Ichtegem's Grand Cru - Brouwerij Strubbe

Brouwerij Strubbe visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: audiojon on 05-07-2006

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Bottle at Strijdershuis in Bruges.
A: Dark maroon and ruby color with a small edge head and a scant amount of lacing.
S: Aroma of oats, malt and hot cereal.
T: Flavor begins with caramel and butterscotch and then the sourness and wood shines through, and lasts to the finish.
M: Decent enough body.
D: A decent example of a Flemish sour ale, but not overly special.

2.76/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured into a tulip. Dark reddish brown with a nice tan head that retains itself longer than you'd expect with the acidity of the beer. Aroma is cherries, prunes, wood. Flavor is mainly a slimy cherry cola sweetness with some weird grapes and wood. It's got some tartness and acidity but no complexity or body. Mouthfeel is too carbonated and thin. Not buying this again.

2.8/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a reddish orange. Huge 3-4 inch off white foamy head.

Smells decently enough. Some spicy, pungent sourness that smells a bit like vinegar mixed with citrus.

Taste is an odd sweet and sour mix that I just don't care for. The vinegar twang of the sourness is almost eclipsed by a sugar-y, plum-y sweetness that really becomes offputting after a while.

Hard to finish the 11 or so ounces I had.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark clear brown with a thin white head.

Nose is assertive aged oranges and a "sweet/sour" character. Nose has a "sweet fruit with brettanomyces" character. Pleasant.

Mouthfeel is just about perfect. Rich, creamy and full bodied but with a bright acidic character.

Flavors are bright but bold and big. Huge spiced citric orange with lime, citric malt and citric stone fruit.

All around deliscious flavors once it's in the glass or in an open bottle for a bit! Air really helps this one develope into something very nice, almost like having a wine breathe.

Nice citric limed malt finish. Hints of sour all around (and one almost wants it to be more sour) but very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into goblet...

A: Poured a dark amber with hues of red in the light, small head with decent lacing, not fantastic.

S: Tart sour cherries with heavy bready yeast, hints of vinegar and other berries linger in the background.

T: Taste is very similar to the nose, lots of sour cherries and yeast...not overly complex, but delicious.

M: Smooth feel, light carbonation, light medium body...

D: Goes down fairly easy for a sour flanders, not drinkable, but good.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

bought a 750 ml bottle and shared with friends at a dinner..the color was a hazy brown /red with a great head and nice lacing it look good in the goblet and smelled of fruit mainly some tart cherries and some sourdough bread..the taste was delicious it was sour patch sweet with cherry tartness a hint of vinegar malt hops and some other fruit and spices..enjoy this one with friends like a bottle of wine or an aperitif before or with dinner

This brew is actually a Flanders Oud Bruin, as the back label explains. Bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Pours a chestnut brown with a half finger of light tan head that becomes a soapy rim soon after pouring.

Aroma is lightly sweet with light notes of acidity and some red fruit, mainly cherry and a touch of berry. Some distant funk mixed in as well.

Taste follows the nose with a smooth and complete profile that finishes mellow and very smooth. Overall this is a solid Oud Bruin with a distinct oak-aged character.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lightly acidic and smooth from the barrel aging.

Drinkability is good. Easy-going and mellow with a solid fruit and barrel aged quality along with a solid profile. An all around good brew. Cheers!

3.11/5  rDev -17.5%

I had this beer on tap back at Beachwood BBQ Sour Fest, and do not remember particularly digging it, but I found a bottle at Holiday Wine Cellar to give it a second go.

Pours very dark red, nearly brown. One finger of a light tan head which displayed good retention and lace. Smells of buttery caramel, raisins, slightly musty, absent of all but the slightest tartness. Based on the aroma, it would be difficult to peg this as a Flemish Red.

Tastes of raisin, brown sugar, and a mild tart, mineral-like flavor to it. Not particularly tasty. Missing all of the tartness, acetic, or oak characters that I look for. Medium bodied, with a somewhat smooth medium level of carbonation. I finished the bottle, but was glad it did not come in a 750 mL size.

4.17/5  rDev +10.6%

This is a pretty good example of the style. Maybe not as sour as some.

A- Pours a nice reddish-brown with a nice tan head, not quite opaque.

S- Smells of ripe fruit, a hint of sourness coming through.

T- The sour flavor doesn't hit you like others in the style, some maltiness, over-ripe fruit.

M- Bubbly, but not effervescent, maybe a bit thinner than I would like.

D- I enjoyed the beer, and will purchase it again in the future. I have another bottle I want to share with a friend who likes the style.

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

A--Dark, opaque brown with magenta hues. Minimal head. No lacing.

S--Dark overripe cherries, with an odd hint of grapes. Like Bubble Yum grape, not Bordeaux grape. Odd.

T--Like it smells, sadly, with a funky back end. There's a musty, attic-like quality on the finish. Not bad, really, but not great.

M--Merely average.

D--Okay. I mean, I wouldn't turn it down at a party, but this is far from the best I've had in this style. A bit of a disappointment.

Procured from Red Carpet Wine & Liquor, Glendale, CA

3.44/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A- Poured with a thin tan head, which quickly dissipated, leaving some traces of lacing behind. The body was a hazy red-brown, with no carbonation observed from the sides of the glass.

S- Smells of cherry cider (if I could conceive such a thing)... sour, acidic notes, combined with cherry, oaky, and candy sugar aromas on the nose. Anticipating a lot of nice infection...

T- Surprisingly moderate flavors- relatively low in acidity... slightly metallic with traces of lacto and adicobacter... all with a moderate caramel malt and candy sugar backbone. None of the anticipated cherry flavor on the palate, and not much oakiness either. The finish is lingering and dry, ultimately becoming slightly tart in the end.

M- Medium body with an appreciable amount of unattenuated sugar. Carbonation is abundant and somewhat harsh.

D- Drinkable enough, but not my favorite Flemish Red/Brown... not as sweet as I would have liked, and not as sour as I would have liked either. All in all, this was a weaker version of the style, which left a lot to be desired.

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very dark brown color, almost black with deep mahogany edges when held to a light source. Creamy .5 off-white head that quickly fades into the thinnest of rings leaving very small specks of lacing.

Tart funky aroma with a nice oak vanilla presence from the barrel aging. Also a bit of a vinegar and dark fruit notes.

Lighter end of medium bodied and a bit watered down. I was expecting a fuller mouthfeel. Tart and puckering but much more of a vinegary sourness than expected. Lots of oak and vanilla character with a pleasant dark fruit flavor. Dark cherries, plum and raisin notes with a dry finish.

3.48/5  rDev -7.7%

11/2012 freshness date

A hard pour yields a 1+finger off-white head that vanishes quickly down to a partial cover and has a very dark, reddish brown color.
The smell is sour, vinegar, as in the red wine type, and an interesting vanilla fruit like character.
The taste is a bit of cherry fruit, a tart, sour earthiness with a finish that is somewhat bitter (?), not hop bitter, maybe more acrid which isn't pleasant to me. The odd taste in the finish is the weak point in this beer for me.
Mouthfeel is not exactly thin or medium but a little syrupy and drying.
Drinkability is mostly good, it's the swallow that got me.

Not a bad beer but doesn't nearly measure up to the better versions of this style.

3.43/5  rDev -9%

This is a Flemish Red I missed at Sour Fest, but luckily stumbled upon at Capone's:

Pours a winey, blood red with thin acidic head and champagne-size carbonation.

Scent is ripe, sour and fruity, like a very tart sangria. A woody forest character brought on by the oak barrels is ever present.

Taste is subtly dry, well-mixed with an oak character and the sweetness of cherry and raspberry flavors. Ending is musky like a wine cellar, but a little understated compared to Rodenbach and the Duchesse.

Acidity tingles in the back of the throat, with a dry ending that resonates after the sip for a few seconds. Flavors aren't sour enough to limit drinkability, which makes this one go down pretty easily, especially with that nice oakey ending.

Although not a masterpiece, this isn't a bad rendition and only suffers based on comparisons with other, more established brews.

3.7/5  rDev -1.9%

I got a bottle of this at Rustico's in Alexandria, VA. And Caroline was there. And she had an awesome mocha and stout. It came in a tulip glass.
Appearance. The body is a deep purple, black color. The head is no existant, almost tan, medium sized bubbles, great retention but no lacing.
Smell: The aromas are dark fruit, cherrys and grapes.
Taste: The flavors are cherrys, tart and almost spicy.
Mouthfeel: The body is thin to medium but nice and crisp.
Drinkabily: This beet is damn fine.
Don't drink and review.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A sweet, pleasing Flanders Red. This beer pours a brownish red color with a better than expected off-white head. The aroma is sweet and sour cherries with a touch of malt. The flavor is similar with a medium-light vinegar kick. My score is dropping as I go through my glass, which is never a good sign. There's a somewhat cloying syrupy character to the beer. I'm not good enough at beer tasting to tell if it's back-sweetened, but it tastes that way to me. If this beer was bone dry, I'd like it a whole lot more. As is, the sweet cherry flavor is growing acrid on my palate. It's not a bad beer, but I prefer a bit less sweet in my sours.

4.07/5  rDev +8%

Freshness date of 03-2013 on top of cap.

Pours hazed reddish brown with a thin tan bubbly head. Spots of lacing stick.

The smell is tart with some acidity, brown sugar, and vinuous notes - Oak is mild.

The taste is sour notes (grapey) with caramelish brown sugar sweetness. Not as sour as some other examples. The oak is mild, but there. It has a soft sweet and sour finish.

It is light-bodied with some effervescence. Very smooth.

A very drinkable example of the style. A malty complexity balances out the tart, though doesn't overwhelm it. Alcohol is very well hidden. It's not as strong as some others, but it has a nice uniqueness and is very drinkable.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Served with very little head and no lace. Color is a dark, cloudy brown with some reddish highlights. Maybe a little light struck: some burnt rubber/skunk. Flavor's not quite as skunky as aroma and I get some of the nice tart malt with fruit in the background. Had another bottle of this here recently and it was much better - no skunk. Good mouth and carbonation. Skunk's gone at the end. Good finish. No sense of the alcohol at all. I'd try another

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Served on tap in a Trappist Rochefort chalice. It pours very dark brown with a tan head of large soapy bubbles. There is a slightly earthy aroma, but I couldn't really smell much with this beer. The complex tastes is where this beer shines. It is mildly sweet, with molasses, gingerbread and winter spices. They all work together well, even though it seemed I couldn't always taste all the flavors with each sip (probably because the beer was warming as I drank it). It has a fuller mouthfeel; this isn't a watery beer. It fishes dry with a hint of toffee and perhaps some toasted malts. I like this beer. It probably isn't a great choice for a hot Memorial Day weekend (when I had it), but would work well in the colder, winter months.

Edit: after looking at some of the other reviews, I wonder if I was served the correct beer, as my review doesn't sound like any of the other ones. I am reviewing from my tasting notes, and I left no indication that this one tasted sour at all.

2.77/5  rDev -26.5%

11.2oz bottle $4.69 from Vendome in North Hollywood

A: Pours opaque reddish brown with a two finger head. Looks to have particulates floating throughout, hard to tell because of the opacity.

S: Cherries, vinegar, ripe fruit

T: Grapes, like watered down wine. Other than that, hard to detect much, not very much complexity. Pretty flavorless. I was expecting this to be sour based on the fact that it is aged in oak barrels. I hardly get any sour though.

M: Thin. Doesn't do much for me. Doesn't feel terrible in the mouth. Just that the flavor is so lacking.

D: Easy to drink, but not very inspiring. So I don't see the point.

I was pretty disappointed here.

4.27/5  rDev +13.3%

Had this one on-tap at Hopleaf. It was served in a tulip glass.

The appearance is reddish-brown, and somewhere between translucent and opaque. Served to me with a very small head of foam, no lacing was left behind as I drank it.

The aroma that I got immediately was a nice fruity character, some yeast, and also a bit of a vinegar presence. There was also some oak and vanilla, but it was the fruit that dominated.

The taste is very nice. It is not as sour as some other sours that I have had, but there is a nice balance between fruitiness and acidity that appeals to me. Right off I can taste the fruit, cherry or perhaps raspberry. This is followed up by a nice acidity that does not overwhelm me. It finishes with a nice oak taste.

Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side but overall not to distracting. Some carbonation is there also, although it could probably benefit to have a bit more.

The drinkability is high on my scale. The sour taste is such that it cleans my palate and tells me to keep coming back for more, yet there are enough other things going on that it never becomes too much. This beer will not blow you out of your seat in terms of sourness like some Flanders, but I think that it is still a nice representation of the style.

4.4/5  rDev +16.7%

People are saying this is a tame beer for the style, and that might be true--I'm not sure I've ever had a Flanders red before--but it's so drinkable for a sour that I kind of fell in love with it.

I drank it on-tap in a tulip glass at Quotations in Media, and it was a dark deep ruby with a 1-finger beige head. The smell was very fruity and didn't give off much funk, and the taste was I suppose similar--fruity and sweet to start, then a nice clean sour cherry and raspberry, hints of oak and vinegar, didn't make you pucker or give you a funk buzz, relatively light mouthfeel, but kind of like drinking a deeper, darker, better lambic. That's what I thought to myself--"I'm glad I got this instead of the lambic, I get tired of the lambic sweetness quickly but I won't tire of this."

Would go out of my way to find again.

3.36/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido on the way back from my wedding in San Diego. Bottle shows a best before date of 03-2013. Served at 45°F in engraved champagne flutes we received as a gift at our reception.

Pours a dark ruby brown with a finger-thick creamy light tan head. Lots and lots of chunky thick lacing remain as I sip this one down.

Nose is rather subdued... there's a lot going on, but nothing that really screams out for attention. Most apparent is tangy dark cherries and the expected notes of red wine vinegar. Hints of oak and caramel round things out. Alcohol is apparent, which leads me to believe ABV is on the higher end of the scale for Flanders reds.

First taste is promising, with tart cherries, red wine, and an oaky finish, but it quickly fizzles, proving to be a rather one-dimensional example of the style. Savor this one quickly, as any flavor the tongue picks up disappears quick. Mrs. ThirdLap (who is a fan of the style) could not finish her glass, complaining of an off-flavor that reminded her of beers that have been improperly stored... however I'm fairly certain that's not the case with this bottle.

Body is rather thin and watery, with carbonation on the medium-high end of the scale. Alcohol is more noticeable than expected.

I found myself losing interest after the first few sips, knocking a few points off drinkability. It's an easy-drinking beer, but you simply find yourself bored with it very quickly.

4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Drank @ hopleaf

Served in a tulip glass

A: Dark caramel color with very little head. Slightly translucent.

S: Very complex and highly aromatic. Sweet and sour. Notes of bubblegum, lemonheads candy, and wild yeasts.

T: Quite tangy and sour, but in a positive way. Reminiscent of a brash young red wine. Light maltiness on the front end with the acidic finish and taste of fruity red wine. As with the smell, the flavors demonstrated a good deal of complexity.

M: Clean, crisp, and acidic. Heavy carbonation.

D: I must admit, I am not familiar with this style of beer. I typically do not enjoy Belgian beers for their lactic sourness, but this beer was different. The sourness, and I use the word sour for lack of a better term, was akin to the sourness or acidity present in wine, was well balanced, and was in no ways distracting or offputting. This was a very good beer. It was a pleasure to drink and paired well with food. I could not see it being one I could drink repeatedly as the unique flavor profile could be fatiguing, but, otherwise, quite enjoyable.

3.28/5  rDev -13%

11.2oz poured into an Oerbier glass

a-Brilliantly clear ruby with a two finger eggshell head. Pleasant to look at. Head thins but lingers.

s-Malt vinegar and cherries. Slightly metalic. Some wood.

t-Sweet carmelly malt. Wood chips. Not very sour. I know the oud bruin isn't puckering but the balance is tilted way towards the sweet. Not much sour here. Almost like a brown ale aged in wood.

m- medium dry bodied. Not a ton of carbonation, which might help cut the sweetness a little

d- If this was a little less sweet, and/or was a bit more sour this would be better. The sweetness lingers on the palate a bit too long.

Ichtegem's Grand Cru from Brouwerij Strubbe