Galactica - Clown Shoes

Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Neorebel on 04-17-2013

Ratings: 1,320 | Reviews: 207
1.48/5  rDev -62.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Wasn't impressed at all. Almost no hop presence

1.77/5  rDev -55%

I bought a bottle from a large store in RI with a long aisle of bottles that you could mix/match your own six pack. Picked out 6 bottles I had never seen before. Brought home, chilled and tried. I'm sorry, maybe I got a bad bottle, it looked okay, but it tasted like IPA mixed with grass clippings. Sorry, but it was totally horrible.

2.16/5  rDev -45%

Too fruity. Strong pineapple taste

2.41/5  rDev -38.7%

12 oz bottle. bottled on 03/03/14.

A: pretty muddy, a lot of haze on a dark orange body. very frothy slightly off-white head. bubbly. good retention. lots of lacing. don't like this haze though...

S: bright and tropical. a little bit of coconut. not oxidation, but there is a soapy aroma in there. I take that back, this is oxidized. a cardboard blah flavor.

T: not very enjoyable on this front. that cardboard shit flavor becomes more and more prevalent as I keep drinking. grainy. unpleasant.

M: carb is a little low. medium bodied.

D: only a month old and it already turned to complete shit? that's a huge fucking pass from me. reminds me of a homebrew and I mean that in a bad way. really bad. step your shit up clown shoes.

2.66/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The problem with this beer...it's more of a malt then an IPA. It poured and looked more malty then a pale ale.

Appearance: Nice dark, malty color. (My favorite part of the beer)
Smell: Apricot, figs.
Taste: Malty, hops are weak (to me, i love hoppy beer)
Mouthfeel: Filling
Overall: I would not order this IPA again.

2.8/5  rDev -28.8%

Too bitter in my opinion

2.91/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I was happy with this beer, It poured a smei-amber color with a small whitish head.
The aroma was definitely hoppy, but you would know its not a very hoppy bitter type of IPA, just enough. The typical grapefruit and citrus nose came right through during each sip.

I was very surprised just how easy this one was to drink. It was so drinkable, sort of difficult to imagine for a beer with a 8%ABV.

The mouthful was very nice, not over the top, not too big, not too light, just in the middle.
The aftertaste was very good and clean.

The best I can say is that is that I enjoyed this beer, I will have it again My only reservations, would be in the price. There are many other 4packs out there close in prize that I would first gravitate towards.

Sadly, the one I tried was past date.

3.01/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a very dark golden orange color with burnt orange edges and a half finger off-white head that quickly settles into a thin, lasting ring. This beer is really dark and almost brown which is strange for the style. Decent head retention with sporadic spotty lacing left behind.

Earthy, floral hop aroma with a strong onion-y, summit-like presence along with some grassy pine, sweet citrus and a strong sweet malt backbone. Resinous oils with pine sap and grass followed by onion, grapefruit and biscuit. The malt presence is really strong, however, substantially taking away from the hops. Lots of caramel sweetness along with toffee, roasted nut and light roast. The aroma has the potential to be incredible but it's a bit too " balanced" for it's own good in my opinion.

On the fuller end of medium bodied with an even stronger malt character than the nose hinted at. Dry and bitter with a blast of dank, sticky hops up front that linger over the sweeter notes, onion and sweet malt flavors into a bone dry finish. Earthy pine needle, grass and spruce tip followed by subtle sweet citrus/tropical fruit, especially grapefruit and orange peel. Some summit/onion flavor coming through mid-palate but its not as strong the aroma suggests. Toward the finish, there is a huge sweet malt presence that kills off a lot of the interesting hop flavor. Slightly roasted/smokey with some tobacco, caramel sweetness, toffee, hazelnut and biscuit. The high ABV is well masked making this beer pretty easy to drink, but what starts off as a very interesting IPA falls off half way through resulting in an average beer.

3.11/5  rDev -20.9%

Bottle poured into a tulip

A dark amber boy with a two finger off white cap. The cap falls slowly to a thin layer of foam with some clingy lace around the edges.

The nose is of tropical fruits, earth, and caramel malt. Some nice galaxy hop notes from the dry hop, but loads of caramel malt get in the way. This was bottled--what looks like--May 7, so the hops haven't faded all that much to release all these malts.

Caramel malt, earthy hops, spice, and booze. Some blueberry notes, my guess is mosaic is in there somewhere. The hops are really taking a back seat here. Caramel and earthy notes with a touch of hop spice dominate. A burst of alcohol in the finish overtakes a mild bitterness.

Medium body with a bit of a slickness to the feel. Carbonation is on point. 8% is pretty noticeable.

Unless my bottle is older than I can make out, which I do admit, it is a little smudged, this is a remarkably average IPA. The galaxy dry hops are buried under a sturdy malt profile.

3.15/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz bottle purchased from Oak Barrel in Sydney. Bottled on 07/05/2013.

Pours a hazed deep golden, with a slight amber edge coming through. Head forms a solid mesh of large bubbles and some fine, intricate lacing. Carbonation is fine in the fairly dense but fluid body. Looks pretty good.

Nose is oily with hops, but with a solid sweetness that seems to flatten out the impact of the hops, leaving it slightly fruity but empty. A hint of plastic or plaster comes through as well. It's okay, but doesn't really do anything for me.

Taste is a little better, because it does have a relatively pronounced hop bitterness which gives it an edge and a sharpness. Otherwise, it does still have a little of that flat sweetness again, and some peppery characters on the back. Finish is slightly medicinal, which is preferable to the lingering sweetness through the mid-palate.

Feel is a little heavy, but not to the detriment of everything else.

I think it really needs more hop aroma: I suspect this bottle is not at its peak being on the other side of the world from where it was brewed, and it was probably better when it was fresh. But right now, even within the 1-year-of-bottling date they give, it doesn't really stack up.

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Too malty. Not enough hops. Just like their space cake double ipa. Sweet but too malty

3.19/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic glass.

A: Clear, light amber color with over one finger of persistent off-white foam head. Heavy lacing remains in the glass and a few loosely-formed streams of tiny bubbles rise in the column.

S: Ripe tropical fruit and gentle pine--more lychee than fir, to be sure. Some black pepper and grainy cracker is also able to edge its way into the profile, making for a surprisingly balanced display. No alcohol is detected.

T: Begins off-dry, with muted hops aromatics that are piney and earthy before esters-affected crystal malt takes over. Acidity is restrained into the middle where flavors remain malt-focused until sweetness abruptly turns needle-sharp in the presence of developing bitterness. Booziness is a transient question mark during the latter half of the profile, appearing distinct at times and absent during others. The finish is dry by comparison, moderately bitter, and dank.

M: Medium viscosity, slightly resinous and syrupy on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This beer is all IPA from top to bottom; unfortunately it tries to serve as a vessel for the Galaxy cultivar of hops but falls short. While the smell sees fairly well-represented Galaxy hops qualities competing for attention with malt, the flavors could have been derived entirely from Columbus hops. As with most commercially-produced pale ales boasting of Galaxy hops as an ingredient, this beer stumbles badly in its attempt to deliver.

3.26/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle, bottled on 04/12/13 so a little more than 2 months old

A: Light copper/reddish color with a half inch off white head with very little lacing

S: Some citrus and floral notes but also some caramel malt on the nose as well

T: Slight citrus hop quality but more caramel malt flavor than anything else, it may be from it not being very young. Hop flavors seem to have faded. A very slight piney and dank aftertaste.

M: Definitely not heavy, medium bodied. A mild alcohol warmth. Dry.

O: I gave this beer a 3.5 because the hop aroma and flavor was not there, as stated earlier probably from the age of the beer; Too much caramel and not enough hops to my liking for a double.Overall not a bad imperial IPA though.

look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Clown Shoes Galactica
12oz bottle into a pint glass
no born on date

A: Pours a caramel color, nearly opaque, with just under 2 fingers width of tan colored head. Head has excellent retention and leaves tons of segmental lacing.

S: Aroma is citrus hops and sweet malts. Not a lot going on here, a rather unremarkable nose.

T: Sweet malts, piney bitterness, citrus rind, grassy. Pretty high degree of bitterness, but not my favorite hop profile.

M/D: Full bodied, appropriate carbonation, very smooth for the style, ABV well masked, its quite filling, drinkability is average.

O: Meh, pretty disappointed in this one. Im a big fan of Clown Shoes line of imperial stouts but this DIPA did not do it for me. It doesnt seem to be the freshest bottle, that may be contributing (although I cant tell for sure cause they dont goddamn bottle date, come on Clown Shoes). Either way, not something Id likely purchase again.

3.26/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Bottled on date of 05/30/13. So 3 months old, but should still be fairly okay, right?

Poured a cloudy and murky dark amber. Lots of carbonation bubbles up the side of the glass. Head was initially about a finger, thick & creamy on top, large bubbles below. Thinned out to a ring and covering. Lacing was initially good, but faded half way through. This is not looking good.

Nose was all sweet malt. Not even a whiff of hops.

Taste was not unpleasant or funky, which would likely rule out an infection. But was all sweet malts. No hop signature whatsoever.

Mouth was on the minus side of medium.

Overall, this beer really ticked me off. I was looking forward to trying it based on comments in a recent thread. And it does seem to be a well thought of beer. Now, I understand that hop profiles fade over time. I get that. But 3 months to the day means zero hops? I've had many an IPA that was still delicious 3 months after it's bottling date, (though understandably not optimum). This was most certainly not one of them. So do I have to have Galactica within a month of bottling date to enjoy it, and get what it claims to offer? I think not. I'll stick with other offerings thank you very much.

3.38/5  rDev -14%

Good beer, reminiscent of a strong harpoon. Malty cutting through throng hop. Good buzz.

3.39/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

To sweet for me and to malty . Just not my style of an IPA

3.39/5  rDev -13.7%

I was not overwhelmed by this beer to say the least. It looked nice and smelled nice but that is where it ended for me. I had high expectations but it was certainly a more floral type fruity DIPA. Not enough hop profile for me. This was a midweek afternoon beer for me which is a nice mellow sipping type serving. I I kept trying to appreciate throughout the entire beer but in the end it did not work for me.

3.41/5  rDev -13.2%

A - A dark, hazy orangish-brown color.

S - Very sweet and slightly pungent. Butterscotch, caramel, bready aromas mix with light orange and citrus notes.

T - Very smooth. The maltiness comes through more in the nose but still very present in the taste that mixes well with a light bitter, citrusy finish that lingers. Interesting.

M - Very nice. Thicker than normal for an IPA but I think this is due to the heavy malt presence in the beer.

O - Not my favorite. I prefer much more bittet and citrusy flavors and less malt to my IPA but this definitely will be enjoyed by many.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I don't mean to be a hater but this one's not for me. Bottle poured into an IPA glass, bottled on 12/31/13 (23 days old).

The appearance is dark, in my opinion way to dark for an IPA.

The smell is too toasted, not fruity at all.

The taste is all malt, dark and toasted and heavy.

Mouthfeel is fine, good carbonation.

Overall, this beer reminds me of "Zoe" by Maine Beer Co. Which they claim to be an Amber. I'm not a fan of the malty, toasted beers (if that's not obvious by this review). I've tried "Tramp Stamp", "Clementine" and now this and I still can't find a bottle of Clown Shoes worth drinking. I really want to like them since they're so close, it seems like their Stouts do well so I guess I'm on to those.

3.46/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Standard pint class, it poured a finger of off white head made of tiny bubbles with great retention. Coating the sides of the glass as it fell into the liquid. The beer is a copper color, nearly crystal clear, with a constant stream of bubbles coming up from the bottom.

S: Big bold dank pine resin and a toasty bready malt aroma.

T: Strong bitterness on the first sip with the same dank pine hop profile as in the aroma. The bitterness dominates most of the palette, however there is some biscuity, raiseny malt flavors coming through at the end. Neutral fermentation profile.

M: Moderate amount of body and carbonation is middle of the road. A slight alcohol warming sensation as it goes down and a sticky mouth sensation on the tounge.

O: I think the bottle I had was slightly old, so this might not have been the best example of it, but it seemed a bit lacking. It was in the barley wine range given the amount of malt character that was coming through in a slightly sweeter way. Meh.

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Its a little malty hoppy bombastic.....no fruit notes in the hops....but still I have had worse! Had it on tap with lunch.
I was with a friend that hates fruity IPA and prefers the malty hoppy IPA....so I thought this would be right up his alley.....but his opinion was pretty much the same as mine....very drinkable but ehhh

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clown Shoes Galactica has a thin, off-white head, a hazy, bubbly, orange appearance, and a lacing sheen left behind. The aroma is the stereotypical (and, played-out) hop resin/oil/grape fruit rind smell that many parties are becoming so weary of, and the flavor is also the expected, run-of-the-mill grapefruit, white bread, and underwhelming bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium, oily, and slick, and Clown Shoes Galactica finishes mostly dry, easy drinking, and not terribly bitter. Alcohol is not detected with this one. Overall, it’s certainly worth trying, but don’t except anything new or exciting.

RJT

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is orange with one finger head.
Aroma is malt malt malt, bread and malt not appealing whatsoever.
Flavor is pine needles and malt with some apricot. Bready and not what I like in an ipa
Mouthfeel is not that good.
Won't buy this again, I'm sorry I wasted my time with it

Galactica from Clown Shoes