Sex Viking Dunkelweizen - Roth Brewing Company

Sex Viking DunkelweizenSex Viking Dunkelweizen

Roth Brewing Company
North Carolina, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: oberon on 02-13-2012)
Reviews by akorsak:
akorsak

1.65/5  rDev -50.2%

A 650 mL bottle from AVL - most likely from Bruisin' or Appalachian.

A: The ale looks the part - a hazy, muddy brown color, opaque, with a voluminous white head. <<Cue the foreshadowing>>

S: The nose is a combination of citric tartness, pedio/lacto-like, and clove. That tartness isn't an upside.

T, and M: I regret to report, dear readers, that this beer is hopelessly infected. Not more than a month or two old, and the taste is metallic. The tartness that comes along isn't from the wheat alone, the citric bite crushes the rest of the ale. No clove and no banana. Too bad. Drainpoured after bravely swigging a few times.

Worth a note: I don't like to review infected beers unless I notice a trend. Roth's Conscription IPA was off too. In the case of Conscription, it aided the hoppiness. A trend? Perhaps.

09-02-2012 17:35:10 | More by akorsak
oberon

Poured into a weizen glass a hazed russett with some lemony colored tinge,a frothy two finger head atop that left one broken ring of lace behind as it settled.Chocolate and banana stand out most in the nose along with some bubblegum.Quite a complex palate with a mix of chocolate,toasted wheat,spiced phenols,and peppery bite in the finish wich comes from the use of rye.this is a real nice dunkelweizen,Iam not sure what a "sex viking" is but I know this beer is quite good.

02-13-2012 21:11:15 | More by oberon
Mantooth

3.55/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from a bomber into a Southern Tier Tulip glass.

A: Pours a lovely dark brown with hazy orange highlights, a thin long lasting head and creamy collar of randomly sticky lacing.

S: Very nice nose here - lots of milk chocolate, caramel, vanilla, toffee, banana, spices, roasted malt and just a smidge of bubblegum.

T: Follows the nose to a large degree, more chocolate, cinnamon, clove, roasted grains and some pepper in the finish.

M: There's an initial creaminess that quickly steps aside for the arrival of a dry rye mouthfeel.

O: It says on the label it won this name by popular vote, just edging out "Touched by a Dunkel," oh my.

02-21-2012 01:55:49 | More by Mantooth
gorby16

03-04-2012 03:11:20 | More by gorby16
tdm168

3.48/5  rDev +5.1%

Thanks to Hoyt for bringing this to the tasting.

Pours a dark amber-hazelnut color with a soft, white head that has decent retention. The nose has notes of banana and white grapes; fruity and simple. The taste is peppery up front with the rye coming through. There is some faint clove spice, some very faint banana, and very subtle bubblegum notes in the finish. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied, smooth, and has decent carbonation.

This isn't a bad beer, but it's hardly intriguing. It's brewed to style, but not overly flavorful. The rye is nice and adds a nice peppery, spicy quality to the malt bill. I probably wouldn't buy a bottle, but the next time I stop by the brewery I'll try it on tap.

04-04-2012 13:44:13 | More by tdm168
SteveMi

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

On tap into a standard pint glass.

A - Dark in color, white head which dissipates pretty quickly.

S - Sweet, chocolate and rye.

T - The first half of the beer tasted amazing but after that I started to wander due to the mouth feel. The taste was a complex mix of chocolate, sweetness, grains and spices.

M - Initially creamy and carbonated but this is where the brew fell down for me. It's possible this is meant to imbibed quickly but after the first 10 minutes the beer felt pretty flat and stagnant. The carbonation was nearly gone as well.

O - I plan on trying this again to find out if my pour was just a dud. I've had a few other Roth brews and enjoyed them but this time I wasn't impressed.

05-07-2012 03:07:19 | More by SteveMi
Amalak

4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

11-23-2012 05:36:27 | More by Amalak
Yoda22

07-24-2012 16:57:18 | More by Yoda22
ozark123

1.63/5  rDev -50.8%

Not as dark as a dunkel should be. Almost no head on the pour. Distinct metallic taste on the finish. I sampled with two other people and all found this to be pretty undrinkable. Having tasted some good Dunkelweizens, this one is at the bottom of my list, for sure.

10-29-2012 17:19:15 | More by ozark123
RedneckBeerz

3.58/5  rDev +8.2%

This is my 1st Roth brew and one of my favorite styles of beer. Working 3rd shift, there is nothing better than coming home at 8:30 am to a nice Dark Wheat German brew.

I was fortunate to find and fall in love with a Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse Dunkel shortly after starting to drink real beer and it is this brew that I judge others by.

Off we go to Rath's interpritation of this style. Poured from a bomber into a Spatan Octoberfest Weizen glass. The brew pours a cloudy medium brown color (perhaps a few SRM's short of what I would consider a Dunkel brown) with a 2+ Finger foamy frothy sandy brown head that hangs around for a bit with nice frothy lacing on the glassware.

The aroma is spot on with banana and clove notes, but then there is a hint of rye.

The rye spiciness comes forward more in the mouth and on the tongue as the brew is consumed. It competes a little to much with the wheat and yeast for me. While a spiciness is normal for a Weizen, I don't think rye is the way to go (just my lowly opinion).

I'm not out to beat up the brewery nor the brew, but to me the mouthfeel is on the thin side and while it does have some complexity, I think it's stumbled off the Dunkelweizen path way.

I'm glad I had a chance to try it, but I think it falls well short of what I consider a great Dunkelweizen.

03-03-2012 14:46:52 | More by RedneckBeerz
UltimateLivewire

South Carolina

06-02-2012 14:44:42 | More by UltimateLivewire
Cylinsier

tap

Pours a brownish red color with a lacing of head.

Toffee and toasted cocoa notes in the nose.

Cocoa and caramel flavor along with a bit of dark wheat malt.

Medium body with a low carbonation.

Good solid enjoyable brew, nothing special though, but well done and I would have it again. It certainly piqued my interest enough that I want to try more from this microbrewery.

05-31-2012 02:22:07 | More by Cylinsier
rfbenavi80

Missouri

3.78/5  rDev +14.2%

Bottle brought home by a friend.
Bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A- Pours a very murky light chestnut color with 2 fingers of light tan head that fades pretty quickly leaving no lacing.

S- Smells like a wheat should. Lots of bubblegum yeast. Banana and clove mixed with sweet caramel malty aromas one expects from it being a dunkel. Well done.

T- Follows nose well. Smooth easy drinking wheat flavors make this one go down easy.

M- Nice creamy mouthfeel, medium bodied, and well carbonated.

O- I enjoyed this. A nice take on the style. Far from one of the best, but still worth trying.

09-19-2012 00:39:09 | More by rfbenavi80