Ichtegem's Grand Cru - Brouwerij Strubbe

Ichtegem's Grand CruIchtegem's Grand Cru

Brouwerij Strubbe visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: audiojon on 05-07-2006)
View: Beers (29) |  Events

Jason1337

09-21-2013 20:39:14 | More by Jason1337
womencantsail

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

A: The pour is a dark brown color with some red notes when held up to the light. The head is a thin, but sturdy, layer of tan foam.

S: There is a very pleasant acidity to the nose along with some excellent notes of oak. There are also hints of vinegar and cherries.

T: The flavor is overwhelmingly woody, offering tons of oak. The initial onslaught is followed by a mild acidity and a sweet, candy-like finish.

M: The beer is quite dry (despite the sweetness in the flavor), which is probably due to the excessive carbonation.

D: As pleased as I was with the nose, I find the flavor to be a bit disappointing (to say the least). The fact that the beer is so heavily carbonated didn't do much for me either.

03-17-2010 03:31:11 | More by womencantsail
SundaySour

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

Shared with Cavery.

A: The lacing makes a crazy horror story spiderweb along the sides of the glass. The color is a murky brown-reddish, and sort of looks like a fishbowl for sea monsters.

S: True to the style, I get a big whiff of cherry pie, or those cherries you cook with booze until they flame up. I also get a little whiffers of almond. The smell is actually not very powerful; I found myself sniffing until I felt a little light-headed. Then, I gave up.

T: Not nearly as tart as some other Flanders Red Ales I've had, and therefore, sort of a bummer. Light and bread-y, like sourdough with like...some cherry jam on top. Like the smell, I keep smacking my mouth to get some flavor flav. Nope.

M: Lightly fizzy with a weird, bread crust aftertaste.

O: In the tearful words of Tyra Banks "I was rooting for you!" I really did want to enjoy this, but the light, funky flavor had me feeling ripped off. It's not an "offensive" beer, it just doesn't blow me off my swivel chair.

07-04-2011 02:26:00 | More by SundaySour
MADhombrewer

Oregon

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle. Date of 11 mei (may?) 2016. Poured into a HOTD tulip.

Appearance- Brown with reddish highlights. Dirty white head that dissipates to a film. 4.5/5

Smell- The tartness that I smell first makes my mouth water. Cherries and some tart apple is there. 4.5/5

Taste- Funky green apple. There is a malt meatiness to the middle of it. Weird taste around the edges. Maybe rotten fruit? I wish there was a little more of a sourness or tartness to the taste as there was in the aroma. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel- Medium mouthfeel. Lower carbonation than I expected. 3/5

Overall- Bummer. It started out great and I was really excited until I tasted it. I thought there was going to be more of a sour tartness to it. There wasn't. I also expected more carbonation. Bummer. 2.5/5

01-26-2012 05:06:49 | More by MADhombrewer
dmamiano

West Virginia

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%

Where to start with this one. After drinking, i realized it may not be a style that I will covet in the future, but I will rate it for what it it.
Poured a rather cloudy, dark reddish brown with a nice head and lacing.
Smell was rather fruity and sour..hints of maybe pear and plums with a strong bite of sourness.
Taste was in a word....sour! More sour than any beer I have ever had. But thats what its supposed to be. Kind of reminded me of hard cider..with some oak melding through the sourness.
Mouthfeel was ok...not a beer I will buy again.

05-11-2008 13:13:25 | More by dmamiano
aasher

Indiana

3.08/5  rDev -18.1%

This beer pours a red heavy amber in color, between light and medium in body with a white lacing around the glass. It smells of lightly sour milk and of a stale amber ale. It's really, really subtle for the style and doesn't offer very much. It tastes of a sweet and soured malt. There isn't much complexity, isn't any vinegar, but it does have a light Miracle Whip component. It drinks light and is equally between sweet and an actual sour. It's mediocre all around. I expected more from a Grand Cru, despite the ratings.

07-25-2011 17:17:14 | More by aasher
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.08/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured into my duvel tulip from a bottle.

A: muddy cinnamon brown with two solid fingers of light beige head, Nice web of lace left behind

S: tart cherries mixed with caramel and brown sugar, hint of vanilla and maybe figs, trace of funk

T: inital sour punch is brief, this turns quickly into loads of caramel malt and then nothing, it's like a quarter of a beer, you get sour and malt then water, I suppose you could call that a clean finish. HA!

M: light and bubbly

D: Overall another clunker from the sour beer crew, I had high hopes for this one.

08-21-2010 00:54:32 | More by beerwolf77
vacax

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%

I had this beer on tap back at Beachwood BBQ Sour Fest, and do not remember particularly digging it, but I found a bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar to give it a second go.

Pours very dark red, nearly brown. One finger of a light tan head which displayed good retention and lace. Smells of buttery caramel, raisins, slightly musty, absent of all but the slightest tartness. Based on the aroma, it would be difficult to peg this as a Flemish Red.

Tastes of raisin, brown sugar, and a mild tart, mineral-like flavor to it. Not particularly tasty. Missing all of the tartness, acetic, or oak characters that I look for. Medium bodied, with a somewhat smooth medium level of carbonation. I finished the bottle, but was glad it did not come in a 750 mL size.

10-14-2009 23:22:03 | More by vacax
donkeyrunner

3.13/5  rDev -16.8%

Opaque brown with a thick and solid tan head. Good retention and a few lacey dribbles. I'm open to interpretation but I want my Flanders Red...well, red.

Aroma is sweet and sour grape mixed with cherry Fun Dip. Steely sour taste mixed with grape Blowpop.

Decent but but monotone and fairly watery. I've been exploring the Flanders red style as of late and so far this is the most lackluster of the bunch.

06-19-2010 13:25:13 | More by donkeyrunner
Jemonster

3.13/5  rDev -16.8%

Best before date on the cap says 23-03-2015.

A: Murky brownish red, rust colored body. Slightly off white loose/large bubble foam head. Barely leaves lacing on the glass. Not much if any visible carbonation.

S: Immediately it smells like sourdough bread/starter. A little bit of alcohol. Wet books... Not much else.

T: Sour with just a little sweetness. As it warms, the sweetness comes through a little more. Different than any other sour I've had. I get seville orange (bitter orange), grapefruit, oak maybe? Light bitterness at the finish. Pretty good, but one dimensional and straightforward character. It doesn't have that certain..."there's something hidden here" taste that I have come to expect from a Flemish Red.

M: Lightly fizzy carbonation. One of this beers stronger areas to me. I liked it.

D: Pretty good, but this beer was kind of "basic". Not really what I was expecting. It's good, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get another one. Not really worth the $4 for the 11.2oz bottle.

02-03-2011 05:36:52 | More by Jemonster
Cresant

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured this 11.2 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date, it's oud. Dark brown/chestnut body, not a lot of red.Nearly opaque. The filmy head remained.

Smell was sour and a little syrupy. Not as tart or vinegary as expected. Earthy yet "clean".

Taste was also not as tart as expected/hoped for. Woody. Raisins. Sweetness up front with a tart finish. Light dryness.

Mouthfeel was mild in the beginning with a zesty swallow.

10-02-2008 19:56:48 | More by Cresant
BARFLYB

3.15/5  rDev -16.2%

A bottle split with oglmcdgl. I've had this a few times.

The liquid comes out looking dark reddish in hue with some brown strokes set within. A nice fuzzy coca cola like head skims up with some tightness and a off tan color to it. No stick on the glass. Smell is pretty much deep vinegar with some faint cherry scent and some grain. Trace amounts of caramel notes, but this one is all about the vinegar. Taste is sweet over sour and it's very apparent. Vinegar, cherry, cola, sweet malt, you get the picture. Very reminiscent of Duchesses. Feel is less than medium, a nice crisp carb and not acidic, not a pucker inducing beer, but pleasant, I just cant stand the vinegar. I could only drink 6oz of this before passing on it.

04-30-2012 21:28:20 | More by BARFLYB
gdfan47

3.15/5  rDev -16.2%

picked this up because I have never seen it and it was a flanders..

but I wasnt really feeling it.. not very sour
it was good
it pours a froathy brown, I didnt hate it but i felt like I was drinking a newcastle, and for the money I think it would rather just drink newcastle

11-10-2008 10:04:48 | More by gdfan47
bballmj2k

Served into snifter. Cap says best buy 07-11-2015

Appearance - Dark burgundy/brown. Cloudy and unfiltered, with minimal head that clings to the side of the glass.

Smell - Oh yum sours. Tart apple, cherries, grapes... degree of funkiness and woodiness.

Taste - Sweet and tart at the beginning. Some hints of fruits (see above). Honestly a bit muted and kind of a disappointment. Not really sour - definitely reminds me of New Belgium's Vrienden. Perhaps a bit of that hibiscus flavor creeps in and is similar to the apple tartness.

Mouthfeel - Not substantial, minimal carbonation. Kind of want more body for something like this. Definitely not puckering or full.

Drinkability - Pretty high. Easy drinking with sweet flavors without being cloying. Lacking a little of that sour punch that I was looking for.

Not a fantastic Flanders Red but not awful either.... pretty mediocre.

02-08-2011 22:53:28 | More by bballmj2k
Darkmagus82

Served on tap in a 10 oz chalice glass

Appearance – Served a dark brown color some tints of red and almost no head. Upon swirling there was very little lacing..

Smell – Sour notes of cherry and some notes of other dark fruit aromas of red grape and fig. Mixed with these aromas were some lighter notes of a light oaky note.

Taste – The taste starts out sour and gets even more sour as the taste advances. It begins with cherry and some other sweeter fruit flavors of prune and apple. These flavors bitter and sour more as the taste advances with a more vinegary flavor that enters the profile. In the end some oak flavor meets the bitter and sour flavors to leave a somewhat unpleasant burn on the tongue.

Mouthfeel- The body of the beer is on the light to medium side with the carbonation level rather average.

Overall – While it has some nice aromas and fruit flavors upfront, the very vinegary flavors sort of turn me off (this is not really my style of beer; so if you like sours it has some nice characteristics, but if you don’t like sours then….)

08-08-2012 01:19:03 | More by Darkmagus82
Halcyondays

33 cl bottle,

A: Pours a beautiful dark crimson into a flute glass with a colour that thins out to the bottom into more of mahogany. Long lasting off-white head with good lacing.

S: Definite wood character, cheesy funk, sugar syrup.

T: Quite sugary, it has good oak notes and barrel character. Funk is interesting, but too much at times, definitely has a ton of Brett in it. Very low in acidity for the style, more like a Belgian dark.

M: I miss the sourness of a more traditional Flanders Red, sweet finish, quite sugary. Relatively light-bodied.

D: Certainly a different take on the style than the more lactic character in something like Rodenbach. An interesting experience, I think any sour fan should try it out.

01-09-2009 06:14:45 | More by Halcyondays
Jfriz25

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance- Pours a murky reddish brown. If you've ever donated plasma it's like a darker version of that.

Smell- Read some reviews after purchasing and wasn't thrilled but my first thought when I poured the glass was "maybe they are wrong.". Smells tart and funky wih some green apple coming out.

Taste- Starts fairly tart but it is overtaken by a artifcial rotten apple note. Not sure if this is an old bottle because it just tastes kind of stale.

Mouthfeel- Medium body with a decent amout of carbonation on the finish. Probably the highlight of this beer. If only I could drink it without tasting it. (ok that's an exaggeration but still)

Overall- I had never seen this on the shelf before and I'll never pass up the chance to try a new Flanders. I think I paid $6 for this bottle and it definetly wasn't worth that. If you literally had no other sour options fine but it is the definition of mediocre.

09-20-2012 22:35:21 | More by Jfriz25
organicbrewer

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

11.2oz poured into an Oerbier glass

a-Brilliantly clear ruby with a two finger eggshell head. Pleasant to look at. Head thins but lingers.

s-Malt vinegar and cherries. Slightly metalic. Some wood.

t-Sweet carmelly malt. Wood chips. Not very sour. I know the oud bruin isn't puckering but the balance is tilted way towards the sweet. Not much sour here. Almost like a brown ale aged in wood.

m- medium dry bodied. Not a ton of carbonation, which might help cut the sweetness a little

d- If this was a little less sweet, and/or was a bit more sour this would be better. The sweetness lingers on the palate a bit too long.

04-14-2009 00:12:15 | More by organicbrewer