Blaecorn Unidragon - Clown Shoes

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.50% ABV

Beer added by: JamnesCameron on 09-25-2011

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

4.2/5  rDev +2.9%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 5/6/2013. Pours dense pitch black color with a 1 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, smoke, coffee, light char, toast, floral, grass, light pine, and roasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and compexity of dark/roasted malt notes with a fair amount of hop presence; and great strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, smoke, light char, toast, floral, light pine, and roasted earthiness. Fair amount of roasted/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, smoke, light char, toast, floral, light pine, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity and and balance of dark/roasted malt and moderate hop flavors; with a nice malt/hop balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and full bodied; with a very creamy, slick, and moderately chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an awesome Russian imperial stout. All around great complexity, balance, and robustness of dark/roasted malt and moderate hop flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Blaecorn Unidragon could only vaguely be described as 'dark' - in truth, there is no word to describe just how black this liquid is. Its complexion is opaque enough that even Superman couldn't see through. Its head - yes, healthy lather on a beer of double-digit strength! - has the colour and density of wet sand.

If I were blindfolded, made to smell the beer, and then asked where I was, I would answer 'baked into the inside of a chocolate cake'. Or maybe dunked into a cup of espresso. Either way, it's rich and 'dessert-y' enough that if Betty Crocker got even a whiff of it they'd pay millions for the recipe. It's hard to believe 'fudge' isn't listed on the ingredients list.

I feel insane to even suggest this 12.5% alcohol, thick-as-tar Russian Imperial Stout is refreshing, but I had to restrain myself from finishing the first glass in a matter of only a few big gulps - what can I say? I'm in the mood! I'm drinking this thing as if it were a pale lager. I opened the bottle looking for a nightcap to slowly savor but at this rate I'll need another one.

Seriously, this RIS has enough hoppiness not only to be thirst-quenching, but also to impress notes of tree bark and resin amidst such heavy, rich mocha flavouring. Naturally, it's the double chocolate brownies and coffee tastes that define the beer (and certainly the aftertaste). It's like a black forest cake, but is far richer than anything offered at your local supermarket.

For most people, paying $11 (or more) for a bottle of beer - even a bomber - is a hard purchase to justify; I could defend buying Blaecorn Unidragon at almost any price. This beer (a combo of 'Black Unicorn' and 'Soul Dragon') is a rare mythical creature indeed: rich and roasty, yet easily and endlessly drinkable. The label may look like Charlie Day's famous t-shirt but this is a beer to be taken very seriously.

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Blaecorn Unidragon last month for $11.49 at The Lager Mill. I think Clown Shoes is a pretty solid brewery and since I enjoyed Porcine Unidragon I thought I should try the non barrel aged version, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- Just like most Clown Shoes labels it looks pretty nice, it's got a nice dark look to it with a half dragon half unicorn beast in the middle, I like it and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had two fingers worth of mocha brown head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice and sticky sheets of lacing behind. This is a great looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that had a molasses like aroma to it followed by by a good amount of bright and sweet dark fruit aromas with no single fruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a noticeable leather like aroma followed by an equally noticeable smokey and alcohol like aromas. Up next comes the roasted malts which impart a roasted and charred like aroma with some chocolate and coffee aromas coming through with a cocoa like aroma sticking out the most. The aroma was pretty good, but I felt like the smoke covered up some of those rich roasty aromas, i think this might be just as smokey as Porcine Unidragon..

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness that still has that molasses like aspect to it followed by a quick taste of dark fruits that quickly make way for loads of malts that impart a roasted, charred, sweet malt, and coffee like flavors with a light bit of chocolate showing up in the background. Up next comes some leather and smokey flavors followed by a noticeable alcohol flavor that is fairly warming. On the finish there's some herbal and earthy hops with a somewhat lower amount of medium bitterness with a roasted, charred, and smokey aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the taste seemed to have more balance then the aroma and while the alcohol was noticeable I thought it wasn't too bad for 12.5%.

M- Not the smoothest, but fairly easy to drink for how strong it is, a little sticky, rich, creamy, full bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of the style, while the roasted aspects weren't as deep and roasty as some other beers in the style, it still had some nice complexity and I thought it was fairly unique. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth for what it was, a little warming, filling, rich, and the tastedid a nice job at holding my attention, but I think one glass is the perfect amount for me, I'm pretty sure I could take out the full bomber, but I might regret that decision later. It made for a good beer to have on a cold night. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and complexity, I thought those two aspects stood out as being pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was the heavy smokey aspect, if it was toned down a little it would let more of roasted notes through. I don't know if I would get this beer again, but I might get one for aging to see how it changes overtime. I would recommend this to anyone who likes strong and smokey stouts. All in all I enjoyed this beer, I thought this was just as smokey as Porcine, maybe even a little more and I thought the barrel aspect worked very well with Porcine so I prefer Porcine Unidragon, but I thought this was still a good beer and a nice platform to build on, but I wasn't expecting it to be as smokey as it it was. Good job guys, keep up the solid work.

4.39/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This one's been sitting around for a bit and figured it was time to give it a shot. Always look forward to a new Clown Shoes brew. Pours pitch black with a slight, dark tan head. Smells of burnt wood, caramel, black licorice and dark chocolate. Creamy as fuck with milk chocolate and earthy hops. Medium bodied and heats up the gullet just fine. Brilliant start to my Imperial Stout season.

4.04/5  rDev -1%

Note: Bottled Jan 2012

A: Pours a clear but opaque jet black in color with light amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the surface of the beer and a faint amount of dark cola brown highlights. The beer has a finger tall dense foamy mocha colored head that slowly reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface of the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of roasted, slightly burnt, and ashy malts with a light hint of anise/licorice.

T: Upfront there are moderate to strong flavors of dark roasted malts and slightly burnt malts with light amounts of ash. There is a light note of anise/licorice and a touch of dark fruit sweetness. Moderate amounts of bitterness in the finish that lingers for quite a while.

M: Full bodied with light to moderate amounts of carbonation. Really coats the inside of your mouth and tongue while still having a light to moderate amount of dryness in the finish.

O: This is a big and strong beer but it is still pretty easy to enjoy - the alcohol is fairly well hidden but this is definitely a sipping beer. Hope that grabbing a Massachusetts brew will help out my New England Patriots beat Carolina here on Monday night :)

Blaecorn Unidragon from Clown Shoes