Galactica - Clown Shoes

Beer added by: Neorebel on 04-17-2013

Reviews: 194 | Hads: 1,351
Reviews by lochef81:
3.99/5  rDev +1%

My second experience with Clown Shoes and thus far I am definitely a fan. I almost opted out of this one based upon some of the other reviews but I'm so glad I picked it up anyhow. This ale pours a deep copper color with a slight white head that quickly gives way to a gentle off white lacing. The nose is all hops. Pine and grapefruit and a little grass intermingle beautifully to create a fresh bitter wonderland. The taste further accentuates the aroma, bringing all the beauty of the fresh hop flavors with a roasted malty sweet flavor that balances the beer perfectly. I almost think they could have brewed to a bit higher of an abv and still pulled off a very successful beer. This is an ipa I will return to again and often. Pick up a bottle and you wont regret it. P.s. extra kudos for the bitching 80s cargo van side style graphics. (841 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I’ve started trying beers by Clown Shoes one by one and so far they are definitely above average, but not stellar, but then again I have been spoiled by giants such as Ommegang, Great Divide, and Sierra Nevada. This American Double/Imperial IPA weighs in at 8.0% ABV which is on the low end or maybe about average alcohol content for Imperial IPAs

Look-It pours a mildly hazy orange golden amber color with no real head. The lacing is delicate and moist.

Smell-I smell bready yeast and malts with noticeable grapefruit, peach, and apricots. The aroma is not very bitter smelling, but definitely foretells of an enhanced flavor. Let’s see what it tastes like.

Taste-It taste of caramel and bready yeast malts that the nose picked up on, but it is more noticeable than the nose told. Then you get floral and citrus hops that shine through on the tongue obviously and are composed of grapefruit, peach, and apricots. The floral component also has slight clover, but that shows up on the back palate after the medium carbonation fizzles away which is nice timing. The bite of the alcohol is a bit more substantial than I anticipated from a medium level 8% and plays well with the carbonation on the tongue.

Mouthfeel-It is not syrupy which I usually hate, but this one is more of a full-bodied crème type of beer with plenty of hops to give it a well-balanced experience. The coating on the tongue lingers for a long time and is pleasantly bitter but is kissed by peaches and crème, dare I say (LOL!). And lastly, I even feel the fizz after
several moments which is nice.

Overall-This beer started out a bit dull, but quickly turned around into a B+/A- class beer that is able to compete with a large fraction of Imperial IPAs out there, however it isn’t on par with giants such as Rebel Rouser Sam Adams or Rampant IPA by New Belgium. You’ll enjoy this one though. Cheers! (1,889 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Pairs well with cannabis. Will get around to doing full review at some point but it's like whatever maan. Overall very good stuff. Had Galactica with Hoptinum and while I mean no disrespect I preferred the former ifi had to choose. I'm feeling strong 4.25 to light 4.5 on this one. in other words i agree with the B (316 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Had 20 oz. of this bad boy on tap at The BBC in Norwood, MA. It's my first Clown Shoes experience and I liked it a lot.

First, it looked great. It was a nice amber color with a bit of a haze and very alive. The smell made me dive right in. Like all best from my favorites in one glass.

But when it comes down to it I'm a taste and mouth feel guy. I need my taste buds to do a dance when they are introduced to a new brew and I wasn't let down. The other thing that will drive me away from a brew is a watery mouth feel but this offering has nothing to fear.

I really enjoyed it and will be on the hunt for their other selections. (632 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

4.44/5  rDev +12.4%

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy orange amber with a smallish off white head that goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet nutty caramel malt (kind of imperial reddish), with some tropical fruit and resiny hops. It's a little subdued.

The flavor is sweet nutty malts with some ripe fruit and fresh resiny hops. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, seems more like an OK "imperial red" type. Sweet nutty caramel malts with resiny hops and some fruit. (511 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%