alcohol is not all that present, but this is still a slow sipper due to how bitter the roast is here.

Another great Clown Shoes stout, I want more people to know how great they are.

3.93/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I've been sitting on this for two years. It's time. I needed a breakfast beer before the football games.

A. Very dark brown, not quite black. A minimal amber head retreated to a fine bubble rim. Fairly thin for a stout.

S. Mostly dark roasted malts and booze. Some domestic yeast. Smells sterile.

T. Many more layers of flavor compared to the nose. Moderately bitter. Hops are very apparent. Major notes of dark roasted malts, coffee and dark chocolate. Minor notes of dust, oatmeal, biscuits, and sunflower seeds. Booze is not as evident as the nose.

M. Not smooth. Moderate carbonation. Full body. Thin.

O. A very nice coffee/dark chocolate forward stout. This certainly has its place. Nicely crafted. I'm glad I was able to drink one with a little age. The upside is the carbonation level and coffee bitterness. The downside is the nose and standard appearance.

3.89/5  rDev -4%

Pours very dark. Pretty much black. Looks medium-bodied in the way that it poured. Crowns with a frosty tan head measured at a finger, or maybe more.

Blackened malts with a whiff of char and a heavy dose of unsweetened cocoa. Notes of espresso and earthy hops. Dried herbal-ness, spice, cream, and a quiet alcohol presence. Smells good.

Char notes and a lot of hops. They were serious when they noted that on the label. It's no Storm King, but it has a rough green hoppy tone. Mocha with a faintly smoky note. Rich dark malts, pushes past strong black ale into imperial stout. Milky body with some milky malt flavors. Perhaps thinner than I thought. Carbonation is medium. Alcohol is beautifully disguised with that great general sipping strength.

I liked Vampire Slayer better, but Blaecorn is a solid R.I.S. Recommended.

4.19/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Very dark with a creamy tan head.

S- Rich dark chocolate malt. Hop bitterness somewhere behind.

T- Wow. A powerful smokey dark malt flavor with loads of chocolate and coffee. Well balanced with a huge hop addition in the back. Just the right amount of heat lingers with a balanced powerful aftertaste. Not recommended for the faint of heart.

M- Creamy and smooth. Little too carbonated, but it doesn't take much away from this finely crafted brew.

O- Nicely done! Wonderful rendition of an imperial stout. This beer is bursting at the seams with an abundance of flavor. I will definitely seek this beer out.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Was able to get quite a deal for this usual places around here charge 13-15 dollars a bottle and it is now listed on halftime beverage for 12 bucks. This was purchased for $7.95 tax included!

A - Well it lives up to the Russian Imperial name. Big thick looking beer, deep black tone and a 1/4 inch of rich mocha head.
S - Very rich dark chocolate tones here. Some bittering coffee and roast notes. Very balanced with these smells I can't pick up any ethanol smells so its perfect.
T - Pretty much how I expected it's just a beefed up version of Vampire Slayer with more sweet chocolate. I was most impressed on how smooth it was maybe the bottle was 1+ year old but the hops were mellow. Picked up balanced burnt fudge, some smooth coffee, and some Hershey syrup in the finish.
M - Very smooth and velvety. I really liked how they hid the ABV. Even though smooth it was heavy with a syrup like body.

Overall an exceptional brew well worth the 10+ dollar price tag. I am just so glad I got to try it but I kind of wish it was a growler since I wanted a couple more pours after finishing the bomber. Tasty Stuff.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Consumed 12/26/13

Note: Bottled 11/2011 (aging=necessary)

Appearance: Dark, dark brown - borderline black at its core, medium brown around the edges - small, light brown head, fades to a few wisps of a cap, leaves a few spots of lacing

Smell: Big, rich malts - deep, rich chocolate, including dark chocolate, cocoa, baker's chocolate, and semisweet chocolate - brownies, chocolate cake, and a ton of fudge - some faded hops in the background, add just a touch of citrus and maybe some pine - burnt and roasty, with a hint of coffee and char, but this is mostly about the chocolate - some dark fruits and a touch of booze

Taste: Roasty, burnt, dark chocolate - as the aroma suggests, there are stupid levels of chocolate in this - dark chocolate, chocolate malts, cocoa, and semisweet chocolate - burnt, lightly charred fudge - roasty malts, with a touch of coffee - some remnants of citrusy and piney hops - big, cooked malts, with some caramel, molasses, and toffee - some dark fruits and a touch of black licorice - finishes with some alcohol

Mouthfeel: Nearly full body, definitely heavier than average, very smooth, nicely carbonated, finishes kind of oily with some booze

Overall: Aging this beer should be considered a requirement, not a suggestion

I've had this fresh a few times, and those experiences are why I stuck this in the back of a closet and forgot about it. Fresh, it's overly hoppy and overly sweet. It's kind of a hot mess, really. After two years, this beer has become not only something worth drinking, but something to buy again (and age again). This was an experiment with unexpectedly nice results.

Poured an opaque flat black. Two finger tan head of dense bubbles. Clingy lace left on my glass.

Smell was heavy on the roasted malt. Also detected earthy peat like notes.

Taste was dominated by roasted malt. I was pleasantly surprised that it was not cloyingly sweet based on the 12.5% abv. Dry dark baking coco notes. A slight milk chocolate sweetness, followed by a good amount of hop bitterness. Alcohol is very well hidden.

Definite feeling of oily hop resins in the mouthfeel. Full bodied, yet not overbearing. Warming on the way down.

Excellent Imp Stout. Not as complex as many offerings, but quite solid. Very impressed that it didn't go the over sweet route that many modern RIS's seem to go nowadays.

Blaecorn Unidragon from Clown Shoes