Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Ichtegem's Grand Cru - Brouwerij Strubbe

Ichtegem's Grand CruIchtegem's Grand Cru

Brouwerij Strubbe visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: audiojon on 05-07-2006

1.62/5  rDev -56.6%

Flanders Red on sale for $3, what can I lose?

Appearance -- Pours like...Cherry 7-up? Rust-colored in the glass with a slim sudsy beige head and wide bands of lace. it kind of looks like what would happen if you poured every kind of soft drink into your cup at a fast food joint. Aside from the hideous hue, really not bad.

Smell -- Strange. Candi sugar, rotten berries, red wine vinegar, canned tuna. Very sweet-smelling as if artificially sweetened (note: bottle label does not mention any sweeteners in its ingredients list). Instead of being vibrantly sour in the nose, it's just lactic enough to suggest rotting fruit.

Taste -- Woof. Candi sugar, lemon-lime soda, rotten cherries, wet cardboard, faint metallic flavor. Aside from some slight graininess, really no solid malt character to be had. What little sour character is there only serves to make the beer taste stranger

Mouthfeel -- Thin-bodied with ample bubbly carbonation. Too thin, which I will attribute to the rice addition. Who thought that was a good idea??? Also, the carbonation feels a little cheap

Overall -- I struggled to finish the glass. A menagerie of strange off-flavors with only a shadow of Flanders Red character. I was hoping for a cost-effective Flanders fix, but this ain't it. I'm glad I tried it only because I'm a big fan of the style. If you're considering tying your first Flanders Red, DO NOT start here!

1.93/5  rDev -48.3%

Let me start by saying that I love Flemish ales. But this really lacks everything that I enjoy about a nice flemish ale. If you are new to the flemish style, I strongly urge you stay away from this, and go for a Rodenbach Grand Cru-not necessarily the best flanders, but at around $10 for a 750ml, and being relatively common, it is a far better introduction to the style, given the price.

A- Not a horrible pour. Color is actually a fairly attractive rusty brown color. Poured with very little head, which dissipated quickly and provided almost no lacing.

S- Not a lot going on here. Very light tart canned cherry, with a slight sugary pie crust finish. Overall, dominated by vinegar. I'm not opposed to a strong vinegar note, as long as it is accompanied by other complexities, but this isn't balanced at all. Had to aerate the shit out of it to get any distinguishing notes.

T- Wow-disappointing to say the least. Water down notes in the smell, and you have the taste.

M- Overly watery. Light bodied and disappointing.

D- Really disappointing. I wouldn't buy it again, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Like I said before, if you would like a baseline for a decent flemish, grab a Rodenbach Grand Cru. For a nice complex oud bruin, grab a Haandbakk.

2.12/5  rDev -43.2%

Thanks to Phatz for deciding to share this one. I've never seen this one before, so I was anxious to give it a shot...
Appears a reddish brown with a small tan head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Scattered bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of turkey gravy, vinegar, oxidized and well past it's prime, notes of butter, rotten weeds, brown sugar, and raw meat.
Taste...I would elaborate but I don't have much to add. It was strange, and past it's prime.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, grossly of rotten cherries and oxidized sugar water.
It was worth a shot. Perhaps a younger bottle would've faired differently.

2.44/5  rDev -34.6%

This brew was like a mix of sour cherries and apple cider vinegar. It was really tart and strong. This isn't something I'd ever drink an entire bottle of. I just can't get passed how sour it was. I love the red color that this brew has. Theres not much head at all. The mouthfeel is light and watery. I'm just not into the flavors this one has to offer.

2.49/5  rDev -33.2%

The aroma is sweet and sour with vinegar, fruit, and oak. The appearance is amber with a large head and floating particles. The flavor is like the aroma. The palate is thin. The finish is sour. Overall it's sweeter than most of the style but this is probably likable for many that like the style. I have had better.

2.73/5  rDev -26.8%

small bottle shared with SundaySour on a Saturday session

Poured into Duchesse de Bourgogne glass.

A: The beer pours a modest 1/2-1 finger head with fairly rapid dissipation. Fine sticky lacing sits atop a deep dark mass of maple syrup that's been kept too cold. Faint reds of manzanita, over ripe raspberries, and deep dark cherries appear in indirect light.

S: A strange mellow smell that I can only describe as water chestnut. The oakyness seems to dominate lesser notes of bread and blackberries. A somewhat difficult nose, that may qualify as being a bit too monotone. Some dust lingers in the background. A late note of wood mellowed soy sauce makes a modest cameo.

T: Very dry bitter wood chips. A sort of powdery acidity lingers in the mouth like a low-grade battery acid. A strange almost chemical bitterness dominates any fruit. if there was any fruit sweetness in here, it's been swallowed by strong oak. An awkward aftertaste of coconut that seems accidental. This really just drinks like overly rustic bread, hard tack even.

M: a medium body for the style, the carbonation is more of a sigh than a breath; there's not much to note. It's fought quite heavily by the acidic invasion of wood. It ends fairly dry that prevents any sensation of flatness.

O: This was a bit of an awkward one, I think the oak was either far too young, or the beer itself is too young. It's quite different in many ways, but the acidity is really the most dominant aspect of the flavor. Unfortunately this one drinks more like medicine than it does beer; and makes you feel like the small bottle is more than enough.

2.75/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Very bland. I didn't know what to expect with this one. But I've had quite a few sours now - of various styles, including Flanders & Flemish Reds, Browns, etc. This one didn't have much flavor to speak of, no tartness, not very sour. Sort of like a flat soda without the sweetness. I actually only got through about 1/3 of my tulip, and I laid it on the arm of my couch, and it actually spilled over on top of me and my couch cushions, and I didn't feel too bad about it. I won't be buying this one again.

2.76/5  rDev -26%

Poured into a tulip. Dark reddish brown with a nice tan head that retains itself longer than you'd expect with the acidity of the beer. Aroma is cherries, prunes, wood. Flavor is mainly a slimy cherry cola sweetness with some weird grapes and wood. It's got some tartness and acidity but no complexity or body. Mouthfeel is too carbonated and thin. Not buying this again.

2.77/5  rDev -25.7%

11.2oz bottle $4.69 from Vendome in North Hollywood

A: Pours opaque reddish brown with a two finger head. Looks to have particulates floating throughout, hard to tell because of the opacity.

S: Cherries, vinegar, ripe fruit

T: Grapes, like watered down wine. Other than that, hard to detect much, not very much complexity. Pretty flavorless. I was expecting this to be sour based on the fact that it is aged in oak barrels. I hardly get any sour though.

M: Thin. Doesn't do much for me. Doesn't feel terrible in the mouth. Just that the flavor is so lacking.

D: Easy to drink, but not very inspiring. So I don't see the point.

I was pretty disappointed here.

2.8/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a reddish orange. Huge 3-4 inch off white foamy head.

Smells decently enough. Some spicy, pungent sourness that smells a bit like vinegar mixed with citrus.

Taste is an odd sweet and sour mix that I just don't care for. The vinegar twang of the sourness is almost eclipsed by a sugar-y, plum-y sweetness that really becomes offputting after a while.

Hard to finish the 11 or so ounces I had.

2.83/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours a dark brown with some ruby hues in the light. A one inch light tan head forms on the pour. Decent retention and some whispy lacing.

The aroma is nice. Definitely some familiar qualities that indicate tartness. Some fruits, cherry and apples. A little bit of oak as well.

The taste is disappointing. Some figs and a very mild "tartness". Slighty vinegar like. This doesn't touch any other Flanders I've had. There is virtually no sour component and probably shouldn't even be considered a sour.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with gentle carbonation.

Drinkability is moderate. It's not a bad beer, but for the style it's inaccurate and boring.

2.86/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a nice reddish brown, little creamy head. Smell is light, muted, a little tart and citrus but nothing much. Taste is watery but nice, aftertaste is disappointing, artificial sweetener and raw malt. No tang, no bite, no funk, nothing jarringly bad but nothing good either.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin considering the sweetness, drinkability is reasonable. I'll finish the bottle, but I wont buy another.

2.98/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Best if consumed by 08-2010. Poured into a La Fin Du Monde Glass.

A: deep copper color with red shades
S: spritzy nose with hints of oak and cherries
T: slight sour taste at beginning but gives way to watery finish with not a lot of unusual taste to speak of, disappointing. Oak taste is present but only slightly in beginning. I can't get over the sweetish watery finish.
M: OK but nothing special
D: drinkable but not worth $5

3.03/5  rDev -18.8%

Shared with Cavery.

A: The lacing makes a crazy horror story spiderweb along the sides of the glass. The color is a murky brown-reddish, and sort of looks like a fishbowl for sea monsters.

S: True to the style, I get a big whiff of cherry pie, or those cherries you cook with booze until they flame up. I also get a little whiffers of almond. The smell is actually not very powerful; I found myself sniffing until I felt a little light-headed. Then, I gave up.

T: Not nearly as tart as some other Flanders Red Ales I've had, and therefore, sort of a bummer. Light and bread-y, like sourdough with like...some cherry jam on top. Like the smell, I keep smacking my mouth to get some flavor flav. Nope.

M: Lightly fizzy with a weird, bread crust aftertaste.

O: In the tearful words of Tyra Banks "I was rooting for you!" I really did want to enjoy this, but the light, funky flavor had me feeling ripped off. It's not an "offensive" beer, it just doesn't blow me off my swivel chair.

3.05/5  rDev -18.2%

Where to start with this one. After drinking, i realized it may not be a style that I will covet in the future, but I will rate it for what it it.
Poured a rather cloudy, dark reddish brown with a nice head and lacing.
Smell was rather fruity and sour..hints of maybe pear and plums with a strong bite of sourness.
Taste was in a word....sour! More sour than any beer I have ever had. But thats what its supposed to be. Kind of reminded me of hard cider..with some oak melding through the sourness.
Mouthfeel was ok...not a beer I will buy again.

3.06/5  rDev -18%

Best before date on the cap says 23-03-2015.

A: Murky brownish red, rust colored body. Slightly off white loose/large bubble foam head. Barely leaves lacing on the glass. Not much if any visible carbonation.

S: Immediately it smells like sourdough bread/starter. A little bit of alcohol. Wet books... Not much else.

T: Sour with just a little sweetness. As it warms, the sweetness comes through a little more. Different than any other sour I've had. I get seville orange (bitter orange), grapefruit, oak maybe? Light bitterness at the finish. Pretty good, but one dimensional and straightforward character. It doesn't have that certain..."there's something hidden here" taste that I have come to expect from a Flemish Red.

M: Lightly fizzy carbonation. One of this beers stronger areas to me. I liked it.

D: Pretty good, but this beer was kind of "basic". Not really what I was expecting. It's good, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get another one. Not really worth the $4 for the 11.2oz bottle.

3.08/5  rDev -17.4%

This beer pours a red heavy amber in color, between light and medium in body with a white lacing around the glass. It smells of lightly sour milk and of a stale amber ale. It's really, really subtle for the style and doesn't offer very much. It tastes of a sweet and soured malt. There isn't much complexity, isn't any vinegar, but it does have a light Miracle Whip component. It drinks light and is equally between sweet and an actual sour. It's mediocre all around. I expected more from a Grand Cru, despite the ratings.

3.1/5  rDev -16.9%

A: The pour is a dark brown color with some red notes when held up to the light. The head is a thin, but sturdy, layer of tan foam.

S: There is a very pleasant acidity to the nose along with some excellent notes of oak. There are also hints of vinegar and cherries.

T: The flavor is overwhelmingly woody, offering tons of oak. The initial onslaught is followed by a mild acidity and a sweet, candy-like finish.

M: The beer is quite dry (despite the sweetness in the flavor), which is probably due to the excessive carbonation.

D: As pleased as I was with the nose, I find the flavor to be a bit disappointing (to say the least). The fact that the beer is so heavily carbonated didn't do much for me either.

3.11/5  rDev -16.6%

I had this beer on tap back at Beachwood BBQ Sour Fest, and do not remember particularly digging it, but I found a bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar to give it a second go.

Pours very dark red, nearly brown. One finger of a light tan head which displayed good retention and lace. Smells of buttery caramel, raisins, slightly musty, absent of all but the slightest tartness. Based on the aroma, it would be difficult to peg this as a Flemish Red.

Tastes of raisin, brown sugar, and a mild tart, mineral-like flavor to it. Not particularly tasty. Missing all of the tartness, acetic, or oak characters that I look for. Medium bodied, with a somewhat smooth medium level of carbonation. I finished the bottle, but was glad it did not come in a 750 mL size.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Opaque brown with a thick and solid tan head. Good retention and a few lacey dribbles. I'm open to interpretation but I want my Flanders Red...well, red.

Aroma is sweet and sour grape mixed with cherry Fun Dip. Steely sour taste mixed with grape Blowpop.

Decent but but monotone and fairly watery. I've been exploring the Flanders red style as of late and so far this is the most lackluster of the bunch.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured into my duvel tulip from a bottle.

A: muddy cinnamon brown with two solid fingers of light beige head, Nice web of lace left behind

S: tart cherries mixed with caramel and brown sugar, hint of vanilla and maybe figs, trace of funk

T: inital sour punch is brief, this turns quickly into loads of caramel malt and then nothing, it's like a quarter of a beer, you get sour and malt then water, I suppose you could call that a clean finish. HA!

M: light and bubbly

D: Overall another clunker from the sour beer crew, I had high hopes for this one.

3.15/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle. Date of 11 mei (may?) 2016. Poured into a HOTD tulip.

Appearance- Brown with reddish highlights. Dirty white head that dissipates to a film. 4.5/5

Smell- The tartness that I smell first makes my mouth water. Cherries and some tart apple is there. 4.5/5

Taste- Funky green apple. There is a malt meatiness to the middle of it. Weird taste around the edges. Maybe rotten fruit? I wish there was a little more of a sourness or tartness to the taste as there was in the aroma. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel- Medium mouthfeel. Lower carbonation than I expected. 3/5

Overall- Bummer. It started out great and I was really excited until I tasted it. I thought there was going to be more of a sour tartness to it. There wasn't. I also expected more carbonation. Bummer. 2.5/5

3.17/5  rDev -15%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date, it's oud. Dark brown/chestnut body, not a lot of red.Nearly opaque. The filmy head remained.

Smell was sour and a little syrupy. Not as tart or vinegary as expected. Earthy yet "clean".

Taste was also not as tart as expected/hoped for. Woody. Raisins. Sweetness up front with a tart finish. Light dryness.

Mouthfeel was mild in the beginning with a zesty swallow.

3.17/5  rDev -15%

picked this up because I have never seen it and it was a flanders..

but I wasnt really feeling it.. not very sour
it was good
it pours a froathy brown, I didnt hate it but i felt like I was drinking a newcastle, and for the money I think it would rather just drink newcastle

3.18/5  rDev -14.7%

A bottle split with oglmcdgl. I've had this a few times.

The liquid comes out looking dark reddish in hue with some brown strokes set within. A nice fuzzy coca cola like head skims up with some tightness and a off tan color to it. No stick on the glass. Smell is pretty much deep vinegar with some faint cherry scent and some grain. Trace amounts of caramel notes, but this one is all about the vinegar. Taste is sweet over sour and it's very apparent. Vinegar, cherry, cola, sweet malt, you get the picture. Very reminiscent of Duchesses. Feel is less than medium, a nice crisp carb and not acidic, not a pucker inducing beer, but pleasant, I just cant stand the vinegar. I could only drink 6oz of this before passing on it.

Ichtegem's Grand Cru from Brouwerij Strubbe