Vampire Slayer - Clown Shoes

Vampire SlayerVampire Slayer

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

In a world full of uncertainty, hardship, and people trying to hold us back, do we need Vampires, too? Clown Shoes says, “No! Die, monsters, die!”

Our second anniversary ale incorporates signature dark malts, holy water, and malt smoked locally with hickory, ash, and vampire killing stakes.

(Beer added by: Gushue3 on 12-31-2011)
View: Beers (25) |  Events

BigBlueShep

01-21-2014 19:17:57 | More by BigBlueShep
TruePerception

3.79/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clown Shoes' Vampire Slayer, Imperial American Stout. 10% ABV.

A: Black with tan head. Root beer brown in the bottom. Just the slightest lacing and sheeting.

S: Cocoa. Sweet toffee. Some woody notes. Slight cigar, maybe. Very faint licorice.

T/MF: A lot of bitter cocoa/bittersweet chocolate. Light licorice. Slight sweet creamer.

Fairly good. I could see this being quite good with bourbon barrel aging. I must admit, hype had me expecting more, but I'm still glad to have tried this. ...Especially before the name and label change!

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle, into a Petrus chalice

01-18-2014 16:02:36 | More by DerrickW
ryan1788a5

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into a New Belgium globe. Bottle 12/2011, so this is just over two years old.

A: Yep, it's black. Tan head retains well at a finger in height. Spotty lacing.

S: Thick fudge sauce, blackstrap molasses, bitter dark chocolate. Tight berry fruits. Blanket of ash and woody smoke.

T: Bakers chocolate quickly transitions to a rolling tide of bitter dark chocolate and burnt black coffee. Dark chocolate cake. Tight black raspberry ester. Layers of smoke. Ashy. A little nutty with a distinct roasted coffee bean flavor toward the back end. More smoke and bitter dark chocolate on a long-lingering finish.

M: Big in body. Creamy and airy in texture. Moderate supporting carbonation gently pricks about the tongue. Roasty astringency barely creeps in. Mild warmth. Very smooth and pleasing.

O: Even with a good dose of smoked malts, this beer is seamlessly smooth and pleasantly drinkable. Time was very kind to it as well. One of Clown Shoe's better offerings.

01-17-2014 02:49:46 | More by ryan1788a5

rwilde

01-11-2014 23:50:32 | More by rwilde
StoutHunter

4.23/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer a couple weeks ago for $9.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm a fan of Smoked Stouts and I thought I should give Clown Shoes second anniversary ale a try, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter,

A- The label looks ok, but it's a little dark so you can't see it that well and It's not the most eye catching label, but the name is pretty attention grabbing. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a finger and half worth of creamy light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patching rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some smoke being the first to show up and it imparts a medium smokey aroma that shows up just enough and it's not overpowering and there's also a somewhat light black licorice like aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart some nice roasted malts, charred malts and light coffee aromas with some pretty nice chocolate aromas coming through that seem to stick out the most and they blend well with the smoke. Towards the end there's a sweet fruity aroma with a light amount of dark fruits coming through and there's a light amount of alcohol showing up in the background. This beer had a very nice aroma that was a little complex and it had just enough smokey aromas.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those nice roasty and charred aspects that I got in the aroma with the chocolate and roasted/charred malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a very light dark fruit flavor and very light black licorice flavor with some noticeable alcohol showing up in the background and it's a little warming, but not too harsh. On the finish comes the smoke which imparts a medium smokey flavor that isn't too harsh and is just at the right level with a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness and a very roasty/charred and medium smokey aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, I thought the smoke showed up just enough and it paired nicely with the stout base.

M- Fairly smooth, rich, a little sticky, a little creamy, full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, but I thought the carbonation could be toned down just a little.

Overall I thought this was a really nice beer and a really nice example of a Smoked Stout, the smoked aspect and the Stout aspect were balance very nicely and neither one was too overpowering and I think that gave this beer the pretty much perfect amount of balance that a Smoked Stout should have. This beer had good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, the alcohol was hidden well for the most part and was a little warming, it was rich, pretty filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, If I really wanted to I think I could take out the bomber by myself, but I think this is a good beer for splitting with someone and I think one glass is close to the right amount for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance, to me that was the highlight of this beer and it was just where I would want it to be. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but I wish it had just a little less carbonation. I would buy this beer again if I saw another bottle and I would like to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this beer to people who like Smoked Stouts and I think it's balanced enough that most Stout lovers would like it to. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I heard it was pretty good and usually brewers bring out some pretty good beers for anniversary's, but I was still impressed with how good this beer is and it pretty much has everything that I look for in a Smoked Stout. Great job guys, this was very enjoyable beer and I liked that you released a style that I think doesn't get enough credit, thanks a lot and keep up the great work. Now I'm really kicking myself for not buying the barrel aged version when I had the chance, I won't make that mistake again.

01-11-2014 04:41:49 | More by StoutHunter

TheosTheories

01-08-2014 00:21:45 | More by TheosTheories
Joshpu

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from the bomber to a snifter.

A: Poured black with a tiny tan head.

S: Black licorice, dark fruit, roasted/smoked malts.

T: The taste is similar to the smell except that the smokiness is more prominent on the taste. Black licorice, dark fruit, roasted/smoked malts. Some caramel sweetness with a somewhat bitter finish.

M: Medium to full bodied. Lighter carbonation. Sticky mouth feel. Overall the alcohol is hidden well.

Overall a solid stout. I definitely like the balance of the smokiness though, as many smoky beers can be overwhelming.

01-07-2014 08:54:19 | More by Joshpu