Luchador En Fuego - Clown Shoes

Luchador En FuegoLuchador En Fuego

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.00% ABV

Clown Shoes' Third Anniversary beer. Aged in Heaven Hill and Wild Turkey barrels.

(Beer added by: Dope on 01-16-2013)

alex021224, Apr 19, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

Davit, Apr 19, 2014
4.48/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 2/25/14. Poured 4/18/14. $14.99 bomber. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: Not what I was expecting to see at all. Poured a super fizzy black. No head or lacing left behind. The laser etching from the glass releases a steady carbonation to the top of the beer, but it's a really bland looking brew. Black water, basically. As I got to the bottom of the bottle and finished it off into the glass, it produced a bit of a brown head, but it's still a rather mediocre looking Imperial Stout. That's a nit-pick!

Smell: There's that barrel! Love it. Bourbon barrel is immediately noticeable with its woody characteristic and vanilla. Dark fruits. The bourbon itself/an alcohol aroma as well. One whiff and you know this is a big beer. Sweet, bold, beautiful. I wish I could say more, but the beer speaks for itself.

Taste/feel: Mm... excellent, excellent. Bourbon barrel vanilla notes with dark fruits, roasted malt, chocolate, and a plain cake doughnut sort of thing that I pick up in a lot of bourbon barreled stouts. There may be a touch of cinnamon that this beer's supposedly brewed with, but I could easily mistake that with the chocolate and barrel together. Nice sweetness on the end with a bit of warming alcohol. Nice and complex. Reading the label, ancho chilis and chipotle peppers are supposed to be in this beer, but I honestly get zero pepper heat, and if there's a flavor, it's probably because I'm imagining it while reading the label. The feel isnt that great, which is a bit of a bummer, but it's not beer ruiningly bad at all.

Overall, I'm more than impressed. I read that this is supposedly their Chocolate Sombrero aged in bourbon barrels with a few extra things added, but it's worked wonders, as I didn't love that beer... this tastes completely different and FAR better. Luchador en Fuego has some phenomenal complexity between the base of the beer and the fact it was tossed into bourbon barrels. I haven't had the "big boy" BBA imperial stouts like KBS or Black Note yet, but holy hell this sure is working for me. I was just knocking the mouthfeel, but this beer has such a considerable amount of sweetness that a bit more heft and less carbonation may have it drinking like syrup.

So... yeah. $15 for this puts it at a price that makes it a beer you'd very likely not drink often, but it's definitely a phenomenal beer. It's "meh" in the glass and the mouthfeel could maaaaybe use a BIT of tweaking, but overall, this is one of the very best beers I've ever tasted. This is yet another Clown Shoes beer that I feel is being short changed by the community, for whatever reason... 91 overall? C'mon now.

This is a long review, I know, and my score may come off as generous, but I was in love from first sip with this beer. A total winner.

Alextricity, Apr 19, 2014

DanGeo, Apr 14, 2014

osuskin, Apr 13, 2014

pstam87, Apr 13, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Darkest brown pour emerging black. Thin creamy mocha head.

Milk stout aroma. Milk chocolate, chocolate malt, Spanish cocoa hot chocolate, vanilla and pert near perfecto bourbon. Did I mention chocolate?

Nuance of coffee, hot cocoa, baking chocolate bars. Bourbon and peppers meld on the top back of my palate. I thought I would be holding these but damn the freshness is so bright and wanting to be consumed now. Vanilla and malt. Not sure if I get any cinnamon though.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Languid and bittersweet. Libations sensations that stagger the mind.

Look up goodness in Websters and you'll find En Fuego listed somewhere. Extremely balanced with the bourbon, chiles, vanilla and chocolate. Really none better in this class with the chilies in mind. Worth every friggin penny. I'm getting more!

joeseppy, Apr 13, 2014

jemarent, Apr 13, 2014

alexm1309, Apr 12, 2014

pathman, Apr 12, 2014

Sean32, Apr 12, 2014

Stevelikesbeer, Apr 11, 2014
4.16/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a Stone IRS snifter. This one was a gusher, which is surprising (and troubling) considering it's a barrel-aged beer. Once it was brought under control, the beer poured out black, not terribly viscous, and sported a pretty dark brown head that starts out impressive but sinks into the beer very quickly. On the nose I get some creamy notes of vanilla, a bit of roasted malt, and just a tiny amount of oak. It doesn't smell like it was in the barrel for very long (but I must admit I'm no expert). Upon warming, agitation forces forth a tart, cherry-like note that doesn't show up in the flavor at all (perhaps it's the chilis, which do show up).

Full body and a very pleasant, complex flavor. There's a lot going on with this beer and it plays well on my palate. Up front I get rich malty notes, dark bittersweet chocolate, vanilla, and the bourbon. Alcohol warmth lights everything up almost immediately. At mid-palate, the chili peppers add just enough of their heat to the party to complement the sweet and bitter flavors already dancing on your tastebuds. The spice from the chilis joins with the alcohol warmth and makes for a very pleasant drinking experience. The bourbon comes on a bit stronger in the back of the throat and lingers behind with some oaky notes. I'm not sure if I'm getting the cinnamon.

I've had Chocolate Sombrero (and really enjoyed it) and this one is worth the extra 6 dollars. The bourbon brings more vanilla and a pleasant boozy sweetness that complements the chocolate and chili flavors perfectly. My only gripe is that, like Chocolate Sombrero, the feel seems a bit thin for such a rich, crowded flavor profile, despite the seemingly high ABV (perhaps it's just my imagination). Nevertheless, I will definitely buy this one again the next time I see it. The flavor is crazy good.

deadonhisfeet, Apr 11, 2014