Flemish Red Ale Grand Cru - Brouwerij Strubbe

Brouwerij Strubbe visit their website

Flanders Red Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: sacfly on 02-18-2006

2.37/5  rDev -37%

This was not a beer for me.

Served this beer in a chilled pint glass.

Appearance (4) - Beer had a lot of head and a dark red color.

Smell (2.5) - Smell of citrus mostly, but had an off smell for me like vinegar.

Taste (2) - The citrus tones in the beer were good, but the vinegar taste did not agree with me. Unfortunately, I had to choke this beer down. Too sour for my liking.

Mouthfeel (3.25) - Good feel, but nothing spectacular. Gave me a feeling like dry white wine.

Overall (2) - The sourness of the beer didn't agree with me, but the citrus flavors were good.

3.42/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pourd from a 11.2 oz bottle to a chimay challice

First off this is my verry first sour and I love sour stuff so I been looking for the sour style for a wile

A: pours a dark brown readish color almost looks like mister pibb soda verry minn head that kinda lingers and lilttle laceing that sticks around nice apperance

S:smells fruity and acidic.I smell cherries the most with a little vinager smell

T:wow!!! This is my first sour and damn is it sour and some people say it is not that sour. I taste sweet wine,vinager,cherries, and the more I drink the more it mellows out
And I start tasting an oaky flavor frm the ageing

M:verry dry like a cab wine

Overall: well for being my first sour I am surprized about how sour it is and I thought I would of liked it more but its overly sweet the more I drink the better it gets far frm a bad beer but I think I need to get more acquainted with the sour type of beers

Live life drink beer!!!:-)

4.39/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

poured a dark brown with minimal head.... smell seems a tad vinegar-y but i dont know what to expect from this. it says sour is a characteristic of the flanders red ale so . . . . . . let's see!
oh yeah. that was definitely a vinegar i smelled... i like these 'tarts'. they dont always mix with the others i try in an evening, but i like 'em. fruity, vinegar-y, tart as in an over-ripened cherry.... but delicious!
overall... not much lacing on the glass- seems a bit thin, but flavor is there. i like the sourness of it and i like the general style of these brews. often wonder why no american brewer attempts a 'sour' . . . . do americans just not 'get into' these types of beers? i love 'em!

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

4.11/5  rDev +9.3%

Served from a bottle into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance- Quite brownish/grey with very little bubbly head that left quickly leaving some nice lacing behind. Quite dark, can't see through it.

Smell- Rich dark fruits. Light vinegary notes. Yeasty earthyness.

Taste- Some cherry and raspberry. Slight boozeyness. Light tartness. Oaky notes. Nice. Sweet.

Mouthfeel- Good carbonation. Medium bodied. Smooth.

Overall- This is a good Flanders with a sweeter approach. I like my Flanders to be a little more tart, but this is solid.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

4.25/5  rDev +13%

4.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.66/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a deep reddish brown with a light brown/off white head. Nose is vinegar, cherry, grape, caramel, apple cider and a sharp citrus hidden way in the back. The taste is much less vinegary (thankfully). Cherry, sour apples, grapes, berries, slight vinegar in the background and a little lemon. The body is light and the carbonation is a little lower than I thought it'd be. The sour level on this is way lower than expected. Just a slight tartness. Not the best flemish red/sour etc but pretty good nonetheless. It says best before 2017, so maybe the vinegar would mellow out and it'd move a lot up the ladder.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%