2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Galactica - Clown Shoes

GalacticaGalactica

Clown Shoes visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: Neorebel on 04-17-2013)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 686 | Reviews: 133 | Show All Ratings:
TTAmod

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz. bottle made on 3/17/14...so pretty much a month old. This beer was poured into a normal pint glass.

A: Pour hazy, dark orange. There is a lot of yeast sediment present and a high amount of carbonation. Head is thick, tan, and long-lasting. Not great looking, but pretty decent.

S: Smell is very dank and tropical. Lots of herbal/weed type smell with a nice dose of orange and grapefruit. Love the Galaxy hop smell profile.

T: Dankness continues into the taste....one of the more danker beers I've had in awhile. Very herbal. However, there is a nice dose of tropical notes as well some earthy, zesty notes, too. There's a lot of depth here. One of the things I love about Galaxy hops is the amount of depth that the taste has. No bitterness at all. A bit of lemon rind and alcohol on the back end.

M: While it looks overcarbonated, it's pretty much carbonated perfectly. Fairly light body and easy to drink.

O: Pretty good double IPA. The Galaxy hop profile is always nice and complex. Clown Shoes IPAs are generally hit or miss, but I'd say this one is worth a try, especially at a $8/4 pack price point.

04-17-2014 02:09:38 | More by TTAmod
Jimmys

2.38/5  rDev -39.7%

12 oz bottle. bottled on 03/03/14.

A: pretty muddy, a lot of haze on a dark orange body. very frothy slightly off-white head. bubbly. good retention. lots of lacing. don't like this haze though...

S: bright and tropical. a little bit of coconut. not oxidation, but there is a soapy aroma in there. I take that back, this is oxidized. a cardboard blah flavor.

T: not very enjoyable on this front. that cardboard shit flavor becomes more and more prevalent as I keep drinking. grainy. unpleasant.

M: carb is a little low. medium bodied.

D: only a month old and it already turned to complete shit? that's a huge fucking pass from me. reminds me of a homebrew and I mean that in a bad way. really bad. step your shit up clown shoes.

04-16-2014 02:08:05 | More by Jimmys
sommersb

Tennessee

Tasted On: 04-14-2014
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Tulip pint
Purchased: Received from a friend

Appearance is a cloudy and dark copper-colored beer. The head, off-white and tall, shows excellent retention and a pretty good tracing of lace.

Aromas are mostly of hops -- big citrus hoppy smells with tropical fruit notes like pineapple that also lend a little sweetness.

Taste is rich and hoppy. Bitterness is fairly strong, but there is a current of caramel malts to act as a counter-balance. I also can feel some alcohol warming.

The mouthfeel is thick and creamy. The beer finishes with a semi-dry aftertaste of pine and citrus hops, leaving you with a memory of spicy hops.

My first beer from Clown Shoes and I liked it. I like Galaxy hops and this is a good vehicle for them.

Shout out to Craig for grabbing this one for me!

04-15-2014 03:19:49 | More by sommersb
Robjm1987

Connecticut

2.61/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The problem with this beer...it's more of a malt then an IPA. It poured and looked more malty then a pale ale.

Appearance: Nice dark, malty color. (My favorite part of the beer)
Smell: Apricot, figs.
Taste: Malty, hops are weak (to me, i love hoppy beer)
Mouthfeel: Filling
Overall: I would not order this IPA again.

04-13-2014 14:20:09 | More by Robjm1987
Ego

3.9/5  rDev -1.3%

eyes...
nice glowing orange color, sticky white foam cap that bows in the middle, lots of clarity so you can watch the game of bubbles battling in the brew, lacing is superb, a great looking brew

nose...
stinky weed hops, the hops are strong with this one, absolutely delicious hop aroma, damn fresh green goodness is gronking my schnozz, beyond the lovely hop aroma there is a lemony effervescence to balance things out, the guiding light to the heavens is the hops and man does
this bring it correct

taste etc...
carbonation is pretty subtle, mildly prickly, medium of the road bitterness with an interesting almost orange note (but not citric/acidic), the hops are not as aggressive as they are in the nose, if they were this would be a home run, that said this is a solid double to the gap (hey,
baseball season just started cut me some damn slack), this certainly is an easy drinker, the ABV is well hidden and sneaks up on you (even with those big doofy shoes), this really has some heft to it which is definitely the malt carrying the load with the hops holding up the canopy (and a subtle lemon finish)

verdict?
this beer is a bit of a quandary, but one I don't mind finding myself in, while I don't love it, I love lots of parts of it, overall this is a really enjoyable beer, and it definitely is not just another IPA in the crowd, it stands on its own for sure, which is a good thing, definitely worth checking out, glad this brewery's wares are locally available now

Serving type: growler

04-09-2014 04:43:08 | More by Ego
VTEno17

4.14/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: maybe my fav aspect of this beer, poured a beautiful dark, cloudy apricot color.

S: This is not a bright flowery ipa, smells sweet but more like brown sugar or figs. Hints at the malt backbone an I think I detect alcohol.

T: sweet figs like the smell, def smokey tone

M: considering the huge influence of the malt in this beer, it isn't two syrupy and the hops adequately cuts through. Front of the tongue is hit by sharp bitter hops, quickly moves to smooth malty feel mid mouth and finally a little bubbly tingle in the back of your throat, pretty nice actually.

O: I'm impressed, reminds me of sixpoint resin but a bit scaled back. Most IPAs with this much smokey malt leave too much of a syrupy feel, but this is cut nicely by the hops.

04-01-2014 01:12:33 | More by VTEno17
Celtics17

3.8/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Instead of this being a hop bomb, this is a malt bomb. I get some apricot in this one, very dank. I like this IPA, but the malt is a bit much for my liking. Trying to get past the malt is hard. I want more hops, but I didn't come through.

Wouldn't pick this one up again.

03-13-2014 08:17:21 | More by Celtics17
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.26/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass. Pours hazy dark orange, with a two inch sticky white head, that leaves loads of lacing.

Smell is tangerine, pine, grapefruit, earthy hops, and pineapple.

Taste follows the nose very well, very tropical and some nice bitter grapefruit in the finish. Really balanced well.

Body is medium, plenty of life, a little dry, and drinks very easy!

This is a very good beer and also a excellent price.

03-12-2014 21:46:18 | More by SawDog505
Budinetz

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Stella goblet. Bottled on 1/22/14 and drunk on 3/5/14.

A- pours an amber orange color with a white frothy head. Extravagant lacing all around the glass as I sip and a thin filmy head that stays on too of the beer.

S- smells of crystal malt and perhaps carapils. Galaxy hops are a strong presence but a heavy malt base is what makes this brew smell delicious! 8% abv? I can't tell. Nicely done.

T- tastes of bready malts and earthy hops with a slightly bitter, citrus flavor on the finish. A whole lot of flavor packed into this brew, it begins as a sweet succulent malty delight and finishes like a bitter ex girlfriend with a bite of dirty hops. Surprisingly the abv is not present whatsoever!

M- quite prickly on the tongue at first but then finishes off very slick. Leaves the tongue with a dryness for a few minutes, however leaving me salivating after those few minutes. Very drinkable for an 8% abv

O- a well done brew. Very earthy with a drinkable character despite the higher abv. Much unlike other IPAs, this is not ridiculously over hopped nor is it too "hot" in flavor. Overall a delicious brew!

03-05-2014 08:38:35 | More by Budinetz
clayrock81

3.84/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured a orangish gold with decent head and lace patches and ring that stick to glass as I drink. Aroma is strongly hopped with piney and citric notes dominating and touches of caramel and bread malt. Fuller bodied with a decent malt backbone, the bitter hops (that are both slightly oily and sticky) are the star of this beer. Easy to drink, crips and dry finish, not complex but the hops are a treat and a touch of sweetness never hurt anyone. Pretty good hop forward beer that was enjoyable to relax with.

03-02-2014 18:46:48 | More by clayrock81
Oidmoe

4.98/5  rDev +26.1%

I felt compelled to write this review after the rating for Galactica seems to hover below 90 and in my humble opinion it does not do this beer justice.
Appearance is not a factor for me, so I'll skip right to the smell. Deliciously hoppy. Love Galaxy hops. Tropical fruit - mango, guava, perhaps a bit of peach in the background. Pine notes and a hint of resin.
The taste follows the bouquet quite well and leaves nothing to desire.
Mouthfeel is full and extremely satisfying.
Overall this has become my go-to double IPA as it is (thankfully) readily available from my local liquor store. The guys at Clown Shoes have knocked this one out of the park with an incredible balance that makes the beer oh so drinkable while hiding the alcohol really well. I would have it every day if my wife would only let me :)
The only thing I have noticed on this one is that the taste does fade a bit the older the beer gets (a true statement for most IPAs). If you can find it, make sure you stay within 8 weeks of the bottling date to get the most out of the experience.

02-19-2014 01:37:35 | More by Oidmoe
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clown Shoes Galactica has a thin, off-white head, a hazy, bubbly, orange appearance, and a lacing sheen left behind. The aroma is the stereotypical (and, played-out) hop resin/oil/grape fruit rind smell that many parties are becoming so weary of, and the flavor is also the expected, run-of-the-mill grapefruit, white bread, and underwhelming bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, oily, and slick, and Clown Shoes Galactica finishes mostly dry, easy drinking, and not terribly bitter. Alcohol is not detected with this one. Overall, it’s certainly worth trying, but don’t except anything new or exciting.

RJT

02-18-2014 14:14:09 | More by RonaldTheriot
TheFizzinator

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had this on tap at a local brewpub it has a delicious looking color only to be backed up by the awesome citrus smell. I love hop forward beers so this seemed right up my alley. Until I took a sip, the malt backbone is overpowering the hops to my palate. Making this a really sweet almost caramel malt beer. Not a bad thing, but the nose threw me for a loop.

Overall this was an enjoyable drink, just not balanced enough for my liking. But if you're looking for a beer with a nice heavy and sweet maltiness to it, look no further.

02-16-2014 18:28:19 | More by TheFizzinator
hosehead83

3.96/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.
Cloudy, chill-hazed amber/gold in color, with a moderate head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Big whiff of piney, citrussy hops.
Taste-Full-on piney, citrus Galaxy hops, subtle malt backbone just barely provides balance. Great hop flavor throughout.

02-10-2014 22:19:11 | More by hosehead83
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours two and half fingers of head on a hazy darker straw colored body.
The aroma is lots of mango and papaya with grapefruit in the background.
The taste starts with a dry bitterness, mild honey sweetness, then super bitter pine, some tropical fruit to mellow it a bit and finishes on a mild bitter note.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Big bitter, but with a variety of flavors.

02-02-2014 21:20:00 | More by Fatehunter
Beaver13

Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours hazy orange amber with a smallish off white head that goes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is sweet nutty caramel malt (kind of imperial reddish), with some tropical fruit and resiny hops. It's a little subdued.

The flavor is sweet nutty malts with some ripe fruit and fresh resiny hops. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, seems more like an OK "imperial red" type. Sweet nutty caramel malts with resiny hops and some fruit.

01-30-2014 05:58:40 | More by Beaver13
lochef81

3.99/5  rDev +1%

My second experience with Clown Shoes and thus far I am definitely a fan. I almost opted out of this one based upon some of the other reviews but I'm so glad I picked it up anyhow. This ale pours a deep copper color with a slight white head that quickly gives way to a gentle off white lacing. The nose is all hops. Pine and grapefruit and a little grass intermingle beautifully to create a fresh bitter wonderland. The taste further accentuates the aroma, bringing all the beauty of the fresh hop flavors with a roasted malty sweet flavor that balances the beer perfectly. I almost think they could have brewed to a bit higher of an abv and still pulled off a very successful beer. This is an ipa I will return to again and often. Pick up a bottle and you wont regret it. P.s. extra kudos for the bitching 80s cargo van side style graphics.

01-26-2014 05:11:01 | More by lochef81
mjstacker

New Hampshire

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I don't mean to be a hater but this one's not for me. Bottle poured into an IPA glass, bottled on 12/31/13 (23 days old).

The appearance is dark, in my opinion way to dark for an IPA.

The smell is too toasted, not fruity at all.

The taste is all malt, dark and toasted and heavy.

Mouthfeel is fine, good carbonation.

Overall, this beer reminds me of "Zoe" by Maine Beer Co. Which they claim to be an Amber. I'm not a fan of the malty, toasted beers (if that's not obvious by this review). I've tried "Tramp Stamp", "Clementine" and now this and I still can't find a bottle of Clown Shoes worth drinking. I really want to like them since they're so close, it seems like their Stouts do well so I guess I'm on to those.

01-24-2014 00:35:28 | More by mjstacker
guityler83

Wisconsin

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Standard pint class, it poured a finger of off white head made of tiny bubbles with great retention. Coating the sides of the glass as it fell into the liquid. The beer is a copper color, nearly crystal clear, with a constant stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom.

S: Big bold dank pine resin and a toasty bready malt aroma.

T: Strong bitterness on the first sip with the same dank pine hop profile as in the aroma. The bitterness dominates most of the palette, however there is some biscuity, raiseny malt flavors coming through at the end. Neutral fermentation profile.

M: Moderate amount of body and carbonation is middle of the road. A slight alcohol warming sensation as it goes down and a sticky mouth sensation on the tounge.

O: I think the bottle I had was slightly old, so this might not have been the best example of it, but it seemed a bit lacking. It was in the barley wine range given the amount of malt character that was coming through in a slightly sweeter way. Meh.

01-20-2014 00:57:25 | More by guityler83
zac16125

South Carolina

3.26/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Clown Shoes Galactica
12oz bottle into a pint glass
no born on date

A: Pours a caramel color, nearly opaque, with just under 2 fingers width of tan colored head. Head has excellent retention and leaves tons of segmental lacing.

S: Aroma is citrus hops and sweet malts. Not a lot going on here, a rather unremarkable nose.

T: Sweet malts, piney bitterness, citrus rind, grassy. Pretty high degree of bitterness, but not my favorite hop profile.

M/D: Full bodied, appropriate carbonation, very smooth for the style, ABV well masked, its quite filling, drinkability is average.

O: Meh, pretty disappointed in this one. Im a big fan of Clown Shoes line of imperial stouts but this DIPA did not do it for me. It doesnt seem to be the freshest bottle, that may be contributing (although I cant tell for sure cause they dont goddamn bottle date, come on Clown Shoes). Either way, not something Id likely purchase again.

01-18-2014 01:27:35 | More by zac16125
Paincane

Georgia

4.01/5  rDev +1.5%

A: Hazy copper body with tan head.
S: Citrus, toffee and grapefruit notes on aromas. T: Delicious grapefruit, citrus flavors with hefty malt backbone.
M: Medium bodied, smooth, and dry finish. It hides ABV well.
O: Very nice Imperial IPA that is quite tasty and enjoyable.

01-17-2014 19:28:02 | More by Paincane
adamette

3.88/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured from the growler that my wife bought me for Christmas (yup, I said Christmas!) from Ray's in Kent. Of course I want to thank my wife for the first beer that she has purchased me! Poured into my Voodoo Brewery pint glass.

A Light copper translucent body under a medium light brown head that sticks around for about 90 seconds. There was a "ppsst" upon opening the growler so I am pretty sure that it stayed well over the past few weeks in my fridge. 3.5

S Hop centric smell with some sweet malt. Pretty good smell. 4.0

T As suggested by smell, hops are up front but there is a pleasant sweet malt presence as well. The sweetness of of a citrus variety and balances nicely with the moderately high hop profile. This is a very good DIPA. 4.0

M Moderate to high feel, raised up by the hops and the malt. Appropriate to the style. Not too surprising here. 3.0

D/O Drinkability is improved by this balanced DIPA with some bitter hops but also sweet, citrusy malt. I found myself reaching for repeated sips. Overall quite good I think. 4.0

Serving type: growler

01-15-2014 04:16:29 | More by adamette
SupaCelt

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a dusky caramel colour with a decent fat finger of head and moderate carbonation that dances in a lively fashion from a longitude of springs. Surprisingly low clarity is the only detractors.

The nose is rife with caramel maltiness with the hop notes ping ponging through the sweetness. Galaxy dry hopping is evident, yet far from enveloping. Mildly grapefruit like but mostly malt to this reviewer.

The taste is again deeply malty but juicy and citrus laden which cuts the sweetness and makes this beer complex. There is a soft dryness that follows the swallow but it is very drinkable and creates the desire for another mouthful.

The mouthful is medium in body with the significant carbonation serving to lighten a stomp into more of a dance across the palate.

Overall, a decent beer. No overly amazing and notable aspects just good clean, yet heavily dusky, drinking. Worth a glass in any case.

01-12-2014 18:23:11 | More by SupaCelt
JayQue

3.89/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Good DIPA. Nice and bitter but with some balancing malt too. Pours a hazy reddish copper color. It takes a hard pour to get a medium size antique white head, but it stays for a while after you force it. Good thick bands of lacing on the glass.

Good aroma of mostly citrus hops....some grapefruit and tangerine or orange. Taste starts out with citrus hops but there is a bit of oily piney host too. Come caramel hops add balance

Mouthfeel is crisp and bitter with some sweet caramel malts for balance. A little oiliness with the piney hops. All blended together nicely. No alcohol burn or harshness.

A nice DIPA with some bitterness for a hophead and enough balance for everyone else.

01-10-2014 02:06:11 | More by JayQue
CrazyDavros

Australia

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours dark amber with a fading head.
Big resinous hoppy aromas with some peach and piny hops too. Lots of sweet caramel malt underneath.
A similarly hefty malt presence as a flavour too, almost syrupy. Lots of hops as well, mainly resinous pine. Some booze in the sharp, bitter finish. A bit too sweet.
Nice high carbonation.