Follow our progress ...

Added by MistahBeah on 09-11-2013

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 45 | Ratings: 303
4.66/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Clown Shoes has been knocking it out of the park lately. I just enjoyed a bottle of 'Hammer of the Holy,' which is a triumph of a beer, aged in rum barrels. Now, I am on to something equally experimental - this time it's an Imperial Stout flavored with Chai tea, ginger, cardamom, cinnamon and vanilla. I have grown to trust Clown Shoes when it comes to anything left of center, which is something I might be hard pressed to say in regards to even some of the breweries I have been drinking for years longer.

The Berserker is as black as they come, revealing only the slightest oily brown tint when held directly in front of the light. A light brown head forms initially around the height of 1/4" then it fades to a frothy ring with wispy remnants in the center. Great lacing on the glass, and it's difficult to judge any carbonation level present. Quite right for the style and ABV.

If the aroma is an accurate preview of how this stout will taste, I am in for a treat! I'm very pleased to notice immediately that the various unorthodox flavors added are blending in perfectly in balance with the stout. I am getting it all - the cinnamon and spice, ginger, jasmine, vanilla, and roasted coffee beans. There's also something in here that reminds me of a good whiff of some pumpkin stout.

Taste: Okay here it comes... I am completely floored. There's so much going on, so much that's right about all this. I am so glad I have the rest of the bomber left to drink after this review! Now, I'm going to use a metaphor for a sec that I find completely appropriate... I did not pick up a ton of chocolate in the aroma, but boy do I ever in the taste! In fact, I am picturing a chocolate truffle melting in my mouth right now. This brew has a soft mouth feel, like melting milk chocolate, yet after that initial flavor, we reach the smaller center which contains the spiced goodness. Things get crisp for a moment. For an instant, the flavors reminiscent of nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger take center stage, then they fade blissfully into the chocolatey whole that is the foundation of this beer.

I kid you not, I am almost getting chills during the finish. Somehow, this gradual fade plays me a greatest hits of what I just tasted a few seconds ago. Velvety would be an understatement for the mouth feel... In no way feel like I am drinking a 10% ABV beer, yet it coats the mouth so fully. Be careful everyone! I have to bring up another comparison in this review: This beverage succeeds in the same manner as good Belgian stouts do. We all want the best of both worlds right? In the same way we enjoy smoky, roasty flavors coupled with sweet fruit esters and Belgian yeasts, I am currently enjoying a chocolate stout infused with spiced from India.

Overall - to those who shy away from anything like this: It's good, like the first time someone made you try chocolate covered pretzels. It just works. Trust me. Definitely a concoction I will be enjoying again and again!

4.63/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lightly chilled 22 oz bomber into 33 cl tulips.

Look- Deep brown, opaque. Finger and a half of graham cracker-colored head, falls quickly leaving a ring of khaki suds around the edge of the glass. Decent lacing for 10%.

Smell- Mocha and pepper, light lemon. Mace and cardamom...? Check the bottle and well, that teaches me. Didn't realize this was a spiced beer- way to read the label. Second take with that known, and the chai influence is unmistakable- a little nutty, savory spices, light sweetness. It works.

Taste- Mellow, savory, spices more apparent but not overbearing. Nice milk chocolate-chai flavor, some coffee, vanilla bean, nice roasty bite on the finish. Reminds me of a stout version of a dirty chai. Light sweetness, but balanced. Excellent.

Mouthfeel- Exceptionally creamy, medium-full body, soft carbonation. Full but not sticky, roasty finish with enough astringency from the booze and dark roasts to keep it in check. Speaking of booze, it's a big beer, but not abrasive or sharp at all. 10% definitely kept in check. Drinks like a mocha milkshake.

Overall- Very nice, and grows on me as I sip. The Chocolate Sombrero (which the bottle indicates was the precursor to this) was a bit aggressive for my tastes, but this one is spot-on. I must admit I am a big fan of chai in general, so perhaps I'm biased, but for a chai-spiced imperial stout this is spot on and I really can't imagine this getting much better. I'll definitely pick this up again if I see it.

4.36/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance -opaque black, a solid sticky finger of mocha foam. Good lacing all around.

Aroma - ginger and roasted malt are the first things I pick up, chai tea added in after some set up, making for some cola notes. Reminds me of the Anchor Christmas beers.

Taste - the roasted malts play out bigger than the smell lets on. A touch of char as the vanilla and chai blend in. The ginger supports the chai, not as prominent as I thought it might get. Good blend of flavors, complementing the basic stout flavor without trying to take it over. The swallow is a touch fruity from the chai and ginger, going dry and warming on the finish. Very tasty and easy drinking.

Mouthfeel - fluffy crispness, sturdy body, sticky in the mouth, making for a long finish.

Overall - excellent sipper, one to remember for a tasting.

4.31/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep black body with a thin beige head. The scent is very rich in spices, such as cinnamon and nutmeg, along with ginger, and some other Indian tones. The taste is again very nice and spicy with the inclusion of some well-roasted malt aromas, in particular, a faint chocolate flavour. The overall feel is quite nice and warm, with a nice spiciness kicking around long after the fact. Overall it's a very nice beer, and certainly one I would have again in any cases where it might match well.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%

Don't know why its described as India style, a pretty bitter brew but definitely more imperial stout than black ipa. Pitch black with a brown head, aroma of chestnuts vanilla touches of spice box. The flavor itself is very rich with lots of dark cocoa flavor. Super creamy body with subtle notes of licorice vanilla and spice, some great from spicy hops on the back end, no astringencies or acidity. Well blended creamy flavors with a proper balance between sweet and bitter. A great beer with great flavors.

4.22/5  rDev +9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Dark brown, nearly black pour with a quickly fading one finger caramel-colored head with nice lacing. The nose is bold, spicy, and complex with hints of ginger, cinnamon, dark chocolate, cardamom, chai tea, licorice, espresso, and vanilla bean. The taste mirrors the nose with an unbelievable array of spices that rivals any Winter Warmer or Christmas beer I've tasted. Ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom dominate along with hints of cocoa, cloves, chai, chocolate, espresso, cola, vanilla, and some subtle soy sauce. The mouthfeel is light bodied for a stout and slightly fizzy with a bit of a mouth-coating finish. The 10% ABV was nowhere to be found. Overall, this is a very unique and flavorful beer. Extremely rich and perfect for the holidays!

4.21/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice glass. Bottled on 07/25/13.

Appearance: Pours an oily black with a moderate amount of carbonation. About one finger of tan head which settles into a thin creamy layer. Leaves a decent amount of creamy lacing.

Smell: A roasty and fairly sweet chocolate malt forward aroma with a big presence of spices. Dark roasted barley malts with hints of dark chocolate, coffee, burnt toast, biscuit, grains, nuts, yeast, vanilla, and slight smoke. Huge mix of spices with a scent of ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and slight nutmeg. Tea like scent from the spices. Sweet hints of molasses and some anise spice. Subtle dark fruit hints of raisin, plum, fig, and cherry. Subtle earthy hops in the background. A pretty good smell.

Taste: Like the aroma, a roasty and tea like stout taste with a big presence of chocolate and spices. Dark roasted barley malts with a good taste of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, burnt toast, vanilla, biscuit, yeast, grains, nuts, and smoke. Big mix of spices giving a Chai tea like taste. Notes of ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Also some anise spice. Sweet taste of burnt molasses. Dark fruit undertones of raisin, dark cherry, plum, dates, and fig. Light presence of earthy hops in the background.

Mouthfeel: Body is on the heavier side of medium. Carbonation is moderate. Feel is creamy, silky, spicy, and fairly smooth. Alcohol is hidden well.

Overall: A pretty interesting and good take on a Imperial Stout. Good balance of roasty malt notes and spices.

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 07/29/15. I really wished they would do a better job of dating their bottles as it was hard to find. Nice black stout with a finger of dense head that settled to a thin cap. Moderate amount of lacing is left down the glass. Aroma of ginger, cinnamon, and cardamom compliments the dark malt aromas of chocolate and roasted malt. A little bit of alcohol in the nose as well. It all melds well together in the flavor. The spices do not overpower the base stout which is a good stout in its own right. Mild roasted malt flavors with notes of mocha and a little smoke. The tea and vanilla make an appearance before the cinnamon and cardamom takes over in the finish. Mild alcohol heat and flavor to end things. Big bold body with mild carbonation that gives this beer a nice creamy feel without being clingy.

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%

22 ounce bottle into snifter, bottled on 7/25/2013. Pours fairly pitch black color with a 1 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, caramel, light coffee, cinnamon, clove, ginger, vanilla, nutmeg, and roast/herbal earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt and spice notes; with good strength. Taste of big chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, caramel, light coffee, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, light vanilla, and herbal/roasted earthiness. Minimal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, toast, dark bread, light coffee, caramel, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, light vanilla, and herbal/roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance, robustness, and complexity of dark/roasted malt and spice flavors; with a great malt/spice balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a moderately creamy, slick, and lightly chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent spiced imperial stout! All around great complexity and balance of dark/roasted malt and spice flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Completely black with a two and a half finger head, light brown in color. Retention is long-lasting.

Big cardamom and ginger notes with secondary milk chocolate, chai latte, cinnamon, and roastiness. Vanilla is soft and melts right into the chocolate/chai combination. Slight bitterness is there, too, with some more herbal complexity. Light coffee and cream. Big nose without big alcohol.

Creamy malts come out with big milk and dark chocolate notes. Earthy spices wax exotic. Vanilla is bigger now with lots of cardamom and chai. Alcohol burn, cinnamon, and ginger are supporting roles. Milky body matches the milky chocolate. Great warmth. Silken, but only medium-bodied. Carbonation feels just right. I really appreciate that smoothness.

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle: This bottle from Clown shoes shows a rocking band, and I appreciate a great bottle design especially when I still have eyes to see it, awesome job guys.

Appearance: Black as night, not see through, with a finger and a half head.

Smell: Fresh chocolate like the smell of an Easter morning as a young lad.

Taste: I don't really taste all the craziness listed on the label but its good so fuck it. Chocolate and not very bitter.

Mouth fell: Nice, full bodied.

Overall; I like this beer, its chocolate, its a stout and with an ABV of 10% it will kick that skinny ass of yours.

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Made this beer my 2,000th review! Paid $8.99 for the single a very fair price for a chai flavored RIS.

A - Man these guys make a great looking RIS! Deep dark blackness very thick looking RIS with a 1/2 inch mocha head that sticks around for a bit. Great lacing.
S - Smells mostly of ginger and cinnamon very Christmas like! Mild roasts and bitter chocolate smells. Hopefully its more vanilla based in the taste.
T - I can taste the cardamom tea like flavors. Not as sweet as I expected but it does have a vanilla extract taste. Ginger root and cinnamon overdose kind of buries any roast or chocolate taste one would expect is a RIS. Very unique Imperial Stout.
M - A bit thinner than I expected but most Clown Shoes Imperial stouts are like that. Medium bodied and kind of chewy.

Overall I can dig the originality of this beer. They accomplished what they put out to do make a Christmas spice like RIS. Worth picking up!

4.03/5  rDev +4.1%

355ml bottle poured into tulip 19/12/15

A black liquid with a deep edge, just a short lived finger of foam hangs around for a few sips leaving a single partial ring, some color and wide legs I don't often see at 10%

S ginger, cinnamon, vanilla, licorice root, cardamon, coco, lemon peel, I'm getting chai but only after reading it on the label, lots of cola and root beer

T Reminds me of a cola stout mix, still heaps of spice, a little chocolate syrup I didn't smell, harder to pick out individual notes

M silky upon entry, a little airy from the bubbles, slick in the mouth but a little sticky on the lips, just a little warming chili like heat, a mess of spice linger

O something different and a bit confusing at times but everything seems to work together fairly well

I was under the impression this didn't have any "Mexican" influence but I get a very faint warming spice, maybe I'm finally losing it, oh well I had a good run

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle from Sprayberry Bottle Shop (Marietta, GA). 10.99. Bottled 7/24/13. Served in a Clown Shoes snifter.

Pours a dark near-black, cola brown wth a finger and a half tan head. The froth fades fairly quickly without leaving much lace.

Smells of cinnamon, chai tea, vanilla and chocolate.

A whole lot of spice up front. Cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, bittersweet dark chocolate, dark fruit skins, burnt coffee and just a hint of vanilla. Only a light whisper from that 10% alcohol, having blended in with the bold flavors.

Medium , semi creamy body with moderate carbonation. Floral cinnamon

A tasty treatment to Chocolate Sombrero. Still a good bit of bitter dark chocolate with nice chai accents. Glad to have another to enjoy again soon.

4.02/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance - Pours a cola brown with a finger of bubbly tan head.

Smell - Roasted malts, chai spices (cardamom, cinnamon, clove, ginger, nutmeg), hint of vanilla and hint of earthy hops.

Taste - Roasted malts followed by the chai spices of cardamom, cinnamon, clove, ginger, and nutmeg). The hint of vanilla and earthy hops help to finish the brew off.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with low to moderate carbonation. Finishes smooth with the chai spices lingering.

Overall - A spiced stout that displays the Indian aromas to a tee. I feel that the taste could be a little more amped up with the Indian spices.

After Blaecorn Unidragon and Chocolate Sombrero which were both fantastic stouts, my expectations for my next dark beer from Clown Shoes was high, and I was not disappointed. Pours deep and dark, with some faint notes of khaki in the light. Very little head that dissipates quickly leaving behind the slick, black oily goodness. Smell is sweet molasses, some ginger and chocolate. Smell could be a little more vivacious if I'm nitpicking. You can definitely taste some Indian influences in the taste: faint curry and coconut on top of the more traditional chocolates and coffees. On the sweet side, but absolutely no booze comes through. Feel is very smooth and creamy, giving it a coconut-milk like texture that adds to the Indian / curry notes. Overall, very good Imperial Stout with some interesting herbal and spice notes.

3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

I picked up a bottle of Clown Shoes Bombay Berserker a couple days ago for $11.49 at The lager Mill. I was looking for a new bomber to try and since I haven't been disappointed with any of the bombers I have tried from Clown Shoes I thought I would give this one a try, I'm interested to see how the chai works in this beer, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, but it might just be one of my least favorite Clown Shoes label, it's not that eye catching, but i think the description would be. It poured a nice black color that took more of a really dark brown color when held to the light with two fingers worth of light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with some spices seeming to show up first with some cinnamon and cardamon with some ginger seeming to stick out a little more. Up next comes a big chocolate aroma that has a very cocoa like aspect to it with a slight amount of vanilla and some roasted malt aromas with a slight alcohol prescience that is pretty much covered up by the chocolate. Right at the end I get a light chai tea aroma. This beer had a pretty good aroma, I liked how most the ingredients listed showed up in the taste.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the spices being the first to show up and they impart all those spices that I got in the aroma with the ginger seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes loads of chocolate that retain that nice cocoa aspect and there's a slight bit of vanilla in the background along with some roasted malt flavors. On the finish comes a pretty noticeable Chai tea flavor that worked well with this beer and there was a fairly light amount of bitterness with the alcohol being hidden well and it had a chocolate and chai tea like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the ingredients were represented well and they worked together better then I expected.

M- Fairly smooth, creamy, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and good example of a spiced stout, the chocolate really helps balance out all those spices and the chai tea finish works better then I thought it was going to. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, a little creamy, a little rich, not as filling as I expected, the alcohol was well hidden and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I think half a bottle is a good amount for me, It might start to wear on me after that. What I liked the most about this beer was the complexity, all those different ingredients added many layers to the taste and aroma of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there wasn't anything I disliked or would change about this beer, nothing felt out of place. I would buy this beer again, I don't think I'll go back and grab a couple more right now because I don't think it will age well but if they brew it again I might get one. I would recommend this to anyone who likes spiced stouts. All in all I was happy with this beer, it delivered what I hoped it would and all the different aspects of it turned out to work well together. Good job guys, I enjoyed this unique stout.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Yowzers. This is a different beer, to be sure! It looks and smells great in the glass - deep mahogany, with a creamy head that rims the glass as it disappears. The smell and taste are full of spices - Marco Polo would be proud! The cinnamon, nutmeg and faint curry heat all mesh nicely with the stout base. This is not something I would actively seek again, but I'm glad I tried it once.

3.96/5  rDev +2.3%

Thanks to LiverBelly for sharing this one at drewone's tasting.

Pours an almost opaque super dark crimson-brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, vanilla, and Indian and Thai spice aromas. Taste is much the same with vanilla, cinnamon, and spice flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty and spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer with a nice spice presence that makes this one quite tasty.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Clown Shoes Bombay Berzerker. Indian-style Chocolate Stout. Relative to their Chocolate Sombrero. Love the Clerks quote. Poured into a snifter

Dark. Nearly completely black. Some chestnut hues around the edges when held up to light. A nice bubbly beige head after an aggressive pour. Good retention. Patchy lacing. Zero visible carbonation

Aroma is of sweet milk chocolate. Some booze shines through. Then the chai spices kick in. Big notes of vanilla and ginger. More subdued are earthy cinnamon and cardamon. More booze

Decadent chocolate reigns supreme here. I've let this sit for about an hour through the course of drinking and it really turns into a rich chocolatey treat as it warms. Vanilla and sweet ginger follow the chocolate. Earthy cinnamon gives this a bittering aspect before the chocolate becomes cloying. Boozey notes throughout

Mouthfeel is silken-smooth. No carbonation. Full. The only thing that saves it from feeling like chocolate milk is the bite of booze and spice, which gives this a nice warming sensation.

A great dessert beer though no doubt too sweet for some. Much sweeter than Chocolate Sombrero. A nice beer to go with pumpkin season without being a pumpkin beer itself. I really enjoyed it, but would probably pick up Chocolate Sombrero or, better yet, Vampire Slayer before revisiting. A solid stout nonetheless

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottled On 08/08/13

A: Pours a near pitch black color with a fingers worth of tan head that quickly fades down to almost nothing but a few bubbles

S: Roasted malts with the advertised chai tea spices. Cinnamon and cardamom stand out the most, but the ginger and vanilla are also present. Dark chocolate in there as well

T: Follows the nose, but the cinnamon and cardamom are a bit more subdued. Starts off with the roasted malts,dark chocolate, cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger. Gets a hint of sweetness from the vanilla shortly afterwards. Finishes with a little bit more of the cinnamon and a light char

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation

O: Quite a bit of cinnamon throughout this brew, so be prepared for that. I think it makes a nice compliment to the roasted malts. Drinkable overall for a 10% imperial stout. Worthwhile if you've enjoyed the stouts from CS so far

3.89/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle, day 21 of the Craft Beer Advent Calendar - what does 'Indian' style mean? IPA, or the the spices in chai? Guess it's time to find out.

This beer pours a very dark, solid brown colour, with prominent orange basal highlights, and one fat finger of puffy, loosely foamy, and bubbly tan head, which leaves a few instances of approaching sandstorm lace around the glass as it quickly dissolves into the ether.

It smells of metallic cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, star anise, cola syrup, grainy caramel malt, bittersweet cocoa, and plain earthy, leafy, and weedy hop bitters. The taste is bready and doughy caramel malt, toffee candies, a muddled cup o' chai spice - maybe some licorice and ginger stand out - dark chocolate wafers, more concentrated Vanilla Coke sweetness, a twinge of pepper heat, and some very soft earthy and leafy hoppiness.

The bubbles are fairly sedate in their underwhelming and barely supportive frothiness, the body a solid medium weight, and pretty smooth, with a wee creaminess there from the get-go, and surprisingly little interference from the spice. It finishes sweet, but duly moderated from all sides - spice, heat, and hop providing the muscle.

Overall, a pleasantly spiced (I get it now - read the really small print on the label beforehand) Imperial Stout, so much so that some of the gravitas of the underlying beer seems lost, but not enough to really matter. Quality sipping, is what I'm taking from this - that, and a growing yen for some buffet takeout from my favourite local curry house.

3.89/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Day 21 of the Craft Beer Advent Calendar.

L: Dark brown, almost black, with a nice brown head that leaves some nice lacing down the side.

S: Nutmeg chocolate smell with a slight hoppy smell.

T: Strong nutmeg taste almost reminds me of a pumpkin beer, but this one has a lot more chocolate in place of the pumpkin.

F: Heavy body feel with a nice aftertaste.

O: A pretty good beer from this Calander would defiantly have this one again.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

appearance: Very dark imp stout, nearly opaque. Tan sparse head with some sparse lacing. Cola highlights round the edges when held to light. Yep, looks like an imp stout.
smell: Redolent with aromatic spice. Cardamom is prominent. Interesting for sure.
taste: Taste is more balanced than the nose. Aromatic spices up front but the imp stout roastiness makes an appearance in a good way.
overall: nice experiment. Enjoying this.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this in a shaker pint. Reviewed from notes.

Dark brown, almost black body, Bombay manages a thin cap of maple colored foam.

Spiced is right! The bouquet on this beer is all over the place! There is definitely more "generic" stout flares, like dark chocolate, some roast, a bit of boozy heat, a bit leathery. Then you also have the spices, which I suppose you could interpret as chai: cinnamon, lots of cinnamon, some ginger, and a little vanilla. That is fun!

The dark chocolate and roasty qualities hit the palate up front. Letting the beer languish at mid-palate though, that is where the fun stuff starts to happen. Again, this is still pretty strong with the booze character and the dark chocolate, but there is a nice spicing, not quite as strong as the nose was. Again there is cinnamon, some ginger, and even a bit of sugary dark fruits hitting. It finishes a little too boozy for me, but at least that spicing is still hanging on.

Pretty good feel on this beer, it is slightly sticky and has some good heft to it. It is big enough to handle the spicing going on.

This dark chocolatey, roasty stout base swirls in well with the spiced flavors of cinnamon and ginger. I wish the spicing was bigger on the palate, but the fig-like sweetness helps make up for it. And man, maybe it is just me, but this ran a little hotter than I prefer. Still, this was a fun beer!

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast