Luchador En Fuego - Clown Shoes

Luchador En FuegoLuchador En Fuego

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Clown Shoes' Third Anniversary beer. Aged in Heaven Hill and Wild Turkey barrels.

(Beer added by: Dope on 01-16-2013)

TBarJr, Aug 31, 2014

Rlhinson2104, Sep 16, 2014
2.05/5  rDev -50.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

A -Pitch black with khaki head

S - Watered down milk chocolate. Hint of vanilla and oak. Bourbon cancelled out the chili pepper aspect.

T - When I first cracked the bottle and had a drink, I didn't think it was half bad. Probably only because I was worried the chili peppers would burn my throat. They didn't, which is why I was so pleased with the taste. Repeated sips yielded just a mess. Chocolate was watery and the bourbon wasn't sweet. A bit of burn in the throat from the chili. Basically, all these flavors didn't mix together well at all.

M - Not very thick for the style. Again watered down.

O - All of these flavors didn't go together nicely. While you do taste each one on it's own, I would say they didn't blend. Aftertaste still lingers after a while and it's not one you want around. I couldn't finish the bomber. One of my few drainpours.

ThrewRedButter, May 26, 2014

westcoastbeerlvr, Jun 26, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -33.6%

dvmin98, Apr 21, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours an impenetrable, opaque black color. A bubbly tan head tries to rise, but fizzles out after about a finger. Light lace.
S: Very sweet up front. Vanilla, chocolate, granulated brown sugar. At first I am thinking this is going to send me to become a diabetic. Then some dry coco powder comes in with some chilies/peppery spicy aromas. This is not good, between diabetic shock, and and full on pepper as this warms.
T: Follows the nose with a huge sweetness up front. Overly sugary, with milk chocolate, sweet vanilla. Seems like vanilla extract at that. Not anything imparted from the barrel. Then come a dry coco powder, and pepper flavor. Powdery is a good descriptor. Seems almost aspirin like. Then the heat from the peppers takes over. The peppers build and build as this warms. What a mess.
M/D: A full body with low to moderate carbonation. Slick, oily, and viscous. Then very powdery and aspirin like. While the ABV is well hidden, there is nothing here that I care to drink.

Man, this is a mess. At first it is overly/sickly sweet, then oddly ends dry and powdery. I could not tell if this was barrel aged at all, though with a well integrated beer that is something I enjoy. Nothing about this is well integrated. It is like the sickly sweet stouts Southern Tier makes with peppers added, and nothing works well. Blah is all I have to say.

champ103, Apr 19, 2013
2.94/5  rDev -29%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Lightly blackened with a thin yet creamy lid, it looks basically how it should. I yearn for the aroma treasure trove I read about in other reviews. I get chocolate and I get bourbon, but as I hyperventilate to find some sense of chili peppers, the closest thing I can muster is cinnamon! No heat, and for a "Mexican" stout partly entitled "fuego," that's a problem. Someone put this on par with Mexican Cake, Hunapuh, and others? I've ridden the hype train before--and the reality is that I'm still looking for those two--but a pepper beer should have some sorta kick. Ballast Point doesn't stiff brews on pepper spice--is it harder in a stout? Even for a readily available Total Wine-style purchase, I'm disappointed. If it were a whale or a clamored-about exclusive, I'd be confused. It's like an entree sold as spicy failing to deliver. Quite frankly I fully understand the absence of hoopla and I wholly get why this one sat as a surprise for me to just try from the shelf. I will likely leave it next time....

marvin213, Aug 04, 2013

B33rcules, Jul 23, 2014

Claytonbrewsby, Apr 10, 2014

Anvilfarm, Nov 22, 2013
3.29/5  rDev -20.5%

A: The deep, dark brown of coffee left in a french press and forgotten.

S: Coffee-but-not-coffee roast, sweet malts, vanilla.

T: Sweetness, booze, vanilla, and roast.

M: Creamy, syrupy, and a bit hot on the finish but not from the chilies.

O: Bombastic and messy. There's not much balance, just sweetness and bourbon.

01001111, Apr 22, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First CLown Shoes beer in quite a while for me. This poured the way I would expect a rich high abv stout to do. Dark and black, but this also had a reddish hue to the beer which made it more interesting.

No question about chocolate on the nose plus some forward bourbon aromas. The first sip was relatively big, again expected for a big beer. Not too carbonated, and thats the way I like my stouts.

Chocolate came out in the taste which made the stout big and full. The after taste started like an afterburner in a jet. Lots of alcohol at the finish. There was a lingering alcohol burn that stayed for a while.

rdilauro, Apr 01, 2014
3.41/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a snifter.

A: Black. Pours a half finger, foamy, brown head. Quickly dissipates, leaving a thin beer ring around the rim. Spotty lacing.

S: Black licorice, hints of dark chocolate and vanilla, and lots of booze.

T: Bitter dark chocolate and black licorice are prominent. The bourbon infusion is much more prominent.

M: Thick and hearty. The beer components are a little overwhelmed by booze. Bitter, boozy finish lingers on the palate.

D: Sip and savor.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Fair head, and slight yet persistent lacing. Nose is bitter and sweet with lots of booze from the barrel aging. Bitterness is the primary beer component, and lots of booze pretty much overshadows anything else that may have had a chance to make an appearance. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff.

bmwats, Nov 10, 2013
3.41/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a medium murky brown with minimal head. The nose is heavy on cacao up front paired with green pepper. The pepper and chocolate dominate the nose. Not getting much in the way of bourbon or cinnamon. Taste is very sweet up front with heavy malt character. This is paired with dry bitter cocoa and vegetal pepper notes. The pepper is obviously there, but it brings almost no heat to the palate. The finish is sweet and syrupy. Mouthfeel is moderate with high carbonation. Overall, the pepper and the chocolate makes its presence known. The barrel seems to be missing from this equation. The flavors are not balanced like they are in other similarly styled brews. Not a huge fan of this.

homebrew311, Jun 10, 2014
3.43/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

"Stout brewed with spices, with vanilla added, and aged in bourbon barrels." Third anniversary ale. 11% ABV confirmed. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard branded pressure cap served into a Mitchells of Lancaster flared stem-tulip in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given current ratings. This is me first beer from this brewery.

Served cold, straight from the fridge, and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a one finger dark khaki colour head of nice cream, good thickness, and average (~2 minute) retention. Body colour is a solid nontransparent black colour. Opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Appealing for the style, but there's nothing unique or special here.

Sm: Chocolate malts, dark malts, cream, buried roast, light vanilla, bourbon, and oak. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. I search for chili pepper, but get very little, if any - they're quite buried. A mild strength aroma.

T/Mf: Hrm. Dried chili - and I do mean dried. It lends it a powdery dry feel that I'm not that fond of. Chocolate and dark malts comprise the foundation. No yeast character comes through. A bit of alcohol, but I wouldn't call it boozy or hot. Good carbonation. Smooth and wet. Widens on the finish; I'm not a fan of the third act at all. Some artificial vanilla - but luckily not too much. Good body - maybe a bit too much. Not all that complex, but it's well layered and gets the job done. Hints of bourbon - but they lack the subtlety and strength of execution I expect from a great beer in the style. Cinnamon. A bit of earthy spice. I don't find the chipotle. I don't get any coffee. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Balanced alright for what it is. Built pretty decently. I'm not impressed. Not unique or special. I do like it in a general sense, but it lacks anything extraordinary.

Dr: This deserves to get lost amidst the plethora of better imperial stouts. It just doesn't set itself apart. I wouldn't get it again. I'm rather disappointed in my first Clown Shoes beer. Hides its ABV pretty decently. I'll be able to finish the bottle by meself because I respect beer, but it hasn't caught me fancy. Clown Shoes has to bring more to the table if they're going to captivate me. This is passable, but unimpressive.

B-