Porcine Unidragon - Clown Shoes

Porcine UnidragonPorcine Unidragon

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  12.50% ABV

This is Blaecorn Unidragon made with Beechwood Smoked malt, which adds a natural meaty note (there is no actual meat in the brew). Aged 100% bourbon barrels. Little piggies run, squeal to the heavens: Clown Shoes wishes you luck.

(Beer added by: MasterSki on 10-05-2012)

aslamm75, Jul 16, 2013

Givemebeer, Jul 15, 2013

imfrommichigan, Jul 15, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -9.8%

On to the last bomber from Brez.

It pours an opaque brownish sludge. Short caramel colored head falls to a thin ring that leaves behind a few spots of lacing that slide back into the drink. 4.0

The aroma teeters between smoky, and sweet. I get chocolate, toasted marshmallow, anise, burnt caramel, and wood. I'm guessing its barrel aged, no oak, no vanilla, but there is some peat. I'm not a fan of the scents, but they are balanced very well. 4.0

Its flavors fall in line, just not as balanced. I taste coco, prune, toasted marshmallow, anise, with a peppery bite. Not sure what I'm dealing with here at all, not a big fan either. 3.5

It has a medium body, which seems a little thin with all its flavor. It has a long warm finish. 3.5

A slow sipper for sure. Much more suited for a cold winter day. 3.5

I really have no clue as to what beer this is, or even a style. Maybe it's an Imperial Barrel Aged Porter.... nope, it is a Porcine Unidragon - Clown Shoes. If this is the worst beer I get, then I guess I'm doing good.

sitarist, Jul 11, 2013

Zuidman, Jul 07, 2013

Hallertau, Jul 05, 2013

BKotch, Jul 01, 2013
3.66/5  rDev -10.3%

Reviewed blind as part of Blind BIF 8, courtesy of Auror. Poured into a snifter.

A - Another dark, dark stout! This one has a few fingers of dense, sticky head that lasts a while and leaves nice chunky lacing down the sides. Very pretty.

S - Somewhat smoky, with cocoa powder and, unless my nose deceives me, some spicy heat! Possibly some oak/barrel character as well, but it's hard to tell. Unusual and intriguing.

T - Cocoa powder and smooth smokiness, over some molasses and dark fruits. A little bit of hoppy bitterness. I think I was hallucinating the spiciness on the nose, but it's somehow still hard to say for sure. This is a weird beer.

M - Moderately thick, pretty smooth. Not much carbonation. Some hop bitterness and smoke lingers for a while.

Overall, I don't quite know what to think... It is tasty, but kind of a mish-mash of flavors that don't quite come together. It's certainly not bad, but could be better.

Non-blind comments: The bourbon barrel influence was pretty subtle, I only picked it up in the nose. I think this lines up with how I've felt about other Clown Shoes beers: Good and somewhat unique, but not great.

abraxel, Jun 29, 2013

camp0474, Jun 29, 2013

Roger55, Jun 28, 2013

Rau71, Jun 28, 2013

1424IpA, Jun 28, 2013

DrinkingDrake, Jun 27, 2013

Hopstout, Jun 27, 2013
3.74/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a bomber bottle, bottled on 4/17/13, and poured into my Stone goblet...

A - Pours almost black, with a finger of brown head. Spotty lacing as I sip this one down.

S - The smell is slightly smokey with notes of dark chocolate.

T/M - The taste is very bittersweet chocolate forward, with hints of bourbon in the background. Big dark/burnt malt profile with moderate lingering heat from the alcohol. An aftertatse of wood, slight smoke, and alcohol.Medium/full mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - Clown Shoes makes some damn good stouts. This is just a slight variation on the Blaecorn Unidragon, and I do mean slight. If I didn't know about the "bourbon barrel" from the label, I wouldn't have been able to pick it out. It's a good stout, but not one I would pick up again.

Rizalini, Jun 25, 2013