Vampire Slayer - Clown Shoes

Vampire SlayerVampire Slayer

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

In a world full of uncertainty, hardship, and people trying to hold us back, do we need Vampires, too? Clown Shoes says, “No! Die, monsters, die!”

Our second anniversary ale incorporates signature dark malts, holy water, and malt smoked locally with hickory, ash, and vampire killing stakes.

(Beer added by: Gushue3 on 12-31-2011)
4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A-Black in the glass, one finger brown head that tries to leave some lacing.

S-Mainly roasted and burnt malt. Not much chocolate or coffee.

T-Lots of roasted and burnt malt. Mild dark chocolate. Some dark fruits?

M-Medium bodied, velvety, some carbonation.

O-Age seems like it did not do this beer any good, mainly malt flavors, little to no chocolate or coffee.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

3.71/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours jet black without much head. While it is around it is a mocha colored head with a slightly creamy appearance and texture.

Smells mostly of bitter dark chocolate and anise. Roasty malt begins to take over. Being from Memphis where the smell of Hickory smoked BBQ permeates the air I can actually pull out hickory smoke from the distinct woody smells that come from the nose as the beer warms. I usually don't like smoked beers too much, but I really don't mind this, it is very subtle and takes more of a backseat to bitter chocolate.

Taste is roasted, bitter chocolate. Wood notes and a definite rauch-esque quality are present. I honestly don't perceive too much depth to this beer and I am a little disappointed. Looked forward to trying this, and at least I am getting my allotment of Holy Water for a little while. Maybe this will stave off the Flu...

Mouthfeel is rich and slightly creamy. Pretty standard for the style.

Overall the disappointment doesn't take away from the fact that this is a good beer. The smoked malts don't overwhelm this beer in the least. In fact if I looked at this as a smoked beer instead of as a stout it would recieve high marks from me in that category. As a stout though I would reach for something else next time.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.52/5  rDev +10%

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

22oz. bomber received via a trade with ShroudOfDoom. No obvious freshness date to be found, but an Impy Stout that’s 10% ought to have some legs on it, so I’m not worried.

Poured a viscousy dark brown, nearly black, with a big, creamy mocha colored head. Said head took it’s sweet time dropping and left lots of lace on the sides of my glass.

Initially the aroma was of molasses and brown sugar, but as it warmed some dark fruits, booze and tobacco came out to play. Some sharp hops were in the background as well.

Whoa! Classic taste for the style, starting out sweet with notes of brown sugar and dark chocolate. These are quickly thrown against a fig-like dark fruit flavor, followed hard upon by a warming booziness. Way in the background is a flavor not unlike pipe tobacco, and the whole thing ends on a dry zap to the palate.

Well-carbonated for the style, with a thick, velvety mouthfeel that makes it seem like a dessert as much as a beer.

A nice, big old-fashioned Imperial Stout, what I used to think was the best kind of beer. I’m a lot more well-rounded now, but I still greatly dig a beer like this. The only flaw I can think of is that I think it could hve used a tad bit more bitterness, like maybe some coffee notes , but it's still extremely tasty. Reccomended, and I’m a little bummed that it’s retired (though it wouldn’t be available where I live anyway). Thanks again, Nathan!

Vampire Slayer from Clown Shoes