Microbrew Invitational

Chocolate SombreroChocolate Sombrero

Clown Shoes
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Roasted dark malts plus extra chocolate malts plus ancho chile plus cinnamon plus organic vanilla extract plus a chocolate eating, beer drinking, Clown Shoes wearing, multi limbed, gorgeous and glorious Mexican wrestler on the label. That’s the recipe for a Chocolate Sombrero!

Added by rab53 on 02-26-2012

Reviews: 304 | Ratings: 1,695
3.89/5  rDev 0%

A- Lots of tan around the edge of this beer. I'd say more porter or brown ale SRM.
S- Alcohol, sweet dark fruits, some spiciness, vanilla, hazelnut, and toffee. No chocolate, no roast, yet herbal, spicy and etc.
T- I love the complexity. Welcome to the fun of tasting weird beers. What does this have in it again?
M- Medium.
O- Tasty. Perfect for the winter. A very dark, pleasant, and complex beer to drink. Worth it if you want a brown ale made RIS.

Bottled 05/16/13

Aged 7.5 months.

3.66/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

$8 bomber (on sale from $10) poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Haven't been let down by Clown Shoes yet, so I'm looking forward to this.

Appearance: Pours a ruby black with excellent clarity on it. Fantastic two/three finger brown head as well. Excellent lacing. Good start so far.

Smell: Hm. Somewhat subtle, and quite "safe." A lot of roastiness with a trace of the cinnamon this is brewed with. There's a slight bit of chocolate in the nose as well, but not as big as I was hoping. As it warms, a little alcohol and more sweetness pokes through, but it still smells about the same overall.

Taste: Hit's the tongue with a heavy mouthfeel and a vague chocolate/vanilla sweetness. After a moment, the flavor suddenly bursts a little bit adding the roast and cinnamon near the finish. Like the smell, a bit light for some reason. Keeps making me think I have a stuffy nose or something, but I don't. Aftertaste has that classic Imperial Stout essence of alcohol and slight warmth. I don't many of those traditional Imperial Stout "dark fruit" sort of flavors here... a little as it warms up, but it's not prominent. The alcohol is well hidden, as I don't really get it in the aroma or taste until it warms up considerably. As it warms up a lot (after about 45 minutes), a pretty big smokey/petey aftertaste makes its presence known, which I welcome.

Hm. Disappointed.. I'm glad I got this beer for a couple bucks off. It looked fantastic on the pour, but that's the best that it got. I was expecting a chocolatey Imperial Stout with a nice spicy finish (from the cinnamon and/or chilis). Instead, I got what I feel is a relatively mild, and frankly ordinary, Imperial Stout that just had me wanting more... I may be rating this beer lower than I actually should, just because of that disappointment.

TL;DR: A very enjoyable Imperial Stout that hides its alcohol well and presents a nice flavor, but the description of the beer had me expecting something completely different.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Chocolate Sombrero looks like melted milk chocolate alright but as for the "sombrero" part, this head is less a wide-brimmed hat than it is a visor. Negligible though it appears, however, it nonetheless tacks on traces of dark brown foam along the trim of the beer and the glass.

Bourbon vanilla and dark chocolate shavings are noted in the aroma; it smells like something to be drizzled over ice cream. It's fairly rich and smells like a syrupy chocolate concentrate. It wasn't aged in oak but people could be fooled into thinking it was (it's all in the vanilla).

I anticipated cries of "¡Ándale! ¡Ándale! ¡Arriba! ¡Arriba! ¡Epa! ¡Epa! Yeehaw!" but this cinnamon, vanilla and ancho chile infused stout doesn't taste like any of those things. Instead, the palate has a milky lactose sweetness, chocolate flavour and hints of coffee roast; nothing out of the ordinary for the style. No spice, no heat - all in all, surprisingly (disappointingly) mild.

On the plus side, little of the 10% alcohol is perceived; on the down side, again, little of the cinnamon or chiles are perceived either. The beer has no spice of any kind. It actually has a milkshake-like mouthfeel that is creamy and filling; it's unexpectedly approachable for a spiced double-digit strength stout. Dare I say it 'goes down easy' - not what I was looking for at all.

Chocolate Sombrero is more interesting on paper than it is in the glass, but I don't mean to rein on it too much - it's a nice stout in its own right. I, personally, wish the spices were a little more forward - I bought it for that reason - but their subtlety plays more into mainstream palates. This may be the first (only?) chili-infused Imperial Stout to be agreeable to just about anyone.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into a Stone IRS snifter. The pour is fairly dark (nearly black), not very viscous, and with about a finger of khaki head that dies down quickly. The nose has some of the vanilla and cinnamon and a few roasty notes, but none of the chile. It's rather subdued and not as assertive as I hoped it would be

The body on this one is just a little thin, but the flavor is really nice. I get some sweet, chocolatey, malty notes up front accentuated by the vanilla and just a whisper of cinnamon. Roastiness comes in at mid-palate and the peppers are just barely evident in the back of the mouth. There's no trace of alcohol on this one. Very drinkable and tasty.

This is the first time I've had one of these mole-inspired ``Mexican Stouts'' and the flavor is really nice. I've had (and enjoyed) Chocolate Oak-Aged Yeti, but the little hints of vanilla and cinnamon enhance the flavor really nicely. I'd like for this flavor combination to catch on and for more brewers to experiment with this style. It offers a new kind of complexity that I'd definitely like to explore more of.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured a blackish body with one finger tan head that left some lacing on top of a mostly roasted and chocolately, plus a little vanilla, aroma and hints of said chili notes. Smooth, dry, slightly chewey, the chilis don't do much as this beer isn't really heated or anything. Just easy going with good roasted and chocolately tastes notes (little bit of vanilla sweetness). Simple beer but realy enjoyable.

4.17/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

a: dark black with some hints of purple and ruby red. 1-2 finger tan flat head that fades somewhat quickly.

s: smells nice. milk chocolate, roasted malt, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, black licorice, vanilla, oak, and a hint of dark fruit

t: much sweeter than the nose indicated. sweet malts and bittersweet chocolate right away. then the bitterness from the chocolate/toasted malt hits and immediately gives way back to sweet malt and a hint of dark fruit (figs and plum). finally, we do encounter some of that spice. its not overwhelming, but blends really nicely with the sweet and bitter flavors that come before. its something almost like a chili pepper spice combined with ground cinnamon

m: medium. silky and creamy - not much carbonation

o: quite good. i really like the mixture and balance of the sweet, bitter, and spicy in here. all the flavors play well off each other, and the spice doesn't ruin any of the other stout flavors - rather it enhances the experience.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from "bomber" bottle into a balloon glass.
Dense, opaque black in color, with a nice head of tan foam.
Aroma-Chocolate, dark malt.
Taste-Dark roasted malt,chocolate, cinnamon, very subtle ancho chile. Very smooth for the high ABV. Flavor left me wanting more ancho chilies in the mix. Double the dose would bring more more flavor and a little more heat without overpowering the balance, in my opinion.Still, a fine brew.

Can Chocolate Sombrero kick it? Yes he can!

Straight up, Raul was feeling this one right well. Like the Chupacabra with diabetes, this lil sucker was hitting it on all levels. Beautiful nose like Selina Gomez post wiener boy; lovely taste and mouthfeel like Penelope Cruz when she isn't with Tom... I was feeling this one well hard.

It's not the best tasting, it doesn't have the richness and heavenly-like textures that the big daddy stouts have, but..smooth, just tasty and smooth, my children.

Yep!

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

Color is as you'd expect, dark brown with maybe a hint of ruby around the edges. Aroma is chocolate, vanilla, and a hint of chile. Light and smooth mouthfeel. Chocolate really comes through, followed by vanilla. There is a hint of heat, but not much. Bit of char in there, too.

I like this quite a bit. Nice texture, good flavor, good balance. Wouldn't mind a bit more chile heat. Not a trace of heat from the 9% ABV!

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

So much potential here but the execution falls a little flat.

Pours appealing black. Not extremely thick. Not much lacing to speak of.

Aroma of chocolate malt. Almost no ancho and slight cinnamon.

Taste is chocolate and roast. Almost a licorice note in there. Again ancho and cinnamon are barely present.

Lower carb. Medium mouthfeel.

2.79/5  rDev -28.3%

I heard about this beer today and saw it was getting talked up. I went out and bought a bottle, now I regret it.

A-thin bodied. Very black from far but upon further inspection it is more of a dark brown. Thick two finger head that just won't leave.

S-Smells like burnt barbecue turkey? Cheap cinnamon and mexican hooker. I have no idea what the hell this should smell like but this can't be right.

T-I get a little pepper and some smokey roast notes. I can almost taste burnt cinnamon and maybe some vanilla blanketed by a hint of clove. Dead leaf aftertaste.

M-Really not a pleasant beer to drink. I just want the taste to leave but it goes down relatively smooth.

O-I've had worse but this is probably the least impressive beer I have had in a while. I feel like it tries to be many different styles of stout at once but ultimately is just weird and not that good.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottled on 7/8/13. 22oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours black with brown hues; fluffy tan head that fades slowly and leaves nice lacing and retention. The aromas are full of milk chocolate. Lots of cocoa malts. There's some hints of sweet vanilla. I'm not really picking up much cinnamon or peppers in the aromas. It still smells nice though. The flavors are loaded with chocolate. More vanilla. I'm really not picking up the cinnamon or any spices in the flavors either. Not much of a chili pepper presence. There are hints of black pepper and it finishes with an extremely subtle spicy finish. Mouthfeel is nice. It's full-bodied and creamy with lower carbonation. It drinks smooth and the alcohol goes unnoticed.

This is a nice stout, but I would've liked to pick up more cinnamon and chili peppers. They deliver on the chocolate though. It's ultimately enjoyable. Good stuff.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Third beer from Clown Shoes, and they have all been stouts and they have all been great! They truly are masters of the style. Another solid one here, but not as far off the beaten path as I was expecting. It is a solid stout but I had a hard time pulling out the ancho chiles and cinnamon that they were claiming on the label. There is lots of vanilla and chocolate and the right amount of sweetness. Body is good, color is good. All around terrific, just wish it had more robust spice.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Midnight oil is burning as we speak, I'm working hard on drinking this high quality Mexican American hybrid, it's a beautiful beer that more folks need to get to know! An intimate combination of black patent, chocolate malts with mole' esque experience serving the vanilla/cinnamon/ancho chile experience in a glass. This beer is new to Ohio and Pittsburgh markets, I'm blessed to have options of good beer. These Clown Shoes folks are dark beer specialists, thus far if it's dark and it's from Ipswich, MA the beer can do no wrong for me. Dark bountiful body with a tan head forming froth fully above the rim of my chalice, leaving behind layered intricate lacing patterns. Aromatics offer up dark chocolate notes, hints of vanilla and smoked chiles, cinnamon spice combo that works so well together. Flavors bring the dark chocolate and adjuncts together to form somewhat of a liquid mole' suauce, I'm in love. Mouthfeel is amazing silky smooth even flowing carbonation big medium to full bodied perfect finish. Overall buy this beer and share it with good beer drinking friends and admire the beauty!!!

4.12/5  rDev +5.9%

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Dark black with tan tint, 1/2 creamy head with plenty of sticky lacing.

Smell - Wow, very strong aroma, Malts, pepper, chocolate, some added brown sugar, caramel, toffee, cinnamon, a little milk/lactose near the finish. Smells real good.

Taste - Starts out much like a milk stout, maybe a milk stout on steroids, sweet chocolate, spices and roasty malts. Some minor bitter fruits are mixed in along with some brown sugar and cinnamon. The pepper notes come in at the finish and add a little warmth.

Mouthfeel - Malts, and chocolate really coat the tongue at first sip. Some bitter fruits and a little coffee gets the palate. Peppers come in at the finish for a little heat. The aftertaste is warm, malty and a little bitter.

Overall - This is pretty good, a nice spin on a stout for sure. Its actually balanced well, not too malty, not too sweet or too hot. Might be my favorite clown shoes so far. Very easy to drink, drinks closer to a American stout then a ris. Good stuff, worth a drink.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My last beer run has provided me one pretty good beer and a couple a HUGE disappointments but given I've got a chocolate stout to wrap things up for the weekend, I think I'm in good hands.

A firm pour provides a white cream foam cap over a dark and rich looking body. Think mid level darkness and density for the style.

Another pour to bring out the aromas and I'm getting plenty of chocolate, a touch of cinnamon, lactose, and some light coffee grinds.

Chili in beer is almost always game over for me, but here they seem to have found a way of keeping it out tame enough to just add a bit of "what's that" vs. "oh hell not chili". The beer brings out so much chocolate, dark roast, light coffee, and then the entire malt back is mixed with cinnamon at a level that once again doesn't over power, it just sits perfectly with the malt. The end result of all these spices and flavors being mixed together is a really unique and challenging beer. Is it great? Well, no it isn't great, but it's pretty tasty and certainly a beer I'd want to share with friends due to the unique flavors and as I recall the price was around 10 for the bomber so not cheap but nothing you have to hide your credit card bill from your significant other over either.

OK the chili in the flavor is great but it is a bit hot in my gut. The body is however creamy and really smooth. A shame about the chili punch in the gut, but I'm not really into spices so you may not notice at all.

Unique and pretty tasty. Worthy of a try but not one to seek out.

3.79/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero a couple weeks ago for $9.99 at The Lager Mill. I've had my eye on this for a little bit and while i was at the store picking up some of Oddside's Mayan Mocha Stout I thought I would get a bottle of this for comparison and to review since I think Clown Shoes is a solid Brewery, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is good looking, in typical Clown Shoes fashion it's pretty eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through with two fingers worth of mocha colored that faded to a thin ring that left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malts with some dark roasted malts, a little coffee and lots of dark chocolate and milk chocolate like aromas. Up comes a light spice aroma with no single spice seeming to stick out more than the others with some noticeable alcohol in the background. There's also a pretty big vanilla aroma also. The aroma is pretty good, but it's a little on the sweet side and the spices could show up just a little more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart some dark roasted malts and lots of dark chocolate and milk chocolate aromas with a little bit of coffee in the background. Up next comes a nice vanilla flavor along with a lighter amount of mixed spices and some noticeable and slightly warming alcohol. On the finish comes a slight smokey Ancho flavor and a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a roasted malt, chocolate and vanilla like aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, it was fairly complex and none of the aspects were too overpowering.

M- Fairly smooth, a little warming, creamy, full bodied, with a slightly lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a good example of the style, it does a good job of showcasing the added complexity that some of these Mexican styled stouts have with none of the aspects being too overpowering. It was very chocolaty and the spices and peppers took a back seat. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, creamy, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention but I couldn't see myself wanting anymore after drinking a bomber of this and I think it's a nice bottle to share. I liked how chocolaty this beer was the most. What I liked the least about this beer was how light the spice and pepper flavor and aromas were, I think this beer could have handled more of both. I might get this again when I want a very chocolaty beer, but I think if I'm in the mood for a Mexican style Stout I'll grab Mayan Mocha Stout instead. I would recommend this to anybody who likes this style of beer. All in all I thought this was a pretty nice beer, it wasn't as unique as I thought it would be but it still turned out to be pretty nice. When comparing this to Mayan Mocha Stout I prefer the chocolate and malt base of this beer, but I think Mayan Mocha Stout does a better job at showcasing the spices and peppers, so overall I think I prefer Mayan Mocha Stout. Good job clown shoes, this was a nice beer and I appreciate the effort, Keep up the good work.

3.95/5  rDev +1.5%

1 pint 6 fl.oz. bottle
Served in a snifter

A - This is a very dark beer. No light is getting through this beer. It is topped with a dark mocha head about an inch in height.

S - The aroma is dark roasted malt and dark chocolate.

T - The taste mirrors the smell. I cannot pick up any chilies or cinnamon. It's roasted malt and dark chocolate.

M - Thick and smooth.

O - It is an enjoyable stout. I was hoping for some chile spice, but it was still a good experience. Maybe I need a fresher bottle next time.

3.42/5  rDev -12.1%

Lightly chilled 22 oz. bomber into 33 cl tulips.

Look- Hazy brown, pretty light for a stout- or even a porter. Half a finger of dense beige head on the pour, falls quickly leaving no lace.

Smell- Spicy, milk chocolate, rum balls. Vaguely English-y malt presence, something nutty, but overwhelmingly smells of chocolate syrup and booze.

Taste- Loads of spice, cocoa, and booze with an interesting rich malt backbone. Kind of tastes like a snickers bar dusted with chili powder.

Mouthfeel- Medium body, minimal carbonation. Lighter than expected, but fairly boozy. Smooth on the sip, almost silky. Finishes warm and slightly powdery.

Overall- Well, the name sounds like something you'd look up on urbandictionary, and it comes off as a little boozy, but for a choco-holic's brew it's not bad. Certainly better than 90% of the chocolate stouts out there, but really, really suffers in the style and drinkability departments. Actually, I'm considering snagging another of these to sit for a few months- I've got a feeling it'd be spectacular. As it is, though, it's worth trying but not worth revisiting.

4.01/5  rDev +3.1%

Small snifter filled from a large bottle (in 2013), and 12 oz bottle in August 2015.

Full body with light but appropriate carbonation. Very smooth. High ABV evident but not harsh.

Flavor & Aroma: Some dark fruit, coffee peppers along with a good bit of dark chocolate. Lasting, rich aftertaste. Alcohol evident but not objectionable.

4.09/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours pitch black and completely opaque with a two finger beige head that slowly settles into a thick, lasting ring. Very good retention for the tyke with rings and streaks of soapy lacing left behind.

Deeply roasted dark malt aroma with peppery spicy and silky dessert-like chocolate notes. Prominent ground chili powder with pepper, cinnamon and brown sugar followed by robust coffee bean, burnt sugars, oatmeal, toast and dark chocolate. Sweeter chocolate notes as well with fudge, flour less chocolate cake and bakers chocolate. Peppers and especially vanilla bean are faded at this point but this beer still smells really complex and interesting.

Medium bodied but not as thick/viscous as expected with a prominent spicy chili pepper presence up front that lingers over the roast and sweeter malt notes into a dry finish. Unfortunately, it's not as complex as the nose suggests, but the chili presence is more prominent with lingering spicy heat. Cinnamon and peppery spice compliment the ancho chilies and adds another layer of flavor to the already complex malt bill. There's a nice roasted malt character providing some dry bitterness but its not acrid or over the top. Hints of burnt toast, oatmeal, robust coffee/espresso bean and bittersweet chocolate. Again, I'm not getting much vanilla. It must be pretty faded at this point but there is plenty of dessert like chocolate malt sweetness to balance things out. Silky milk chocolate with lactose and baker's chocolate rounding things out in the finish. The high ABV is very well masked with little to no alcohol flavor, huts some warmth in the chest. Overall, this is a really solid beer. I'm not a big fan of Clown Shoes but they did a really good job with this beer. Complex and easy to drink with great flavor. Recommended.

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from early 2013 poured into a Teku
A: not quite jet black but close, fully opaque little coffee brown head with no real legs left
S: roasted coffee with a hint of cocoa in the background. not much from the chilli's
T: bitter coffee and chocolate blend with a hint of spiciness that mixes into a slight booziness but not overpowering. Lacks a bit of depth but overall decent. I enjoy more layers of flavors whereas this one you just get a blend that is hard to pick out any defining characteristics
M: Leans toward the thick side with medium/low carbonation

Overall slightly better than OK on this one, would definitely buy again but not seek it out or have to have it.

Got in a trade with icetrauma. 22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 10/22/2012. Pours pitch black color with a 1 finger dense tan head with great retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, coffee, vanilla, dark bread, light cinnamon/chile, and roasted earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of roasted and chocolate, notes; with good strength. Taste of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, vanilla, dark bread, light coffee, light cinnamon/chile, and roasted earthiness. Slight touch of chile heat on the finish; with lingering notes of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, vanilla, dark bread, light coffee, light cinnamon, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of roasted/dark malt and vanilla flavors; cinnamon/chile notes must have diminished over age. Great flavor robustness and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and fairly full bodied; with a very creamy and moderately slick mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a small warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice imperial stout. All around good balance and complexity of roasted/dark malt and vanilla flavors; and very smooth to sip on. May have to pick up a fresh bottle to see if the chile/cinnamon is more pronounced; but it was still very enjoyable offering otherwise.

4.32/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Chocolate Sombrero pours black into the glass with a small tan head on top. As the foam disappears a few spots of lace cling to the glass.

The aroma has nice notes of chocolate, roasted malt, nuts, dark fruit and medicinal alcohol.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is smooth, slightly chewy with a moderate carbonated fizz. The flavor begins malty with chocolate and roast malt. Quickly some smoke and jalapeno heat appears. A touch of cinnamon is also present. It finishes with an earthy nuttiness and moderately bitter. Once gone the cinnamon, chocolate and roast malt linger on the palate.

This is a big beer with expanding flavors as it warms. Definitely sip to fully enjoy.

3.84/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle opened on 7.9.13
Bottled 02/2012

A - Pours a dark brown with ruby highlights, with a brown mixed-bubbled head with good retention.

S - Chocolate and cinnamon, some heat is detected as well.

T - Chocolate, cinnamon, then vanilla with a warming finish.

D - Lower carbonation with a heavier body.

O - Nice, chocolate, cinnamon, vanilla and a touch of heat from the chilies.

Chocolate Sombrero from Clown Shoes