Vampire Slayer - Clown Shoes

Vampire SlayerVampire Slayer

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

In a world full of uncertainty, hardship, and people trying to hold us back, do we need Vampires, too? Clown Shoes says, “No! Die, monsters, die!”

Our second anniversary ale incorporates signature dark malts, holy water, and malt smoked locally with hickory, ash, and vampire killing stakes.

(Beer added by: Gushue3 on 12-31-2011)

sansho, Jan 12, 2014

rwilde, Jan 11, 2014
4.23/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Vampire Slayer a couple weeks ago for $9.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm a fan of Smoked Stouts and I thought I should give Clown Shoes second anniversary ale a try, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter,

A- The label looks ok, but it's a little dark so you can't see it that well and It's not the most eye catching label, but the name is pretty attention grabbing. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a finger and half worth of creamy light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patching rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by some smoke being the first to show up and it imparts a medium smokey aroma that shows up just enough and it's not overpowering and there's also a somewhat light black licorice like aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart some nice roasted malts, charred malts and light coffee aromas with some pretty nice chocolate aromas coming through that seem to stick out the most and they blend well with the smoke. Towards the end there's a sweet fruity aroma with a light amount of dark fruits coming through and there's a light amount of alcohol showing up in the background. This beer had a very nice aroma that was a little complex and it had just enough smokey aromas.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all those nice roasty and charred aspects that I got in the aroma with the chocolate and roasted/charred malts seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a very light dark fruit flavor and very light black licorice flavor with some noticeable alcohol showing up in the background and it's a little warming, but not too harsh. On the finish comes the smoke which imparts a medium smokey flavor that isn't too harsh and is just at the right level with a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness and a very roasty/charred and medium smokey aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, I thought the smoke showed up just enough and it paired nicely with the stout base.

M- Fairly smooth, rich, a little sticky, a little creamy, full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good, but I thought the carbonation could be toned down just a little.

Overall I thought this was a really nice beer and a really nice example of a Smoked Stout, the smoked aspect and the Stout aspect were balance very nicely and neither one was too overpowering and I think that gave this beer the pretty much perfect amount of balance that a Smoked Stout should have. This beer had good drinkability, it was fairly smooth, the alcohol was hidden well for the most part and was a little warming, it was rich, pretty filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, If I really wanted to I think I could take out the bomber by myself, but I think this is a good beer for splitting with someone and I think one glass is close to the right amount for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the balance, to me that was the highlight of this beer and it was just where I would want it to be. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad at all, but I wish it had just a little less carbonation. I would buy this beer again if I saw another bottle and I would like to see how it changes over time. I would recommend this beer to people who like Smoked Stouts and I think it's balanced enough that most Stout lovers would like it to. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I heard it was pretty good and usually brewers bring out some pretty good beers for anniversary's, but I was still impressed with how good this beer is and it pretty much has everything that I look for in a Smoked Stout. Great job guys, this was very enjoyable beer and I liked that you released a style that I think doesn't get enough credit, thanks a lot and keep up the great work. Now I'm really kicking myself for not buying the barrel aged version when I had the chance, I won't make that mistake again.

StoutHunter, Jan 11, 2014

MykeJ, Jan 11, 2014

lockewoodfin, Jan 11, 2014

jaltland, Jan 11, 2014

TheosTheories, Jan 08, 2014
3.96/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from the bomber to a snifter.

A: Poured black with a tiny tan head.

S: Black licorice, dark fruit, roasted/smoked malts.

T: The taste is similar to the smell except that the smokiness is more prominent on the taste. Black licorice, dark fruit, roasted/smoked malts. Some caramel sweetness with a somewhat bitter finish.

M: Medium to full bodied. Lighter carbonation. Sticky mouth feel. Overall the alcohol is hidden well.

Overall a solid stout. I definitely like the balance of the smokiness though, as many smoky beers can be overwhelming.

Joshpu, Jan 07, 2014

GMUPatriot_inKansas, Jan 04, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

msturek, Jan 02, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours the color of a vampire's soul, dark as night. The head, the color of hot chocolate foam, is full, fluffy and recedes slowly while leaving behind some magnificent lacing.
Smell is malt, smoke, dark chocolate, and whiskey. Very well balanced.
Taste is AMAZING! Smoky, roasted malts, faint hops, dark chocolate, light whiskey notes. Extremely well balanced and blended flavors with just the faintest hint of ashyness in the aftertaste to tarnish it.
Smooth as Lou Rawls' voice and rich with just a hint of drying in the finish. Full bodied with a commendably light carbonation. A serious sipping beer, deserving of at least 30 minutes to warm and come into its own full bloom. Get one, or three, and enjoy.

PorterLambic, Jan 02, 2014