Flemish Red Ale Grand Cru - Brouwerij Strubbe

Flemish Red Ale Grand CruFlemish Red Ale Grand Cru

good

Brouwerij Strubbe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: sacfly on 02-18-2006)

GraduatedCashew, Aug 29, 2013

AaronOp, Aug 21, 2013

LHLHLH, Aug 18, 2013

MarioM, Aug 11, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

micropale, Aug 01, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Reddish-light brown color with yellow-brown hues that has a slightly hazy appearance. Light tan head with moderate- retention. Moderate lacing in the glass.

Citrus, cheese rind, red wine vinegar, saddle leather, over-ripe peach, chocolate malt and charcoal.

Nice tart palate, with brown bread, red grapefruit, dog hair, warm saddle leather, ginger snaps and caramel hard candies.

Medium bodied with a nice balance in the carbonation. The sourness is nicely on display but is moderated in the beer to make it approachable as a sour.

Funky, but not out of control. Nice balance makes for an interesting and enjoyable beer.

Libationguy, Jul 05, 2013

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

jwps214, Mar 16, 2013

Phillyz, Mar 13, 2013
2.33/5  rDev -37.7%

This was not a beer for me.

Served this beer in a chilled pint glass.

Appearance (4) - Beer had a lot of head and a dark red color.

Smell (2.5) - Smell of citrus mostly, but had an off smell for me like vinegar.

Taste (2) - The citrus tones in the beer were good, but the vinegar taste did not agree with me. Unfortunately, I had to choke this beer down. Too sour for my liking.

Mouthfeel (3.25) - Good feel, but nothing spectacular. Gave me a feeling like dry white wine.

Overall (2) - The sourness of the beer didn't agree with me, but the citrus flavors were good.

nsnd, Mar 12, 2013

dipso123, Feb 22, 2013

hayesjw, Feb 20, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pourd from a 11.2 oz bottle to a chimay challice

First off this is my verry first sour and I love sour stuff so I been looking for the sour style for a wile

A: pours a dark brown readish color almost looks like mister pibb soda verry minn head that kinda lingers and lilttle laceing that sticks around nice apperance

S:smells fruity and acidic.I smell cherries the most with a little vinager smell

T:wow!!! This is my first sour and damn is it sour and some people say it is not that sour. I taste sweet wine,vinager,cherries, and the more I drink the more it mellows out
And I start tasting an oaky flavor frm the ageing

M:verry dry like a cab wine

Overall: well for being my first sour I am surprized about how sour it is and I thought I would of liked it more but its overly sweet the more I drink the better it gets far frm a bad beer but I think I need to get more acquainted with the sour type of beers

Live life drink beer!!!:-)

dertyd, Feb 16, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

poured a dark brown with minimal head.... smell seems a tad vinegar-y but i dont know what to expect from this. it says sour is a characteristic of the flanders red ale so . . . . . . let's see!
oh yeah. that was definitely a vinegar i smelled... i like these 'tarts'. they dont always mix with the others i try in an evening, but i like 'em. fruity, vinegar-y, tart as in an over-ripened cherry.... but delicious!
overall... not much lacing on the glass- seems a bit thin, but flavor is there. i like the sourness of it and i like the general style of these brews. often wonder why no american brewer attempts a 'sour' . . . . do americans just not 'get into' these types of beers? i love 'em!

pkalix, Feb 16, 2013

rheimbro, Feb 12, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +27%

TheAngryBurrito, Feb 10, 2013
4.09/5  rDev +9.4%

Served from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance- Quite brownish/grey with very little bubbly head that left quickly leaving some nice lacing behind. Quite dark, can't see through it.

Smell- Rich dark fruits. Light vinegary notes. Yeasty earthyness.

Taste- Some cherry and raspberry. Slight boozeyness. Light tartness. Oaky notes. Nice. Sweet.

Mouthfeel- Good carbonation. Medium bodied. Smooth.

Overall- This is a good Flanders with a sweeter approach. I like my Flanders to be a little more tart, but this is solid.

Seanniek91, Jan 30, 2013