Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy IPA - Twisted Pine Brewing Company

Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy IPATwisted Pine Hoppy Boy IPA

Twisted Pine Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: mentor on 01-08-2005

Hoppy Boy India Pale Ale is Twisted Pine Brewing Company’s flagship beer. With a rocky ivory head, star-bright golden orange color, and massive hop aroma, Hoppy Boy is the quintessential American IPA. Citrus, resin, and a hint of malt not only greet your nose, but also your taste buds, while a smooth, lingering bitterness leaves your palate refreshed with every sip. Hoppy Boy IPA is a perfect marriage of malts and hops that is as bold as it is balanced, and thus exemplifies what American craft beer is all about.

4.23/5  rDev +26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A:This pours a nice dark gold with a 2+ inch head into the new IPA glass. The glass, at 19 oz., holds the whole pint can and head perfectly.

S: Nice citrus/pine notes in the aroma.

T: OK, taste is subjective and this particular IPA doesn't seem to get a lot of love here but it just works for me. Very nice pine and citrus notes with just enough bitter to enhance the taste but not burn out the taste buds.

M: Mouthfeel is light medium to medium. I think this is, in part, due to the lower, for an IPA, ABV.

O: This is one of my favorite beers. I've kept some in my fridge at all times since I first discovered it. In part, this may be due to the fact that I can get it in a 16 oz. can, my favorite take home beer style. (725 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz can into a pine glass. Nice Orange -amber color. Big white head, nicely carbonated with good head retention. Bands of lacing on the glass. Nice looking beer.

Aroma provides a whiff of hops bitterness. Not much else...no pine/citrus/floral etc.

Taste is ok. Good hops bitterness without any signature hops flavors. A malty balance at the end. Certainly a thirst quencher and good with food but not a memorable IPA.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, it is still crisp and bitter.

Overall, not bad. Provided in cans so it is portable everywhere, Tastes ok but not memorable. Good average IPA. (604 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes on 4-11
Can > Pint Glass
A - Pours a hazy copper, 2 finger head, but fades fast, and leaves little lacing.
S - Big pine aroma and honey as well, some sweet malt, but other than pine, there's no other hop aroma.
T - Way too much sweet malt goin on, some orange juice, honey, and a big pine bitter finish.
M - Medium, finishes much better than it stars with.
O - Very weak IPA, there's an excess of sweetness from the malt, and its just not executed well. (476 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a mostly clear amber color with a 1 finger head and some lacing.

S: Sweet malt aromas accompany the hops.

T: The taste on this one disappoints. It tastes watered down. It's bitter, but very underwhelming.

M: Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

O: This isn't one I'll be buying again. (347 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

- packaging 1 pint tallboy can.

A: Princeton orange coloring with a light translucent nature. An oatmeal tinted head is bready in texture, an inch high, with a fair timimg of retention. A light spacious rise of effervesce with a fair spongy adoring of lace.

S: Not getting alot of love from the nose. Very weak aromatically, toasted sweetness jumps out at you first with some cereal grains, which is more dominant then the mooted hopping which would be dissppointing for most faux craft pales. Indistinguishable hop aroma, was expecting a big wiff of fresh, sticky, wet pine. Its a shame that the label itself couldn't even impose some level of subliminal measure.

T: Really sweet upfront, and finally some life of hops emerge. Toasted sweet character is followed by some dare i say dry pine hop influence, though of only low to moderate appeal. The complexity is very linear, as to be expected,with some dry orange grinds, toasted bread and starchy pine coming on the finish. There is a hint of dry lemony citrus.

M: Mouthful is a bit light in substance and carbonation. Not a lot of crispness, rather a laid back and lazy feel, no hop pop.

O: Overall a somewhat passable level of ibus that somehow never really shine in thier appeal, an average complexity, and very linear flow of hop flavors with a weak malt backing. The hop bitterness leans towards the bitterness spectrum of the drink, early boil, where as i feel a fresh hopping late boil would produce more fresh, wet, sticky pine flavors and something that would let it stand out a bit more and be more intune with the label and name then just another average example that showed very little creativity. An overall perfect example of a C effort and drinking exeperience that i would hardly bother to consider for repeatability. (1,796 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A- Pours a golden amber with an off white head. head retention is nice, but the lacing is inconsistent. Just random blotches of foam that stick to the sides of the glass.

S- Caramel, malt, grapefruit peel, mild piney hops.

T- Piney, floral hops. This fades rather quickly into an extremely sharp hop/grapefruit bitterness. The finish remains bitter, but shows some notes of lemon and a very slight malt presence.

M- Very light, dry, light carbonation. Not much going on here.

O- It's a bitter IPA with very little malt presence at all. I could have done with some more body on this one. Just too watery for me. (615 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle

A- super light copper color half inch head. No lacing.

S- light. Slight caramel, and slight earthy hops. Pale.

T- water with slight pale grain tones, a bit of bitterness, good hop flavor.

M- light and watery. A bit of hop body.

O- good hop flavor, a bit lacking in body, and bitterness. but an easy drinker.

Enjoy (334 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +17.3%

There's a lot of pine on this one (irony??). Resin hits the nose. Resin hits the palate. Pretty decent lasting flavor profile. I can dig this. It's certainly more deep a flavor profile than the vibrant citric-toned stuff you see, but it works for me. Nice feel. Very easy to drink. (281 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Twisted pine Hoppy Boy is a very bitter beer. Bitter and dry. If you like them bitter, drink this.
I don't. I like flavor, this has no flavor.
In my glass its a lighter amber, cloudy with a slim head.
Aroma is dry and bitter smelling while the taste is similar also, dry and bitter.
There is a astringent metalic aftertaste.
I'm disappointed with this one. (356 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottom Line Up Front: This is a very hoppy IPA that lingers with you even when you're done. I think if you're a 'hop head' then you will probably appreciate this beer.

Decanted a 12oz bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Very foamy pour. Pillowy head and head retention retention was great. Darker golden color. Make sure to pour this one REAL slow otherwise it'll spill over real quick.

Smell: Hop resins, bread, pine

Taste: It is very bitter. I had a hard time picking out any malts that would have balanced it out. It's just hops hops hops. Not that that is a bad thing if that is what you're looking for.
(I know this is strange but I also tasted pepper or capsaicin. It wasn't spicy as in heat, but in one of my home brews it had that flavor.)

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated. Maybe too carbonated for my taste. Medium body on the palate.

Overall: It's an interesting IPA that is worth trying once but not a go-to IPA for me. I am curious to try other offerings from Twisted Pine. (988 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Saw this on the shelf and thought it looked good. Did not look it up or anything before purchase; trying now for the first time.

Poured from a 16oz can into a perfect pint glass. Strong appearance, crisp dark orange/red coloring; puffy off-white head, chunks of lacing. Very decent looking.

To be honest when I first opened the can it smelled amazing: a bit dry but nice pine and malted hop aromas. These pretty much disappeared when poured. What's in the glass now is fairly average, maybe slightly above. Smells like a very watered down version of what I got up front. It's not bad at all, it's just not terribly robust or forward. I generally prefer my IPA's to be more aromatic than this.

Taste is similar, but I somehow enjoy it. It's not great, and if I had a choice between this and adjunct lager, I'd take this any day of the week. It's crisp and refreshing, with pine and malt most noticeable, albeit underwhelming. Bitter.

Feel is substantive, at least medium carbonation and overall enjoyable.

I might pick this up again, but maybe only to share with others. It's a fairly average IPA and when there are so many higher quality IPAs out there why not go back to something I love and enjoy? I am glad I tried Hoppy Boy, at any rate. Cheers (1,253 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -15.2%

So I went to the store to do some Hopslam reconnaissance. I know it hasn't hit town yet, but I am trying to see when it will be around. The girl at the store told me it would be at least next week, but if I am looking for a good IPA, I should try this... I had never heard of this brewer before, but I love trying new IPA's, so I figured I would give it a try.
I poured the beer and it had barely any head on it and barely any smell. It has a piney hop taste to it, but nothing too unique. It goes down pretty easy, but at $12 a 6 pack, I will not be getting this one again. Good thing I got some Lagunitas Sucks to wash this down with. (636 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy has a thick, tight, creamy, off-white head, a very hazy yellow-golden appearance, with lots of different-sized floating chunks, and a good amount of splotchy lacing left on the glass. The aroma is white bread crust, white bread, and some piney citrus rind. Taste is of the same, with sugar, caramel, and some toffee in there. Bitterness is moderate to strong with this one, and it’s a straight-forward bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy finishes dry, bitter, and sweet. No alcohol shows up here. I rate this one highly- it’s really nice.

RJT (604 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Dark ruby red, almost blood red. Clarity is decent, nothing special. Head is two-finger white-green foam. Lacing is niiice.

Aroma is awful. Watery, bland, wet hay, bready...

Biting bitterness. Not much hop oil or flavors... Blend is off an watery. Thin, bready, nice carbonation, zero sweetness, barn-y, and soapy. Tastes like liquid carpet.

Not my speed, can't recommend. Nothing hoppy or IPA forward. Blend is off and should be rewritten.. (445 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Thanks to johnyb for this can!

And to think I thought I was being all clever and whatnot when I named my little joey "Hoppy Boy"... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear sunrise amber topped by a finger of dusty cream-white foam. The nose comprises pine needles, mild pine resin, light oak, and backbone of nutty toffee. The taste brings in more of the same, with the toffee taking a firm lead (particularly in the nutty department). The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly drying finish. Overall, a nice enough IPA, one that favors balance over palate-assaulting hop carnage. Fair 'nuff. (655 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

This poured out as an orange color with a decent sized white head on top. The retention and lacing were really nice on this beer for sure. The smell of the beer had some decent hop aromas but also had some off aromas in there too that weren't all that appealing. The taste followed the nose, its had some funky earthy musty flavors with some piney hop flavors in there also. Strange flavors but not terrible. The mouthfeel was pretty good, soft, gently carbonated and drinkable. Overall it's a decent brew just wasn't sure about some of the flavors it had. It's still probably worth trying if you're interested. (611 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured into a Magic Hat #9 pint glass. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a medium amber color with a 1/4 inch off-white head that retains nicely before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and a solid, thick sheet of surface foam. Good lacing that's thick and sticky.

S- Earthy hop aroma with vegetable and cannabis notes.

T- More earthy hops in the flavor that brings to mind celery, peas and cabbage. Very easy to drink with minimal alcohol flavor. Very mild citrus aftertaste. There's a slight metallic flavor that could just be mental since it's out of a can.

M- Pretty creamy actually with a small amount of oily slickness. Medium carbonation and a standard IPA body.

O- Nothing too special but it gets the job done if you're looking for something moderately hoppy. (792 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed at the brewery:

Small head; exceptional lacing; lightly hopped; easily sessionable; light in color, prob. light abv w/o knowing; guessing under 60IBUs as well; expect more of a hop-forward flavor from TP's primary hop beer. Overally, not bad but certainly not exceptional. (281 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -0.6%

A shout out to woodychandler for the hook up with this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of piney hops. Taste is mild, some piney hops, a light bitterness, a bit of malts. Drinks more like a pale ale than an IPA. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer. (328 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap at Pinocchio's, Media, PA. Review from notes.

Pours lightly hazed, burnished orange, with a small head, decent retention and lacing.

Typical west coast hop palette, lots of citrusy notes; grapefruit and orange; secondary notes of lemon and pine; fairly aggressive bitterness, not a ton of subtlety. Restrained but present caramel malt character. Finish is mostly dry; bitterness fades slowly. Medium body and carbonation, kind of average feel and all around, really.

Nice enough IPA I suppose, but not a standout in a crowded field. This style has gotten so refined at this point that a beer like this that might have been fairly exciting three years ago is now exceedingly unexceptional. (698 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +17%

I am pretty sure that blargimus sent this one to me in a trade in support of The CANQuest (TM), but if the credit should be going to any of my other supporters, let me know and I CAN correct my mistake.

From the CAN: "Tall Hoppy Can"; "Hoppy beer lover's [sic] rejoice! Hoppy Boy IPA is Twisted Pine's most popular beer and our first entry into the expanding world of handcrafted ales in [CANs]. The unique combination of Chinook, Cascade and Northern Brewer hops varieties conspire to produce this flavorful and balanced brewer's delight."

Once again, the Crack revealed a beer that was as eager to come out and greet me as a small puppy awaiting its master by the door. The Glug proved to be a tall order from the tall CAN and I had to back off, lest I overflow the glass. The massive two-plus fingers of dense, French Vanilla-colored head sat atop the beer in utter defiance of my desire to begin drinking, evincing great retention. Color was a golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like a pine forest and I was suddenly jonesing for some hops. My hops monkey began to screech and I could wait no longer! Mouthfeel was medium and as I took that first sip, the mountainous head suddenly fell like a souffle when the oven door is banged shut. The hops rolled across my tongue and down my throat like an avalanche in an evergreen forest. It was literally breathtaking! Sticky lacing began to appear in the glass and now the monkey was howling, forcing me to take another draught, rather than savoring the initial one. Finish was semi-dry with the caramel malt getting its final licks in before the hops remained in the beer's wake. My my my. I would definitely give this some cooler space. (1,705 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

I don't understand why everyone hatin on this; it's a perfectly tasty, refreshing IPA. I don't always need my mouth scoured by hops and this is a nice, easy-drinking IPA that goes great with food. It's got a typical grassy hop profile, is well carbonated and goes great with the spicy garlic sauce pasta I'm enjoying right now. Not everything has to be "extreme" or flavor bombs. I wish I had more than 1 tall boy, it's quite drinkable. (436 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +18.5%

16 oz can, no date.

appears a hazy golden color- bone white head. decent retention. very pleasant hoppy aroma. earthy, piney, spicey, orange peel. hops dominate the taste as well, but aren't overpowering. nice flavors. balanced, neither sweet nor bitter. medium body, good level of carbonation. smooth mouthfeel.

overall - easy drinking for an IPA, could drink a few pints in a row. (386 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -13.1%

12oz CAN into a Founders pint glass.

Hoppy Boy comes out golden bright with some shades of burnt orange in the center and with a stealth pour came out with a 1/4 inch of firm white stuff that left a sparse cap. Nice Clingage. This IPA does not smell like much, it reminds me of some Breckinridge pales i've had and it's not pretty. Old pale malt some old earth and something I cant place. Taste is a step up though, starts out with a mix of earth over citrus, slight pine with some tropics, sappy Very grassy. I don't know if it's the yeast or malt (or both) but what I smelled ruins the finish on this otherwise nicely hopped single eye pee ayyy. A good start a bad finish with a bit of a metallic taste. Feel is where it's at, light and bitter in the middle, the finish is a let down though. (795 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -31.9%

$2.75 tall boy can from Abe's.

Light orange hazy body, a dull finish. Topped by four fingers of snow white rocky foam made up of bubbles of all sizes. Very good lacing.

Aroma of apricot and orange, put followed by an off putting whiff of cleanser, which blunts all else.

The whole taste hits at once. Hugely bitter and not in a good way, mixed with a touch of cleanser, any sweetness and fruit is nuked away. Very one dimensional.

I love bitter and abrasive in an IPA, but this doesn't work at all for me. Not recommended. (528 characters)

Twisted Pine Hoppy Boy IPA from Twisted Pine Brewing Company