Ichtegem's Grand Cru - Brouwerij Strubbe

Ichtegem's Grand CruIchtegem's Grand Cru

Brouwerij Strubbe visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: audiojon on 05-07-2006)
View: Beers (28) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
BARFLYB

3.15/5  rDev -16.2%

A bottle split with oglmcdgl. I've had this a few times.

The liquid comes out looking dark reddish in hue with some brown strokes set within. A nice fuzzy coca cola like head skims up with some tightness and a off tan color to it. No stick on the glass. Smell is pretty much deep vinegar with some faint cherry scent and some grain. Trace amounts of caramel notes, but this one is all about the vinegar. Taste is sweet over sour and it's very apparent. Vinegar, cherry, cola, sweet malt, you get the picture. Very reminiscent of Duchesses. Feel is less than medium, a nice crisp carb and not acidic, not a pucker inducing beer, but pleasant, I just cant stand the vinegar. I could only drink 6oz of this before passing on it.

04-30-2012 21:28:20 | More by BARFLYB

AllenJasper

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle to Snifter
First 'sour' beer so i may just be rating the style, not the beer itself.

A: very dark red with a brownish tint. Sandy tan head, no lacing.

S: kinda smells like sparkling wine. Fruity and a strange vinegar hint.

T: it's got a raspberry/vinegar sourness that accommodates a dark red/brown ale flavor.

M: kinda sticky, with sharp carbonation... Sourness lingers

O: I like it. to my lips it's as simple as a sour brown ale, and I normally don't like brown ales. I can't imagine drinking more than 12 oz of this, it kinda baffles me that so many sours are served in 750mL bottles... I'll finish the bottle happy that I tried it though.

03-28-2012 04:32:08 | More by AllenJasper
Archemedies

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

03-21-2012 01:02:08 | More by Archemedies
GusDom

3.38/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance- Poured with an inch worth of head, the color is of a darker ruby reddish/brown. Fine bubbles floating to the top. Pretty nice looking beer, not much lacing being left though. Head dissapeared after about a minute.

Aroma- Grape skin, slight green apple and vinegar. Smells like kombucha. Fresh tart cranberries, slight caramel, faint bitter-sweet chocolate. Has an oaky finish.

Taste- Caramel, prunes, slight vinegar, oak, smell and taste are actually pretty different. I also get a nutty taste, similar to an almond. The smell tends to be more pungent where as the taste is just slightly pungent with a slight sweetness added.

Verdict- I have mixed feelings about this beer. I definitely appreciate the aroma, the beer didn't seem too complex at first whiff but after about 4 more tries I started picking up the chocolate notes, it definitely surprised me how complex the aroma was. Still, the taste just didn't do it for me. I was expecting a little more sour and not so much sweetness. I'm not saying it was very sweet, but it did have that slight doppelbock caramel note I was not expecting in a flemish sour. I would try again if offered but Im not going to go out of my way to seek it out. I would rather recommend Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour for someone who is new to sours, it may not be as complex but it is definitely more enjoyable IMO.

03-20-2012 02:59:07 | More by GusDom
RollBounce

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

My first tap review. Nice one inch foam, serverd in a tulip glass, dark brown in color, some sour on the nose, lite on the sour with some cherry notes, cola as well.

Overall; great beginers sour. Could be a sour you can have more than one of. Which might be what I do.

03-18-2012 22:16:57 | More by RollBounce
stealth

03-17-2012 08:51:11 | More by stealth
BBP

Ontario (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours ruby chestnut with a slightly thin head and some very nice lacing.

Mildly fruity in the aroma with a decent presence of tartness and sourness.

The taste is quite balanced, and while it's not too bright or sweet and appeals to me in that way, I almost wish it had more potency. It's very tastefully done, but it just seems a bit dull.

The body is medium in thickness and medium in weight. The finish is dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this was a good drink, but it didn't set itself aside as something I'd pick up again.

03-13-2012 18:35:02 | More by BBP
DSlim71

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

03-12-2012 22:23:22 | More by DSlim71
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a mahagony brown-red capped by a short lived tan head.

A scant nose of yest with a hint of the oak barrel.

Flavor is a somewhat light tart cranberry like affair-- not really cranberries but the tart,sour essence of cranberries-- hops flavor and malt is there as well. Yeast is also a noteable characteristic.

Mouthfeel is cordial with the beer's tart characteric flavor making for a long finish.

Overall I think this is an enjoyable beer.
I forogt what I paid for this one-- under a 12oz bottle-- so $$$ per bottle is always a part of the equasion.

03-03-2012 22:58:45 | More by gueuzeonhigh
beerhorn12

02-29-2012 04:01:51 | More by beerhorn12
mynie

Indiana

Pours a purplish brown, like a prune. Nice head.

Smells smooth and oaken with just a tiny little hint of sour cherries and some more generic, smoother fruit, like blackberries.

Tastes like it smells. Very smooth and sweet for a Flanders--I split this with a friend as a way to preface drinking an Upland Gilgamesh, so he could see if he liked sour beers before I went and opened up an expensive bomber of a beer so tart it makes your cheeks burn. This--this was not a proper preface. Still, it was pretty darn good on its own.

02-25-2012 19:02:47 | More by mynie

Georgia

02-21-2012 03:11:13 | More by mrshoes
SLeffler27

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours dark copper with ruby highlights when put to the light. Effervescence is apparent in the clearness of this beer. The head is rocky and beige as it slowly dissipates leaving sticky lace on a flute.

The aroma is that of tart apples with vinegar and turns to berries with warmth. While the aroma starts out mouth-watering, it ends with woody tones.

The flavor is much milder than anticipated from the nose and as would be suggested by the style. Regardless, this is quite tasty with tartness and acidity of berries. It warms well, maintaining and developing earthiness through the finish.

Refreshing with medium body, decent carbonation, and light alcohol.

Ichtegem’s Grand Cru is easy drinking and enjoyable. However, the draught version I had yesterday was far superior.

02-19-2012 19:59:47 | More by SLeffler27
DocJ87

02-19-2012 10:08:54 | More by DocJ87
LiquidAmber

Washington

Older refrigerated bottle,2009, poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a dark mahogany amber with red tints. Half finger light tan head with good retention and lacing, looks nice. Aroma of cherry, light fruit, wood, lightly vinegar and sour. Flavor is sour and acidic, but balanced by a cherry flavored sweetness. Medium bodied with some creaminess. Nice interaction of the sour and sweet. I do not favor sour beers but this one works quite nicely for me. Worth a periodic revisit. Older refrigerated bottle, probably from 2009.

02-10-2012 05:15:18 | More by LiquidAmber
throwback

4.25/5  rDev +13%

02-04-2012 20:45:26 | More by throwback
MADhombrewer

3.05/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle. Date of 11 mei (may?) 2016. Poured into a HOTD tulip.

Appearance- Brown with reddish highlights. Dirty white head that dissipates to a film. 4.5/5

Smell- The tartness that I smell first makes my mouth water. Cherries and some tart apple is there. 4.5/5

Taste- Funky green apple. There is a malt meatiness to the middle of it. Weird taste around the edges. Maybe rotten fruit? I wish there was a little more of a sourness or tartness to the taste as there was in the aroma. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel- Medium mouthfeel. Lower carbonation than I expected. 3/5

Overall- Bummer. It started out great and I was really excited until I tasted it. I thought there was going to be more of a sour tartness to it. There wasn't. I also expected more carbonation. Bummer. 2.5/5

01-26-2012 05:06:49 | More by MADhombrewer
josefnewsong

01-25-2012 17:12:38 | More by josefnewsong
guajolote

01-17-2012 00:58:58 | More by guajolote
suspect

3.48/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from 375ml bottle into an Ithaca Excelsior Tulip. Best by date April 2016.

A: Brown color with some slight red around the edges. Aggressive pour leads to a 1 finger light khaki color. Lacing is thick, sticky and impressive.

S: Not a ton on the nose but what I do pick up is some earthy notes along with some standard malt and a very faint yeast smell.

T: Nice flavor, malt forward, nice dark fruit notes come through with dates and raisins being the most obvious. Some subtle molasses notes as well. Interestingly complex flavor. Really nicely done.

M: Amply carbonated, almost too much on the front end of the sip. Creamy mouth coating. Long lingering aftertaste leaves me reaching for more.

O: A good beer, not overly impressive but one I was glad to try. This one was a "pick a random Belgian beer and buy it" purchase and I'm not disappointed. I probably won't seek it out again though.

01-15-2012 02:24:50 | More by suspect