Crunkle Sam - Clown Shoes

American Barleywine |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 05-09-2013

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Chill hazed red colored beer with a remarkably tall tan colored head.

Smells is strong aged hop and strong syrupy, malt with a spicy scent somewhere between sandal wood and cinnamon. Molasses and hints of lemon pepper and ginger, smells a lot like Pfeffernüsse cookie.

Starts out malty and slightly fruity with a little sugar cookie to it. Bittersweet flavor with a hint of cinnamon. Alcohol is warming in the chest. Some strong tea but mostly toffee as a flavor. Alcohol not detected this one can sneak up on you.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a good fairly mild flavored Barleywine.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

from 22 oz bomber
A-pours a slight hazed chestnut color with a khaki 2 finger head that recedes to reveals nice lacing and cap
S-dank hop smell with toffee and caramel some spice with honey and light fruits
T- follows the nose citra dank hops (so good) blend with malts and spice and fruit a sweet taste with some heat from the ABV
M- a touch hot with smooth malts nice citrus dank hops medium carbonation
O- great BW love the citra its dank and brooding but also sweet and creamy

3.95/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

22oz bottle from Hop City (Atlanta, GA). 10.99. Bottled 06/12/13. Served in a Clown Shoes snifter.

Pours a deep but translucent amber russet with a anout a finger and a half of ecrue head. That head really lingers and leaves small spots of lace.

Smells of soft floral, earthy and citrus hops with sweet malty notes of caramel, bread and brown sugar.

Taste is a nice mix of tangerine, floral and piney hops with caramel, sweet bread, brown sugar and a healthy dose of booze. It leans a tad hot overall but I like the flavors.

Slick medium heavy feel with moderate carbonation. A little alcohol cooling effect. Caramel and hops in the finish.

Clown Shoes' first barleywine is darn good. There's a nice balance of hop presence and malty goodness. I may have to procure another to revisit in a couple years.

3.99/5  rDev +2%

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Crunkle Sam a couple weeks ago for $11.29 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for something new and different to try and an American Barleywine brewed with Citra hops sounded pretty interesting and I thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks pretty good, what's not to like about a pimped out Uncle Sam and in typical Clown Shoes fashion it's definitely eye catching. It poured a pretty nice crimson/orange color that took on more of a ruby red color when held to the light with three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color was nice and unique with the head and lacing being very good especially for an 11% Barleywine.

S- The aroma starts off with a pretty high amount of sweetness that reminded me of candied sugar and it's followed by lots of sweet and bready malts with some nice caramel and toffee aromas coming through. Up next comes the citra hops that impart that signature citrus fruit aromas that show up just enough and imparts some nice orange and pineapple like aromas with a light amount of spicy hop aromas in the background along with a little bit of noticeable alcohol. This beer has a pretty good aroma, it's true to style and citra hops seems to compliment the caramel and toffee like Barleywine aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a very high amount of medium sweetness that bordered on a high amount of sweetness and was followed by loads of sweet malts imparting some nice caramel and toffee like flavors with a noticeable amount of alcohol that's slightly warming. Up next comes the citra hops that impart a nice orange rind like flavor with some spicy hops in the background and a higher amount of medium bitterness that borders on being highly bitter with some sweet caramel malt and citrus rind like flavors in the aftertaste. This is a pretty good tasting beer, but I think it would be even better if the citra hops showed up as much as they did in the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth for the style, chewy, filling, pretty sticky, rich, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. I thought the mouthfeel was pretty nice, it worked well with this beer, but I wish it was a little less sticky.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and I thought it was a very nice example of an American Barleywine, it had all the aspects that I look for in the style and I thought the citra hops were a nice touch and they worked well with this beer, I even think more citra hops would make this beer even better, but it may make it more DIPA like and as it stands now it's pretty easy to tell this is an American Barleywine. This beer had good drinkability, especially for the style, the 11% didn't show up as much as I expected and even with the higher bitterness it still remained pretty drinkable and I think a bomber to myself would be a good amount and I can't say that about a lot of American Barleywines. What I like the most about this beer was the how true to style it was, this is a pretty nice example of what an American Barleywine is all about and I thought the drinkability was pretty good too. What I like the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad and it was pretty true to style, but it was just a little too sticky for me. I would buy this beer again, since it's a little heavy on the hops I don't think this would be the type of beer I would cellar, but if I could find it fairly fresh and was in the mood for the style I'm pretty sure I would get it, but it is a little pricey. I would recommend this to anyone who likes hoppier Barleywines. All in all I was happy with this beer, I was on the fence about this brewery but the more of their big bottles i try the more I start to like this them. They had a good idea to add citra hops to Barleywine while keeping it recognizable as a Barleywine and not a DIPA. Good job guys, I'll have to be on the look out for more of your big bottles to try.

Crunkle Sam from Clown Shoes