Chocolate Sombrero - Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: rab53 on 02-26-2012

Roasted dark malts plus extra chocolate malts plus ancho chile plus cinnamon plus organic vanilla extract plus a chocolate eating, beer drinking, Clown Shoes wearing, multi limbed, gorgeous and glorious Mexican wrestler on the label. That’s the recipe for a Chocolate Sombrero!

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Midnight oil is burning as we speak, I'm working hard on drinking this high quality Mexican American hybrid, it's a beautiful beer that more folks need to get to know! An intimate combination of black patent, chocolate malts with mole' esque experience serving the vanilla/cinnamon/ancho chile experience in a glass. This beer is new to Ohio and Pittsburgh markets, I'm blessed to have options of good beer. These Clown Shoes folks are dark beer specialists, thus far if it's dark and it's from Ipswich, MA the beer can do no wrong for me. Dark bountiful body with a tan head forming froth fully above the rim of my chalice, leaving behind layered intricate lacing patterns. Aromatics offer up dark chocolate notes, hints of vanilla and smoked chiles, cinnamon spice combo that works so well together. Flavors bring the dark chocolate and adjuncts together to form somewhat of a liquid mole' suauce, I'm in love. Mouthfeel is amazing silky smooth even flowing carbonation big medium to full bodied perfect finish. Overall buy this beer and share it with good beer drinking friends and admire the beauty!!!

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Dark black with tan tint, 1/2 creamy head with plenty of sticky lacing.

Smell - Wow, very strong aroma, Malts, pepper, chocolate, some added brown sugar, caramel, toffee, cinnamon, a little milk/lactose near the finish. Smells real good.

Taste - Starts out much like a milk stout, maybe a milk stout on steroids, sweet chocolate, spices and roasty malts. Some minor bitter fruits are mixed in along with some brown sugar and cinnamon. The pepper notes come in at the finish and add a little warmth.

Mouthfeel - Malts, and chocolate really coat the tongue at first sip. Some bitter fruits and a little coffee gets the palate. Peppers come in at the finish for a little heat. The aftertaste is warm, malty and a little bitter.

Overall - This is pretty good, a nice spin on a stout for sure. Its actually balanced well, not too malty, not too sweet or too hot. Might be my favorite clown shoes so far. Very easy to drink, drinks closer to a American stout then a ris. Good stuff, worth a drink.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My last beer run has provided me one pretty good beer and a couple a HUGE disappointments but given I've got a chocolate stout to wrap things up for the weekend, I think I'm in good hands.

A firm pour provides a white cream foam cap over a dark and rich looking body. Think mid level darkness and density for the style.

Another pour to bring out the aromas and I'm getting plenty of chocolate, a touch of cinnamon, lactose, and some light coffee grinds.

Chili in beer is almost always game over for me, but here they seem to have found a way of keeping it out tame enough to just add a bit of "what's that" vs. "oh hell not chili". The beer brings out so much chocolate, dark roast, light coffee, and then the entire malt back is mixed with cinnamon at a level that once again doesn't over power, it just sits perfectly with the malt. The end result of all these spices and flavors being mixed together is a really unique and challenging beer. Is it great? Well, no it isn't great, but it's pretty tasty and certainly a beer I'd want to share with friends due to the unique flavors and as I recall the price was around 10 for the bomber so not cheap but nothing you have to hide your credit card bill from your significant other over either.

OK the chili in the flavor is great but it is a bit hot in my gut. The body is however creamy and really smooth. A shame about the chili punch in the gut, but I'm not really into spices so you may not notice at all.

Unique and pretty tasty. Worthy of a try but not one to seek out.

3.79/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero a couple weeks ago for $9.99 at The Lager Mill. I've had my eye on this for a little bit and while i was at the store picking up some of Oddside's Mayan Mocha Stout I thought I would get a bottle of this for comparison and to review since I think Clown Shoes is a solid Brewery, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is good looking, in typical Clown Shoes fashion it's pretty eye catching. It poured a dark black color that didn't let any light come through with two fingers worth of mocha colored that faded to a thin ring that left some nice patchy rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malts with some dark roasted malts, a little coffee and lots of dark chocolate and milk chocolate like aromas. Up comes a light spice aroma with no single spice seeming to stick out more than the others with some noticeable alcohol in the background. There's also a pretty big vanilla aroma also. The aroma is pretty good, but it's a little on the sweet side and the spices could show up just a little more.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart some dark roasted malts and lots of dark chocolate and milk chocolate aromas with a little bit of coffee in the background. Up next comes a nice vanilla flavor along with a lighter amount of mixed spices and some noticeable and slightly warming alcohol. On the finish comes a slight smokey Ancho flavor and a lighter amount of medium bitterness with a roasted malt, chocolate and vanilla like aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting beer, it was fairly complex and none of the aspects were too overpowering.

M- Fairly smooth, a little warming, creamy, full bodied, with a slightly lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked really well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a good example of the style, it does a good job of showcasing the added complexity that some of these Mexican styled stouts have with none of the aspects being too overpowering. It was very chocolaty and the spices and peppers took a back seat. This beer had decent drinkability, it was fairly smooth, creamy, a little filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention but I couldn't see myself wanting anymore after drinking a bomber of this and I think it's a nice bottle to share. I liked how chocolaty this beer was the most. What I liked the least about this beer was how light the spice and pepper flavor and aromas were, I think this beer could have handled more of both. I might get this again when I want a very chocolaty beer, but I think if I'm in the mood for a Mexican style Stout I'll grab Mayan Mocha Stout instead. I would recommend this to anybody who likes this style of beer. All in all I thought this was a pretty nice beer, it wasn't as unique as I thought it would be but it still turned out to be pretty nice. When comparing this to Mayan Mocha Stout I prefer the chocolate and malt base of this beer, but I think Mayan Mocha Stout does a better job at showcasing the spices and peppers, so overall I think I prefer Mayan Mocha Stout. Good job clown shoes, this was a nice beer and I appreciate the effort, Keep up the good work.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

1 pint 6 fl.oz. bottle
Served in a snifter

A - This is a very dark beer. No light is getting through this beer. It is topped with a dark mocha head about an inch in height.

S - The aroma is dark roasted malt and dark chocolate.

T - The taste mirrors the smell. I cannot pick up any chilies or cinnamon. It's roasted malt and dark chocolate.

M - Thick and smooth.

O - It is an enjoyable stout. I was hoping for some chile spice, but it was still a good experience. Maybe I need a fresher bottle next time.

Chocolate Sombrero from Clown Shoes