Luchador En Fuego - Clown Shoes

Luchador En FuegoLuchador En Fuego

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Clown Shoes' Third Anniversary beer. Aged in Heaven Hill and Wild Turkey barrels.

(Beer added by: Dope on 01-16-2013)

1.48/5  rDev -64.2%

Thanks to Masterski for shooting me this one a couple summers ago.

From a bomber into a snifter
Bottled 11 Jan 2013

APPEARANCE: Pours out clear light brown and yields a two finger, medium looking, foamy, crackly, light tan head with decent retention. Head fades to a thin wisp and clings to the sides of the glass. A slight wisp and ring remain leaving some dots of lacing as the glass empties. Head is fine, but the body is much too light and transparent for the style.

SMELL: Lots of alcohol initially. Like vodka even. Closer inspection reveals some cocoa powder, vanilla, sweet cream, bourbon and oak as well. The oak and vanilla give it a fighting chance, but the spirit it rather cheap and sharp. Not good.

TASTE: Harsh alcohol and spirit flavors up front, with even more of the same at the swallow. Very little stout here, which isn’t all that surprising given the thin and light appearance. Bold and harsh finish of cheap whisky and vodka and some ill-tempered chilies linger on the palate. More chilies come out as it sits, but that’s not a good thing in this case, as they don’t go well with cheap booze. A touch of vanilla and cocoa show up very, very late in the show, but much too late and in little quantity to offer any type of rescue here. This reminds me of poorly mixed Jack Daniels and Coke from high school. Like some jackoff took some JD, slammed too much of it into way too little Coke, then dumped it all into a 4% poorly executed homebrewed stout and dropped a chili into it. This beer makes children cry for no apparent reason.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy enough, goes down fine enough and finishes a touch sticky. A bit of a scratch at the swallow and lots of heat lingers.

OVERALL: This is wretched. Disappointing from Clown Shoes, as I’ve had some quality stuff from these guys. I really had much higher expectations for this brew, but it was like they decided to use the cheapest booze and nastiest chilies they could find, then just throw them indiscriminately into the most boring and lack-luster base stout they could possibly imagine. Just awful. I can’t get over how awful this is. You really have to try your hardest to make something this crappy, then you have to really make a tough conscious decision to release this to your customers for purchase and consumption. I guess they were thinking the same thing as the Ballast Point guys when they released Indra Kunindra… “All our other stuff is great, so people will forgive us and continue to support. With this crapper of a beer, there’s only a little bit of it, so people only have to buy one bottle anyways.” Okay, forgiven this time. At least give a public apology or something though. Avoid like the plague.

2.05/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.25

A -Pitch black with khaki head

S - Watered down milk chocolate. Hint of vanilla and oak. Bourbon cancelled out the chili pepper aspect.

T - When I first cracked the bottle and had a drink, I didn't think it was half bad. Probably only because I was worried the chili peppers would burn my throat. They didn't, which is why I was so pleased with the taste. Repeated sips yielded just a mess. Chocolate was watery and the bourbon wasn't sweet. A bit of burn in the throat from the chili. Basically, all these flavors didn't mix together well at all.

M - Not very thick for the style. Again watered down.

O - All of these flavors didn't go together nicely. While you do taste each one on it's own, I would say they didn't blend. Aftertaste still lingers after a while and it's not one you want around. I couldn't finish the bomber. One of my few drainpours.

2.12/5  rDev -48.7%

2.48/5  rDev -40%

2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

2.5/5  rDev -39.5%

2.75/5  rDev -33.4%

2.78/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours an impenetrable, opaque black color. A bubbly tan head tries to rise, but fizzles out after about a finger. Light lace.
S: Very sweet up front. Vanilla, chocolate, granulated brown sugar. At first I am thinking this is going to send me to become a diabetic. Then some dry coco powder comes in with some chilies/peppery spicy aromas. This is not good, between diabetic shock, and and full on pepper as this warms.
T: Follows the nose with a huge sweetness up front. Overly sugary, with milk chocolate, sweet vanilla. Seems like vanilla extract at that. Not anything imparted from the barrel. Then come a dry coco powder, and pepper flavor. Powdery is a good descriptor. Seems almost aspirin like. Then the heat from the peppers takes over. The peppers build and build as this warms. What a mess.
M/D: A full body with low to moderate carbonation. Slick, oily, and viscous. Then very powdery and aspirin like. While the ABV is well hidden, there is nothing here that I care to drink.

Man, this is a mess. At first it is overly/sickly sweet, then oddly ends dry and powdery. I could not tell if this was barrel aged at all, though with a well integrated beer that is something I enjoy. Nothing about this is well integrated. It is like the sickly sweet stouts Southern Tier makes with peppers added, and nothing works well. Blah is all I have to say.

2.94/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Lightly blackened with a thin yet creamy lid, it looks basically how it should. I yearn for the aroma treasure trove I read about in other reviews. I get chocolate and I get bourbon, but as I hyperventilate to find some sense of chili peppers, the closest thing I can muster is cinnamon! No heat, and for a "Mexican" stout partly entitled "fuego," that's a problem. Someone put this on par with Mexican Cake, Hunapuh, and others? I've ridden the hype train before--and the reality is that I'm still looking for those two--but a pepper beer should have some sorta kick. Ballast Point doesn't stiff brews on pepper spice--is it harder in a stout? Even for a readily available Total Wine-style purchase, I'm disappointed. If it were a whale or a clamored-about exclusive, I'd be confused. It's like an entree sold as spicy failing to deliver. Quite frankly I fully understand the absence of hoopla and I wholly get why this one sat as a surprise for me to just try from the shelf. I will likely leave it next time....

2.96/5  rDev -28.3%

3.29/5  rDev -20.3%

A: The deep, dark brown of coffee left in a french press and forgotten.

S: Coffee-but-not-coffee roast, sweet malts, vanilla.

T: Sweetness, booze, vanilla, and roast.

M: Creamy, syrupy, and a bit hot on the finish but not from the chilies.

O: Bombastic and messy. There's not much balance, just sweetness and bourbon.

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First CLown Shoes beer in quite a while for me. This poured the way I would expect a rich high abv stout to do. Dark and black, but this also had a reddish hue to the beer which made it more interesting.

No question about chocolate on the nose plus some forward bourbon aromas. The first sip was relatively big, again expected for a big beer. Not too carbonated, and thats the way I like my stouts.

Chocolate came out in the taste which made the stout big and full. The after taste started like an afterburner in a jet. Lots of alcohol at the finish. There was a lingering alcohol burn that stayed for a while.

Luchador En Fuego from Clown Shoes