Ichtegem's Grand Cru - Brouwerij Strubbe

Brouwerij Strubbe visit their website

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: audiojon on 05-07-2006

3.69/5  rDev -0.5%

11.2oz served into a Duvel tulip.
Cap states best by 4/5/2015.

A - Pours a garnet hued brown with a thin eggshell head leaves behind some spotted lacing.

S - Acidic grapes, fresh wood, saw dust, cherries, raspberries, vanilla, all melded perfectly.

T - Raspberry red grape tartness, a good dose of oak wood, muted watermelon rind, finishes dry with light notes of balsamic vinegar on the aftertaste.

M - Light body, soft effervescent, powdery dry on the finish.

Great nose, good looking but the taste didn't rise to the occasion. Still a very nice Flanders that I probably should have held onto another year before cracking open. I'll go pick another one up. (664 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -14.3%

A bottle split with oglmcdgl. I've had this a few times.

The liquid comes out looking dark reddish in hue with some brown strokes set within. A nice fuzzy coca cola like head skims up with some tightness and a off tan color to it. No stick on the glass. Smell is pretty much deep vinegar with some faint cherry scent and some grain. Trace amounts of caramel notes, but this one is all about the vinegar. Taste is sweet over sour and it's very apparent. Vinegar, cherry, cola, sweet malt, you get the picture. Very reminiscent of Duchesses. Feel is less than medium, a nice crisp carb and not acidic, not a pucker inducing beer, but pleasant, I just cant stand the vinegar. I could only drink 6oz of this before passing on it. (726 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle to Snifter
First 'sour' beer so i may just be rating the style, not the beer itself.

A: very dark red with a brownish tint. Sandy tan head, no lacing.

S: kinda smells like sparkling wine. Fruity and a strange vinegar hint.

T: it's got a raspberry/vinegar sourness that accommodates a dark red/brown ale flavor.

M: kinda sticky, with sharp carbonation... Sourness lingers

O: I like it. to my lips it's as simple as a sour brown ale, and I normally don't like brown ales. I can't imagine drinking more than 12 oz of this, it kinda baffles me that so many sours are served in 750mL bottles... I'll finish the bottle happy that I tried it though. (654 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance- Poured with an inch worth of head, the color is of a darker ruby reddish/brown. Fine bubbles floating to the top. Pretty nice looking beer, not much lacing being left though. Head dissapeared after about a minute.

Aroma- Grape skin, slight green apple and vinegar. Smells like kombucha. Fresh tart cranberries, slight caramel, faint bitter-sweet chocolate. Has an oaky finish.

Taste- Caramel, prunes, slight vinegar, oak, smell and taste are actually pretty different. I also get a nutty taste, similar to an almond. The smell tends to be more pungent where as the taste is just slightly pungent with a slight sweetness added.

Verdict- I have mixed feelings about this beer. I definitely appreciate the aroma, the beer didn't seem too complex at first whiff but after about 4 more tries I started picking up the chocolate notes, it definitely surprised me how complex the aroma was. Still, the taste just didn't do it for me. I was expecting a little more sour and not so much sweetness. I'm not saying it was very sweet, but it did have that slight doppelbock caramel note I was not expecting in a flemish sour. I would try again if offered but Im not going to go out of my way to seek it out. I would rather recommend Monk's Cafe Flemish Sour for someone who is new to sours, it may not be as complex but it is definitely more enjoyable IMO. (1,358 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3.2%

My first tap review. Nice one inch foam, serverd in a tulip glass, dark brown in color, some sour on the nose, lite on the sour with some cherry notes, cola as well.

Overall; great beginers sour. Could be a sour you can have more than one of. Which might be what I do. (269 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours ruby chestnut with a slightly thin head and some very nice lacing.

Mildly fruity in the aroma with a decent presence of tartness and sourness.

The taste is quite balanced, and while it's not too bright or sweet and appeals to me in that way, I almost wish it had more potency. It's very tastefully done, but it just seems a bit dull.

The body is medium in thickness and medium in weight. The finish is dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this was a good drink, but it didn't set itself aside as something I'd pick up again. (535 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a mahagony brown-red capped by a short lived tan head.

A scant nose of yest with a hint of the oak barrel.

Flavor is a somewhat light tart cranberry like affair-- not really cranberries but the tart,sour essence of cranberries-- hops flavor and malt is there as well. Yeast is also a noteable characteristic.

Mouthfeel is cordial with the beer's tart characteric flavor making for a long finish.

Overall I think this is an enjoyable beer.
I forogt what I paid for this one-- under a 12oz bottle-- so $$$ per bottle is always a part of the equasion. (558 characters)

Pours a purplish brown, like a prune. Nice head.

Smells smooth and oaken with just a tiny little hint of sour cherries and some more generic, smoother fruit, like blackberries.

Tastes like it smells. Very smooth and sweet for a Flanders--I split this with a friend as a way to preface drinking an Upland Gilgamesh, so he could see if he liked sour beers before I went and opened up an expensive bomber of a beer so tart it makes your cheeks burn. This--this was not a proper preface. Still, it was pretty darn good on its own. (530 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours dark copper with ruby highlights when put to the light. Effervescence is apparent in the clearness of this beer. The head is rocky and beige as it slowly dissipates leaving sticky lace on a flute.

The aroma is that of tart apples with vinegar and turns to berries with warmth. While the aroma starts out mouth-watering, it ends with woody tones.

The flavor is much milder than anticipated from the nose and as would be suggested by the style. Regardless, this is quite tasty with tartness and acidity of berries. It warms well, maintaining and developing earthiness through the finish.

Refreshing with medium body, decent carbonation, and light alcohol.

Ichtegem’s Grand Cru is easy drinking and enjoyable. However, the draught version I had yesterday was far superior. (781 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +7.3%

Older refrigerated bottle,2009, poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a dark mahogany amber with red tints. Half finger light tan head with good retention and lacing, looks nice. Aroma of cherry, light fruit, wood, lightly vinegar and sour. Flavor is sour and acidic, but balanced by a cherry flavored sweetness. Medium bodied with some creaminess. Nice interaction of the sour and sweet. I do not favor sour beers but this one works quite nicely for me. Worth a periodic revisit. Older refrigerated bottle, probably from 2009. (534 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle. Date of 11 mei (may?) 2016. Poured into a HOTD tulip.

Appearance- Brown with reddish highlights. Dirty white head that dissipates to a film. 4.5/5

Smell- The tartness that I smell first makes my mouth water. Cherries and some tart apple is there. 4.5/5

Taste- Funky green apple. There is a malt meatiness to the middle of it. Weird taste around the edges. Maybe rotten fruit? I wish there was a little more of a sourness or tartness to the taste as there was in the aroma. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel- Medium mouthfeel. Lower carbonation than I expected. 3/5

Overall- Bummer. It started out great and I was really excited until I tasted it. I thought there was going to be more of a sour tartness to it. There wasn't. I also expected more carbonation. Bummer. 2.5/5 (772 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -6.7%

Poured from 375ml bottle into an Ithaca Excelsior Tulip. Best by date April 2016.

A: Brown color with some slight red around the edges. Aggressive pour leads to a 1 finger light khaki color. Lacing is thick, sticky and impressive.

S: Not a ton on the nose but what I do pick up is some earthy notes along with some standard malt and a very faint yeast smell.

T: Nice flavor, malt forward, nice dark fruit notes come through with dates and raisins being the most obvious. Some subtle molasses notes as well. Interestingly complex flavor. Really nicely done.

M: Amply carbonated, almost too much on the front end of the sip. Creamy mouth coating. Long lingering aftertaste leaves me reaching for more.

O: A good beer, not overly impressive but one I was glad to try. This one was a "pick a random Belgian beer and buy it" purchase and I'm not disappointed. I probably won't seek it out again though. (902 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured into flute glass.

A: Very dark copper color, big foamy light tan head.

S: Sweet malt, mild vinegar sourness, hints of tart cherries. Not impressive for the style.

T: Mild tartness, cherries, dark malt.

M: Bright foamy carbonation, light-medium body that seems a little chewy at times.

O: Kind of a let down, this was not nearly sour or tart enough to satisfy that sour-ale addiction. Not a bad beer, but it's not the mouth watering sour ale that I (and many others) crave from this style. (500 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.7%

Served from a 33 cl bottle into a snifter.

A - The beer is a medium brown color and opaque with a cloudy appearance. The head is thin but remains as a ring around the glass and wisps across the beer. Lots of lacing with tiny creamy bubbles.

S - I had the impression of assertive earthy hops on the first sniff. As the beer warmed, I changed my analysis of this smell to a slightly sour vinegar aroma I'm used to with aged Flemish beers. Mixed in with the sour note is oak, cherries and chocolate malt. Very inviting. There are some earthy hops noticeable, but only in the background.

T - The taste is right in the sweet spot for Flemish reds. Sweet malt, sour vinegar, wood notes. It's all here, but not blended as smoothly as in some examples.

M - Body is thin. Some prickly carbonation. No alcohol or hops burn.

O - Overall a good, enjoyable beer. I’ve had examples of the style that are more complex and delicious, but this is one is worth trying. (957 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours a dark reddish color with a one finger cocoa head. Excellent lacing on my snifter glass. Very dark and impossible to see through. The nose is nice- sour fruit, some grain, cherry, plum, and slight alcohol in the background. The taste is nice and tart, with some funk, sour fruit, and a definite bite to the aftertaste. Not quite as complex as I'd hoped, and a little on the sweet side for the style. Still, not shabby at all. Overall, this is a good brew for the style, but you can find better. Cheers. (508 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +4%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip. 03-2013 is stamped on the cap.

Pours a dark very dark brownish-red with a lot of chunkies floating in the glass. Very small head but there is some lacing present.

Smell is of cherries along with maybe a touch of oak.

The taste is very much like the smell. Tart cherries dominate the palate with a sourness also present. The oak is pretty reserved but is noticeable. The finish is fairly dry with a moderate bitterness.

This is my first experience with this style and it has left we wanting to explore more Flanders red ales. A quality beer. (579 characters)

Presentation: 11.2 oz bottle into a snifter. "18 JAN 2016" stamped on the top of the bottle cap.

A- Pours a dark mahogany. ~1 finger of tan head, which fades to a thin, incomplete cap.

S- Tart cherries, with some oak-soaked vinegar notes and a bit of vanilla sweetness.

T- Tart cherries with a bit of a vinegar edge. A fair amount of caramel sweetness. Oaken notes provide a bit of lingering bitterness.

M- Moderately low carbonation. Medium/light feel.

O- Good. Pleasant on all fronts.

Future outlook: I actually took my own advice to start drinking some "Flanders" type beers more often....good for me. Think it might be time to sock a few away for aging purposes... (674 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours reddish brown with a decent cream colored head. No lace, just a ring of head retention.

Sour cherry and wet wood dominate the nose. Some toasted malt and acidity as well.

A bit muddled/muted in the flavors. Wish they were a bit more...bright. Sour notes, cherry, wood, some over-browned bittered bread crust. Sour turns to bitter fast, and I like the transition (nice mindplay, as your nose and tongue tell you 2 different things). Finish is long and mildly bitter, with the funky sour coming thru toward the end.

Acidic and medium bodied.

Not bad. A bit less sharp than I like -- flavors are there, but a bit soft. Still, a very worthy brew. I'd have this again. (673 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -1.6%

11.2oz bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to JAHMUR for this extra! Best by 04-05-2016.

(A)- Pours a dark mahogany color. Produced a large frothy/fluffy tan colored head. Great retention and tons of lace all over.

(S)- A deep bready yeast full with bits of cherry and a thick woody oak. Tiny hints at a barnyard-like funk/vinegar.

(T)- Mildly tart. Some vinegar notes with cherry, sharp oak, and a mildly yeasty but bitter finish. Thin.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. A surprisingly thin mouthfeel overall despite the thick head and robust/complex aroma. Rather mild as well overall.

(D)- A solid flanders. The taste and feel were a bit of a letdown when the appearance and smell were great, but this is still quite and enjoyable beer nonetheless. (754 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

As if I needed another reason to drink beer, now I've discovered sours. This is fantastic.

A- Pours a deep brown with a really nice red hue when held up to the light.

S-Almost stings the nostrils! Vinegary, you can tell this one is going to have some bite.

T- I'm still working on learning to describe what I'm tasting, but I love this. The sourness jumps out at you first and foremost but not overpowering. This is offset by the vanillaesque flavors from the oak barrel.

M- Substantial, feels like more than 6.5.

Overall this is great. Something totally different than what I'm used to, but very enjoyable. Now I"m on a quest to find other Grand Cru's aged in bourbon barrels. (682 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Poured into Three Philosophers snifter. Cap stamped 05 April 2016.

Appearance - Cloudy brown body. Small white head.

Smell - Apple. Mild vinegar.

Taste - Very sour, sharp, and acidic; but those characters are balanced by the sweetness.

Mouthfeel - Acidic. Thin.

Overall Drinkability - Powerful but balanced. No off characters. (331 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +0.3%

Ruddy brown and red colors comingling in a tulip glass, almost no head. Mild tartness in the aroma, toffee.

Good sour taste, impressed, sometimes flanders come off a little weak in that department, especially when they're relatively cheap and available like this one. Really a good introduction that isn't watered down or so pase its lame. Cherry is the most fruit specific flavor that exists in it. Gritty acidic tannin like qualities to it. Mild woody flavor. Enough sweetness to it to approach balance. Ultimately finishes dry. (532 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -7%

Best by: 07NOV15

A: pours a treated dark rawhide color with a 1.5 finger peanut head which falls in a couple minutes to a capped sheet. Cobweb lace. Good border clarity.

S: Dark cherries, strawberries, lemon, leather, mineral hints, plenty of woody oak. A little bit of sweetness, pretty for the style.

T: much sweeter than I had imagined. A medicinal cherry flavor is dominant with oak, tannins and bitters bringing up the back end. On the finish I get a hint of band-aid mixed with nougat. The acetyl aspect of this beer is limited; so much so I with there was more vinegar in this one.

M: Medium on heavy with moderate and spritely carbonation. Semidry and smooth finish.

O: Not a bad beer, would be interested to see if it gets more sour with time. It's not a bad beer by any means, the flavor has some off-tones and that's my primary complaint - it's in the finish that I'm put off. (892 characters)

A - Maple syrup brown, very foamy, choppy head and super sticky head/lacing. Rings left on the inside of the glass.

S - A tart, acidic, red vinegar nose with notes of the juice of dried cherries in oak casks.

T - Dry cherry, woody oak. Dried fruit skin and some tangy fruit acidity. Bitter hops add another component, with a nice dry champagne-like yeast.

M - Drying the mouth with a clean effervescent Flemish body. Fizzy, tingly carbonation.

O - Great sour/dry Flemish ale with a nice background of natural cherry. (521 characters)

3.71/5  rDev 0%

On tap at 775 Gastropub

Color is opaque brown. Solid head & lacing.

Smell not very strong, but there is a bit of cherry there.

Tastes of sour cherry with some oak on the back. It's quite tart, with medium carbonation, but it's rich in flavor and feels pretty smooth.

Overall, this is a neat beer and my first in this style. I'm definitely interested in trying more. (369 characters)

Ichtegem's Grand Cru from Brouwerij Strubbe