Flight Of The Pimp - Clown Shoes

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Strong Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: PeterIngemi on 06-05-2012

Some pimps walk. Some pimps strut. Some pimps run from the law. This pimp, a blend of Pimp and Knob Creek bourbon barrel aged Blaecorn Unidragon, rides between giant wings as they flap through a fiery night sky.
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 72 | Reviews: 26
2.27/5  rDev -42.7%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Duvel Tulip Style glass. Pretty much black in color, if not it's as dark brown as you can get without being black. Nice tan colored head comes out after a hard pour, it's very creamy looking. Ok lacing, nothing to write home about. All in all a pretty good looking beer.

Big malt backbone here. Lots of roastiness and hints of caramel. The dominant feature in the smell is unfortunately that Belgian yeast that has banana tones unfortunately. There's a slight bourbon smell that follows everything that helps, but doesn't do enough.

I tried this cold, chilled, and room temperature, and it doesn't get any better, it just doesn't taste good. Malty and it tries to be sweet, but it's overly bitter and there's that gross banana Belgian yeast flavor. Slight coffee if you take tiny sips.

Mouthfeel is close to as bad as it gets. Carbonation level is ok, but the bite from the alcohol is rough and is extremely bitter and feels almost dirty if that makes sense. I guess the one thing is it's lighter in body than I expected.

I felt bad popping this open by myself and didn't share it. I guess it's my punishment was how bad this is. I did get a 2nd bottle, I guess I can try to age it, but I don't have high hopes. An unfortunate drain pour.

3.15/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured into a snifter.

4.0 A: Dark brown, pretty much black. Two fingers of frothy/creamy light brown head. Retention is pretty good for the ABV and a short ring of lacing is left.

4.0 S: The brown ale comes out wonderfully in this. Big toastiness with an equal amount of nuttiness. The stout surprisingly plays second fiddle. Roastiness, some coffee, plenty of caramel and molasses. Lots of sweet chocolate. The barrel aging isn't as apparent as I'd like. The bourbon only offers a slight leathery earthiness. Still, the blend smells great.

3.0 T: The taste is a bit disappointing after experiencing the nose. It's still toasty and nutty, but there's too much roastiness for how dry it is. The end result is that the beer is more bitter than it ought to be. There's also some tannic astringency from the barrel. Surpringly dry, the caramel, molasses, and sweet chocolate found in the nose is much reduced in the taste. Booze is well hidden though.

2.5 M: Lighter medium to medium body. I think the body is so light because this is a bit overcarbonated. Lacking creaminess and the tannins reduced the smoothness.

2.5 D: The farther I got into the bomber, the less I wanted to drink more, which is never a good sign for a brew. It's not bad, but I wouldn't buy it again.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

22oz bottle poured into CCB snifter. Blend of Bourbon BA Blaecorn Unidragon and Pimp. Consumed back to back with Pimp. Awesome Artwork, one of my favorite bottle labels.

A- Pours an opaque dark black, pretty much no head, fairly light carbonation. Definitely darker then Pimp without the head and less carbonation- definitely has a little bit more of the characteristics of the Blaecorn.

S- Similar to the Pimp. First recognized the characteristics of the Pimp- smells of coffee, nuts, roasted malts, etc.. The smell of the Unidragon comes out as well- chocolate, more roasted malts, etc.. Both beers come out equally providing a little bit more chocolate and roasted presence then the regular Pimp.

T- Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, nuts, lightly sweet a little bit rich and very complex.

M- The Blaecorn definitely made this beer a little bit sweeter and thicker, but it wasn't too thick. In my opinion it was almost perfect- not too syrupy, but not too light. The Blaecorn definitely took away a little bit of the carbonation which I didn't mind. The beer was well balanced, went down smoothly, no alcoholic burn, and felt great for a beer of 10% abv.

O- This was a great blend of two great beers. I felt like the Blaecorn added a whole additional presence of complexity to the Pimp. You could easily distinguish characteristics from each beer, but yet the two flavors blended very well. The only thing that I was hoping a little bit more for was a stronger bourbon presence- although being a blended beer this isn't all that surprising. I would love to try a BA Blaecorn by itself to compare. Overall this beer was an interesting and tasty try, I recommend picking some up while you still can.

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost porter-ish. Huge and dense milk chocolate colored head. Fades very slowly, leaving a fluffy wall of lacing on 75% of the glass. Head never seems to fully fade. Top notch.

S: Hmm some chocolate initially. Then some roasted malt char and some stronger toasted malt ...toastiness. Quite nutty. Not much bourbon, just a bit of toffee but the base beer has a lot of that anyway. I get the slightest hint of coffee here and there.

T: Wonderful toasted malt and nuts mixed with a mild roasted malt character. Again, mainly dark chocolate from the toasted malt with the slightest hints of bitter coffe and char. Mild toffee throughout. Drying oak in the aftertaste along with a bit of earthy and coffee bitterness. Brown ale elements aren't quite so harsh like in the base beer, especially as it warms and the roasted malt character becomes stronger and stronger.

M: Heavy, mild carbonation. Silky.

O: I'm not sure what the ratio was that they used to mix the two beers to make this one, but I'm going to guess that it was mostly Pimp. Probably 2/3 to 3/4 Pimp in fact. There is very little bourbon element which is a shame since Knob Creek is one of my favorites. There is however a mild roasted malt element from the Blaecorn Unidragon which adds some nice balance to the otherwise dominating toasted malt/nuttiness of the original brew. It not only adds balance but additional complexity. It basically makes the beer 10% better in every way so I really can't complain. I think it would have been amazing if they had barrel aged the blend, instead of just the minority portion of the blend. The bourbon would have really come through and I bet this would have been stunning. Having said that, I don't mean to badmouth the brew, it is one of the best browns I've ever had. Flavorful, bold, complicated and surprisingly balanced. It helps that I'm a big fan of stouts and brown ales.

4.95/5  rDev +25%

Flight of The Pimp!!!

Fantastic label art as usual.

This is the best beer I have tried from Clown Shoes so far, and I am a fan of theirs. Pours a rich mahogany color with a decent sized head. Smells of chocolate, caramel, oak and bourbon, so it smells great! Taste is a blend of a ridiculous amount of flavors that are surprisingly well balanced: smoke, oak, wood, bourbon, chocalte, dark fruit,and roasted nuts. Mouthfeel is rich but dry, a great, great, great beer!

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

Split a 22 oz bottled poured into a duvel glass.

A: pours a dark dark/brown black... Much like regular pimp, witha finger if mocha head, that dissapates quickly and leavs a bit of lacing.

S; earthy nutty brownness nvery similar to the the regular pimp. A bit f chOcolate there too. Faint burbon but really not anything to powerful here....

T; much like the regular pimp, earthy nutty chocolaty malts... There is a bit of depth and a touch of burbon here but other then that much like the original. Deffinatly could have used more burbon.

M: medium body with medium carbonation, I wish this was a little thicker... A bit dry in the finish... Drinkable for abv.

O: I'm a little dissapointed with this one... I was hoping for more burbon and a little more heft in the bottom, very similar to the regular pimp... Could have def used more blaecorn.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »