Galactica - Clown Shoes

Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Neorebel on 04-17-2013

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Slightly hazy amber, big head.

Smell: Grapefruit rind.

Taste: Mildly sweet then lots of pine and citrus rind. Very nice balance and very tasty.

Overall: Picked up a four pack and was pleasantly surprised. Nice and hoppy with a good sweet malt base. Pretty decent price but only a four pack. I'll probably pick this one up again in the future.

3.26/5  rDev -17%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Bottled on date of 05/30/13. So 3 months old, but should still be fairly okay, right?

Poured a cloudy and murky dark amber. Lots of carbonation bubbles up the side of the glass. Head was initially about a finger, thick & creamy on top, large bubbles below. Thinned out to a ring and covering. Lacing was initially good, but faded half way through. This is not looking good.

Nose was all sweet malt. Not even a whiff of hops.

Taste was not unpleasant or funky, which would likely rule out an infection. But was all sweet malts. No hop signature whatsoever.

Mouth was on the minus side of medium.

Overall, this beer really ticked me off. I was looking forward to trying it based on comments in a recent thread. And it does seem to be a well thought of beer. Now, I understand that hop profiles fade over time. I get that. But 3 months to the day means zero hops? I've had many an IPA that was still delicious 3 months after it's bottling date, (though understandably not optimum). This was most certainly not one of them. So do I have to have Galactica within a month of bottling date to enjoy it, and get what it claims to offer? I think not. I'll stick with other offerings thank you very much.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Pours a beautiful dark orange with a two-finger white foamy head.

S - Sweet tropical fruits - pineapple, mango, & guava - and caramel malts.

T - Starts off sweet with a good amount of caramel malts. Nice amount of tropical fruits and resinous hops in the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Dry and crisp finish.

O - A very malt forward DIPA with a nice hop punch. Recommended.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.97/5  rDev +1%

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Galactica last week for $2.69 at The Lager Mill. I'm still trying to get familiar with the Clown Shoes lineup and I'm interested to see how this DIPA stacks up, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks a little cheesy, but it's still fairly eye catching. It poured a murky orange color that took on a dark orange and copper like color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left lots of nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very good looking DIPA, I really like the way it looks, from the color to the head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of hops, there's some herbal hops in the background followed by some piney aromas with the citrus hops seeming to stick out the most imparting a light mango aroma with some nice grapefruit aromas sticking out the most. Up next comes some doughy yeast followed by some grainy and bready malt aromas The aroma was pretty good and it had good balance for the style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops, it still has the herbal, piney, and citrus hop aspect that I got in the aroma with the citrus hop stealing the show and imparting some nice grapefruit flavors. Up next comes a lighter amount of grainy and bready malt flavors with a slight bit of doughy yeast in the background. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness with with a pretty hoppy aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting DIPA and I liked the hop profile.

M- Pretty smooth for the style, slightly crisp, a little oily, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it was a little on the oily side.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good and solid example of the style, it wasn't as bitter as most DIPA's, but it still had all the hop flavors that I expect from the style and the lower amount of bitterness helped make this pretty drinkable for the style. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, slightly refeshing, not too filling, and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these no problem, the drinkability caught me a little off guard. What I liked the most about this beer was the taste and drinkability, but I also though that the appearance was pretty good. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was a little too oily for my liking, and that's the only thing that I would change about this beer. I would buy this beer again when looking for a nice and easy drinking DIPA, and I think this would be a great beer to introduce someone to the style. I would recommend it to anybody who likes hoppy beers. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, it had a nice hop profile with an added bonus of good drinkability, it may not be the most intense or hoppy DIPA, but I thought it was pretty satisfying and I enjoyed drinking it. It's not my favorite DIPA, but I think it's still pretty good. So far this my favorite beer from Clown shoes, nice work guys. this was a pretty enjoyable DIPA.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

So is this a big IPA or a small DIPA? I'm torn as it seems to cover both at different times.
Enjoyable and pleasing, but unremarkable hop aroma with a firm backing of malt with some sweetness. Hops are American, fruity, citrus and some soft and not distracting hop oils.
Small but steady tan like head. Cloudy and golden orange amber. Some lacing.
Bigness shows more here than in the previous spots. Thicker than an IPA. Hops oils more apparent and pushes without going to unpleasant. Hops lay on the finish, but the bitterness while clearly apparent is not overly biting. Straight out hop flavors are background compared to the oil flavors. Lacks the nice fresh hop flavors some hold. Firm malt backing, but not pushing any form of excessive sweetness.
Full feel and carbonated on the lighter and is somewhat soft.
At a smaller abv and reduced bittereness is a more drinkable DIPA. Flavors are not distinct but okay for style.

Galactica from Clown Shoes