Chocolate Sombrero - Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: rab53 on 02-26-2012

Roasted dark malts plus extra chocolate malts plus ancho chile plus cinnamon plus organic vanilla extract plus a chocolate eating, beer drinking, Clown Shoes wearing, multi limbed, gorgeous and glorious Mexican wrestler on the label. That’s the recipe for a Chocolate Sombrero!
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,314 | Reviews: 245

1.5/5  rDev -61.3%

2.25/5  rDev -42%

2.25/5  rDev -42%

2.46/5  rDev -36.6%

Had at a chili beer tasting including Mexican Cake, Hunahpu's, Theobroma, Cocoa Mole, and Ghost Face Killah.

This pours deep brown with a little head. On the nose there is a foul mixture of hot chilis and roasted malt and chocolate. The best way I can think to describe it is as chili powder and chocolate powder. It just feels false. In the mouth the initial hit is very hot from the chili, with some chocolate and roast coming out after the attack, before settling into a long, hot and not altogether unpleasant finish. The body is medium.

Overall, I didn't care for this beer, and moreover, I found the quality to be lacking. I wasn't a fan of either of the three chili stouts at the tasting, but with the other two at least it seemed like the flavors just didn't sit well for me, whereas I can't picture people actually liking this one.

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

22oz bottle purchased at Hop City in Atlanta. Split with my buddy, Brad.

A - Pours a thick, dark black/brown. Nice mocha head with decent lacing.
S - Semi-sweet chocolate and some more chocolate. A bit one-dimensional.
T - Even more one-dimensional than the nose. Chocolate dominates, followed by a burnt bitterness. I don't get any vanilla, chilies or cinnamon. Tastes like an imperial stout with Swiss Miss thrown in.
M - Medium to full body. Decent carbonation.
O - Disappointed. I was really hoping to get some complexities from the vanilla and cinnamon, and some heat from the chilies, but if those hadn't been in the description on the bottle I would never have known they were in there. Neither of us were impressed, and we did not finish the bottle between us.

2.69/5  rDev -30.7%

Appearance: Black body with a light khaki head that fades fairly quickly. Decent lacing.

Aroma: Not much aroma. There's a light scent of chocolate milk but that's it.

Taste: Light roasted caramel flavor along with some hints of toast. Pretty average for a stout. I don't really get any chocolate flavor which is odd given the "chocolate sombrero" name. No alcohol flavor which is a plus for a 9% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel: It's on the heavy side of a medium mouthfeel. Feels average.

Overall: It is an average stout, but below average for a chocolate stout. If you're looking for a chocolate stout I would give this one a pass. If you're looking for a higher ABV stout I would say flip a coin.

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

Black body with mocha head. Smells like a stout with a hint of spice.

I'm missing out on the chile flavor. There is clearly cocoa and chocolate notes, with a semi-dry bitter finish. There seems to be too much roasted flavor, which is overriding, perhaps, some of the other components. Cinnamon is barely detectable in the dry down.

I wanted to enjoy this more, but I'm afraid the advertised spices and flavors are not pulling through enough for me. Not horrible per se, but it is definitely not a repeat purchase for me.

2.78/5  rDev -28.4%

Melbourne Bros. Stemmed Tulip
Tasted side by side with Cocoa Mole

A ~ Pours Black-Brown with a cocoa powder head with a thin layer of creamy white on top.

S ~ Milk chocolate, Chocolate candle, Vanilla extract, coconut oil, cinnamon. Not much pepper aroma.

T ~ Chocolate follows through with mild cinnamon. Chocolate & Brown Malts. Heavy cloy of vanilla extract that I absolutely hate. Ancho provides only mild spice on the finish. Vanilla just shouldn't be in the mix here. It makes the beer sing the same note every sip.

M ~ Chocolate malts are way too prevalent. I expected a bit of Dark Roasted Malt to balance things out, but it doesn't shine. Vanilla cloys, Cinnamon is awkward, & I have to dig for Ancho (one of my favorite peppers.)

D ~ One & Done. Wouldn't get again. Too broad of flavors. No focus. If they would've omitted the Vanilla & added more Roasted Malts than they would've gotten somewhere with this one. Not recommended. If you're looking for a Mexican Chocolate beer, then try Cocoa Mole.

2.79/5  rDev -28.1%

I heard about this beer today and saw it was getting talked up. I went out and bought a bottle, now I regret it.

A-thin bodied. Very black from far but upon further inspection it is more of a dark brown. Thick two finger head that just won't leave.

S-Smells like burnt barbecue turkey? Cheap cinnamon and mexican hooker. I have no idea what the hell this should smell like but this can't be right.

T-I get a little pepper and some smokey roast notes. I can almost taste burnt cinnamon and maybe some vanilla blanketed by a hint of clove. Dead leaf aftertaste.

M-Really not a pleasant beer to drink. I just want the taste to leave but it goes down relatively smooth.

O-I've had worse but this is probably the least impressive beer I have had in a while. I feel like it tries to be many different styles of stout at once but ultimately is just weird and not that good.

2.91/5  rDev -25%

22 ounce bottle
Served into a tulip pint

A: Deep dark brown/black looking body with a bubbly and sudsy tan head atop. Sticky lacing and a nice retention cap are left behind giving it an overall good looking appearance.

S: Bitter dark chocolate, cocoa powder, roasted coffee, chocolate/dark malts and perhaps even a slight vegetal element. Pretty strange although it's a very generic smelling "chocolate" stout.

T: Good amounts of artificial chocolate up-front and as it turns out the focus of this beer. Chiles, cinnamon, vanilla extract? No, I don't really get any at all. There's plenty of heat but it's from the alcohol notes; creeping down the throat to the chest. Something about this tastes very "amateur" - perhaps not as refined or polished as I expected it to be.

M: Way too thin for an "Imperial Stout." Also, no real body here expect some fizziness on the palate. Oh well.

Well, Clown Shoes got me to at least buy this beer. The label was cool, it sounded really delicious and tasted nothing more than a mediocre stout with chocolate and plenty of booze.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Chocolate Sombrero from Clown Shoes